Metal Vs. . . . . . everything else

Zyggiefromjiu

They're fucking awesome. Though I still think Necromantia are better. As for the subject at hand my vote goes to [insert genre here]. I mean that is some seriously brutal shit right there. [insert genre here] is so intense it makes metal look like, look like, look lime some genre that isn't brutal and intense.

[insert genre here] is pretty impressive, but I honestly can't get into it, at least not the new stuff. Some of the early [insert bands here] had some great ideas, but all of the newer [insert genre] stuff is capitalizing on [insert musical feature here] without really [insert verb] the real essence of [genre]. Overuse of [some technique or other] is an [obscure adjective] example of what I mean, though [insert band] has made good use of [whatever]. Bottom line, I'm really open minded, but I hate [pretty much everything]. :D

I really can't get into anything post-Triarchy' date=' it's like a different band almost. Wasn't too impressed live either... a shame because they were one of my favorites as a teenager. This is way cooler than talking about metalcore... :D[/quote'] Have you tried Theogonia? Damn fine album from them, probably the most black metal album they've done since the old days, but still with some gothic elements, and even some Greek folk influences. Hoping they play some of that live... Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• 5 months later...
Have you tried Theogonia? Damn fine album from them, probably the most black metal album they've done since the old days, but still with some gothic elements, and even some Greek folk influences. Hoping they play some of that live... Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
brilliant album, was the first one I heard from them and still remains my favorite. When I was very young I remember there being just a straight up blood feud between the metal and core scenes, all sorts of fights breaking out at shows that had metal and core bands sharing a bill. I'll never forget being at the first Summer Slaughter tour in Atlanta, watching the frontman for Cattle Decapitation blast the kids hardcore dancing and saying something along the lines of "you see these pricks karate kicking yall know what to do", then subsequently a kid ended up getting a beer bottle smashed on his head after kicking this guy in the back. I was a kid so I got a little wrapped up in that militant bs just to feel like I was fighting for something I guess haha but as I grew up and chilled out I definitely learned how to appreciate music from these genres, long as its done well. The main appeal I can usually find in any core music is the outward passion or emotionality, I'll take a band with real feeling to their music over a technical clinic any day. Job for a Cowboy's first EP was great, and it was cool to see their progression into more serious and proficient death metal over their next couple albums. My favorite core genre is definitely grindcore though, combining the psychotic precision and furious rage into something just otherworldly.

I mean I enjoy some August Burns Red and As I Lay Dying every once in a while when it comes to metalcore... I don't know much hardcore but from what I heard It's okay. I definitely enjoy metal much more, but it's nice to switch it up every once in a while. I do like a lot of grindcore though. You can really hear a lot of death metal influence in a lot of the grindcore that I listen to.

I mean I enjoy some August Burns Red and As I Lay Dying every once in a while when it comes to metalcore... I don't know much hardcore but from what I heard It's okay. I definitely enjoy metal much more, but it's nice to switch it up every once in a while. I do like a lot of grindcore though. You can really hear a lot of death metal influence in a lot of the grindcore that I listen to.
The influence goes both ways throughout most of both genre's histories. Punk and metal have been mixed in many different ways and influenced each other all over the spectrum.

In Oz we still have some fights between metal and punk fans at shared bills. A friend of mine just posted a photo on facebook of the staples in his head as a result of being jumped at a local punk gig because he "looked metal".
We had a shooting at a hardcore show here a few weeks ago. A couple of guys got in a fight over something, so one of the guys went to his car, grabbed his gun, and shot the other. Fucking idiots.

• 1 year later...

Everything has it's place, and I mean every genre has a place. If it makes a sound, SOMEONE will enjoy it, even if you don't enjoy it or think it isn't technical enough, don't declare it the worst and brag that your taste in music is more refined. You just come off as a snooty, high horse riding bitch. Also, keep an open mind and listen to more than the first 5 seconds of a song. While I have your attention, don't just declare a song terrible when the only thing you know about it is it's genre. 

Everything has it's place, and I mean every genre has a place. If it makes a sound, SOMEONE will enjoy it, even if you don't enjoy it or think it isn't technical enough, don't declare it the worst and brag that your taste in music is more refined. You just come off as a snooty, high horse riding bitch. Also, keep an open mind and listen to more than the first 5 seconds of a song. While I have your attention, don't just declare a song terrible when the only thing you know about it is it's genre. 

I think that the biggest problem, by and large, is that genres are represented by the music media as extensions of the pop garbage acts that dumb down the sound of said genre until it's an almost unrecognizable pastiche of that genre's worst elements and pop dogshit. People think hip-hop sucks because they hear Lil Wayne on the radio, not A Tribe Called Quest. People think punk sucks because they hear Blink 182 on the radio, not Dead Kennedy's. People think heavy metal sucks because they hear Avenged Sevenfold on the radio, not Manilla Road. There is good stuff to be found in most every genre, but that's exactly the problem, you usually have to go and find it. Most music consumers are not music fans, that shallow easy to digest pap is what they want to hear, and since they're in the majority, that's what gets sold. Depth of music requires depth of thought and emotion to appreciate, and let's face it, most people just don't have what it takes to even make their own decisions, let alone analyze and decipher the thoughts and feelings of others through a sonic medium.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk