What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Satyricon - Volcano - I find some newer Satyricon enjoyable, at least a few tunes here and there. This album's high point, and one of the better songs in their later catalog, is Rapined Bastard Nation. Really dig the guitar tone on that song.

Arghoshent - Galloping through the Battle Ruins - enjoyable if basic American melodic death metal. 

Monarque - Jusqu'a la Morte - icy Métal noir québécois.

Circle of Ouroborus - The Knives Beneath EP - early lofi bm version of CoO.

Impaled Nazarene - Suomi Finland Perkele - no comments needed here.

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

Satyricon - Volcano - I find some newer Satyricon enjoyable, at least a few tunes here and there. This album's high point, and one of the better songs in their later catalog, is Rapined Bastard Nation. Really dig the guitar tone on that song.

Agreed. For me it goes like this:

1. Dark Medieval Times

2. Nemesis Divina

3. Volcano

4. Deep Calleth Upon Deep which almost leaves black metal in the rear view

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

Satyricon is one of those bands where my taste for their stuff has actually shrunk over the years. Everything past the first two is very hit-or-miss for me anymore. It sucks because I used to love some of the other stuff, but the thrill is completely gone. Hate going track by track but maybe that would be more useful, huh?

I haven't listened to Saryricon in years. Despite their reputation, I've never found their early stuff to be particularly good or compelling or even enjoyable examples of that sub-genre so I prefer other bands like Darkthrone. I would actually say that their later black & roll stuff is better for what it is. Problem is I'm just not so much into what that is anymore. Tried to hang for their live set at MDF a few years back, waited 40 minutes while they set up their stage behind a giant wall they erected to shield their crew from view, and then walked out after 3 songs. Walked back to my hotel room and went to sleep. 

@Macca we'll need to see some pics of your big Viking guns, bruv!

It makes sense that their early stuff wouldn't appeal to you (Goatmaster), it has a lot of stop/start dynamics and goes all over the place instead of keeping up any kind of steady momentum. That's probably why I like it so much. Those first two albums are some of my favorite BM at all. But totally understandable why it wouldn't appeal. I hear Darkthrone as much different overall - melodies, songwriting, first wave influences, all set them apart pretty strongly to my ears. Love both groups. 

Sometimes it can be hard to know why you don't like things. Sometimes things which would appear to check all or most of the right boxes just don't grab you or click with you for whatever reason. I listen to a huge amount of 2nd wave styled black metal and yet out of all the Norwegian originators who were there in the early 90's, Darkthrone is the only one I have in heavy rotation, probably my favorite bm band.

I don't hate Immortal but I rarely ever listen to them. Burzum was probably the best music of all of them but I never listen to any of that either. I only like that one first Emperor album but I can't remember how many years since the last time I heard it. Hate everything of theirs since. Satyricon is just a no. Gorgoroth looks good on paper but in reality I have never connected with them. They don't really do anything for me. Mayhem I like Deathcrush now and then but DMDS is ruined for me by the "weird" vox. And that's unfortunate because musically I love it. I should really spend some time with some of Mayhem's later stuff, I'd probably have a better chance to connect with some of it than any of these other bands. Didn't like their most recent effort at all though. Setherial I fucking love but they're not Norwegian and they came along a few years later so I don't consider them to be one of the originators.

6 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Mayhem I like Deathcrush now and then but DMDS is ruined for me by the "weird" vox. And that's unfortunate because musically I love it.

Same. I tried liking that album so many times over the years but the vocals just sound like amateur hour. A couple of tolerable moments don't save it.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I haven't listened to Saryricon in years. Despite their reputation, I've never found their early stuff to be particularly good or compelling or even enjoyable examples of that sub-genre so I prefer other bands like Darkthrone. I would actually say that their later black & roll stuff is better for what it is. Problem is I'm just not so much into what that is anymore. Tried to hang for their live set at MDF a few years back, waited 40 minutes while they set up their stage behind a giant wall they erected to shield their crew from view, and then walked out after 3 songs. Walked back to my hotel room and went to sleep. 

@Macca we'll need to see some pics of your big Viking guns, bruv!

Yeah we were both at that show. I stuck around because my buddy really likes Satyricon. Was a decent set for what it was. I like songs there and there from them. The early stuff is 2nd tier at best, but still reasonbly ok. The black and roll stuff is better than the pure bm stuff imo, but they are a "singles" band imo at best. Can't say there is a complete album by them I really like.

NP: Nightbringer - Terra Damnata

And Immortal's best is Pure Holocaust

Good morning Mr Kuke, how's your Sunday going so far?

Saturday 3:20pm here thinking about making the kid some lunch, but it seems the pipes have frozen on us again overnight so I really need to go down into the basement and get to work on fixing that. Cat's water fountain has frozen again overnight and this time it was more full of water so the ice cracked it. I moved it to a warmer room and put more water in but it's done, it won't hold water anymore, I just finished sweeping up all the ice chunks off the kitchen floor. Really hoping my pipes have not endured a similar fate.

NP: Morrigan - Celts

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Good morning Mr Kuke, how's your Sunday going so far?

Saturday 3:20pm here thinking about making the kid some lunch, but it seems the pipes have frozen on us again overnight so I really need to go down into the basement and get to work on fixing that. Cat's water fountain has frozen again overnight and this time it was more full of water so the ice cracked it. I moved it to a warmer room and put more water in but it's done, it won't hold water anymore, I just finished sweeping up all the ice chunks off the kitchen floor. Really hoping my pipes have not endured a similar fate.

NP: Morrigan - Celts

I hope your pipes are okay too, nothing worse than having your pipes explode.

Sunday 10am here and I've already done 30ks on the bike, been shopping and now I'm running a load of washing through the machine which I think will dry before I've finished hanging it out given that it's already 30 degrees.

NP Testament - Practice What You Preach

10 hours ago, navybsn said:

Satyricon - Volcano - I find some newer Satyricon enjoyable, at least a few tunes here and there

Same here. Classic example of a trve cvlt band getting dragged for artistic decisions that moved away from church burning and corpse paint. I also like some of their later stuff.

Darkthrone obviously did the same thing but somehow are above scrutiny, even though their recent output is pretty average at best, imo.