What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Need a primer on Killing Joke. I've had their debut for decades and I like it, but no matter how many times Marko has sung their praises I've still never delved any deeper. This 2006 album Hosannas was really good, a friend of mine also recommended the one before this, their 2003 self titled "comeback" album which I also thought was really good, it's just not up on a single youtube video. Now I've randomly happened onto Extremities, Dirt & Various Repressed Emotions from 1990 which is aslo quite good (so far) where does it end?

Killing Joke - Hosannas From the Basements of Hell 2006

Killing Joke - Extremities, Dirt & Various Repressed Emotions 1990

On 8/26/2021 at 10:56 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

Wow, this track rips! Thanks dude. I've heard bits from these guys before but I'm not super familiar with it. I was listening to some other Larry Coryell yesterday, a bit lighter... This kind of stuff is exactly my speed.

I really like Wetton's sound, and I think it's a great fit for that era of Crimson, but Belew is on another level entirely... I didn't really get it until I watched some early 80s live videos and saw just how fluent and effortless he is with everything. He's completely in the moment, and he seems so joyful, it's infectious.

Sure thing. The first two Eleventh House records are killer, Aspects ain’t bad either but I don’t get into it as much. May put it on again soon though. I like KC’s lyrics around that time too with “Elephant Talk”, “Neurotica”, “Dig Me”, songs like that. Fits Adrian’s singing really well.

25 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Need a primer on Killing Joke. I've had their debut for decades and I like it, but no matter how many times Marko has sung their praises I've still never delved any deeper. This 2006 album Hosannas was really good, a friend of mine also recommended the one before this, their 2003 self titled "comeback" album which I also thought was really good, it's just not up on a single youtube video. Now I've randomly happened onto Extremities, Dirt & Various Repressed Emotions from 1990 which is aslo quite good (so far) where does it end?

Killing Joke - Hosannas From the Basements of Hell 2006

Killing Joke - Extremities, Dirt & Various Repressed Emotions 1990

....alright WhiteNoise....now you're talking....you can't go wrong with any of their output....but here's a few you might like....

KILLING JOKE - What's This For!

...this is one of my favourites.... "The Fall Of Because" is one of their greatest songs....you'll like this one I think....

KILLING JOKE - Night Time

....great album with my all time favourite KJ song "Eighties"....not as aggro as some of their records but it reminds me of a particular time in my life and the lyrics are even timely today....

KILLING JOKE - Democracy

.....I'd also include these as well....

" Pylon"

"MMXII"

" Killing Joke" (2003)....Dave Grohl on drums....sounds excellent...

...start with these and see what you think....

I was already 9 minutes deep into Night Time as I saw your post. Wasn't immediate love at first sight with this one like some of those others but after 2 tracks I was all in. They're not listed on M-A so I looked 'em up on RYM and Night Time got the highest overall rating 3.79, followed by Hosannas and the 2003 S/T. After that comes Pandemonium, 1980 S/T debut and then Extremities. Kind of interested to hear What's This For! next to see where they went immediately after the debut. This isn't the kind of music I'm craving every day but when I get in the mood I can totally dig it. That gives me 7 KJ albums to digest, that's nearly half of their studio albums so probably a good start for one day.

2 minutes ago, zackflag said:

Hooded Menace - The Tritonus Bell (2021)

This is a pleasant surprise. I've always thought Hooded Menace were decent but could never get big into them. This album might've changed my mind. The King Diamond / Mercyful Fate vibes have sold me!

Every time I've tried to write these guys off as boring plodding generic death/doom someone comes along and recos their newest one and I get suckered back in. Nice to see you stop by Zach, I was just wondering this afternoon where you had wandered off to.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I was already 9 minutes deep into Night Time as I saw your post. Wasn't immediate love at first sight with this one like some of those others but after 2 tracks I was all in. They're not listed on M-A so I looked 'em up on RYM and Night Time got the highest overall rating 3.79, followed by Hosannas and the 2003 S/T. After that comes Pandemonium, 1980 S/T debut and then Extremities. Kind of interested to hear What's This For! next to see where they went immediately after the debut. This isn't the kind of music I'm craving every day but when I get in the mood I can totally dig it. That gives me 7 KJ albums to digest, that's nearly half of their studio albums so probably a good start for one day.

Every time I've tried to write these guys off as boring plodding generic death/doom someone comes along and recos their newest one and I get suckered back in. Nice to see you stop by Zach, I was just wondering this afternoon where you had wandered off to.

....WhiteNoise....after you complete your KILLING JOKE journey, why don't you try out some of the jazz recos....you've already heard of some if not all of the ones I listed....dive in on some PHAROAH SANDERS or CECIL TAYLOR...

BETTY DAVIS - Betty Davis

....BETTY DAVIS was married to MILES and he was highly influenced by her musical interest in funk and it pointed him towards his fusion period......he also produced some early sessions for BETTY in the late 60's that had HERBIE HANCOCK, JOHN MCLAUGHLIN and HUGH MASEKELA playing....you can draw a direct line from these sessions to "Bitches Brew".... 

I've tried to dive into jazz before since there were a bunch of guys on that Metal-Fi forum who were pretty into it. And while I can enjoy some of it in very small doses and I do kinda like that one Brubeck album, that's about it. I finally just gave up trying to get into Miles and Mingus and Monk and all those 60's dudes, bebop or hard bop or whatever the fuck it is. An album like Bitches Brew is as undecipherable to me as Ulcerate or Gorguts is. Kind of Blue kind of bores me.  I can sorta see why people might think that stuff is good but like tech or dissonant death and prog it's just not my cuppa.

Ironically when I first moved out to Denver in 2016 I used to tune the car radio to the local jazz station when my wife and kid were in the car because I can at least appreciate the non-commerciality of it and it does not offend or disgust me the way commercial dogshit pop and rock radio generally does. As backround music jazz is perfectly acceptable and occasionally there's a cool riff I can tap my foot to but I just can't get excited about jazz the way I do over more aggro stuff as you would say.

I've been doing Discharge and Killing Joke back and forth for several hours tonight, but now I've switched over to some more extreme stuff. My friend Cody from Afterbirth reco'd this Succumb to me a little while ago and I'm really digging it. Their new one will be coming out Sept 24th but there are only two promo tracks available so far. Their 2017 album is bangin'

Succumb - S/T 2017, blackened deathgrind from San Francisco

Melting Rot - Blood Delusions, 2021 goregrind/grindcore and all-around HM2 abuse from Chicago

7 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I've tried to dive into jazz before since there were a bunch of guys on that Metal-Fi forum who were pretty into it. And while I can enjoy some of it in very small doses and I do kinda like that one Brubeck album, that's about it. I finally just gave up trying to get into Miles and Mingus and Monk and all those 60's dudes, bebop or hard bop or whatever the fuck it is. An album like Bitches Brew is as undecipherable to me as Ulcerate or Gorguts is. Kind of Blue kind of bores me.  I can sorta see why people might think that stuff is good but like tech or dissonant death and prog it's just not my cuppa.

Ironically when I first moved out to Denver in 2016 I used to tune the car radio to the local jazz station when my wife and kid were in the car because I can at least appreciate the non-commerciality of it and it does not offend or disgust me the way commercial dogshit pop and rock radio generally does. As backround music jazz is perfectly acceptable and occasionally there's a cool riff I can tap my foot to but I just can't get excited about jazz the way I do over more aggro stuff as you would say.

I've been doing Discharge and Killing Joke back and forth for several hours tonight, but now I've switched over to some more extreme stuff. My friend Cody from Afterbirth reco'd this Succumb to me a little while ago and I'm really digging it. Their new one will be coming out Sept 24th but there are only two promo tracks available so far. Their 2017 album is bangin'

Succumb - S/T 2017, blackened deathgrind from San Francisco

Melting Rot - Blood Delusions, 2021 goregrind/grindcore and all-around HM2 abuse from Chicago

....here's some jazz that might turn your screws....

JOHN ZORN - Grand Guignol

Head to Elizabethan England at the annual New York Renaissance Faire

NY State Ren Faire is only 35 minutes (24.6 miles) from me. I've been there once or twice over the years but I really don't enjoy dressing up like a pirate and last I knew it was supposed to rain this weekend. You guys have yourselves a good time though!

@Marko...that Zorn was interesting but it's really not what I think of as "jazz" at least as far as what I understand jazz to be. I'd classify it as maybe avant-garde ambient or something like that with some jarring parts thrown in. It really kinda defies classification though. Might be cool as background music but I'm not the biggest background music guy.

NP: Irrlycht - Wolfish Grandeur, German black metal

Wormwitch - Wolf Hex, crusty black metal from the great white north

Jazz is such a vast scene.  Saying you like jazz is almost like saying you like music.  Everything is there, from 1920's dance music to 21st century noise and everything in between.  I have listened to a lot of jazz and played some too and while I much prefer loud annoying metal these days I still listen to jazz, but I don't need to hear the 'classics' again.  As with metal, I am interested in the novel.

There is jazz that I actively dislike -  for example heavy handed, hundred notes a minute pianism such as Art Tatum and Oscar Peterson and a lot of jazz singing - trivial tunes tarted up.  

What do I like?  Is there a jazz thread here to play with?  I will go looking and in the meantime a good deal of what I mention here is jazz of some sort.

I'm admittedly not a Nirvana fan. Never saw the big deal at the time, but as time goes on, I find a few songs here and there that I like. Their Wipers covers are fucking ace, especially D-7. Kurt's guitar tone on this song just kills. Makes sense as he was ripping off Greg Sage his whole career, but whatever. Still good shit.

D-7 Live at Reading

Return of the Rat

This cover isn't nearly as good as the original, but still pretty decent

The Man Who Sold the World (Bowie cover)

Of their own output, these are my favorite

Territorial Pissings

Molly's Lips

Floyd the Barber

Polly

Negative Creep

Watching these videos this morning reminds me what a monster Dave Grohl was on drums.