Favourite Vocalist

FreddyFruitcake

Re: Favourite Vocalist

Alvestam is awesome. As far as death growls go, I think my favorites are Joel Thorpe of Aletheian (a remarkable range) and Stephane Pare of Quo Vadis (reliable brutality, and endurance...in Silence Calls the Storm he growls for 17 or so seconds straight). For my favorite female vocalists you can refer to the female vocals thread. I also really like Russell Allen, his voice works perfectly for Symphony X. It might be bombastic, but he seems to hurl passion and anger into all of the notes. Tommy Karevik of Seventh Wonder and Michael Eriksen of Circus Maximus are also very enthusiastic, although they can do moody and calm better than Allen. Whenever Allen sings, you can almost hear him saying "IMA FIRIN MAH LAZOR" before he starts up. Piet Sielck of Iron Savior is another one of those 'all or nothing' vocalists. He doesn't do much of anything below forte. Zak Stevens of Circle II Circle is a bit more refined, but he can still belt it out when he has to - one of my favorite bass voices in metal. Jarmo Pakkonen of Excalion falls in the same category and this guy is definitely underrated. He shows a lot of passion when he sings. Some are mainly calm but can summon enthusiasm when necessary. Daniel Estrin of Voyager and Silvio Massaro of Vanishing Point are like this. So is Andrew MacDermott of Threshold. I like this style of singing because it seems a bit more mature. However, to pick my two favorite vocalists I'd say Ray Alder of Redemption and Rain Irving, the new singer for While Heaven Wept. Both of them have contrary styles but they sing cleanly and enthusiastically.

I always prefer harsh to clean. I avoid clean as much as possible. Quo Vadis is amazing, quite a vocalist.
Stephane Pare destroys. :twisted: Probably my favorite death vocalist, tied with Joel Thorpe of Aletheian because Thorpe seems to have quite a range.

• 2 months later...

Re: Favourite Vocalist impossible for me to name just one so here's my five fave singers 1. Ronnie James Dio - Rainbow, Black Sabbath/Heaven and Hell, Dio 2. Rob Halford - Judas Priest, Halford 3. Bruce Dickinson - Iron Maiden 4. Joey Belladonna - Anthrax 5. Phil Anselmo - Pantera because he was amazing on the first album

Re: Favourite Vocalist I love Anders Friden personally... but if not him, Mikael Stanne, or Mikael Åkerfeldt, (In Flames, Dark Tranquillity and Opeth respectively) it'd have to be Antti Haapanen of Noumena. Man's a death growling legend. Also, in the top 5 I MUST include her, Angela Gossow. GREAT voice, and even better looks heh. If I were to talk about clean vocalists, Mikael Åkerfeldt is definitely at the top of the list, followed by Anders Friden... after that, most probably somebody like Tarja Turunen of Nightwish, and Heidi Parviainen of Amberian Dawn. (I like the operatic singers quite a bit)

• 2 weeks later...

... after that' date=' most probably somebody like Tarja Turunen of Nightwish, and Heidi Parviainen of Amberian Dawn. (I like the operatic singers quite a bit)[/quote'] Funny, that's the reason I never liked Amberian Dawn too much even though they're good. Still though, if you like operatic, you should check out Diablo Swing Orchestra. The woman who sings for them definitely looks like most opera singers.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Favourite Vocalist Here's my Top 10 Metal Folks 8-) 1. Ronnie James Dio - Ronnie and The Prophets, Elf,Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Dio & Heaven and Hell 2. Paul Di'Anno - Iron Maiden 3. Michael Kiske - Helloween 4. Klaus Meine - Scorpions 5. Tony Martin - Black Sabbath etc 6. Geoff Tate - Queensrÿche 7. Serj Tankian - System Of A Down 8. Dave Mustaine - Megadeth 9. James Hetfield - Metallica 10. Ian Gillan - Deep Purple / Black Sabbath

Re: Favourite Vocalist it's just that the death and black metal scenes don't appeal to me anymore, musically my interests have changed a great deal in the last two years, there are bands I used to like that now I wonder why I ever thought they were a good band, others that I just lost interest in, of the 50 or so bands that I used to like the only ones to survive were: AC/DC, Anthrax, Black Sabbath, Dio, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Megadeth, the first four Metallica albums, Motorhead, Pantera and Slayer, I axed bands including Cradle Of Filth, Children Of Bodom, Ozzy Osbourne, Three Inches Of Blood and Machine Head

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies