What Are You Listening To?

khaos

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You know I was thinking the exact same thing, then I checked them out and to my dismay I wasn't feeling it. Interesting for sure but not a purchase. Can't win 'em all. 

And to address your question from the other day sir, what the fuck is up with the Cosmic Psychos supposedly releasing an album on the 9th of July that even 12 days later does not seem to be available anywhere? Not on their Bandcamp, not on their website where you can get all their other albums, wtf? I assume that it will be available to us at some point but you'd think they would have it ready to go by their chosen release date or at least they could have picked a date that they could make work. Tired of listening to it on YT.

NP: Valais - S/T,  black/death from Ireland, this was an easy $6 purchase.

I've been working on a particularly massive list these last several nights, my personal top 10 favorite albums (any genre) from every single year from 1975 through 2021. I do this every so many years just to see how the list has changed as I've discovered more albums from years past and it's fun to see how my tastes have changed over the years. I'm up to 2001 so far, being very careful to save my work offline after settling on my top 10 for each year, 'cause I really don't want to lose this post. It should start getting easier as I go along because I already have lists of favorites saved from the more recent years so it just becomes a matter of narrowing them down to 10. It's a lot of listening to compare but I reckon I should be done with this by the weekend give or take. 47 years of metal and punk, 470 albums, gonna make you spend lots of money Marky Mark. Once I decide which thread to post this on. 

I didn't listen to more than a few minutes. Not my thing even though Marko's description sounded pretty awesome. Still a great name.

Still wish I could find that Psychos album. It's a lock purchase.

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Lightless Walk is great. They were awesome live, too. What did you think of A Patient Man? I liked it well enough but I didn't wind up going back to it very much.

....I liked both records equally for what they are.... "Lightless Walk" is a lot closer to the chaotic hardcore style reminiscent of GAZA (...although GAZA had some sludge elements, in their sound..) and "A Patient Man" is more along the lines of my favourite band NEUROSIS with a lot more of a massive sludge flavor, mixed in with the hardcore...

....as much as I like GAZA, I'm glad CULT LEADER formed and is putting out great records too....if you haven't already done so, I would suggest checking out the two EPs they put out....I

...I'd also highly recommend any of the records by GAZA....they were pretty crushing in their own right....

19 minutes ago, navybsn said:

I didn't listen to more than a few minutes. Not my thing even though Marko's description sounded pretty awesome. Still a great name.

Still wish I could find that Psychos album. It's a lock purchase.

.....the PSYCHOS record is only on pre order....go to their website and you can pre order for August release....that's what I did....$40 for Piss Yellow vinyl....they also have it on CD.....

Martwa Aura - Morbus Animus

Still working my way through @GoatmasterGeneral's list from the "all time BM thread" and hit this yesterday.  Agree with your sentiment that this is better than Mgla who I have never really warmed to on an album basis.  This feels more earthy in its melodies and more varied in its rhythms.

Sat through Archgoat yesterday but as per my normal experience of them I really have to be in the mood for ten tracks of non-stop blasting squall.  Mürg are fucking cool though and I need to spend a little more time with Ordinance and its endless riffs!

On 7/20/2021 at 9:35 PM, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

WARFRONT.....etc.

Marco, you've got such diverse tastes...luv it. I aim to go back and listen to some of your recent punk/HC posts.....from the mere seconds I've heard...sounds like some great palette cleansers all around. 

12 hours ago, markm said:

Carcass/Symphonies of Sickness & Necroticism 

I tend to listen to CD's in my ride -I've got a big stack in rotation covering the last five years or more but then tend to neglect the mostly Bandcamp downloads I have of which I don't own physically.  Really stupid as a I have a USB drive in my car with a good amount of downloads including a bunch of classic death metal I picked up a couple of years ago with a lot of great advice from some of my Metal-Fi friends-particular props have to go to the GoatmasterGeneral. Of note are a series of full dynamic range releases-debatable how much difference FDR makes with some pretty ghetto production, but it's cool to have-wish I had a physical copy. So, yeah, gonna dig into these some more in my ride.

Been listening to exactly these + Heartwork FDR edition.

I went on a bit of a Carcass bender after watching an Ola Englund video about the Carcass Heartwork tone. Bill Steer used a Marshall Guv'nor overdrive pedal into a 5150 head. In a moment of madness I bought myself a Made in England Guv'nor from late 80s from eBay. It is in absolutely mint condition but I do find the bottom end drops out a bit when it is on. A few experiments straight into my Diezel Herbert dirty channel (but with gain right down) seem to yield decent results.

