Worst drummer?

Caedere

Re: Worst drummer? i think punk rock is my least favourite genre in the whole world, anything to do with punk i dislike, especially that pop punk bullshit that all the scene kids listen to nowadays, i can't stand it :L . . . most of the band have good drummers though, it's just wrong to say they are even close to the best

Re: Worst drummer?

i think punk rock is my least favourite genre in the whole world' date=' anything to do with punk i dislike, especially that pop punk bullshit that all the scene kids listen to nowadays, i can't stand it :L . . . most of the band have good drummers though, it's just wrong to say they are even close to the best[/quote'] I really like punk and punk rock but pop/punk sucks serious uncle fester balls! it's just so bad D: he sure has had his share of golden days but what he did back in the 80's is just so great.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Re: Worst drummer? John T Bloom from the Guinea Pig Poo Machine, couldn't keep time, the band sucked, the name sucked - they were named after small rodents - how lame is that? Guinea pigs who built a machine that ran on their own faeces - that's just wrong on so many levels - they are meant to eat it, not build machines with it. It's like skynet all over again. Guinea pigs out to kill sarah connor - she's had enough, gal needs a break, not dealing with crazy guinea pig weaponary

Re: Worst drummer?

Leprosy is from before they were prog. I also think it's a bit overrated' date=' most people call it Death's high water mark, but I think it's one of their weakest albums. And yes, Cannibal Corpse's drumming is one of the things that makes them boring as shit.[/quote'] Err...I'm talking about the Norse nitwits who showed up at ProgPower a few years ago. :? The band Leprosy.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

The worst drum performance I've ever heard from a signed band on album is unfortunately Jonas Renkse of Katatonia on the 'Dance of December Souls' album. The quietest drum mix I've ever heard by a signed band is Ulver's 'Nattens Madrigal' album. You know these albums, now listen to them again with this in mind. You're welcome.

This is a super easy question. I think nobody can outdo Venom's Abbadon at being the worst drummer ever in metal...

Some drummers play simple patterns that never stray from the basics, but at least they are good at keeping pace.

Some other drummers suck big time because they can't keep the pace steady no matter how easy the pattern and the rhythm are!

Sometimes drummers who are able to pull some decent and fairly articulate fills have a hard time with the steady 4/4 of AC/DC kind of hard rock and roll...

...but Abbadon is the worst of them all... he can't do ANYTHING. He skips beats, he changes pace, he does not come up with interesting fills... And he does all that in the studio too! I love Venom and I would not want their songs to be played ON TIME, but certainly Abaddon's legacy is an insult to drummers! :D 

Lars is certainly not a "natural", but he was/is ingenious, creative and full of energy. I think he deserves credit for that.

I love Dave Holland's steady beats and I think he is criminally underrated. I think his drumming fitted the Priest's 80's records just nice. Beware because if you are only familiar with the remastered editions of the Priest catalogue then you are missing out on many of his bass drum and cymbals fills. Of course those who came before him (specifically Simon Philips and Les Binks) and after him (Scott Travis) are monsters, so it's kinda easy to downplay his contribution, but in his prime he was definitely a solid powerhouse drummer.

I think Simon Wright is a shitty drummer. Not so much when he was with AC/DC, but try to listen carefully to his drumming on the Dio LP "Lock Up The Wolves". That's some downright unoriginal, dumb drumming. The comparison to his predecessor, Sir Vinny Appice, KILLS him. I like "Lock up the Wolves", but his drumming is a real let down... especially considering how great Vinny's style is.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies