What Are You Listening To?

khaos

7 hours ago, navybsn said:

Soft Kill - Dead Kids, R.I.P. City

Ceres - Tyrant's Rise

Pakkt - To Brocken Heights Where Witches Dance

That Pakkt was a Christmas week discovery that impacted my list as I was  forced to reshuffle to make room for it and another album in my top 3. No info on M-A other than that they're from Germany, so I have no idea who they are or where they've been but this is a great debut album that hits my GG spot just right.

3 hours ago, markm said:

I grabbed this [Diabolizer - Khalkedonian Death] originally from Josh's list over at Nine Circles along with Demiser and Gatecreeper the week of X-mas. All mandatory 2021 listening for me. I listened to Cerebral Rot that was on many of your all's lists here that is pretty sweet OSDM. 

Diabolizer - KD is good, I bought it, but it didn't quite make my death metal list. That Demiser though (which I first saw on Surge's list but haven't bought yet) is stone cold killer black thrash that will be on there for sure. I hate finding all this good shit all together like this right at the very end of the year and into January, I wish these bands and labels could learn to string this shit out a little better.

Pakkt - To Brocken Heights Where Witches Dance, this will be my #3

Gauntlet Ring - Upon the Wings of the Black Eagle, USBM

Helleruin - War Upon Man, Netherlands

Gloosh means thick forest or backwoods in Russian. Of course they spell it with all their backwards letters 'n shit. Good album, but it couldn't crack my top 40.

That Dawn of the Dying Sun is asolutely magnificent, always a great choice. It might be the perfect thing right now actually. 

Hades - The Dawn of the Dying Sun 

Another from Austin Lunn's list-Hulder/Godslastering: Hymns of a Forlorn Peasantry-I guess it shouldn't come to any great surprise that the guy behind Panopticon, like really, really, really likes melodic and atmospheric black metal-haha. 

Revisiting a couple also from his list I happened to buy early in 21

Grimma/Rotten Garden

Blehg-Odhin-grabbed this one from one of Marko's YouTube posts-didn't hear hide nor hare about this album all year until Austin's list....been enjoying this one all year. 

And again with Spelljammer/Abyssal Trip-gear has such a remarkable affect on different albums. Anything of the Electric Wizard/Sleep strain of cosmic stoner doom just doesn't get listening justice IMO without some damn speakers played at maximum volume. It sounds aight, but doesn't really hold it's gargantuan sound without some way to dig deep into that nuke level sub bass.  This album doesn't reinvent anything but thundering riffs upon riffs of psychadelia, but really Sorry, your shitty Iphone will get flat results. The sound is so important for this kind of fuzz riff fest-and this one gets the sound right for this kind of narcotic haze of elephant footprint low end thunder. The Swedes man-The Truckfighters, Dozer, Monolord, Spiritual Beggars albeit from a different branch of stoner metal but still-they must like their weed. 

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

That Dawn of the Dying Sun is absolutely magnificent, always a great choice.

Indeed it is. Hades' first three albums are all excellent. One of the most underrated Norwegian bands.

Tonight's jams...

Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin at Dusk

Voidsphere - To Overtake | To Overcome

Job For A Cowboy - Demonocracy (2012)

This is the problem that I have with a lot of "modern" death metal that strayed far too close to "core".  Although arguably JFAC were only really Deathcore on their debut release the had by no means lost that trait some seven years later. Their foray into more progressive leanings around this stage wasn't that well done either and this is one of the most soulless death metal records I think I have ever heard.

Fetid Zombie - Transmutations - not a list worthy choice from last year, but enjoyable enough. Reminds me of Haunter.

Ringare - Thrall of Winter's Majesty - not sure how I feel about this one yet

Dodsrit - Mortal Coil - another I can't believe I missed last year. Love this band.

Aran - Pimeyttä Vasten

Ride For Revenge - Feed the Infamy, Finland, this band can be hit or miss but I'm really feeling the new one. 

Arnaut Pavle - Arnaut Pavle, Finland, still sick 2 years later

Sign of Evil - Psychodelic Horror, Chile, yeah it's a 12 minute Chilean Devil Master clone but still pretty cool

Old Coven - The Awake of Ascendant Darkness, LA, still go back to this one regularly 3 years later, wish they'd drop a new one. There was a 2 track 8.5 minute demo in 2020 but I'm gonna need more than that.

1 hour ago, KillaKukumba said:

Forbidden - Forbidden Evil

I had the first two Forbidden LP's once upon a time. I guess we all had them. They're a good band and they could have been a staple of my collection if only for Russ' vox. They're not as terrible and grating as Killian's in Vio-Lence or anything like that but they're the weakest element for me here. Along with all the gratuitous high-pitched guitar squeals. That's why I rarely listen to thrash that hasn't been blackened anymore, those typical 80's bay area thrash style vox are just not good to me. And yes I realize that's a bit of a contradiction coming from someone who loves Overkill so much because I've heard so many people say that Blitz's vox are an acquired taste that they have yet to acquire. But he gets a pass from me, I fucking love Bobby, must be the home teamer in me. NY bands > Cali bands all day long.

NP: Funeralis - Gateways to Esoteric Light, Chile, was on my 2020 list, one for the ages