Slipknot

freddurst'smainman

Congratulations Maggot you have successfully provided further evidence to support my previous statement. It should come as no surprise that, given the plethora of metal forums out there, some will be more sparcely populated then others. Perhaps you should be asking yourself why a dozen people frequent metal forum and a further dozen post sporadically. Surely if this forum was as unwelcoming and aggressive as you claim no one would bother and BAN would stand watch over a desolate land devoid of all life?
His butt was obviously too hurt to sit at his computer to post hypocritical bullshit any farther. Even in his fantasy world where he could wield the "badass" title of "metalhead" by listening to pallid radio rock, not everyone is going to like his favorite band. Maybe if his opinion was his own and not just a conformist security blanket so that he could have his identity provided by others, he could deal with the fact that not everyone likes the same things, but that appears not to be the case.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
That's entirely the point of a band like Slipknot' date=' to appear menacing enough to satiate the need of teenagers to distance themselves from their parents by listening to music that appears to be "scary", but the music itself is still just tame enough pop music at its roots that it can still reel in all of those fans. I don't give two shits about how metal appears, it's music, so all I care about is how it sounds, but when a band like Slipknot spends all of their time focusing on their image, their music suffers because it comes second. It's really just a vehicle to deliver their angsty message of "anger and rebellion" that confused kids latch on to, like it's a tit delivering mothers milk. If you peel back those half assed sped up Korn riffs, you'll hear the same pop chorus as any song on the radio, despite appearing to be "darker" because of their masks and "troubled" lyrics. It's image over substance, and at the end of the day, regardless of what it is, the better of the two will always be substance.[/quote'] I definitely agree with this to some extent. Whilst I'm not cynical enough to suggest that's the 'entire reason' bands like Slipknot exist (I don't think anyone's really qualified to presume much about any band/artist's intentions), I definitely think a pretty significant portion of their teenage fan-base are more in it for the image it gives them to people outside metal culture than for the music. Having said that, despite also enjoying a modest variety of more 'authentic' metal and other music, I am a fan of Slipknot. I think Corey Taylor's an extremely talented vocalist (though I get why it's not to the taste of many here), I enjoy the straight-forward aggression and simplicity of the music (though, again, I do understand where the 'juvenile' accusations come from), and I appreciate a good pop hook if it's done well. And yes, I am someone who enjoys their image as well. I'm actually seeing them live later this month with Korn and King 810 (can't you just feel that suburban teen angst already?), and I've heard Slipknot are visually an absolute spectacle live, so I'm honestly really excited. People rave about Alice Cooper, but in all honesty, his music ain't that great. So, there's nothing wrong with appreciating an artist partially or predominantly for the imagery and aesthetics, so long as you acknowledge that's what you're doing. I'm not a fan of Ghost B.C. on record, but the next time they play around these parts, I'm getting in on that shit.

I definitely agree with this to some extent. Whilst I'm not cynical enough to suggest that's the 'entire reason' bands like Slipknot exist (I don't think anyone's really qualified to presume much about any band/artist's intentions), I definitely think a pretty significant portion of their teenage fan-base are more in it for the image it gives them to people outside metal culture than for the music. Having said that, despite also enjoying a modest variety of more 'authentic' metal and other music, I am a fan of Slipknot. I think Corey Taylor's an extremely talented vocalist (though I get why it's not to the taste of many here), I enjoy the straight-forward aggression and simplicity of the music (though, again, I do understand where the 'juvenile' accusations come from), and I appreciate a good pop hook if it's done well. And yes, I am someone who enjoys their image as well. I'm actually seeing them live later this month with Korn and King 810 (can't you just feel that suburban teen angst already?), and I've heard Slipknot are visually an absolute spectacle live, so I'm honestly really excited. People rave about Alice Cooper, but in all honesty, his music ain't that great. So, there's nothing wrong with appreciating an artist partially or predominantly for the imagery and aesthetics, so long as you acknowledge that's what you're doing. I'm not a fan of Ghost B.C. on record, but the next time they play around these parts, I'm getting in on that shit.
Of course I could never say for certain, but mixing the most banal elements of whatever genre you're claiming to come from with easy pop structures and hooks is never a good sign. This is not to say that bands can't be pop influenced and not retain integrity, but it does take digging deeper than just the surface level. Combined with their obvious image related marketing, I can't really see another way to look at it. That might work for some styles, but metal isn't about just checking the right boxes and doing the bare minimum, though neither is being metal a hallmark for quality in and of itself by any means. Still though, as I've said before, like them if you want. Your enjoyment of them or lack thereof has nothing to do with me, and is not necessarily something I would want to take away, it's just my observation. I just don't agree with marketing tactics that misrepresent any kind of product, musical or otherwise, and find that it often only achieves sullying the name of any legitimate product on the market. Slipknot is to metal as McDonald's is to hamburgers, as Budweiser is to beer, as Adam Sandler is to comedy movies, etc...

• 6 months later...

