What Are You Listening To?

khaos

I really don't like Ripper.

As expected this album sounds like Priest, but it also sounds like a watered down Priest on their last legs. It's chessy as hell and we had a conversation a few weeks back on this forum about how excellent *ahem* Rob/JP's lyrics are, but the lyrics on this album drop that to a new level.

I certainly don't hate the album, some of the guitar work sounds great and in general the music does kind of work. Return Of The Sentinel shows that KK's can write decent songs, and at 9 mins long it shows he can write long songs that don't get boring, but there is still a big part of what KK used to be able to do missing from this album.

Hellfire Thunderbolt and Bothers Of The Road are as cheesy as they come and really don't add to the album, but this certainly isn't the only album out there with filler tracks. To me it just feels like KK could have done better and maybe if he hadn't been so bitter all these years and wasted all his creative energy on making up stories he could have done better with the album.

6 hours ago, navybsn said:

Fuck a bunch of pumpkin ales. I don't want a squash in my beer.

I didn't say I was buying the pumpkin ales, just that they have been suddenly showing up at all the liquor stores reminding me that it's Fall. I don't like pumpkin flavored coffee either but I do like pumpkin pie and pumpkin cheesecake and pumpkin muffins. But I really haven't been buying much of the sweet shit lately if I can help it. I'm sure I'll have a piece of pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving at my sister's next month though, white chicks be damned. 

NP: Gråinheim - Hexndeifl 

38 minutes ago, JamesT said:

I'm digging these new KK's Priest songs!  I enjoyed the albums Ripper did with JP, and it's cool to see him working with KK again.  Hope we continue getting new material from those guys!

20 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

As expected this album sounds like Priest, but it also sounds like a watered down Priest on their last legs. It's chessy as hell and we had a conversation a few weeks back on this forum about how excellent *ahem* Rob/JP's lyrics are, but the lyrics on this album drop that to a new level.

I certainly don't hate the album, some of the guitar work sounds great and in general the music does kind of work. Return Of The Sentinel shows that KK's can write decent songs, and at 9 mins long it shows he can write long songs that don't get boring, but there is still a big part of what KK used to be able to do missing from this album.

Hellfire Thunderbolt and Bothers Of The Road are as cheesy as they come and really don't add to the album, but this certainly isn't the only album out there with filler tracks. To me it just feels like KK could have done better and maybe if he hadn't been so bitter all these years and wasted all his creative energy on making up stories he could have done better with the album.

I need to check the full album out.

FWIW, I loved Ripper on Iced Earth's "The Glorious Burden".

25 minutes ago, True Belief said:

I need to check the full album out.

FWIW, I loved Ripper on Iced Earth's "The Glorious Burden".

It's definitely worth checking out before writing it off like so many already have.

I liked Ripper's singing with JP, I just don't particularly like his singing with KK, or him as a person.

Insanity Alert - 666 Pack

1 hour ago, KillaKukumba said:

As expected this album sounds like Priest, but it also sounds like a watered down Priest on their last legs. It's chessy as hell....

So you're saying it basically sounds like everything Priest has done for the last 37 years since 1984's Defenders of the Faith?

Just a theory, but I'm guessing most of the fans that are still with them now in 2021 as well as the newer younger fans are gonna be perfectly alright with cheesy as hell.

48 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

So you're saying it basically sounds like everything Priest has done for the last 37 years since 1984's Defenders of the Faith?

Just a theory, but I'm guessing most of the fans that are still with them now in 2021 as well as the newer younger fans are gonna be perfectly alright with cheesy as hell.

Yes and no. There is of course elements of Priest, KK wrote for them for many of those 37 years you point out, making something sound completely different for this would not only be difficult but it would go against the brand he created for himself. I'm sure he also banks on that lack of change to keep some fans given that he really does come across at times in interviews like it's a battle between him and Priest and only the strongest will survive. But there is more to the album than just a JP cover band, it might not be much more especially given his chosen singer, but it's there.

Enforced - Killgrid

12 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I never did grab that P d'H album last year but only because it was so damn long, I do happen to enjoy that type of fuzzy droning depressive atmospheric black metal. I suppose I could listen to it in sections but I've found some other bands that do a kind of similar thing in smaller chunks.

My ADHD prefers albums in 20 to 40 minute lengths. Shorter than that and I feel they're leaving too soon after they just arrived and threw their coats on the bed. Any longer and I'm wondering why they're not picking up on my obvious signals that they've worn out their welcome so it's time to pack up their shit and get the fuck out already.

