What Are You Listening To?

khaos

.....since I brought up "Kind Of Blue" earlier....

MILES DAVIS - Kind Of Blue

.....easily in my top 10 favourite jazz records of all time....probably in the top 5....

....rating jazz records is very difficult for me.....next to impossible to narrow down my choices....maybe I'll have to try and make a list sometime....not that anyone could give a shit but me....

On 8/22/2021 at 3:42 AM, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

VULTURE LORD - Desecration Rite

Way to bury the lead! This is a top 10 or 5 this year for me. These guys are (black) metal masters. I love when truly talented extreme metal acts actually go all out to craft an entire album instead of relying on tropes or one trick. This one slays. Here is the BC: 

Desecration Rite | VULTURE LORD | Odium Records (bandcamp.com)

Herman Frank - "The Devil Rides Out" (album)

17 hours ago, Kristiko said:

Avenged Sevenfold - Waking The Fallen (album)

Fantastic choice!  Man I was 13 when that album came out, and it still stands as one of my favorite metal albums of all time.  I can't decide if that one or "City of Evil" is my favorite A7X album in their catalog.  Those are two very different sounding albums in terms of style, but I love them both!

42 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Herman Frank - "The Devil Rides Out" (album)

Fantastic choice!  Man I was 13 when that album came out, and it still stands as one of my favorite metal albums of all time.  I can't decide if that one or "City of Evil" is my favorite A7X album in their catalog.  Those are two very different sounding albums in terms of style, but I love them both!

I thought it's gonna be much more screaming, but it's nice to hear there's actually a lot of melody in singing.

Pearl Jam - Ten (album)

31 minutes ago, Kristiko said:

I thought it's gonna be much more screaming, but it's nice to hear there's actually a lot of melody in singing.

Pearl Jam - Ten (album)

Yeah!  It's definitely different than what their first two albums sounded like.  It's heavy in a different way.  "City of Evil" contains the best guitar work the band has ever done, in my opinion.  Great harmonies and killer solos throughout.  The first 4 tracks alone are worth the price, but the whole thing is great.  I actually remember hating it when it first came out, because I really liked the metalcore sound on their first 2 albums, but I've grown to really love it over the years. 

16 hours ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

.....since I brought up "Kind Of Blue" earlier....

.....easily in my top 10 favourite jazz records of all time....probably in the top 5....

....rating jazz records is very difficult for me.....next to impossible to narrow down my choices....maybe I'll have to try and make a list sometime....not that anyone could give a shit but me....

Sketches of Spain is top 3 for me from Miles, right after Kind of Blue and Bitches' Brew. Great chill late night listening. I need to improve my vinyl Miles collection. I had 30+ albums on CD at one point, but they found a new home somehow. Hope that person is enjoying them.

As for top 5 Jazz albums...man I agree with you. Almost impossible to do a ranked list, but if I had to

1) Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

2) Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard

3) Dave Brubeck - Time Out

4) Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire

5) John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

*6) Charlie Mingus - Mingus Ah Um

That's leaving a ton of great albums out by Eric Dolphy, Thelonious Monk, Ornette Coleman, Return To Forever, Art Blakely, Duke Ellington, Count Basie....I could go on for quite a while.

And I did enjoy those first few Mastodon albums. I think they lose me after Once More Around the Sun.

Anyway, today we are preparing to be rocked like a hurricane. Fortunately, our girl Ida is headed slightly west of us, but I don't trust that bitch. One small hiccup to the east and we will get the brunt. Fingers crossed (and generator gassed up). It's overcast and miserable outside, so some drab music is in order to match.

Opeth - Blackwater Park

Opeth - The Roundhouse Tapes

I don't know how the computers decide exactly where these hurricanes are going to track. Last weekend they had Henri headed straight for Long Island, I heard from a friend they were recommending a voluntary evacuation of Fire Island in anticipation of the storm surge.

But then in the morning we saw that he had veered a little bit east overnight and made landfall on the RI-CT border. We still got a ton of rain even all the way out here in northwestern Jersey 90 minutes from the city, some towns east of me and parts of NYC got over 10 inches between Saturday night and Sunday.

Pictures I'm seeing of Ida's track look like a curve ball where she'll kinda drift west today and tomorrow and then once she hits land Sunday in LA she'll hook right around you back to the east. I wouldn't trust that bitch either. Batton down the hatches and good luck dude!

12 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I don't know how the computers decide exactly where these hurricanes are going to track. Last weekend they had Henri headed straight for Long Island, I heard from a friend they were recommending a voluntary evacuation of Fire Island in anticipation of the storm surge.

But then in the morning we saw that he had veered a little bit east overnight and made landfall on the RI-CT border. We still got a ton of rain even all the way out here in northwestern Jersey 90 minutes from the city, some towns east of me and parts of NYC got over 10 inches between Saturday night and Sunday.

Pictures I'm seeing of Ida's track look like a curve ball where she'll kinda drift west today and tomorrow and then once she hits land Sunday in LA she'll hook right around you back to the east. I wouldn't trust that bitch either. Batton down the hatches and good luck dude!

Plenty of high quality bourbon and meat on hand. And of course a terabyte or 4 of high quality music to get us through. These fucking things are always unpredictable, so we stay prepared. Even if it's just a soggy weekend.

Some chill and then amping up the level a bit

HUM - Inlet

Der Blutharsch and the infinite church of the leading hand - Sucht & Ordnung

Malokarpatan - Krupinské Ohne

9 hours ago, navybsn said:

Sketches of Spain is top 3 for me from Miles, right after Kind of Blue and Bitches' Brew. Great chill late night listening. I need to improve my vinyl Miles collection. I had 30+ albums on CD at one point, but they found a new home somehow. Hope that person is enjoying them.

