What Are You Listening To?

khaos

20 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

It's not without humor, but don't tell him I said so. Would have been a little funnier if he hadn't done it because he was mad about getting in trouble yesterday, but, whatever, you know? Water is still running, pets are still alive.

Oh, payback is a bit different. Kids learning to deliver payback is not a great thing because it always takes them longer to learn about the importance of timing.

Cannibal Corpse - Violence Unimagined

11 hours ago, markm said:

I dig that Black Anvil album, Marko. You gonna do a list for 21. You're so eclectic, I always enjoy what you come up with.

I still picked up Morbific and Cerebral Rot on disc. Still going through some 2021 earmarked albums on my  Bandcamp. 

Spider God/Skugglösa ljuset / Shadowless Light-prolly gonna git thisun

Failure/Wild Type Troid-90's alternative grungish band-their last was a lot better IMO

Thronehamer/Incantation Rites

Replicant/ Melignant Reality-Tech death seems to have reared it's modern metal head quite strong this year....not for me really but see the talent, here

Glassing/Twin Dream

Tribal Gaze/Godless Voyage

I guess I could make a list.....have other peeps made lists yet?....

.....I'm sure WhiteNoise will probably have his list of his favourite 1000 records of 2021 on there....

I've already posted my death metal list and kept it to only 23. Don't think I'll be able to make my black metal list that short, but I'm determined that it will be less than 40. Or at least not more than 40. I've let myself get sidetracked recently as we've had a cold snap down into the single digits and the pipes froze and I've been preoccupied just trying to keep us warm and alive but it's coming. Tonight I'm in punk rock mode early but I'll switch over to black metal in a few minutes when I'm done eating.

The Jerry Spider Gang - Dope Takin' Kamikazes, 2000 France

Retarded - S/T, 2001 Italy

The Ramrods - Gimme Some Action 77-78 compilation, Detroit

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Dude that fucking sucks. I don't know if you're in exactly the same arctic blast path that we are, but we got down to 4°F last night and we're looking at an even colder night Friday into Saturday morning. My forecast says -1. Hope you don't have any damage. My son - my treasure, my darling little boy - turned our thermostat all the way down last night as a prank, making sections of the apartment into a walk-in fridge.

My son and I both slipped on a patch of ice next to the cat's water fountain on the kitchen floor on our ways to the bathroom this morning. It was 34° in there at 8am. Wish I had a thermostst to turn back up. We put a pellet stove in after the oil burner died 2 months ago and I have concentrated on just keeping the one uninsulated living/bedroom we've been living in as warm as possible. Yesterday I sealed up cracks with spray foam, stuffed insualtion in holes and I put up a blanket in the doorway to keep what little heat we have in here with us so the dining room and kitchen are on their own. Quite a bit warmer tonight than it was last night, 29° atm so it's 63° in here almost feels like a heat wave. Last night when it was  7° and our pipes froze all we could muster in here was 48°. We should be ok at least tonight and tomorrow night in the mid 20's but then Fri & Sat nights they're calling for lows of 4° and 5° (-15°C) so that should be fun. We took a small torch to the pipes, found where the frozen spots were and got the water flowing late this morning so we have water in both sinks and the tub. Only the toilet still won't fill, that pipe must still be frozen, it's on an exterior wall. I actually had ice crystals in the empty toilet tank this morning. But no biggie, I filled up some 5 gallon pails with water to flush with until it warms up. Left all the cold taps trickling just a little, figuring that moving water won't freeze as quickly. My son keeps turning the bathroom sink off telling me we're wasting water, but I'll make the rounds after I put him to bed in a couple of hours.

NP: Virulent Specter (US) - The Black Temple of Omniscient Manipulation

In an old school death metal mood for the most part:

Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness

Death - Individual Thought Patterns

Misery - A Necessary Evil (Aussie death metal circa 1993).

Nocturnus A.D. - Paradox (was an early 1990s DM band and this album certainly follows on from their 1990 classic The Key.

Nosce Teipsum - Nothing Remains (Tiamat and Cemetary covers prompted the old school death metal urge.   Most of Nosce Teipsum are from the early days of DM - vocalist was in one of the first ever Tassie DM bands, Van Demon).

Pestilence - Consuming Impulse

5 hours ago, True Belief said:

New material on the way too.

Yes and anxiously awaited for quite some time. Dude teasing it on Facebook last year got me very hopeful. Pre-ordered the Slaughtersun vinyl reissue too. Can hardly wait for that.

This morning:

Rush - Clockwork Angels - a fantastic swansong to a career. Definitely the best of their later albums. 

20 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I'm having a Rush morning too. I haven't listened to that one since it came out, I should give it another chance. 

NP: Rush - Signals

I have to say that always anxiously awaited any new Rush release. I loved them all when they came out, but 10 years after the last, I can look back in retrospect and rank them like this:

1990 - 2011

Clockwork Angels - a return to the concept album format. Geddy's vocals are excellent (he never really had a bad studio performance), but here he really embraces the lower end of his register and it just fits the music so well. The songwriting is excellent and the performances are as usual top notch. IMO, belongs in the upper echelon of their catalog along with Grace Under Pressure, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, 2112 and my 2 personal favorites Caress of Steel (which is the backpatch on my vest) and Presto.

Vapor Trails - the remixed version although I really didn't mind the original mix

Counterparts - some good tracks, a few meh

Roll The Bones/Snakes & Arrows - don't really dislike either of these and they have some excellent tracks, but they're definitely weaker on the weaker end of the spectrum.

Next up on the playlist today: Presto & Caress of Steel

9 hours ago, navybsn said:

I have to say that always anxiously awaited any new Rush release. I loved them all when they came out, but 10 years after the last, I can look back in retrospect and rank them like this:

1990 - 2011

Clockwork Angels - a return to the concept album format. Geddy's vocals are excellent (he never really had a bad studio performance), but here he really embraces the lower end of his register and it just fits the music so well. The songwriting is excellent and the performances are as usual top notch. IMO, belongs in the upper echelon of their catalog along with Grace Under Pressure, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, 2112 and my 2 personal favorites Caress of Steel (which is the backpatch on my vest) and Presto.

Vapor Trails - the remixed version although I really didn't mind the original mix

Counterparts - some good tracks, a few meh

Roll The Bones/Snakes & Arrows - don't really dislike either of these and they have some excellent tracks, but they're definitely weaker on the weaker end of the spectrum.

Next up on the playlist today: Presto & Caress of Steel

Thanks for the rundown. I feel like I'll always have something to discover with them. I've been a fan for most of my life but there are still several albums I barely listen to, and even a couple I haven't heard. 

Just played Clockwork Angels and it's cool, different melodies from their 80s stuff. A solid rock album. Also joined you with Presto and Caress Of Steel.

NP:

Budgie - Never Turn Your Back On A Friend 

Alan Parsons Project - I, Robot

Morbific/ ominous seep of putridity -loving this debut...one of my favorite DM listens from 2021 along with Cerebral Rot (late to the party-me not the album title 😋) but especially Morbific-these "kids" (from what I've heard) nail that early 90's scummy sound.

Mystras/ Empires Vanquished and Dismantled