What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Last few: 

Meshuggah - Immutable   ...first time (finally) getting all the way through, and it's fun; there are some intriguing moments that go beyond the usual schtick. Hats off to Meshuggah for developing that schtick in the first place, regardless of how tiresome it gets. Not so immutable after all. 

Opeth - Ghost Reveries 

Opeth - Deliverance

Overkill - Bloodletting

Overkill - Killbox 13

1 hour ago, Dead1 said:

I agree they've done some decent stuff since Horrorscope and there's usually something decent on each one.  But none are are hard hitting or memorable (Ironbound pick of litter for post Horrorscope).  I even like stuff off albums ala Necroshine.  Only album I find unlistenable is W.F.O. due to horrid production.

I will admit I have not heard The Wings of War.  Electric Age and Grinding Wheel were so derivative and sounded so much like they were on autopilot, I didn't bother.

Only Horrorscope, Taking Over, and the deut (nostalgia) and can top these two bad motherfuckers afaic. All killer no filler. I think Killbox might be just a tad better overall with 0 tracks I would ever want to skip, but Bloodletting has two of my all-time favorite Overkill tracks: When Death Comes Out to Play, and Left Hand Man. By my reckoning Ironbound is way way down the list with 3 solid tracks and a bunch of filler. Like you said, all their albums have something good to be found on them (besides maybe the turd Immortalis which I rank dead fucking last) so it really all comes down to which individual tracks might happen to appeal to any of us the most.

And please take note Deadovic, I'm not trying to be contentious or argumentative, I just find it too difficult to resist any opportunity I'm given to talk about the mighty Overkill. I guess they're to me what Maiden or Megadeth is to you. Bobby Blitz just had his 63rd birthday last week, I do like that he's one of the few thrash guys that's a little older than me, makes me feel young. I just saw them two months ago and he's showing no signs of slowing down. Although he does look like he's stopped working out and he's stopped performing shirtless. And I wish he'd shave that ridiculous mustache haha.

HAUNTED - Discarnate Ails. Listened to the whole thing. Good.

DER WEG EINER FREIHEIT - Noktvrn. Gave this another listen after a long interval, and it has significantly gone down in my estimation. Too smooth, too nice and not as clever as all that.

Accordingly I am now giving another listen to an album that came out about the same time, and which I didn't like as much as the DWEF at first. PLEBEIAN GRANDSTAND - Rein ne suffit. And I am getting more out of this than the DWEF even though I still think it probably a bit too self consciously wacky.

1 hour ago, JorKid said:

Can't say I've ever listened to Overkill, I guess I wrote them off with Anthrax upon sampling a couple songs.  Probably unfairly dismissed.  Although seeing Anthrax at least twice live I might be correct with that one.

You're from the wrong generation for Overkill Josh, they were NY 80's thrash icons. And while there are some younger dudes who are pretty heavily into thrash, if you're not really into 80's thrash (which I suspect you're not) then you probably wouldn't find much to like about a band like Overkill. Indeed if I was under 40 today I probably wouldn't bother with any 80's thrash at all either since I'm a black and death and crust and punk guy primarily. But I'm old so I have a long and sordid history with some of these 80's bands from my youth. There's a lot of nostalgia attached to some of those old bands.                                                        

What I really like about Overkill is that DD Verni released a swing album and it's pissed off the die hard thrash fans who can't bring themselves to listen to anything but thrash and hate it when their heroes sway into other genres of music. It's nearly on a par with Skolnick doing jazz hands but I think less people cared about Alex.

Skeleton Pit - Chaos At The Mosh Reactor

5 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

What I really like about Overkill is that DD Verni released a swing album and it's pissed off the die hard thrash fans who can't bring themselves to listen to anything but thrash and hate it when their heroes sway into other genres of music. It's nearly on a par with Skolnick doing jazz hands but I think less people cared about Alex.

