What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Demoniac - So It Goes (2021)

A recommendation from another forumite elsewhere on the web.  Technical Chilean thrash metal that for some reason feels the need to blight itself with the inclusion of a saxophone.  Those wacky, jazzy Chileans eh?

When they are not fucking around with wind instruments they do have technical prowess and a level of primitive intensity to match.  I am not as sold on it as my contemporary is but it does have some merits.

WOMIT ANGEL - Sadopunk Finland

MORTIFAGIA - Death To False Metal

BAALZAGOTH - Morbid Persecutions

ABSCESS - Through The Cracks Of Death

21 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Baalzagoth - Morbid Persecutions, Polish black/death

Anti - The Insignificance of Life, German dbm

....why am I not surprised that we both are listening to this?.....nice one, man....

21 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

See what I mean?  Even you, Joe Comp Buyer, cite Don't Come Close as one of the weak points on that album. And yet that was one of only 5 songs out of the 12 total on that album that got the honor of being selected for the comp, while several other more deserving tunes were left off. I understand they're going for a mix of harder faster Johnny tunes and more mellow Joey tunes, but there are much better Joey tunes than Don't Come Close. 

Joe comp buyer, huh? I have a few comps but it's hardly my bread and butter. You overthink this stuff way more than I do. You're a bigger Ramones fan than I am. TBH my reaction to your post is, so what? You call me the diplomat, well here's a phrase, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. A bunch of tunes covering a band's entire discography. My attitude, is well, they had make choices, now didn't they? You certainly won't see me going album by album with a magnifying class, OMG, they didn't include this track. Outrageous!  I really don't sweat the details with this tiny little corner of my listening life. Life is short. 

1 hour ago, markm said:

Joe Comp Buyer, huh? I have a few comps but it's hardly my bread and butter. You overthink this stuff way more than I do. You're a bigger Ramones fan than I am. TBH my reaction to your post is, so what? You call me the diplomat, well here's a phrase, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. A bunch of tunes covering a band's entire discography. My attitude, is well, they had make choices, now didn't they? You certainly won't see me going album by album with a magnifying class, OMG, they didn't include this track. Outrageous!  I really don't sweat the details with this tiny little corner of my listening life. Life is short. 

Yeah, you've got my number, I'm a quibbler and a details sweater. Not to mention an overthinker. Life is short as I know only too well. But not short enough to let egregious stuff like this slide. I'm seriously considering writing my congressman. A Ramones comp without Loudmouth and I Don't Want You has got to be heresy, or treason, or insurrection, or one of those really terrible, unforgivable things. There's gotta be a line or two about this somewhere in the Constitution. If not then I guess I'll just have to lobby them lazy bastards in Washington to make a 28th Amendment. I shall not let this rest.

11 minutes ago, markm said:

Whatever

This morning's rock and punk genre shuffle.....with a comp or two for those random artists I just want a smattering for this kind of listening, by band and track, getting ready for work, having some coffee, probably listen to after work prepping dinner, includes:

• Kinks-Victoria
  • Circle-Rakkauta Al Dente
  • Pink Floyd-In the flesh
  • Integrity-Fallen to Destroy
  • Clash-I'm not Down
  • CCR-Hellow Mary Lou
  • Alabama Thunderpussy-R.R.C.C.
  • Savages-Marshall Dear
  • Ufommamut-Infernatural
  • Bad Religion
  • Violent Femmes-Gone Daddy Gone
  • Eric Clapton-She's Waiting
  • Nine Inch Nails-Kinda I Want to
  • Rich Kids on LSD-Hangover
  • MOb 47-Nedrusta Nu
  • Minutemen-Take 5, D. 
  • Swans-Bring the Sun/Tousaint L' Overture
  • Converge-Reptillian
  • Circle Jerks-Parade of the Horribles

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies