What Are You Listening To?

khaos

36 minutes ago, markm said:

Wolfbrigade/Run With The Hunted-Crust punk

Both this one and the Enemy: Reality are too rooted in Entombed style death metal for me think of them as crust punk.  The punk influence is still there as it is in a lot of extreme metal but the metal is dominant IMO.

35 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Both this one and the Enemy: Reality are too rooted in Entombed style death metal for me think of them as crust punk.  The punk influence is still there as it is in a lot of extreme metal but the metal is dominant IMO.

Wolfbrigade mixes death metal and hardcore in roughly equal percentages as I see it. They probably do lean a bit more towards metal, but to my ears there's a lot more d-beat happening here than Entombed. One wouldn't be wrong to consider them either death metal or hardcore, because they're both well represented in their sound. But that's the definition of 'crust' though anyway, the mixture of the two, hardcore punk & extreme metal. Without the heavy death metal overtones they'd just be a hardcore band. Different crust bands do mix them in different ways though, like I said you're not wrong to say it feels more like death metal to you.

Ursut - Köp Dig Lycklig, Sweden 2016

21 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Wolfbrigade mixes death metal and hardcore in roughly equal percentages as I see it. They probably do lean a bit more towards metal, but to my ears there's a lot more d-beat happening here than Entombed. One wouldn't be wrong to consider them either death metal or hardcore, because they're both well represented in their sound. But that's the definition of 'crust' though anyway, the mixture of the two, hardcore punk & extreme metal. Without the heavy death metal overtones they'd just be a hardcore band. Different crust bands do mix them in different ways though, like I said you're not wrong to say it feels more like death metal to you.

I get the definition, but to be honest a lot of their newer stuff on their last 2 albums leans towards more modern Entombed (think Uprising) or Entombed A.D. than it does to hardcore.

As stated the hardcore is there, it's just the lesser partner to the point I'd lump Wolfbrigade in as a metal act these days.

ALLEGAEON - Legacy of Ruin. Clever, well played and you can't hate it (you can if you like, GG)but in the end, just OK.

TARDIGRADA - Vom Bruch bis zur Freiheit. Warm and fuzzy. Good to very good.

HELL MILITIA - Hollow Void. How can a void be hollow...good fun, but.

Earlier, a couple more re-visits - NOLTEM - Illusions in the Wake. Kind of like a snack you enjoyed but forget as soon as you finish. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood. VEILBURNER - Lurkers in the Capsule of Skull. This is on the good side of OK, but the songs are too long, and some of the lead guitar is unimpressive -  maybe they are being ironic.

10 hours ago, Dead1 said:

I get the definition, but to be honest a lot of their newer stuff on their last 2 albums leans towards more modern Entombed (think Uprising) or Entombed A.D. than it does to hardcore.

As stated the hardcore is there, it's just the lesser partner to the point I'd lump Wolfbrigade in as a metal act these days.

TBH, when I listed them as such I was going off one of the genre tags on their Bandcamp album stream. 

8 hours ago, Thatguy said:

ALLEGAEON - Legacy of Ruin. Clever, well played and you can't hate it (you can if you like, GG)but in the end, just OK.

TARDIGRADA - Vom Bruch bis zur Freiheit. Warm and fuzzy. Good to very good.

HELL MILITIA - Hollow Void. How can a void be hollow...good fun, but.

Earlier, a couple more re-visits - NOLTEM - Illusions in the Wake. Kind of like a snack you enjoyed but forget as soon as you finish. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood. 

VEILBURNER - Lurkers in the Capsule of Skull. This is on the good side of OK, but the songs are too long, and some of the lead guitar is unimpressive -  maybe they are being ironic.

Allegaeon. Cannot find an album or even a song on M-A's database by Denver's Allegaeon entitled 'Legacy of Ruin' but I did find their most recent album released on February 25th entitled 'Damnum.' Could not force myself to finish this entire hour-long album, but halfway through I've heard enough to know that I can say without reservation that I fucking hate this. Now I won't say I hate it as much as stuff that I well and truly despise like: Archspire, Voivod, Vektor, Ad Nauseam, Pyrrhon, Imperial Triumphant, Plebian Grandstand, Pantera or the Police (the band the Police, not the actual Police, although I am not a big fan of theirs either), but yet after careful consideration I don't think hate is too strong of a word. I can clearly see why you modern metal & prog metal guys would be all over this, they're obviously talented musicians or whatever but for me extreme metal needs to be evil, dirty and grimy. Like much of what I hear in 'modern metal' there's just no filth at all to be found here, no grit, no balls, no hostility, no violation, no defilement. It's heavy in spots but still it's just much much too modern sounding for me. The tweedly-deedly guitar fills & flourishes as well as every tone choice for every instrument sound suck balls. And those high mellifluous cleans are guaranteed to get me every time like a 10 penny nail to the eardrums. GTFOH with that shit guys. Best part of this album was the acoustic interludes.

Allegaeon - Damnum

I did manage to locate an album on M-A by an Oregon band by the name of Eight Bells who released their latest album on February 25th as well, entitled Legacy of Ruin which has been purported to be: Experimental/Doom/Post Rock/Progressive Sludge Metal. So now my problem is I don't actually know which of these records you were talking about in your post. So I guess I'll have to dial this one up now too, hang on....🕥  OK I'm back. This is not my cuppa obviously, but I would not say that I hate this. It's just too soft and posty for me. So I shall simply choose to disregard it and go on with my life as if it didn't exist.

Eight Bells - Legacy of Ruin

So I guess warm & fuzzy Tardigrada is up next. Black & white hand drawn cover showing the dam breaking, that's a good sign. Yes this is more my speed, I'm back in more famiiar territory of atmo-black. Nothing really stands out about this one though. I mean it's OK, I could easily make it to the end of this one but it's nothing I'll be thinking about wanting to listen to again later tonight. Gonna have to pass.

Tardigrada - Vom Bruch bis zur Freiheit

Hell Militia. I had heard this one already a couple of times when it first came out about a month ago but it never really grabbed me so it was not a purchase and I had all but forgotten about it. French black metal can be hit or miss for me.  This one was a miss. Nothing really wrong with it, but there were no catchy riffs and it lacks a certain killer instinct that I look for in my black metal. 

Hell Militia - Hollow Void

Noltem - Illusions in the Wake, yes forgettable empty musical calories indeed, but I can't say this is a snack I enjoyed. Booooooring. Don't know what else to say about this album, I have forgotten most of this already while it's still playing. Can't think of a reason for this to exist. I'll have to make a mental note to avoid Transcending Obscurity in the future because ironically all their releases seem destined for obscurity.

Noltem - Illusions in the Wake

And finally guess I'll check in on the ironic lead work of Veilburner. This one just bored me to be honest. There's certainly some stuff going on here for 53 minutes, but none of it was terribly interesting. Many in the comments section were talking of this in album of the year terms which I found quite amusing. Not that it's really so terrible or anything, (aside from the amateurish lead work which tries to be weird to cover up the fact they aren't very good at lead guitar) but this definitely would not be a purchase for me. A little less atmosphere & weirdness, and maybe a few more riffs next time guys.

Veilburner - Lurkers in the Capsule of Skull, 2021

1 hour ago, markm said:

TBH, when I listed them as such I was going off one of the genre tags on their Bandcamp album stream. 

Dialed up Wolfbrigade's latest The Enemy: Reality just to refresh my memory, and one of the Yotube comments was "Take one part Motorhead, one part Discharge and one part Dismember. Mix roughly. Fucking love this band" That sounds about right to me. I will say they do sound a lot more like fellow Swedes Entombed on this one than I had remembered. But that just tells me that Entombed had gotten more crusty/punky than I'd remembered, not that Wolfbrigade no longer qualifies as a crust band. To be honest, I only ever really listen to the first few Entombed releases, I've never been a huge fan and I have not kept up with what they've been up to over the last 20 years or the A.D. version of the band or anything. I'm more of a Wolfbrigade fan. But I usually go with the middle releases: Prey '07, Comalive '08 and Damned '12.

Wolfbrigade - The Enemy: Reality 2019

Entombed - Uprising

Pseudogod - Triumphus Serpentis Magni, comp 2010, basically the 3 tracks from their 2009 split with Blaze of Perdition plus a couple of unreleased tracks.

Pseudogod - Deathwomb Catechesis, Russian black/death 2012, their full length. 10 years and I'm still waiting for another. There was a brief EP in 2014.

Darkthrone - Ravishing Grimness, 1999

On 4/11/2022 at 4:14 PM, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

PHARMACIST - Flourishing Extremities On Unspoiled Mental Grounds

This is so fkn good, just getting around to it now. Japanese band, sounds like Carcass worship to me but it's done very well, this is mandatory listening. 700 Yen for digital which works out to $5.58 US, quite reasonable I think for a 46 minute album of quality riffy death metal or deathgrind such as this. Good lookin' out. Guess I'll have to check out the debut from 2020 next.

Pharmacist - Medical Renditions of Grinding Decomposition