What Are You Listening To?

khaos

23 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I seem to be stuck in a Solitude Aeturnus loop, I can't help myself. Finally have a chance to sit down for 90 minutes and listen to some music for a little bit before I have to go out at 2:30 and I just go right back to where I was last night. Love this album. For anyone not familiar they're like Candlemass and get the 'epic doom' tag but they sound a bit more American, from Texas. Vocalist Rob Lowe actually did a stint in Candlemass about 10 - 15 years back. 

Through the Darkest Hour 

I have that Solitude Aeturnus album, myself. I haven't heard it in years-good prompt for me to revisit. My doom habits have changed along with the genre. And doom is one of my favorite genres in all it's forms. Other than MDB who I have a soft spot and stoner doom which I still like, I rarely listen to clean so called epic doom anymore even though I enjoy it when I randomly listen. I'd much rather it mixed with other influences like YOB or Sub Rosa, sludge or blackened sludge....more along the lines of Lord Mantis or Miznor or Primitive Man or something along those lines. But Solitude had a good sound and  Rob Lowe is a great clean metal vocalist. 

I was never a hyuge Def Leppard fan. I was more like to listen to AC/DC or Twisted Sister or Motely Crue back then. I think High N' Dry and Pyro were the only albums I actually owned. Those of us old enough to live through that time ended up buying the many of the same albums we had  on vinyl in CD form in the 90's and I never did that with Def L until a few years ago and grabbed a comp but never really listen to it because of all the later songs I have no interest in. The comp has a lot of pyro on it and I grabbed High'N'Dry recently and called it a day. I've never heard their first album but sill the think HND is worthy. Actually, it's one of the better popular albums of the early 80's. 

3 hours ago, markm said:

I have that Solitude Aeturnus album, myself. I haven't heard it in years-good prompt for me to revisit. My doom habits have changed along with the genre. And doom is one of my favorite genres in all it's forms. Other than MDB who I have a soft spot and stoner doom which I still like, I rarely listen to clean so called epic doom anymore even though I enjoy it when I randomly listen. I'd much rather it mixed with other influences like YOB or Sub Rosa, sludge or blackened sludge....more along the lines of Lord Mantis or Miznor or Primitive Man or something along those lines. But Solitude had a good sound and  Rob Lowe is a great clean metal vocalist. 

I was never a huge Def Leppard fan. I was more likely to listen to AC/DC or Twisted Sister or Motely Crue back then. I think High N' Dry and Pyro were the only albums I actually owned. Those of us old enough to live through that time ended up buying many of the same albums we had on vinyl in CD form in the 90's and I never did that with Def L until a few years ago and grabbed a comp but never really listen to it because of all the later songs I have no interest in. The comp has a lot of pyro on it and I grabbed High'N'Dry recently and called it a day. I've never heard their first album but sill the think HND is worthy. Actually, it's one of the better popular albums of the early 80's. 

I really don't listen to a lot of doom, of any variety. But especially not much that has clean vocals. Except for Black Sabbath if you consider them doom, I never go more than a few weeks without a Sabbath album. Until the other day I don't think I had even listened to any Solitude Aeturnus in probably 5 years at least. But for whatever reason I got a wild hair up my ass the other night and ended up listening to all the band's albums for nearly 2 days & nights straight with only a few divergences during that time. Probably played my favorite one, Through the Darkest Hour, 12 or 15 times in 3 days like it was some new album I was high on. I think I have it out of my system now because I've managed to listen to several black metal albums in a row today (after starting the day with TTDH) without feeling the urge to go back to more Solitude Aeturnus again. Now watch, now that my binge is over I probably won't listen to them again for another 5 years. 

Not sure why but my doom consumption has dwindled considerably over the last several years. I do still like some doom metal in theory, I just don't feel the urge to actually listen very often anymore, nor do I spend any time searching for new doom metal. When I do doom it up though it's usually some kind death/doom like this past year's Worm album, or early Paradise Lost which never falls too far out of rotation, or maybe some sludge/doom with harsh vocals like Dopethrone which is a favorite of mine. I think it's possible that a lot of my current doom needs are being met by depressive atmospheric black metal these days and that's why I don't feel the need to go back to the old doom metal as often. 

Interesting to see you say that "those of us old enough to live through that time ended up buying the many of the same albums we had on vinyl in CD form in the 90's." I can tell you that I certainly didn't do this. I was an OG vinyl holdout that became disgusted and disillusioned after they stopped releasing a lot of stuff 'vinyally' for awhile there in the early 90's, which forced me to start buying any new stuff I really wanted on tape. That pissed me off so much that I don't even think I gave in and bought my first CD until 2004.

And by that point after I had spent over a decade mostly listening to all my old vinyl metal collection (much of which I had also dubbed onto cassette tapes for when I was driving around) I had no desire to replicate my old stale vinyl collection on CD, I was desperate for new metal. I ravenously accumulated a lot of 90's black and death metal CD's in the mid 2000's that I was discovering for the first time as I tried to catch up in my 40's with all the stuff I had missed in my 30's, but very little of the old familiar stuff from years gone by. Like Def Leffid for example, I never felt the urge to acquire hardly any of that commercial early 80's stuff digitally as I really don't think I'd ever be looking for an excuse to play any of it now.

There have been some old things from the 80's or earlier that I have added digitally more recently, "the absolute essentials" if you will, but I have simply let a lot of that old stuff go, preferring to look forward than to look back. What's left of my old vinyl record collection now resides at a good friend's house in Denver. He is an avid vinyl collector while I don't even have any stereo equipment on which to play physical media of any kind much less a turntable, and I had no desire to schlep it all back east with me when I moved in 2018, so it made more sense for him to have it. I am now 100% digital, I have my computer, my JBL monitors, and several good pairs of headphones and that's all the stereo equipment I need.  

NP: Black Mass Pervertor - Sodomiittien Seura

Crooked God - Cruel and Blasphemous