Music that can be described as droning is a weird thing, it can be a love or hate proposition for me. I don't like a lot of droning stuff, most of it probably unless it drones just right and then it can be hypnotically satisfying. I should probably give that P d'H another go-round sometime.

Yeah man I dig that Monolith quite a bit as well. Sometimes I think it's my favorite of theirs.

Enjoy your last few Pennsylvania kayaking excursions of the season Marky Mark before it gets too cold. Been getting down into the 40's last few nights, I love it. Comforter back on the bed, chilly mornings, hooded sweatshirts, football on Sundays, pumpkin ales appearing in the liquor stores, I even bought some pumpkin fritters last week. Makes it really start to feel like fall. Still warming up into or close to the 70's most afternoons and the leaves haven't started changing color yet but that will all be changing soon enough for us northeasterners. Could do just fine without winter and summer but I could never live somewhere that didn't have a real fall.

Yeah fall is one of the nicest times of year except for the fucking leaves in my yard. I spent one night camping in Ohiopyle State Park. Forty something degrees is doable but that's about as cold It as I can deal with. Bought a new boat that's like a Ferrari in the water and having fun with it.  

4 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Oh I gotcha.  Ripper has always been a favorite vocalist of mine, so I'm sure that's why I'm really digging the sound.  I do wish KK had stayed in JP.  He and Tipton made such a dynamic guitar duo!  I also really like a couple of other bands that Ripper is in - Charred Walls of the Damned and Beyond Fear.  And there's another project he's part of with 3 vocalists called The Three Tremors.  He's in it with Sean Peck and another singer as well.  Pretty good stuff!

I wonder if all, or any, of KK's bitterness would have surfaced if he'd stayed in JP. I know a lot of his bitterness is because he hasn't been asked back but there is more than just that floating in his mind. I'm not suggesting the other guys are completely innocent because there was obviously tension before he left. But that sort of tension could have left the band a complete wreck, whereas now, at least we still have a JP even if it's not the line up everyone wants.

I will say this about Ripper, him and KK make a good pair in the press, both have a massive problem with foot in mouth disease. I would really liked to have seen KK hire someone other than Ripper, if only to get away from the idea he was trying to make a cover band.

Dust Bolt - Awake The Riot

@Marky Mark

I guess I'm just cut from a different cloth than most suburbanites. No fucks are given at the Goatmaster residence about leaves in my yard. I'm on a full acre here and not only do I refuse to rake any leaves whatsoever, I rarely bother to even cut the grass until it's at least 8" high. I think I've mowed maybe 4 times this year in the 6 months since the grass greened up in April. I'll probably hit it again once more in a few weeks before the frost comes. Yard maintenance ranks very very low on my personal list of prioriities.

My oldest friend invited us camping at a place he knows in upstate NY two Octobers ago. We were there in our tent for two nights. It got down right around the freezing mark somewhere in the 32 to 34 range both nights. I was a little worried beforehand because I had only been camping one time in those near freezing conditions when I was visiting a friend out in Colorado (the year before I moved there) with equipment he's loaned me (because we had flown out and this camping trip was last minute) and it wasn't fun to say the least. But I learned two years ago that my current big orange sleeping bag lives up to its rating because the little guy and I were toasty warm those two frigid nights in that double bag. The trick is just don't get up out of your warm bag to take a leak or anything when its's that cold because you'll freeze your ass off. Also it'll take a good while for your body heat to warm that bag up again.

Had a boat for a time back in the late 90's and early 2000's. 22 foot 4 Winns cuddy cabin I/O with the U-shaped bench seating in the back. This pic isn't my boat but it's a similar 4 Winns. Kept it in the water at my ex's mothers house all season long as she was right on the canal and had a dock in her backyard she let us keep the boat there for free. Talk about a money pit. We eventually sold it because we just didn't use it often enough to justify the massive expense of gas, maintenance and winterizing. Hope you have more time to spend in your Ferrari boat than we did!

Four Winns Cuddy cabin boats for sale - boatinho.com

NP: Krypts - Descending Era of Putrefaction

Just now, KillaKukumba said:

^ Agreed and although their 2019 comeback was okay it's wasn't as good as I'd hoped.

Haven't heard it.

The one British thrash band that blew my socks off with their comeback was Onslaught with Killing Peace.    One of the best albums of the 21st century in my worthless opinion.