khaos

1 hour ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

THE JESUS AND MARY CHAIN WITH HOPE SANDOVAL - Sometimes Always

NINE INCH NAILS WITH GARY NUMAN - Cars

DEPECHE MODE AND THE CURE - It's No Good On Fascination Street

LUMPEN - Corrupcion

PHANE - What A Mess

BLIX - Blix EP 2019

You had me at Hope Sandoval. Only 2 women I would leave my wife for and she would just understand. Hope and 80s Belinda Carlisle. Maybe Liz Hurley...

NP:

King Crimson - Lark's Tongue

King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black

Both partly because they're good and partly because my daughter who is currently bugging the shit outta me thinks that guy from Asia is awesome and should be more famous because he was in Asia (she love In the Heat of the Moment).

12 minutes ago, navybsn said:

You had me at Hope Sandoval. Only 2 women I would leave my wife for and she would just understand. Hope and 80s Belinda Carlisle. Maybe Liz Hurley...

NP:

King Crimson - Lark's Tongue

King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black

Both partly because they're good and partly because my daughter who is currently bugging the shit outta me thinks that guy from Asia is awesome and should be more famous because he was in Asia (she love In the Heat of the Moment).

I hope Red is on deck :)

10 minutes ago, navybsn said:

Yeah you'd like to think she would understand, but in reality she would seethe with the heat of a thousand suns and stalk you til your dying day intent on making the remainder of your life a living hell, no matter the cost to her. There's just no possible way to tell a woman that you're choosing some other slut over her without mortally wounding her, leaving her vengeful and bitter. Even if she was all but checked out of your relationship mentally and emotionally, it would still be a blow to her self esteem that she couldn't endure. 

Pakkt - To Brocken Heights Where Witches Dance, Finland. I should find that top 3 albums of the week thread and post this there as #1 but I can't be bothered to look for it. 

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I hope Red is on deck :)

Playing now. Seems she doesn't think so much of Mr Wetton's other work...

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Yeah you'd like to think she would understand, but in reality she would seethe with the heat of a thousand suns and stalk you til your dying day intent on making the remainder of your life a living hell, no matter the cost to her. There's just no possible way to tell a woman that you're choosing some other slut over her without mortally wounding her, leaving her vengeful and bitter. Even if she was all but checked out of your relationship mentally and emotionally, it would still be a blow to her self esteem that she couldn't endure. 

Pakkt - To Brocken Heights Where Witches Dance, Finland. I should find that top 3 albums of the week thread and post this there as #1 but I can't be bothered to look for it. 

Dude, you really have to get down sometime and meet the missus. She's a bit different. No doubt she would hunt me like a rabid dog, but we've had these running jokes for years. I could give you her number and have you call completely unannounced and unintroduced, ask her " Who are the 3 women your husband would leave you for?", and she would give those exact names in most likely the same order. She might throw X Files era Scully in there, but that's another story. All stems from an early marriage joke gone bad, but that's what has given it legs. There is literally no other woman on earth I'd rather be with and after 25 years, she knows that isn't even a question.

Still no other woman on earth I'd rather hear sing than Hope Sandoval.

On 1/15/2022 at 10:40 PM, markm said:

Zack, how has your BAN discog investigation gone? Anything especially stand out to you?

Shit, don't know how I didn't notice this until now lol, sorry. I have been enjoying my BAN deep dive immensely and they've actually climbed the ranks to being one of my favourite bands in the past six weeks or so. As far as standouts and highlights go, the Memoria Vetusta album trilogy is still my favourite work from them, especially MVII. I have been really digging the 777 albums a lot too though, especially "Sect(s)". The Work Which Transforms God is great also. I don't think there's another band in all of black metal who can do both melodious/atmospheric and avant-garde styles equally well. Truly a special project.

NP: Panzerfaust - The Suns of Perdition II: Render Unto Eden

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

Dude, you really have to get down sometime and meet the missus. She's a bit different. No doubt she would hunt me like a rabid dog, but we've had these running jokes for years. I could give you her number and have you call completely unannounced and unintroduced, ask her " Who are the 3 women your husband would leave you for?", and she would give those exact names in most likely the same order. She might throw X Files era Scully in there, but that's another story. All stems from an early marriage joke gone bad, but that's what has given it legs. There is literally no other woman on earth I'd rather be with and after 25 years, she knows that isn't even a question.