Haha when we went to see them 2 months ago my buddy and I stopped in for a bite to eat at a local restaurant while the opening band was playing. He played a video of DD doing his rockabilly thing for me on his phone and I had to laugh, mostly at the outfit he was wearing. I remember DD on one of the Overkill dvds had an interview on the bonus disc where he was saying he just couldn't understand how people could think they're metalheads if they listen to other 'softer' genres of music, he was 100% metal through and through 100% of the time. And now here he is 20 years later doing a Rockabilly album! Personally I don't see how side projects have any bearing on what he does in Overkill, his hobbies are really none of my business. I actually kinda liked the Bronx Casket Company project he did some years back, in the oughts I guess it was. Not even sure what genre you'd call that, some kind of gothic rock or something I guess. Horror Punk one youtube comment says, but that's not right, there's nothing remotely punk about this besides having a member of the Misfits in the band.

Bronx Casket Company - Little Dead Girl

21 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Haha when we went to see them 2 months ago my buddy and I stopped in for a bite to eat at a local restaurant while the opening band was playing. He played a video of DD doing his rockabilly thing for me on his phone and I had to laugh, mostly at the outfit he was wearing. I remember DD on one of the Overkill dvds had an interview on the bonus disc where he was saying he just couldn't understand how people could think they're metalheads if they listen to other 'softer' genres of music, he was 100% metal through and through 100% of the time. And now here he is 20 years later doing a Rockabilly album! Personally I don't see how side projects have any bearing on what he does in Overkill, his hobbies are really none of my business. I actually kinda liked the Bronx Casket Company project he did some years back, in the oughts I guess it was. Not even sure what genre you'd call that, some kind of gothic rock or something I guess. Horror Punk one youtube comment says, but that's not right, there's nothing remotely punk about this besides having a member of the Misfits in the band.

Bronx Casket Company - Little Dead Girl

I agree, I don't care that he has a rockabilly thing going. It might be good or it might be bad, but unless he starts breaking out with rockabilly sounds in the middle of an Overkill gig I can't see an issue.

I didn't mind the Bonx Casket Co, (4 albums between 2000 and 2011), I think the last album was a bit lack lustre and probably a good thing he didn't continue further though.

I did hear the same comments about both his bands though, from the same people. They stopped short of saying they'd never listen to Overkill again but they were pretty damn heated with their dislike for him doing something else.

Skeleton Pit - Lust to Lynch

Tzompantli - Tlazcaltiliztli, SOCAL. This came recommended by friends like that Altar/Cartilage split did earlier today. I was expecting some kind of Native American-Aztec-Mexican mish mash of blackened folk metal along the lines of Pan Amerikan Native Front, but what I got was swampy plodding death metal with some native war drums and war chants/yelps/howls. Which can be cool sometimes if I'm on the warpath, but the jury's still out on this one. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely enjoying this on first listen, but with the slow plodding tempo I would not be surprised if it were to wear out its welcome rather quickly. Had such great potential though, if it just had a few more faster parts to break up the monotony of the unrelenting slowness it could have been fantastic.

Tzompantli - Tlamanalli (EP) 2019, see now his first 20 minute EP was really good, plenty of different tempos. What a letdown to go from something as good as this to the plodding new album.

25 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Kreator - Maximum Hate

(Metal Hammer compilation not the new album due next month)

15 albums and I only liked the first 2. Maybe Mille should do a rockabilly album or polka or something traditionally Bavarian to mix things up a bit. Although when I pitched the idea to him this was his response. Hoping he warms up to the idea once he's had the chance to think it over a bit.

Kreator's Mille Petrozza Is Still the Angriest Vegan in Metal

39 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Vital Spirit - Still as the Night, Cold as the Wind, Canadian black

Already onto this. Enjoyed it.

I continue to wander through my prior purchases. This afternoon CONVERGE & CHELSEA WOLFE - Bloodmoon I. Pretty boring actually. I shouldn't have bothered with it.

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I actually kinda liked the Bronx Casket Company project he did some years back, in the oughts I guess it was. Not even sure what genre you'd call that, some kind of gothic rock or something I guess. Horror Punk one youtube comment says, but that's not right, there's nothing remotely punk about this besides having a member of the Misfits in the band.

I actually bought the first BCC album blindly when it came out because I liked a song they had on a CD sampler (remember those?). I think it might've been Mercy Ltd. They were probably strongly influenced by Type O and goth rock(abilly) like Tiger Army I think.