It doesn't make me magically play like Bill Steer though so its a bit of a rip off.

1 hour ago, JonoBlade said:

Been listening to exactly these + Heartwork FDR edition.

I went on a bit of a Carcass bender after watching an Ola Englund video about the Carcass Heartwork tone. Bill Steer used a Marshall Guv'nor overdrive pedal into a 5150 head. In a moment of madness I bought myself a Made in England Guv'nor from late 80s from eBay. It is in absolutely mint condition but I do find the bottom end drops out a bit when it is on. A few experiments straight into my Diezel Herbert dirty channel (but with gain right down) seem to yield decent results.

It doesn't make me magically play like Bill Steer though so its a bit of a rip off.

Maybe Jon-O if you could get Bill Steer to plug his vintage cord into your "dirty channel" his talent would rub off on you a wee bit? 😉

I also can't help but notice that like so many other talented guitarists, the man has freakishly long fingers. 

10 hours ago, markm said:

Your lists are epic. I'm particularly fond of your death lists. I've got a very loose favorite albums by year, but I go back to the 50's and 60's since I've got a fair amount of albums from those decades with jazz included. Some years are less than 10, others 20 or so. I started it mostly to remember which years these damn albums belong to for reference....ya know, when people say----'86 or '93 were amazing years in metal or whateves, I can look up what I like from a particular year. 

That's what I love about being all digital I can sort all my music by year or by genre or by whatever I want with a click. I wouldn't even be able to make a comprehensive list like this just from memory, it's just too much music to keep all the details in my head. I've been trying to keep it to 10-ish per year but it's hard especially for the last several years when I've bought so much music so I have let some years creep up over 10. I do have all years currently under 15 except for the last 5 years. Having a lot of trouble narrowing these down (as usual) I might just let it fly as it is tonight. I have 2 years with just over 20 albums, but if I can get those down to 20 max I'll probably just call it done and post it tonight.

Funny a friend of mine asked me why I start with 1975, he said you're old enough to have 60's music as well. But I really don't listen to much 60's and early 70's music anymore with any regularity except for the Beatles. I start with '75 because that gives me Sabotage, Physical Graffiti and Wish You Were Here, arguably 3 of the greatest rock albums of the decade. I was 13 and then turned 14 in August '75 so 8th & 9th grades, that was right around the time I was starting to really get heavily into music. Record albums cost $3.99 back then, $4.19 with tax so that's also when I started eating one meal a day because the $5 my dad would give me to buy my school lunch each week was all going solely to buy records.

10 hours ago, Thatguy said:

SIGIL - Nether.  The blurb on Bandcamp compared then to Castavet.  Remember Castavet?  I do - they were great.  A good comparison, and this is a good album.

I'll have to give this a spin. Castevet was awesome - they had one of the best lineups in NY for a while there, and "Obsian" was ahead of the curve. Their drummer was one of my favorites to see live. Last I knew, he was playing with a band called Aeviterne. Also, have you heard Turris Eburnea? Nick McMaster on bass, some Castevet vibes going on in the guitars as well.

10 hours ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

....I liked both records equally for what they are.... "Lightless Walk" is a lot closer to the chaotic hardcore style reminiscent of GAZA (...although GAZA had some sludge elements, in their sound..) and "A Patient Man" is more along the lines of my favourite band NEUROSIS with a lot more of a massive sludge flavor, mixed in with the hardcore...

....as much as I like GAZA, I'm glad CULT LEADER formed and is putting out great records too....if you haven't already done so, I would suggest checking out the two EPs they put out....I

...I'd also highly recommend any of the records by GAZA....they were pretty crushing in their own right....

Yeah, I like Gaza a lot. Interesting Neurosis comparison - I used to listen to them a ton, but I hadn't made that connection with Cult Leader's sound. Maybe keeping that in mind will help be connect with the newer album more. Times Of Grace and A Sun That Never Sets are still my top Neurosis albums. It took me a while to start enjoying them. It was a similarity to Swans in their moodier and more post-rock moments that ended up drawing me in.

I haven't heard the Cult Leader EPs, I'll have a look for those, thanks.

I've completely fallen down this Sovietwave/post-punk rabbit hole this week. So many great tracks I've not heard before. Really goes along great in the background while I'm plugging away at work. I can't ever remember listening to Castevet or Martwa Auru so maybe I will add those to the playlist for today while I await another epic Goatmaster list drop. Reminds me to clear my schedule for the next few weeks...

8 minutes ago, navybsn said:

I've completely fallen down this Sovietwave/post-punk rabbit hole this week. So many great tracks I've not heard before. Really goes along great in the background while I'm plugging away at work. I can't ever remember listening to Castevet or Martwa Auru so maybe I will add those to the playlist for today while I await another epic Goatmaster list drop. Reminds me to clear my schedule for the next few weeks...

"Obsian" is really good if you're in the mood - it has a bit of an Icelandic BM vibe mixed with post-rock, nice sense of melody and atmosphere.  I used to have their older recordings on a burned CD but it looks like they got lost in the mix somewhere during one of my moves.

10 hours ago, markm said:

Marco, you've got such diverse tastes...luv it. I aim to go back and listen to some of your recent punk/HC posts.....from the mere seconds I've heard...sounds like some great palette cleansers all around. 

....appreciate it, thanks man....if you're looking for some punkrock or hardcore....maybe something by some of these bands might interest you...

....more than likely you've heard of most of these, but just in case, I always start a reco-list with something from each of the following....

G.I.S.M. ......one of my all time favourite bands...all roads to extreme music start here

ROSE ROSE .....another great Japanese hardcore band

DIE YOU BASTARD! ....Ironfist Tatsushima's post G.I.S.M. band

GASTUNK .....a Japanese forerunner to TOXIC HOLOCAUST and POISONCHARGE...sleazier version of S.O.B.....

IN COLD BLOOD .....metallic hardcore from Cleveland...if you like INTEGRITY, you'll like this

UNHOLY MAJESTY ....metallic HC from Germany....sounds very much in the vein of SWORN ENEMY....

RAGING SPEEDHORN....Euro-hardcore but with a very southern US hardcore flavor.... 

RASPBERRY BULBS ....one of the best BM punk bands going 

HELLSHOCK.....crusty legends from Oregon....always had a Euro-flavor to my ears....

....there's usually something for metal fans in at least one of these bands....

....since I brought up POISONCHARGE....

POISONCHARGE

7 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

"Obsian" is really good if you're in the mood - it has a bit of an Icelandic BM vibe mixed with post-rock, nice sense of melody and atmosphere.  I used to have their older recordings on a burned CD but it looks like they got lost in the mix somewhere during one of my moves.

Checked it out on the way home today. A bit off kilter, but in a good way. Funny you mentioned post rock. I was thinking it reminded me of Rosetta in places. The other band that kept coming to mind was Weakling. Has a bit of that Aquarius Records/ Bay Area sound to it. The drummer is definitely impressive. A lot of unorthodox rhythms. Definitely need a few more times through to really appreciate, but I dig it.

10 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I'll have to give this a spin. Castevet was awesome - they had one of the best lineups in NY for a while there, and "Obsian" was ahead of the curve. Their drummer was one of my favorites to see live. Last I knew, he was playing with a band called Aeviterne. Also, have you heard Turris Eburnea? Nick McMaster on bass, some Castevet vibes going on in the guitars as well.

20 hours ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

Thanks for this.  I have been praising Castavet forever and the unworthy Metal-Fi goats just ignored me.  I will check out Aeviterne and Turris Eburnea right now.

5 hours ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

....appreciate it, thanks man....if you're looking for some punkrock or hardcore....maybe something by some of these bands might interest you...

....more than likely you've heard of most of these, but just in case, I always start a reco-list with something from each of the following....

G.I.S.M. ......one of my all time favourite bands...all roads to extreme music start here

ROSE ROSE .....another great Japanese hardcore band

DIE YOU BASTARD! ....Ironfist Tatsushima's post G.I.S.M. band

GASTUNK .....a Japanese forerunner to TOXIC HOLOCAUST and POISONCHARGE...sleazier version of S.O.B.....

IN COLD BLOOD .....metallic hardcore from Cleveland...if you like INTEGRITY, you'll like this

UNHOLY MAJESTY ....metallic HC from Germany....sounds very much in the vein of SWORN ENEMY....

RAGING SPEEDHORN....Euro-hardcore but with a very southern US hardcore flavor.... 

RASPBERRY BULBS ....one of the best BM punk bands going 

HELLSHOCK.....crusty legends from Oregon....always had a Euro-flavor to my ears....

....there's usually something for metal fans in at least one of these bands....

....since I brought up POISONCHARGE....

POISONCHARGE

Fuck me-haven't heard any of these-time to roll my sleeves-The sheer volume of material you bring most of which I'm ignorant blows me away.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Thanks for this.  I have been praising Castavet forever and the unworthy Metal-Fi goats just ignored me.  I will check out Aeviterne and Turris Eburnea right now.

Yeah Castavet-knew I had that name buried somewhere in my collection. Not in my digital collection....wtf....OK, time to look through the CD archives and in the rack, right next to Candlemass....found a single burned disc with hand written album titles old school from 2010--must have been from one of those wretched Itunes downloads prior to my digital rebirth crica 2012-Castavet/Mounds of Ash----will have to listen again. 

And inspired by Jon-on my drive-Carcass/Heartwork-FDR -accept no substitutes 

On 7/20/2021 at 9:43 PM, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

....that DEADLY MOUSSAKA sounds like .45 GRAVE, PARADISE LOST and TYPE O NEGATIVE went to a party and fell into a bong that got smoked by BAUHAUS....

This got my attention until I listened to it. Reminded me of the Fvneral Fvkk album: good tone, some riffs, but ultimately really repetitive and boring after not too long.

Also yo what's up Marko it's been years since Amazon shut down.

Jarhead Fertilizer - Product of My Environment

Scarface - The Diary (Chopped and Screwed)

2 hours ago, markm said:

Fuck me-haven't heard any of these-time to roll my sleeves-The sheer volume of material you bring most of which I'm ignorant blows me away.

Yeah Castavet-knew I had that name buried somewhere in my collection. Not in my digital collection....wtf....OK, time to look through the CD archives and in the rack, right next to Candlemass....found a single burned disc with hand written album titles old school from 2010--must have been from one of those wretched Itunes downloads prior to my digital rebirth crica 2012-Castavet/Mounds of Ash----will have to listen again. 

And inspired by Jon-on my drive-Carcass/Heartwork-FDR -accept no substitutes 

....I would say the only one of those bands with a somewhat spotty output would be RAGING SPEEDHORN....they had a bit of a groove/butt metal tinge early on which I don't have a problem with, it's just not for me....but they moved away from that fairly quickly and got more southern-sludgey along the lines of ALABAMA THUNDERPUSSY and other bands of that ilk....they still retain that hardcore influence though....just wish they were a little less polished with their production....

...from what I have gathered from your listening choices, I figure RASPBERRY BULBS would be most to your liking....

1 hour ago, Trekker1 said:

This got my attention until I listened to it. Reminded me of the Fvneral Fvkk album: good tone, some riffs, but ultimately really repetitive and boring after not too long.

Also yo what's up Marko it's been years since Amazon shut down.

Jarhead Fertilizer - Product of My Environment

Scarface - The Diary (Chopped and Screwed)

....I would consider FVNERAL FVKK a far superior band, but I don't hear any postpunk influence in their more old school doom sound....

...oh and by the way, hello....I do remember you from the past...nice to see you here....

Raging Speedhorn - Lost Ritual 

Speaking of Alabama Thunderpussy...First thing I thought of when Speeedhorn came on was these good ole boys from 'Bama who I hadn't heard or even thought about in well over a decade. I did have a brief flirtation with this kind of more mainstream polished southern sludgey stoner rock back in the mid 2000's before I had earned my goat wings. Ultimately it just wasn't really my thing, all these kinds of rockin' bands (and there were a lot of them 16 years ago) deffo left me wanting more and I moved deeper into the filthy end of the death and black metal pool as the oughts went on. I reckon Speedhorn is the better band, there's no hardcore at all that I can hear in Maylene's sound. But even still going by just this one 2016 album, Speedhorn is not something I think I'd be likely to return to. 

Maylene and the Sons of Disaster

I can second the reco for Raspberry Bulbs though. Not something I play a lot but I enjoy the hell out of it when I do. They have that kinda messy don't give a fuck stripped down garage rock sound I love mixed with a lot of punk and some post rock and wee bits of whatever else might be lurking here. Seems some people say they hear black metal afoot here as weIl. I don't hear black metal myself honestly, but then I suppose as a lover of punky black metal this does appeal to me so who knows, there may be just a little pinch in here that my old goat eyes are blind to.

As far as the lo-fi Japanese hardcore bands go, I dig that shit but not sure Mark would be all that interested.

G.I.S.M. - Detestation

Just taking a little break here, I've been knee deep in 2019 for several hours trying to get that year's list down to 20 (have just one more to cut now) and I needed a diversion and a little palate cleanser as Marky Mark might say.

Mork - Det Svarte Juv, punky Norweigian black metal, 2019