Well obviously I was joking earlier, and as I mentioned just the other day my wife and I had our running joke about her "exemption" rockstars as well, where supposedly the deal was if she ever ran into them backstage or in a dark alleyway or a sleazy motel or a roadside hot dog stand all bets were to be off. And these dudes were David Coverdale and Blackie Lawless. But their 80's versions, not the dried up 70 year old pensioners they are now.

When she would try to press me on who my celeb crushes were that I would want an exemption for, I knew enough to be non-commital and just say something like: Idk any readhead under 40 with nice tits would do. I've always been enamoured with redheads. I saw The Fighter with Amy Adams a couple of months ago (she was 36 at the time of filming in 2010, which was done in FA's Lowell Mass of all places) and I remember thinking that if I was ever in the market for a bedroom fun partner, she would do quite nicely indeed.

Amy Adams, The Fighter | 2011 Oscar Breakdown: Best Supporting Actress |  POPSUGAR Entertainment Photo 2

63 Amy Adams Sexy Pictures Will Make You Fall In Love With Her | CBG

And now since you've mentioned it, as it happens I will be undertaking a road trip with the young lad this April. We're planning to leave Jersey on good Friday the 15th, we'll be heading down to sunny FLA to see my grandkids and his nephews for Easter, but only because that's when he has a week off from school. Hate to just invite myself over and impose on your gracious southern hospitality, but since you've brought it up I was thinking maybe on the way back we could stop by and have a beer or two (well I can have a beer or two, he's only 8 so no more than one for him) maybe even some sustenance if you could spare some, and of course you know I'd absolutely love to meet Mrs. Navy! Was thinking we'll probably be heading back north Thurs the 21st. Pensacola appears to be a 7 hour ride from Winter Haven, so quite conveniently for me if we leave my daughter's house after a late breakfast that would get us there roughly around dinnertime. Are you guys actually in the central time zone? Because that's what Google Maps is trying to tell me. Staying in Pensacola would leave me with something like a 20 hour ride home on Friday, so we'd probably want to keep it moving and hit the road again sometime later that evening and see if I could make it at least 4 hours up to Birmingham which would only leave myself with a 16 hour drive home Friday. Chattanooga TN would be even better, that'd leave me only a 14 hour drive.

NP: Warrior - Instruments of Death

14 hours ago, navybsn said:

Clutch - self titled

Clutch - Blast Tyrant

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Blast Tyrant is one of the stone cold greatest hard rock albums like...ever..of all time kind of thing. 

Glad to see I'm not the only dino still buying on disc. Real good argument to be made that CD is the single best way to get inexpensive music that sounds really good.

https://www.gearpatrol.com/tech/audio/a731474/reasons-to-buy-cds/#:~:text=If you're looking for,you're likely to get.&text=Also%2C there's the resale value,file%2C there's no resale value.

I've got a CD player in my system. Do I use it much?  Well, uh, no, I'm not going to lie, not exactly, no. But now that Zack went on his BAN blitzkrieg- and a most excellent journey that is to go on, I'm thinking of the highly underrated, weird awesome album, Mort. What? Never ripped that fucker? WTF's wrong with me? Throw it in the CDP and listen on the big boy speakers.  

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Redheads don't age well here in Oz...

Well they don't age very well in Aotearoa either Doc, it's that damn hole in the Ozone your mob have created down there. My Kiwi wife had melanoma 6 separate times and once it made its way to her blood stream via a lymph node, it went straight to her liver and killed her at the tender young age of 33. But don't worry I have no need or desire for a new partner, either Aussie or Kiwi or otherwise. I'm quite happy flying solo, I was strictly fantasizing and talking shit above. I should probably never set foot in Ireland though, I'm wondering if being surrounded by all those pale skinned redheads might be a bit too much temptation.

3 hours ago, navybsn said:

Clearly, you have a thing for older women. Nothin' wrong with that.

2 hours ago, zackflag said:

Shit, don't know how I didn't notice this until now lol, sorry. I have been enjoying my BAN deep dive immensely and they've actually climbed the ranks to being one of my favourite bands in the past six weeks or so. As far as standouts and highlights go, the Memoria Vetusta album trilogy is still my favourite work from them, especially MVII. I have been really digging the 777 albums a lot too though, especially "Sect(s)". The Work Which Transforms God is great also. I don't think there's another band in all of black metal who can do both melodious/atmospheric and avant-garde styles equally well. Truly a special project.

NP: Panzerfaust - The Suns of Perdition II: Render Unto Eden

You just proved why, when you post stuff, I sit up and pay the fuck attention....you have good taste. That Memoria Vetusta II is an absolute melodic BM gem.  

24 minutes ago, markm said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Blast Tyrant is one of the stone cold greatest hard rock albums like...ever..of all time kind of thing. 

Glad to see I'm not the only dino still buying on disc. Real good argument to be made that CD is the single best way to get inexpensive music that sounds really good. Last year, out of about 60 albums, maybe a bit less, I split the difference between Bandcamp and CD. If I can get a piece of music I think will stay in rotation under $15 or so, I'll almost always get the disc. I've got 25-30 CDs now from 2021, that are keeping my busy with about 19 Bandcamp grabs.

https://www.gearpatrol.com/tech/audio/a731474/reasons-to-buy-cds/#:~:text=If you're looking for,you're likely to get.&text=Also%2C there's the resale value,file%2C there's no resale value.

I've got a CD player in my system. Do I use it much?  Well, uh, no, I'm not going to lie, not exactly, no. But now that Zack went on his BAN blitzkrieg- and a most excellent journey that is to go on, I'm thinking of the highly underrated, weird awesome album, Mort. What? Never ripped that fucker? WTF's wrong with me? Throw it in the CDP and listen on the big boy speakers.  

6 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Don't wanna put words in Navy's mouth, but I'm sure he's thinking of Hope at the height of their success 25 years ago like in this video when she was 28.

NP: Alice In Chains - Pro TV Archives 1990-1996. Buzzards fly when flesh is ripping.

Of course, I jest Navy. Tbh, I don't think I've ever listened to Mazie Star. She was another name in a sea of alternative rock I didn't like at the time and never gave her a chance. I've gone back and changed my mind about many of those artists (not all certainly-looking at you New Order-ooof) but never listened to her. I should give her a shot now.

Nice looking woman in the videos posted, so I looked her up and saw she was born in 1966. She might still be gorgeous but a woman of a certain age as they say. Wait, so am I........oh, well. um age, I'm not a woman just in case anyone's keeping track.

Hey, it's the internet...assume nothing.

7 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Well obviously I was joking earlier, and as I mentioned just the other day my wife and I had our running joke about her "exemption" rockstars as well, where supposedly the deal was if she ever ran into them backstage or in a dark alleyway or a sleazy motel or a roadside hot dog stand all bets were to be off. And these dudes were David Coverdale and Blackie Lawless. But their 80's versions, not the dried up 70 year old pensioners they are now.

When she would try to press me on who my celeb crushes were that I would want an exemption for, I knew enough to be non-commital and just say something like: Idk any readhead under 40 with nice tits would do. I've always been enamoured with redheads. I saw The Fighter with Amy Adams a couple of months ago (she was 36 at the time of filming in 2010, which was done in FA's Lowell Mass of all places) and I remember thinking that if I was ever in the market for a bedroom fun partner, she would do quite nicely indeed.

