Slipknot

freddurst'smainman

Until 1:36 it kind of had a chance. The beginning riff was nice and subdued but I strongly suspect that's a result of laziness rather than an artistic decision. The next riff is fine, but nothing special. Of course, considering what I was expecting it sounded great. But that's not really a compliment. And then the clean vocals come in and start ruining things. 4:10 is another sucky part...badly used legato.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well' date=' if my families reaction to metal is anything to go by, it just goes to show how sheerly subjective music is to the individual.[/quote'] That's entirely the point of a band like Slipknot, to appear menacing enough to satiate the need of teenagers to distance themselves from their parents by listening to music that appears to be "scary", but the music itself is still just tame enough pop music at its roots that it can still reel in all of those fans. I don't give two shits about how metal appears, it's music, so all I care about is how it sounds, but when a band like Slipknot spends all of their time focusing on their image, their music suffers because it comes second. It's really just a vehicle to deliver their angsty message of "anger and rebellion" that confused kids latch on to, like it's a tit delivering mothers milk. If you peel back those half assed sped up Korn riffs, you'll hear the same pop chorus as any song on the radio, despite appearing to be "darker" because of their masks and "troubled" lyrics. It's image over substance, and at the end of the day, regardless of what it is, the better of the two will always be substance.

It's really just a vehicle to deliver their angsty message of "anger and rebellion" that confused kids latch on to' date=' like it's a tit delivering mothers milk.[/quote'] I don't know, I'd say a healthy bosom is much more enthralling than these guys any day of the week...

I don't know' date=' I'd say a healthy bosom is much more enthralling than these guys any day of the week...[/quote'] Iceni, I'm proud of you. I think that was the first pro-boob statement that you've ever made here, and it was awesome. I don't think that you've ever made any anti-boob statements, you are usually just neutral and/or dodge the issue, so this was uplifting to see.

@ Blut - I never had to rebel against my parents. They couldn't give two hoots that I listen to metal, they just don't like it :) ! @ Murph - To be perfectly honest, I'll admit their are a lot better bands out there than Slipknot etc. Though I do like their music quite a lot I am discovering new bands all the time and they tend to be better. Still, the one good thing about metalcore is that it was if nothing else a way into metal and I think it serves that purpose for many as it is the only guitar heavy music even half-acknowledged on mainstream media.

Re: Slipknot

@ Blut - I never had to rebel against my parents. They couldn't give two hoots that I listen to metal, they just don't like it :) ! @ Murph - To be perfectly honest, I'll admit their are a lot better bands out there than Slipknot etc. Though I do like their music quite a lot I am discovering new bands all the time and they tend to be better. Still, the one good thing about metalcore is that it was if nothing else a way into metal and I think it serves that purpose for many as it is the only guitar heavy music even half-acknowledged on mainstream media.
This is a justification I used to abhor, until I realized that it has proven true on more than one occasion. I never liked Slipknot, but my gateways into metal were still bad, so I can't really argue with that. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

and what were those gateway bands Blut? for me it was Pantera and Metallica but I must admit I did briefly flirt with metalcore before deciding it wasn't what I was looking for and diving straight back into more extreme metal (well extreme at the time I didn't know much about black or death metal so the bands I did have were more accessible then what I have now)

Re: Slipknot When I was a kid, I hated music because all that I had ever heard from my friends and family was pop country, and 80's/90's pop. When I was a teenager, my friends listened to pop/punk, so I latched onto that until I heard harder radio rock like Godsmack and Powerman 5000. My girlfriend's step mom (at the time, of course) liked Metallica and got me turned on to them, and then Shadows Fall, Children of Bodom, and Dimmu Borgir were my first harsh vocal bands. Don't listen to Shadows Fall anymore (about as close to metalcore as I got), but I still listen to CoB and Dimmu infrequently, and I trashed that Godsmack type stuff a long time ago. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Slipknot The problem with growing up in an area like Utah where metal isn't looked upon well is that it gets no exposure. I wanted something heavier and heavier all the time, but since that's as hard as the radio would go, it was the best that I had. I got into thrash and old school metal from Metallica, and then my guitar teacher at the time showed me a bunch of other stuff from that time. He was a roadie/touring member of Hallows Eve, and burned me CDs from a lot of the bands that they had toured with. It was the internet that led me to more extreme stuff though, with satellite radio being my first exposure to CoB and Dimmu, and the internet being my research tool. I read endlessly about the history of metal and all of the places it had gone, using filesharing software to check out songs from bands like Death, Celtic Frost, Stormtroopers of Death, Voivod, Darkthrone, Gorgoroth, etc... before buying their albums. I worked at Media Play at the time, and my employee discount really helped with this, as I got 40% off of my music purchases. I also started working for Tease N Keys around that time, a store that sold head shop stuff, stickers and posters, fantasy figures, and most importantly, metal. I got heavily into black metal there, and the boss would let me take stuff home whenever I wanted. All I had to do was write it on the back of my time card and he would deduct it from my check, so needless to say, I didn't make much money. I was the one playing all of these bands for my friends, I didn't have any radio stations, older brothers, or other friends to show me the way. When I did find the "scene" here, they did help, but since at that time we had 5 metal stores in town (Tease N Keys, his new shop Metal Mayhem, The Abyss, The Heavy Metal Shop, and The End Records) and now only have one, which barely sells metal anymore, times have definitely changed. Almost all of the recommendations that I get are online via forums like this one, and I am eternally grateful for that, which is why I try to pass on recommendations of my own whenever I can. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

A gateway band is only useful if one goes through the gates...

Iceni' date=' I'm proud of you. I think that was the first pro-boob statement that you've ever made here, and it was awesome. I don't think that you've ever made any anti-boob statements, you are usually just neutral and/or dodge the issue, so this was uplifting to see.[/quote'] I was worried about potential interviewers looking over my post history here. It also didn't seem an appropriate subject. Well, now you know. I'd love to get married sometime but it is ludicrously difficult to find a young woman who is attractive, nice and interesting/intelligent...let alone one who would be even remotely interested in keeping company with the likes of me.

Re: Slipknot Good looking women are everywhere, but finding one that is compatible on a personal level is much more difficult. I got lucky that it happened early for me, and even though she doesn't share much of my taste, our outlooks on most things are very well aligned. It happens for everyone, just at different times, be patient. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

you'd be surprised Iceni' date=' it's just a matter of getting yourself out there, chat with people in your classes or whatever[/quote'] That's the thing...generally most of the attractive young women in my classes are either remarkably shallow or downright frightening. I suppose I shouldn't complain since I haven't even found anyone that I'm interested in here at Georgetown anyway, but it does certainly seem depressing at times. Very well...I'll wait till Riza Hawkeye is in town! icon_e_biggrin.gif On topic: Before I Forget sucks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...