What Are You Listening To?

khaos

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

One of the worst bands I've ever seen live. I like their studio output fine, but I couldn't make it through 3 songs. Not Borknagar bad mind you, but more than I could deal with.

Damn that's a really shame!  They're one of the few bands who in my opinion have a flawless catalogue.  Obviously more of a studio project then!

5 hours ago, Natassja said:

Pantera - Far Beyond Driven 

My favorite band of all time!  And "Far Beyond Driven" is my favorite album of theirs too.  Great choice!

4 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Judas Priest - Defenders Of The Faith

Yes!  The metal titans!  I'm going to see them live at 7 tomorrow night!

I'd love to see JP on their 50th anniversary but I doubt they'll come to Australia. I'm sceptical that the government's goal of open borders by Christmas will actually happen. But even if it does I suspect capacity limits, even with the arguments of vaxed vs non-vaxed, will make it not viable for bands like JP to tour.

Robert Calvert - Captain Lockheed And The Starfighters

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

One of the worst bands I've ever seen live. I like their studio output fine, but I couldn't make it through 3 songs. Not Borknagar bad mind you, but more than I could deal with.

....I've heard that gripe about ATHEIST more than once...but I kind of liken their live performances to CROWBAR....it depends on the show....I've seen ATHEIST 4 or 5 times...once at a show in France...they sounded excellent....but I saw them totally shit the bed a couple of times too....the singer has usually been the problem for me....some shows, he was ear-punishingly awful....others, he sounded really solid....if I ever go to any more live shows and they are on the bill, I'll give 'em another shot....

2 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I'd love to see JP on their 50th anniversary but I doubt they'll come to Australia. I'm sceptical that the government's goal of open borders by Christmas will actually happen. But even if it does I suspect capacity limits, even with the arguments of vaxed vs non-vaxed, will make it not viable for bands like JP to tour.

Robert Calvert - Captain Lockheed And The Starfighters

Ah man, sorry to hear that.  Yeah, I've heard Australia is being incredibly strict with their pandemic response right now.  I'm not vaccinated, so I'm required to show proof of a negative COVID test (that must be taken within 72 hours of the event) in order to attend tomorrow night.  Got tested yesterday, and the negative result was returned to me today, so I'm ready to roll!  My first time seeing some of my metal heroes - just a dream come true!

9 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Ah man, sorry to hear that.  Yeah, I've heard Australia is being incredibly strict with their pandemic response right now.  I'm not vaccinated, so I'm required to show proof of a negative COVID test (that must be taken within 72 hours of the event) in order to attend tomorrow night.  Got tested yesterday, and the negative result was returned to me today, so I'm ready to roll!  My first time seeing some of my metal heroes - just a dream come true!

Our rules are strict unless you are a rich business person or highly paid celebrity. I don't really have a problem with that, but I do wonder when it will end. Despite their promises of freedom etc I really don't see festival gigs coming back to Australia for at least 6 months if not more. Even stadium gigs are going to be restricted with numbers probably capped between 50 and 80%. The only viable way I see international bands coming here in the short term is smaller bands playing smaller venues, the kinds of gigs that weren't more than 80% full pre-covid. But those aren't the sort of gigs bands like JP would play. Still with the whole vax vs unvaxed things failing in other parts of the world who know what our government will finally rest on.

6 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Our rules are strict unless you are a rich business person or highly paid celebrity. I don't really have a problem with that, but I do wonder when it will end. Despite their promises of freedom etc I really don't see festival gigs coming back to Australia for at least 6 months if not more. Even stadium gigs are going to be restricted with numbers probably capped between 50 and 80%. The only viable way I see international bands coming here in the short term is smaller bands playing smaller venues, the kinds of gigs that weren't more than 80% full pre-covid. But those aren't the sort of gigs bands like JP would play. Still with the whole vax vs unvaxed things failing in other parts of the world who know what our government will finally rest on.

Wow, I hope y'all can get back to live gigs as soon as possible!  It's a helpless feeling to be caught in a cycle that doesn't seem to have a definite end.  Sending positive vibes your way!  The country that produced my favorite rock 'n roll band of all time is one that I'll be pulling for!

46 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Wow, I hope y'all can get back to live gigs as soon as possible!  It's a helpless feeling to be caught in a cycle that doesn't seem to have a definite end.  Sending positive vibes your way!  The country that produced my favorite rock 'n roll band of all time is one that I'll be pulling for!

TBH I don't really care when gigs come back, promoters have made them ridiculously expensive and that will only go further post covid. But for me living in the sticks I need to take at least 2 half days off work and family life, and I need city accommodation on top of the $200 a ticket. Even working for myself and pretty much able to take whatever days off I like it's just not viable to go to the city for gigs.