Amy Adams, The Fighter | 2011 Oscar Breakdown: Best Supporting Actress |  POPSUGAR Entertainment Photo 2

63 Amy Adams Sexy Pictures Will Make You Fall In Love With Her | CBG

And now since you've mentioned it, as it happens I will be undertaking a road trip with the young lad this April. We're planning to leave Jersey on good Friday the 15th, we'll be heading down to sunny FLA to see my grandkids and his nephews for Easter, but only because that's when he has a week off from school. Hate to just invite myself over and impose on your gracious southern hospitality, but since you've brought it up I was thinking maybe on the way back we could stop by and have a beer or two (well I can have a beer or two, he's only 8 so no more than one for him) maybe even some sustenance if you could spare some, and of course you know I'd absolutely love to meet Mrs. Navy! Was thinking we'll probably be heading back north Thurs the 21st. Pensacola appears to be a 7 hour ride from Winter Haven, so quite conveniently for me if we leave my daughter's house after a late breakfast that would get us there roughly around dinnertime. Are you guys actually in the central time zone? Because that's what Google Maps is trying to tell me. Staying in Pensacola would leave me with something like a 20 hour ride home on Friday, so we'd probably want to keep it moving and hit the road again sometime later that evening and see if I could make it at least 4 hours up to Birmingham which would only leave myself with a 16 hour drive home Friday. Chattanooga TN would be even better, that'd leave me only a 14 hour drive.

NP: Warrior - Instruments of Death

As always dude, mi casa su casa. Would love to entertain the Goatmaster and his young buckling. We will plan on it. Funny you mention redheads. That's the current running joke with my wife. Started last year on the 70K Metal Cruise when we went to a strip club the night before getting underway. She asked if I was getting any lap dances and I said no because there were no well-endowed redheads there. Then our cabin turned out to be directly adjacent to this fine young lady:

See the source image

Simone Simmons from Epica. And a joke was born.

7 hours ago, markm said:

Early Clutch is so good. From Beale Street forward they're a bit hit/miss. I'd agree that Blast Tyrant is their best. One of the most fun live bands going.

7 hours ago, markm said:

Clearly, you have a thing for older women. Nothin' wrong with that.

Guilty as charged.

7 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Don't wanna put words in Navy's mouth, but I'm sure he's thinking of Hope at the height of their success 25 years ago like in this video when she was 28.

Yeah, she's not aging terribly, but certainly not on the same level as 15-20 years ago. Surely the same can be said for all of us.

See the source image

Anyway, back on topic. Crazy morning on top of a crazy week already. Omicrom surge is hitting us like a freight train in our inpatient units and our clinic staffing. Not really a surprise as no one seems to give a flying fuck about COVID anymore around these parts. Oh well, at least we have "the metal" to keep us all borderline sane.

Wode - Servants of the Countercosmos

God Seed - I Begin

Ordinance - Relinquishment

Mazzy Star was pushed on me by a few older friends when I was growing up, but gotta admit I found everything I heard from them too depressing. Here I was, listening to Portishead, Rasputina, Swans, and Joy Division, but for some reason drew the line at Mazzy Star.

Reading the Anthrax chat reminded me of the only time I ever saw them - a tiny venue in Raleigh NC in 1996, with Cannibal Corpse and the Misfits. John Bush took a few whacks at the stage lighting with his microphone and spent most of his stage banter time mocking how small the place was. Even at 16 it came off to me as whiny, and 25+ years later that's the only thing I remember about their set. I never really felt like listening to them again after that. I guess there really is something to the idea that you should play each set like you're having the time of your life. 

50 minutes ago, markm said:

Of course, I jest Navy. Tbh, I don't think I've ever listened to Mazie Star. She was another name in a sea of alternative rock I didn't like at the time and never gave her a chance. I've gone back and changed my mind about many of those artists (not all certainly-looking at you New Order-ooof) but never listened to her. I should give her a shot now.

Nice looking woman in the videos posted, so I looked her up and saw she was born in 1966. She might still be gorgeous but a woman of a certain age as they say. Wait, so am I........oh, well. um age, I'm not a woman just in case anyone's keeping track.

Hey, it's the internet...assume nothing.

I could see you liking Mazzy Star. Recommend starting with She Hangs Brightly which is probably their best. Among My Swan and So Tonight I Might See are also excellent. Bright, slightly psychedelic, jangle-pop as they refer to it with dreamy/ethereal female vocals. Good lazy weekend night chill music with a nice stiff drink.

2 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Mazzy Star was pushed on me by a few older friends when I was growing up, but gotta admit I found everything I heard from them too depressing. Here I was, listening to Portishead, Rasputina, Swans, and Joy Division, but for some reason drew the line at Mazzy Star. 

