What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Cadaveric Fumes - Echoing Chambers of Soul, French death metal. Finally got their full length out this year after half a dozen EP's and splits and then they split up. Rumor has it they couldn't decide on what direction they wanted to go in. And that's a shame because this is damn good.

Obscurial - Ten Burial Masses track from the album Funeral, Burial and Rites, pummeling death metal from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The one out of these 4 I'll definitelty be picking up for a paltry $6 USD. Album just dropped Sunday, the fucking t-shirt is already sold out Monday night.

Coffin Rites - Human Erase, (formerly Coffinrot) blackened death/thrash from Minneapolis, Minnesota

Vahrzaw - The Trembling Voices of Conquered Men, death metal from Traralgon, Victoria, a wee little town of just 25,000 sad cunts somewhere east of "Melbie" in the land down under.

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

Wolves in the Throne Room - Primordial Arcana - I like it but way too mellow for most of the record

Agreed.  It is far too direct in approach and lacks any sense of dynamic or even a place to get lost in.  It is like the more direct metal approach and the atmospherics are struggling to decide who is running the show and so both sit back.

NP:

Scarecrow - Raise The Death's Head

I'll jot some thoughts on mostly new metal from 21 lists and random stuff as they pop into my head as I go through the end of the year...

(not 21) Winterfylleth/The Threnody of Triumph (2012)-had this one kicking around my car CD player for a couple of weeks-been a minute since I've listened to this one. It holds up better than what I remembered. For atmoblack, I didn't pick up on the heavy post black influence back in 2012--- reminiscent of WITTR and Altar of Plagues in retrospect. 

2021-recent listening

WITR /Primordial Arcana-was a fan of Two Hunters and lesser so Black Cascade. I don't have an opinion yet about their new one. 2nd or 3rd tier maybe. 

Antediluvian/The Divine Punishment-I've heard this bands' name  but never listened. So, I like this album. For black/death it's a little  less obvious and gratuitous. I like less obvious metal, generally even in uber bestial genres. I'm guessing there's too much experimentation (creepy gothy weird  atmosphere) for the pound and ground meat and potatoes B/D crowd, but I like B/D that doesn't just go for the jugular cranked to 10 for 40 minutes. There's quite a bit under the hood on this thing with a lot of tribal percussion ....overall vibe reminds me of some of the weird shit coming out of  Vrasubatlat a few years ago (Triumvir Foul, etc.)  Cool album. 

Genghis Tron/Dream Weapon-this one threw me for a loop. Yeah, I know these guys are pretty well known in prog circles for blending electronica and synth with grind but I was ig'nant. I was expecting a typical AMG approved annoying prog album and what we have here is an electro-synth album with a touch of of a heavier atmosphere...sort of Perturbator meets Depeche Mode. But fuck me, I'm growing to like this. It's ridiculous to tag Dream Weapon with metal but I can enjoy this as a bit of Nine Inch Nails piece of Electronica. 

The Temple -on my BC feed (Zack and Navy, I believe)-I like Ulcerate well enough, but it sounds a little too much like Ulcerate for me, but it's got its thing that's kind of cool.

Septus/Phantom Indigo -new band by the looks of it mostly from the Pyrrhon crew. You know what; I like this a lot more than I thought I would. Not going to pick this up but it's approximately 10,000 times more accessible than Pyrrhon. Of course it's experimental and dissonant, but this is decent. Quite heavy and confrontational. Pleasantly surprised. 

Today checking out:

Succumb/XXI and Fluisteraars. 

22 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Earlier this morning while outside gardening - DORMANT ORDEAL - The Grand Scheme of Things. In the grand scheme of things this is nothing too special, but I did enjoy it.

22 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Kinda fun, and well played for sure, but in the end a bit too smart-arsed and annoying to hold my interest.

I liked the Papangu album enough to give it a few more plays at least. They almost lost me with the stoner rock riffs and some of those clean vocals, but I kept getting pulled back in, felt like it got stronger as it went on. By funny if ultimately meaningless coincidence, I shared it with one of my friends and it turns out he was actually scheduled to play on it at one point. He didn't wind up doing it, so I guess I can say I know a guy who didn't play on the album. 

Dormant Ordeal is a lot of fun when I'm in the right mood. I really enjoy the guitars.

____

NP: Enslaved - Below The Lights

6 hours ago, markm said:

(not 21) Winterfylleth/The Threnody of Triumph (2012)-had this one kicking around my car CD player for a couple of weeks-been a minute since I've listened to this one. It holds up better than what I remembered. For atmoblack, I didn't pick up on the heavy post black influence back in 2012--- reminiscent of WITTR and Altar of Plagues in retrospect. 

I always feel a little let down by  Winterfylleth.

6 hours ago, markm said:

The Temple -on my BC feed (Zack and Navy, I believe)-I like Ulcerate well enough, but it sounds a little too much like Ulcerate for me, but it's got its thing that's kind of cool.

I like this a lot. I don't hear a lot of Ulcerate in it, but that's me.

6 hours ago, markm said:

Succumb/XXI and Fluisteraars. 

Both these have been well hyped this year, but these are good albums.