What Are You Listening To?

khaos

9 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I couldn't get into this one, but I think "Nid: Hymner Av Hat" is really good. Lots of classic second-wave vibes.

Funny that you mention it. With me it's just the other way around. The first one instantly clicked but the second one took some time before i started enjoying it. Like you said it's classic 2nd wave inspired stuff but they do it so well i don't mind the fact that it's somewhat derivative.

Borknagar - True North 

Is it better then Winter Thrice? Hm, after multiple spins these last weeks i would say equal. But somehow overall i enjoy this album more. ICS Vortex his vocals really carry the album, although i know not everyone is a fan of him. The black metal elements are almost totally gone this time around. But this is a good thing since Borknagar hasn't made a real album black metal since 1998.

Deathcult - Cult of the Goat 

Last one for today. Another great but underrated Norwegian black metal band. It took them 10 years to release their 2nd album but it was well worth wait. Great 2nd wave mid paced black metal with that typical icey treble sound from the 90's and lots of catchy riffs. Hoest from Taake plays bass in this band but i can't say his playing is extraordinary in any way. Still must have stuff for any black metal fan.

Darkthrone - Old Star

After the excellent "Artic Thunder" i hoped that Darkthrone was back on track. Old Star kind of continues where Artic Thunder left of, but somehow it sounds like a lesser version of the previous album. The riffs aren't as catchy and songs just go on too long, and Culto's voice is sounding more and more like an angry old man. Also hate the production which is just drenched in 80's reverb and Culto sounds like he's singing inside an empty hall. Doesn't really hold up on repeated spins, but at least the cover art looks sweet.

Darkthrone - Old Star
After the excellent "Artic Thunder" i hoped that Darkthrone was back on track. Old Star kind of continues where Artic Thunder left of, but somehow it sounds like a lesser version of the previous album. The riffs aren't as catchy and songs just go on too long, and Culto's voice is sounding more and more like an angry old man. Also hate the production which is just drenched in 80's reverb and Culto sounds like he's singing inside an empty hall. Doesn't really hold up on repeated spins, but at least the cover art looks sweet.

The Hardship of the Scots & Duke of Gloat go ok. The rest... meh.

12 hours ago, Benjaminc81 said:

Ozzy Osbourne - Speak of the Devil

A lot of Ozzy fans seem to despise this live album since it only contains Sabbath track. I say all the better since i never cared for Ozzy´s solo stuff. Great to hear decent live recordings of those classic Sabbath era songs when he still was able to perform them.

This is a great album, with brilliant guitar-work from Brad Gillies. I throw it on when I feel like a more modern (read 80s) edge to the classic Sabbath material. That's a really weird thing to write, but it just seems to work. 

11 hours ago, Benjaminc81 said:

Darkthrone - Old Star

I've called out modern Darkthrone a few times now, and don't want to over-egg the pudding, but I'm really unimpressed with the continued Darkthrone hype that just follows them around. 

Yes, their first 5 or 6 albums are brilliant, and I'm actually wearing a Darkthrone hoodie right now coincidentally, but they have put out so many 80s metal tribute albums since then that I'm surprised more people don't see them for what they are. They used to be purveyors and leaders (albeit with a bit of guidance), but now they're just content to emulate their 80s heroes. And poorly, at that. 

Their albums these days, including 'Old Star', are exactly what you'd expect from a couple of guys just plugging in and jamming for a few hours. There's no real thought in it, no real sense of musicality or even atmosphere. And yes, Ted is sounding rough these days, to put it mildly. 

I get it, there's still something evocative and appealing about these two guys and their Lemmy-style attitude. I haven't bought their last two albums, but I downloaded them on Apple Music. I'm still a sucker. They certainly walk the walk. But it's just that their songs are boring and largely forgettable. There's just so much better music out there. 

Such as: 

NP Mayhem - 'Daemon' 

12 hours ago, Requiem said:

This is a great album, with brilliant guitar-work from Brad Gillies. I throw it on when I feel like a more modern (read 80s) edge to the classic Sabbath material. That's a really weird thing to write, but it just seems to work. 

I've called out modern Darkthrone a few times now, and don't want to over-egg the pudding, but I'm really unimpressed with the continued Darkthrone hype that just follows them around. 

Yes, their first 5 or 6 albums are brilliant, and I'm actually wearing a Darkthrone hoodie right now coincidentally, but they have put out so many 80s metal tribute albums since then that I'm surprised more people don't see them for what they are. They used to be purveyors and leaders (albeit with a bit of guidance), but now they're just content to emulate their 80s heroes. And poorly, at that. 

Their albums these days, including 'Old Star', are exactly what you'd expect from a couple of guys just plugging in and jamming for a few hours. There's no real thought in it, no real sense of musicality or even atmosphere. And yes, Ted is sounding rough these days, to put it mildly. 

I get it, there's still something evocative and appealing about these two guys and their Lemmy-style attitude. I haven't bought their last two albums, but I downloaded them on Apple Music. I'm still a sucker. They certainly walk the walk. But it's just that their songs are boring and largely forgettable. There's just so much better music out there. 

Such as: 

NP Mayhem - 'Daemon' 

I of course still prefer the original Sabbath recordings over the Brad Gillis stuff. But it´s commendable how close he sticks to Iommi´s sound on those live recordings. He could have easily made them his own, but instead he pays hommage to Iommi and didn´t change a note.  I just there were more decent sound live recordings of the original Sabbath line up.  "Past Lives" is the only live album so far that actually sounds listenable when it comes to the Ozzy era.

As for Darkthrone i totally get what your saying. In the early days they were pioneers and they did some ground breaking stuff on those early releases. But nowadays they seem content on living off their well established name and just paying hommage to bands that have influenced them along the way. Nothing wrong with paying  hommage but stuff like "Old Star" sounds more like some second tier Celcic Frost record. It´s more blatant copying then really being inspired by their sound. But i noticed this has been a problem with most of their albums which were written by Culto. He just strings some riffs together without any real coherency. Fenriz his approach to writing on the other hand is much more professional. But above all i guess they are just content with their status within the scene and let´s be honest... It´s not like they have anything left to prove at this point.

I also bought the new Sarke album the other day with Culto on vocals. And i hate to say it but by this point i actually prefer the last two Sarke records over the last two Darkthrone records. Didn´t think i would ever feel that way.

Sarke - Viige Urh 

Just what the doctor described to get rid of that foul Darkthrone after taste. Sarke is probably more well known as the drummer in Khold and Tulus. But his solo project with Nocturno Culto on vocals is often overlooked. The earlier albums sounded a little like Motorhead tributes but with the last three albums they really found their niche. If you like your black metal with heavy doom and thrash metal influences and some more experimental elements (female vocals, subtle synthesizer use, choirs, etc) then is for you. Can't wait to receive their new album "Gastwerso" in the mail this week.

9 hours ago, Benjaminc81 said:

Sarke - Viige Urh 

Just what the doctor described to get rid of that foul Darkthrone after taste. Sarke is probably more well known as the drummer in Khold and Tulus. But his solo project with Nocturno Culto on vocals is often overlooked. The earlier albums sounded a little like Motorhead tributes but with the last three albums they really found their niche. If you like your black metal with heavy doom and thrash metal influences and some more experimental elements (female vocals, subtle synthesizer use, choirs, etc) then is for you. Can't wait to receive their new album "Gastwerso" in the mail this week.

I'll have to check this out. I have a couple of Khold albums and really enjoy them. I think I have 'Masterpiss of Pain' and 'Krek'. Not sure why I didn't pick up any others, but I really like that bouncy-riff-black thing they have going on. 

I just checked them out on Metal Archives and was surprised to learn that they have 6 albums out! 

But yeah, I'll have to check out Sarke as I can't recall their music. 

NP: Mayhem - 'Daemon'

I can't stop listening to this damn album. 

8 hours ago, Requiem said:

I'll have to check this out. I have a couple of Khold albums and really enjoy them. I think I have 'Masterpiss of Pain' and 'Krek'. Not sure why I didn't pick up any others, but I really like that bouncy-riff-black thing they have going on. 

I just checked them out on Metal Archives and was surprised to learn that they have 6 albums out!

Those two are good, and the two in between them are good too -- "Phantom" and "Morke Gravers Kammer". They kind of lost their charm for me after "Krek".