Dig all those bands. I'd put them Mazzy Star = Joy Division > Portishead > Swans > Rasputina. I do understand why folks don't like any of those bands as they tend to be a little more melancholy than most. Beth Gibbons is another favorite female singer in my house.

22 minutes ago, navybsn said:

I could see you liking Mazzy Star. Recommend starting with She Hangs Brightly which is probably their best. Among My Swan and So Tonight I Might See are also excellent. Bright, slightly psychedelic, jangle-pop as they refer to it with dreamy/ethereal female vocals. Good lazy weekend night chill music with a nice stiff drink.

Dig all those bands. I'd put them Mazzy Star = Joy Division > Portishead > Swans > Rasputina. I do understand why folks don't like any of those bands as they tend to be a little more melancholy than most. Beth Gibbons is another favorite female singer in my house.

I could listen to Beth Gibbons sing all day. Why I never connected with Mazzy Star is beyond me, maybe I'd get something out of it all now I'm older and wiser. Swans is in my absolute top tier, although I couldn't get much out of Jarboe's other projects. Rasputina's recordings are hit and miss for me, but I've seen them live three or four times and they were always fantastic. Since we're talking about matters of the heart, I'll cop to having a slight crush on Melora when I was younger.

NP: random mix of Unsane songs 

37 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I could listen to Beth Gibbons sing all day. Why I never connected with Mazzy Star is beyond me, maybe I'd get something out of it all now I'm older and wiser. Swans is in my absolute top tier, although I couldn't get much out of Jarboe's other projects. Rasputina's recordings are hit and miss for me, but I've seen them live three or four times and they were always fantastic. Since we're talking about matters of the heart, I'll cop to having a slight crush on Melora when I was younger.

NP: random mix of Unsane songs 

Love the Swans myself. But I only got into them with Seer and and that iteration/trilogy. I've gone back through the better part of their loved discography. Great band. Joy Division was great as well. A college friend of mine that knew I was into metal and grunge gave me a tape to listen to thinking I'd like their dark vibe and I've enjoyed them ever since. 

18 minutes ago, markm said:

Love the Swans myself. But I only got into them with Seer and and that iteration/trilogy. I've gone back through the better part of their loved discography. Great band. Joy Division was great as well. A college friend of mine that knew I was into metal and grunge gave me a tape to listen to thinking I'd like their dark vibe and I've enjoyed them ever since. 

Swans was sort of fated to be one of my favorite bands, a few people independently introduced me to their stuff around the same time. This was right around when they put out a bunch of reissues and broke up in 1997, so I was able to get my hands on CDs of almost everything they'd done up to that point. I was getting more and more into proggy, complicated songwriting at the time, and the repetitive simplicity of their early stuff gave me a different way of listening to music. The lurch and swagger of "Filth" and the crushing mood swings on "Children Of God" are all-time high points for me. Also love "The Great Annihilator" and the White Light/Love Of Life period. But I haven't kept up with their newer stuff - "To Be Kind" is the only one I've really spent good time with. Lots left to discover. Did you ever get into The Angels Of Light? 

19 hours ago, navybsn said:

As for Anthrax, they did throw Medusa in the setlist at that show. A little nugget for the old timers.

Not the gig I was watching. They did

Caught In A Mosh, Got The Time, Madhouse, Fight 'Em Till You Can't, I Am The Law, Antisocial, and Indians, the same boring set list they have played time an time again. Caught In A Mosh isn't a terrible opener, but they've opened so many shows with it they could easily find something just as good. Got The Time sucks and they do one of the worst covers of it, always have. And Indians is no way as theatrical as it used to be and doesn't deserve to be a show closer if you want fans to think they have been left with something good. Maybe if Anthrax get off their arse and risk headlining a gig, even if they have to curb their egos a little and play smaller venues that Scott and Charlie think they deserve maybe they could put on a great show by mixing up the set and adding some classic songs, but that wont happen while they play the current list of pre-retirement gigs they are.

Shadow Of Intent - Elergy