As for top 5 Jazz albums...man I agree with you. Almost impossible to do a ranked list, but if I had to

2) Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard

4) Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire

5) John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

*6) Charlie Mingus - Mingus Ah Um

That's leaving a ton of great albums out by Eric Dolphy, Thelonious Monk, Ornette Coleman, Return To Forever, Art Blakely, Duke Ellington, Count Basie....I could go on for quite a while.

And I did enjoy those first few Mastodon albums. I think they lose me after Once More Around the Sun.

Anyway, today we are preparing to be rocked like a hurricane. Fortunately, our girl Ida is headed slightly west of us, but I don't trust that bitch. One small hiccup to the east and we will get the brunt. Fingers crossed (and generator gassed up). It's overcast and miserable outside, so some drab music is in order to match.

Opeth - Blackwater Park

Opeth - The Roundhouse Tapes

...excellent Top 6.....can't go wrong with any of those.....

....like WhiteNoise, I can't make a small list of anything....so here's a list of some of my favourites...tried to keep it to one from each artist, except for COLTRANE....

JOHN COLTRANE - Giant Steps

JOHN COLTRANE - Ascension

PHAROAH SANDERS - Karma

SONNY ROLLINS - Saxophone Colossus

THELONIUS MONK - Brilliant Corners

CHARLIE PARKER - Savoy Recordings

LOUIS ARMSTRONG - Complete Hot Fives And Sevens

ORNETTE COLEMAN - Free Jazz

ALICE COLTRANE - Journey To Satchidananda

CECIL TAYLOR - At The Cafe Montmartre

DUKE ELLINGTON - Ellington At Newport

CHARLES MINGUS - .The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady

SONNY ROLLINS - The Bridge

SUN RA - The Heliocentric Worlds Of Sun Ra

DIZZY GILLESPIE - Shaw 'Nuff

COLEMAN HAWKINS - Body And Soul

COUNT BASIE - The Atomic Mr. Basie

ARCHIE SHEPP - Four For Trane

GERRY MULLIGAN - Gerry Mulligan Quartet

WAYNE SHORTER - Speak No Evil

CHARLIE HADEN - Liberation Music Orchestra

CHARLES MINGUS - Pithecanthropus Erectus

CHET BAKER - Chet Baker And Crew

LEE MORGAN - The Sidewinder

....leaving off massive amounts of great artists that I'd probably have on my list on a different day....DEXTER GORDON, ALBERT AYLER TRIO, HERBIE HANCOCK, SARAH VAUGHAN, BILLIE HOLIDAY, ANTHONY BRAXTON, HORACE SILVER BILL EVANS, etc. etc. etc..........

3 hours ago, navybsn said:

I’ve heard these two far, far too many times at Hi-Fi shows and audiophile get togethers which has ruined the magic.

Tonights playlist starts with…

Merzuul - Gallipoli (this is getting repeated plays at the moment)

SIG:AR:TYR - Northern 

The Committee - Utopian Deception 

41 minutes ago, BMB said:

I’ve heard these two far, far too many times at Hi-Fi shows and audiophile get togethers which has ruined the magic.

Tonights playlist starts with…

Merzuul - Gallipoli (this is getting repeated plays at the moment)

SIG:AR:TYR - Northern 

The Committee - Utopian Deception 

Yeah, those 2 are probably the most popular audiophile test recordings of all time. I imagine every audiophile in the world is intimately familiar with both. Take Five is the first thing I listen to on a new piece of gear. If it doesn't sound just right, we've got big problems. Neither album is in regular rotation at my house, but they are essential albums.

Further down the spiral today:

Darkthrone - Old Star

Mortuary Drape - All The Witches Dance

G.B.H. - Midnight Madness And Beyond...1986

Broken Bones - Dem Bones, 1984, Tony "Bones" Roberts band when he left Discharge

Discharge - Grave New World, 1986, this album got a ton of hate from the hardcore punks because they "sold out" and went heavy metal on them but honestly even with the horrible high pitched vox (they're really bad) I still kinda like this record

Discharge - End of Days, 2016, sorta sounds like a combo of DIscharge and Bones

Just occurred to me that our boy Navy looks a bit like current Discharge vocalist JJ Janaik (in front holding the beer) if you shaved off his mini mohawk and he grew a little goatee.

Discharge : Jeff "JJ" Janiak : Metal-Rules.com

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

Yeah, those 2 are probably the most popular audiophile test recordings of all time. I imagine every audiophile in the world is intimately familiar with both. Take Five is the first thing I listen to on a new piece of gear. If it doesn't sound just right, we've got big problems. Neither album is in regular rotation at my house, but they are essential albums.

Further down the spiral today:

Darkthrone - Old Star

Mortuary Drape - All The Witches Dance

You can also add anything by Diana Krall and Eva Cassidy to the list!

…next up…

UADA - Djinn

Valravn - Prey

17 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

G.B.H. - Midnight Madness And Beyond...1986

Broken Bones - Dem Bones, 1984, Tony "Bones" Roberts band when he left Discharge

Discharge - Grave New World, 1986, this album got a ton of hate from the hardcore punks because they "sold out" and went heavy metal on them but honestly even with the horrible high pitched vox (they're really bad) I still kinda like this record

Discharge - End of Days, 2016, sorta sounds like a combo of DIscharge and Bones

Just occurred to me that our boy Navy looks a bit like current Discharge vocalist JJ Janaik (in front holding the beer) if you shaved off his mini mohawk and he grew a little goatee.

Discharge : Jeff "JJ" Janiak : Metal-Rules.com

At least it's not Five Finger Fruit Punch....

Funny story, on the 70K cruise last year, I was mistaken for the lead guitarist for Venom the whole time. Laughed my ass off every time. Could be worse...I'd really rather not look like Cronos!

(Right)

OIP.jpg