What Are You Listening To?

khaos

2 hours ago, zackflag said:

Ultha - Pain Cleanses Every Doubt

Ultha - Converging Sins

These guys are my favourite new discovery of 2022.

I'll have to check out their new one. I remember really liking Converging Sins quite a bit several years back whichever year that was, but then I lost track of them after that and I don't think I've heard anything from them since.

Just heard a new record from a band called Ulthar the other day, and at first I was thinking 'wow they've really changed their sound a lot since Converging Sins' but then I looked them up and realized that was a different band with a different spelling from a different part of the world playing a different sub-genre.

New one from et moriemur mixing atmospheric doom with Japanese themes featuring choir, cellos,harps bits and some Japanese instruments I can't pronounce. 

It's so niche I'm thinking, really is because most people who like traditional Japanese stuff will not like the metal bits and the metal singing. where I'd say it's probably got not enough metal music in it for the metal fan to like. I don't think I've spoken to anyone who likes it apart from me. It was well reviewed. Also a shame the band does not tour outside Czech Republic much? I'm not aware of much tours. 

WALLFAHRER  - Den Menschen So Fern. Their new one. Good. A bit more mellow than I remember them being though.

HÄXENZIJRKELL - Die Nachtseite. Nothing wrong with this but it doesn't stand out.

THÅRN - Collisions. Saved from the same conclusion by the last track.

DOLDVORDE ENS NAVN - Mørkere. Dull.

7 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Paradise Lost - Draconian Times - I really do think this is their best album.

Paradise Lost became my favorite band very shortly after I first randomly discovered them in a record store in the early 90's. I had the records to listen to at home and then I made a 90 minute Maxell tape with Shades of God on one side and Icon on the other that I used to play on repeat in the car for weeks and months on end.

When Draconian came out in '95 I purchased it on cassette because I couldn't find it on vinyl, and I hadn't yet been convinced that the upstart CD format would still be around in the future. When I got it home and played it I was so shocked, disappointed, hurt and angry that my favorite band had gone soft on me that I threw the tape straight into the rubbish bin and I refused to listen to any of their stuff at all for months.

I eventually came around and started listening to Shades and Icon again because I loved those albums so much, but it took me many years to accept Draconian Times as anything but a complete piece of shit and an utter waste of time. I saw it as their black album, a total departure when compared to their previous masterpieces Ride the Lightning (Shades) and Master of Puppets (Icon).

Eventually decades later I've come around to be able to appreciate the album for what it is, and I will even listen to it occasionally. But from my perspective it'd be absolute lunacy even to suggest outloud that it might be their best album.

Obviously you're entitled to your own opinion, this one just surpises me a little knowing what I know about how you feel metal is supposed to kick your ass and smash your face in. Draconian is far from their most face-smashing album.

6 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Eventually decades later I've come around to be able to appreciate the album for what it is, and I will even listen to it occasionally. But from my perspective it'd be absolute lunacy even to suggest outloud that it might be their best album.

I had Draconian Times on repeat for a couple weeks when I first got it, and then all of a sudden it was like someone flipped a switch and I couldn't stand it anymore. I put it on again recently for old times' sake and couldn't make it through. I guess I just don't like Nick's singing voice. Gothic or bust.

NP: Death - Individual Thought Patterns

9 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

this one just surpises me a little knowing what I know about how you feel metal is supposed to kick your ass and smash your face in. Draconian is far from their most face-smashing album.

IMO Paradise Lost is one of those rare bands that was far better doing rockier stuff than more extreme stuff.

I actually found their death metal stuff boring for the most part.

Skyclad - Prince of the Poverty Line

Yes I finally own a copy of this!  One of my favourite albums of all time.  Phenomenal mix of song writing. riffs, fiddles and politically/socially charged lyrics.

Baardvader - Baardvader, fuzzed-out Dutch stoner doom 

Bong Wizard - Left Hand Pass, LA, their name says it all really

Phantom Druid - Death & Destiny, one man project from the Netherlands, sounds kinda like Trouble and Vitus teamed up and had Ozzy 'round to sing on the album. Except it's all one dude up in his attic.

39 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

IMO Paradise Lost is one of those rare bands that was far better doing rockier stuff than more extreme stuff.

I actually found their death metal stuff boring for the most part.

Skyclad - Prince of the Poverty Line

Yes I finally own a copy of this!  One of my favourite albums of all time.  Phenomenal mix of song writing. riffs, fiddles and politically/socially charged lyrics.

Early Skyclad is the best Skyclad

Satan's Taint - Axe To The Head Of My Enemies