dream theater

916kaden

• 2 months later...

Dream Theater have never made my radar, largely out of me having no real interest sparked from what few tracks I had heard. Years ago when I was a kid I heard "Pull Me Under" and thought it was awesome, this led me to sample a couple of their other tracks but I was left disappointed and a bit cold by what I heard to be honest. I don't deny the technical capabilities of the group and acknowledge they can put a lengthy piece together but I always want the sound to be a little more epic than it usually turns out to be.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi. I love dream theater. my favorite would probably be Images and Words but A dramatic turn of events and Black clouds & linings are aamazing too. I dont really like Systematic chaos and train of thought though, but I still listen to them from time to time. In a general sense, dream theater is my main favorite prog metal band. Well, Imcurious to know now what are others's favorite albums by dream theater here

Big dream theater fan and have been listening to them since black clouds and silver linings. They were the band that started off the prog journey for me and ever since then I have stumbled across a lot of bands that I enjoy. When a dramatic turn of events came out I was blown away, I love everything about that album and it Is probably my favourite to this date :)

Big dream theater fan and have been listening to them since black clouds and silver linings. They were the band that started off the prog journey for me and ever since then I have stumbled across a lot of bands that I enjoy. When a dramatic turn of events came out I was blown away' date=' I love everything about that album and it Is probably my favourite to this date :)[/quote'] What are your least favorite Dream theater albums dude? Mine are systematic chaos and train of thought, I just cant stand them. I wonder if other DT fans are on the same boat as mine?

Re: dream theater

What are your least favorite Dream theater albums dude? Mine are systematic chaos and train of thought' date=' I just cant stand them. I wonder if other DT fans are on the same boat as mine?[/quote'] I enjoy all of them except for the first one without lames labrie, I'm not really a glam metal fan at all. I really liked Train of thought it was definitely their heaviest album and systematic chaos was great but not their best.

• 1 month later...

Re: dream theater Hi all, I'm really a big Dream Theater fan. In my opinion Metropolis 2 Scenes from a Memory is their best work, a real masterpiece. Their last albums maybe sound too similar, I think they need some change in their sound. But normally, when u listen some of their albums, u can be sure that's an album that nobody else could have done. Greetings. Enviado desde mi GT-N7000 mediante Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
I think I would like DT if they had a different singer and different drummer perhaps. Not saying they aren't good' date=' but I don't like labrie's voice and think portnoy's style is too technically oriented. If those two aspects were more appealing to me, I think I would like them as much as symphony x.[/quote'] Try then their 2 last albums, different drummer :-) , same singer though. Enviado desde mi GT-N7000 usando Tapatalk 4

I just can't get into this band' date=' it isn't that I think they're bad musicians and there isn't anything about their music that is offensive it's just that I find their songs to be un-necessarily long and rather boring[/quote'] This would be my beef with them. Pathosray are kind of like Dream Theater if DT didn't waste your time and instead just gave a lot of heavy riffs and impassioned prog. Maybe I need to revisit these guys, but as it stands I've heard plenty that grabbed and held my interest much more capably.

This would be my beef with them. Pathosray are kind of like Dream Theater if DT didn't waste your time and instead just gave a lot of heavy riffs and impassioned prog. Maybe I need to revisit these guys' date=' but as it stands I've heard plenty that grabbed and held my interest much more capably.[/quote'] Images and Words is a classic, not too needlessly showy, good songwriting and performances, easily their best IMO. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 years later...

Last year I stumbled upon an Images & Words CD and gave it a couple of spins. I think my problem with Dream Theater is they sound to dreamy and whimsical. The ballads especially are all glitter and elvish handsomeness. The heaviness sounds glued on and it all appears a bit dishonest. Pull Me Under is cool but I can find little else that sounds inspiring. The last track on the album had some cool parts that I think stood out but it's all buried in there somewhere.
I'm all for progressive music and I think Tool is a good Prog-Metal band but Dream Theater fails to convince me to like their songs, even with all their pro level musicianship and glittery dust.

Last year I stumbled upon an Images & Words CD and gave it a couple of spins. I think my problem with Dream Theater is they sound to dreamy and whimsical. The ballads especially are all glitter and elvish handsomeness. The heaviness sounds glued on and it all appears a bit dishonest. Pull Me Under is cool but I can find little else that sounds inspiring. The last track on the album had some cool parts that I think stood out but it's all buried in there somewhere.
I'm all for progressive music and I think Tool is a good Prog-Metal band but Dream Theater fails to convince me to like their songs, even with all their pro level musicianship and glittery dust.
I'm not a big fan of the band either, but Images and Words is solid. It's nowhere near the level of Queensryche, but it's something of a continuation of the sound they explored on Operation: Mindcrime. I don't know that "glittery" is the right word, but they aren't a very heavy band. That isn't really the point of their music, and I don't think it would benefit from having teeth. Their main failing is that they just get too self-indulgent and meander a lot, with the end result sounding a bit too fractured IMO.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I'm not a big fan of the band either, but Images and Words is solid. It's nowhere near the level of Queensryche, but it's something of a continuation of the sound they explored on Operation: Mindcrime. I don't know that "glittery" is the right word, but they aren't a very heavy band. That isn't really the point of their music, and I don't think it would benefit from having teeth. Their main failing is that they just get too self-indulgent and meander a lot, with the end result sounding a bit too fractured IMO.

I think I like Liquid Tension Experiment more than Dream Theater, honestly.