Favourite Vocalist

FreddyFruitcake

On 2017-5-5 at 4:41 AM, JadedErotika said:

My favorite vocalist is Dani Filth....He can scream and he can hit a lot of high notes...

He's one of my favourite vocalists too. I think his evocative lyrics contribute to my admiration for his vocals too. People throw a lot of shade at him, but I have to admit he has given me some great musical moments over the years. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is an old thread, hope I didn't already post in it. Anyway: Glenn Danzig, Ike Vil of Babylon Whores, Varg Vikernes (I know a lot of people hate his early style, but I actually love it, it's so extreme it sounds out of control, he doesn't just sound pissed, he sounds like he's in pain!), Peter Steele, David Bowie, will probably think of some one essential that I missed later on . . .

On 2017-6-14 at 9:22 AM, Parker said:

This is an old thread, hope I didn't already post in it. Anyway: Glenn Danzig, Ike Vil of Babylon Whores, Varg Vikernes (I know a lot of people hate his early style, but I actually love it, it's so extreme it sounds out of control, he doesn't just sound pissed, he sounds like he's in pain!), Peter Steele, David Bowie, will probably think of some one essential that I missed later on . . .

Really? I've never met anyone who doesn't like Varg's vocals on the first four Burzum albums. They're about as good as black metal vocals can get. Stunning in every way. 

4 minutes ago, Parker said:

You can be as sarcastic as you want, won't change my opinion. Oh, and Attila is another great vocalist, especially on De Mysteriis . . .   

I don't think there's even the trace of sarcasm in our posts about Varg. We both clearly love those vocals. How did you read sarcasm in what we said?

• 3 months later...

David Dubenic - lead for Dissona, a band that I hope become a prog-power institution. Deep, sonorous bass.

Robert Leger - kinda like a slightly smoother Hansi Kusch, perfectly suited to Solar Fragment and a powerful baritone.

Jonathan Grant Griffin of Lo-Ruhamah. He absolutely killed it on the band's latest album. You rarely come across a harsh vocalist who stands out, but Griffin can portray an impressive spectrum of emotions and textures with his growls and shrieks. I didn't care for "Anointing" on the first listen, but Griffin roared out a phenomenal performance.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, SenedeSwaere said:

Rainer Landfermann, Dave Hunt, Gaahl, Famine, Spellbound. Probably more that I simply forgot.

I heard (from Rainer himself, no less) that his solo album is in the mixing stages. The guitarist and drummer of Pavor are playing on it as well, I don't know if you're a fan of theirs, but he did say it would focus more on extreme vocals than on technical shredding. Fun times.

35 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I heard (from Rainer himself, no less) that his solo album is in the mixing stages. The guitarist and drummer of Pavor are playing on it as well, I don't know if you're a fan of theirs, but he did say it would focus more on extreme vocals than on technical shredding. Fun times.

Wow, that is absolutely amazing to hear! I know Pavor but I'm not as much a huge fan of their music as of Rainer's vocals. Do you know him personally?

3 minutes ago, SenedeSwaere said:

Wow, that is absolutely amazing to hear! I know Pavor but I'm not as much a huge fan of their music as of Rainer's vocals. Do you know him personally?

No, I got in contact with him through Pavor when I bought one of their CDs recently, and he mentioned the solo project while we were emailing - I just used his name so you'd know I heard it from a credible source. :)

6 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

No, I got in contact with him through Pavor when I bought one of their CDs recently, and he mentioned the solo project while we were emailing - I just used his name so you'd know I heard it from a credible source. :)

Haha, that's awesome! It's basically always like that when you buy things directly through the band, you get in contact with them and have a chat with them.

Did he mention the name of his solo project and/or when and how it will be released? Now that I know of it I'm so damn excited for it.

18 hours ago, SenedeSwaere said:

Haha, that's awesome! It's basically always like that when you buy things directly through the band, you get in contact with them and have a chat with them.

Did he mention the name of his solo project and/or when and how it will be released? Now that I know of it I'm so damn excited for it.

I don't know any details, unfortunately, but I'll post about it if I hear anything.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/11/2017 at 6:52 AM, SenedeSwaere said:

Rainer Landfermann, Dave Hunt, Gaahl, Famine, Spellbound. Probably more that I simply forgot.

On 16/10/2017 at 11:20 AM, Natassja7 said:

Hoest, Famine, Dead, Danzig, Wrath, Angelripper, Vikernes, Valfar, Lord Lokhraed, Kvarforth, Phil Anselmo, Tom Araya, Jeff Walker.

Who is this Famine you're all banging on about? I'm hungry to hear more.

Also Natassja, there are more fake names in your list than a brothel's customer registry. 

• 2 years later...

1. Dio - Dio pioneers heavy singing into metal, fronting 2 of the greatest metal bands of all in Black Sabbath and Dio - the self titled band. His voice, in my opinion, is unmatched and always brought an electrifying stage presence.

2. Axl Rose - The ever charismatic front men of metal legends Guns N Roses vocal ability is beyond and above the best in the business bar none. Known to have one of the largest vocal ranges at 6 octaves, his vocals are not only some of the best in metal but some of the best of all time. Furthermore, his on stage charisma and energy is able to match up to the fast and rebellious tones of the guns n roses music and guarantee to get the crowd buzzing. 

3. Ozzy Osbourne - My personal hero. Ozzy, whilst not known as possessing one of the best voices, is without a doubt one of the most significant pioneers in metal. Frontmen of the literal gods of metal Black Sabbath and having one of the most successful solo careers in all of music, Ozzy’s legacy and history is nothing to be laughed upon. There is no doubt the importance of Ozzy, and even at the ripe age of 71 is still touring and remains a must see act even to this day. 

4. Rob Halford - Another pioneer of heavy metal, and another Birmingham alumni like Mr Ozzy osbourne, Rob Halfords vocals are one of the best in the business. Rob can go from soulful, easy to the ear harmonies then to chest pumping roars of power within a click of the fingers. Rob Halfords voice is one of the most recognisable voices in metal, and is proven to be a hitter on any song it features on. 

5. Bruce Dickinson - The fourth vocalist of legends of metal Iron Maiden, Bruce Dickinson to this day is still one of the biggest and most talented vocalists in the world. Bruce’s vocals are instantly recognisable, as well as being very powerful. On top of all this, Bruce is the survivor of a cancer scare, and even performed around it!

Honourable Mentions -

(In No Particular Order) 

Corey Taylor - Slipknot/Stone Sour

Robert Plant - Led Zeppelin 

Sebastian Bach - Skid Row

Vince Neil - Motley Crue

David Draiman - Disturbed

Randy Blythe - Lamb of God

Kurt Cobain - Nirvana

Serj Tankian - System of a Down

Jonathan Davis - Korn

James Hetfield - Metallica 

Dave Mustaine - Megadeth

mod edit - merged with existing "Favourite Vocalists" thread.