18 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

TBH I don't really care when gigs come back, promoters have made them ridiculously expensive and that will only go further post covid. But for me living in the sticks I need to take at least 2 half days off work and family life, and I need city accommodation on top of the $200 a ticket. Even working for myself and pretty much able to take whatever days off I like it's just not viable to go to the city for gigs.

Oh okay, I see.  Understandable then!  I paid $120 for my ticket, but it ended up being $160 after all the stupid fees were added in.  But oh well, it's a dream to see one of my top favorite metal bands live, especially since it'll be my first concert since before the pandemic!  If they play "Dissident Aggressor", "Judas Rising" and "Riding on the Wind", it'll be incredible, although I love their entire catalog.  Rock on!!

I'll sound like an old fart but I still have my ticket stub from Metallica in '89 (the first big overseas thrash act to hit Aussie shores for a major tour) and Megadeth in '91 with the ticket prices $38 and $43 respectively. Sure venues have changed and gigs have changed in 30 odd years but it's not like we are getting much more for our money these days. It was a little more respectable seeing Overkill for $88 in a 1500 capacity room a few years back, but with stadium gigs and festivals at a minimum of $150, many charging up to $600 for tickets on the floor it's just a joke.  I'd rather see a band, any band, in a small dingy little shit hole with 500 people, no screens, a basic light show and a decent sound man than a stadium or outdoor festival

Hawkwind - Warrior On The Edge Of Time

6 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I'll sound like an old fart but I still have my ticket stub from Metallica in '89 (the first big overseas thrash act to hit Aussie shores for a major tour) and Megadeth in '91 with the ticket prices $38 and $43 respectively. Sure venues have changed and gigs have changed in 30 odd years but it's not like we are getting much more for our money these days. It was a little more respectable seeing Overkill for $88 in a 1500 capacity room a few years back, but with stadium gigs and festivals at a minimum of $150, many charging up to $600 for tickets on the floor it's just a joke.  I'd rather see a band, any band, in a small dingy little shit hole with 500 people, no screens, a basic light show and a decent sound man than a stadium or outdoor festival

Hawkwind - Warrior On The Edge Of Time

I can't blame you there!  I'd love to see a huge band like this in a smaller, more intimate setting.  Meeting Rob Halford would be one of the most amazing things ever.  It really is a shame that they make these things too expensive for some folks to be able to enjoy it.  And man, you got to see Overkill?? They're next on my list!  I'm sad to have to say I've never seen my favorite thrash band live.  But that'll change soon.  One of my favorite shows was back in February 2019 when I saw one of my top 5 favorite bands of all time, Crowbar.  It was at a venue that seated about 500 people.  I got to meet Kirk Windstein and take a picture with him before buying a couple of shirts from the merch booth where his wife was working.  It definitely enhanced the experience to take it all in with a smaller crowd and venue.

I met Rob and Jay Jay when they toured here with Fight in '95, got them both to sign the drumstick I caught.

The problem with the cost of concerts is the stupid people who pay it. Promoters will charge what stupid people are willing to pay and there is virtually is no limit to what some people will pay to see bands. I know people who can't afford to keep their cars on the road but don't think twice about paying $500 for the family to see a band. I'm comfortable enough to be able to afford $600 a ticket but I'm not stupid enough to pay that price. For me no band these days is worth more than $100.

9 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I met Rob and Jay Jay when they toured here with Fight in '95, got them both to sign the drumstick I caught.

The problem with the cost of concerts is the stupid people who pay it. Promoters will charge what stupid people are willing to pay and there is virtually is no limit to what some people will pay to see bands. I know people who can't afford to keep their cars on the road but don't think twice about paying $500 for the family to see a band. I'm comfortable enough to be able to afford $600 a ticket but I'm not stupid enough to pay that price. For me no band these days is worth more than $100.

Fair point!  I guess I'm one of the culprits in this case haha.  At their ages now, I just don't know if I'd ever get another opportunity to see Priest, so I went ahead and ponied up.  But yes, definitely a valid point about promoters charging insane amounts of money just because they can.  That's cool that you got to see Fight!  I really enjoy their music as well.

2 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I plan on buying the DVD of this tour when they release it because I know it will be good but that's it.

Fight was one of the best gigs I've seen, small venue, small crowd, meet and greet, Rob screaming the house down and a bunch of new (at the time) stuff that Rob wouldn't have played with JP.

Sounds awesome!  I'm sure at his age now, he's not able to reach those same notes that he used to, but I have no doubt the metal god will put on a great show!  I hope I can get somewhere fairly near to the stage tomorrow night!

7 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

There was some fan footage posted last week, was only mobile phone stuff, but the guy can still do an amazing job.

Death - Spiritual Healing

Yep!  I'm excited to see it!  I'll be playing as much of their discography as possible all during the work day tomorrow to get ready!