I wouldn't say that the reason most people are passionate followers of Slipknot, albeit most of them teenagers due to the time at which the band was founded and the space between then and now, because, it gives them independence outside of Metal, so that they may flaunt there interests in people's faces and whenever there are any conflicting comments to their views they, buckle and leap on the accuser, this is not the case. I myself am the only fan of Slipknot in a relatively huge area, and many people did not know that before they were bought up in general conversation, which goes to show although Slipknot are considered to be a band that people either hate or love, there are followers, and due to the nature of my previous statement, they will not be seeing the need to use their socially considered 'unusual' interests as a shield to any comments targeted against them, and saying that they are being targeted for their interests, for such people that love Slipknot so, again this is not the case. As for the structure of Slipknot's music, and people claiming it to be derived from primitive concepts of music and structure patterns, it may bare resemblance to the format of popular songs outside of Metal, but that doesn't mean they are doing it just for the money, as above, it is stated that marketing ploys are being used to heighten the band's following, I assume you mean their trademark masks as a prime example. And also, the musical structure of Slipknot's music is seen all over Metal, and the accusation that they use hooks in the music by using stimulating riffs patterns is unjust as it is clear from the background of the likes of Corey Taylor and the rest of the band in terms of music, they most certainly know what they are doing

Blut, myself, and others have thrashed this out ad naseum. It doesn't merit discussing at this point. It's nice to see a slipknot fan who doesn't respond with personal attacks and nonsensical remarks about how their beloved band is the future of music and everyone who doesn't like them is close-minded. Having said that slipknot's music seems to be constructed with one idea in mind. Metal is not the forefront of their sound (in fact I actually don't hear any metal whenever slipknot songs come up) the band seem to be a blend of pop-rock, hip hop, and pop. Any metal which does lie in their sound dwells very much in the background. Their image is garnered towards commercial appeal as well. Their marketing strategy works for them. slipknot are extremely successful commercially. They attract mostly transient fans however. People who don't explore the metal genre much like those attracted to melodic metalcore. Ultimately these fans move on but the sound those bands craft ensures fan turnover isn't much of an issue.

Just gone totally against the point of this thread...good thing I'm a mod.

Metal is not the forefront of their sound (in fact I actually don't hear any metal whenever slipknot songs come up) the band seem to be a blend of pop-rock, hip hop, and pop. Any metal which does lie in their sound dwells very much in the background. Their image is garnered towards commercial appeal as well. Their marketing strategy works for them. slipknot are extremely successful commercially.

Thats all true. But you cant say theyre not unique in what they do. Sure you can give me bands that shocked before them, that wore masks, that jumped around the stage like lunatics, that had such combination of sounds, but still there is something about them that as a whole you cant find in another band. Thats why its hard to put a genre on them. Its not metal, its not just rock, it certainly isnt just pop or anything else. They use what they want when they want to. And i think that people that are so used to characterizing everything, putting groups, music and people in boxes, and are so used to limitations and order, cant seem to enjoy such things (of course there is the whole personal musical preference thing as well). Certain metalheads can only stick to their own genres, other like a mix up but it cant stand out too much, it mustnt prevail over the original pattern, and then some just dont care how the music is made, as long as they like it. Order and limitations work great for some people, for some it does not.

I personally like Slipknot, but dont bother to box them up in a certain genre or analyze them on how much effort is put in to a certain song. Corey is a good vocalist, he is not a metal vocalist, but noone can say that the guy doesnt know how to sing or scream. I think theyre all perfectly capable musicians and they just do exactly what they want to do. Its rare to find a band that has its completely own sound, and if you like it or not, Slipknot did just that.

I actually find their sound highly formulaic. Each element is used exactly where you expect it to be once you've gotten a feel for the band. I don't like them because I actually find their music boring. I disagree that few bands have a sound all their own however. I can thing of many bands who sound unique - Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Candlemass, My Dying Bride, Morbid Angel, Nile, Obituary, Melechesh, Absu, Bathory, Artillery, Dark Angel, Overkill all fall under various subgenres but all sound unique.

Thats all true. But you cant say theyre not unique in what they do. Sure you can give me bands that shocked before them, that wore masks, that jumped around the stage like lunatics, that had such combination of sounds, but still there is something about them that as a whole you cant find in another band. Thats why its hard to put a genre on them. Its not metal, its not just rock, it certainly isnt just pop or anything else. They use what they want when they want to. And i think that people that are so used to characterizing everything, putting groups, music and people in boxes, and are so used to limitations and order, cant seem to enjoy such things (of course there is the whole personal musical preference thing as well). Certain metalheads can only stick to their own genres, other like a mix up but it cant stand out too much, it mustnt prevail over the original pattern, and then some just dont care how the music is made, as long as they like it. Order and limitations work great for some people, for some it does not.

I personally like Slipknot, but dont bother to box them up in a certain genre or analyze them on how much effort is put in to a certain song. Corey is a good vocalist, he is not a metal vocalist, but noone can say that the guy doesnt know how to sing or scream. I think theyre all perfectly capable musicians and they just do exactly what they want to do. Its rare to find a band that has its completely own sound, and if you like it or not, Slipknot did just that.

Nothing they do is particularly unique though, all of the paths that they tread have been explored by previous nu-metal bands (Korn and Machine Head being their most obvious inspiration), and you can't say that they were the only ones combining those influences either, as bands like Mushroomhead and Mudvayne emerged around the same time with similar sounds and aesthetics (but admittedly with better musicianship and songwriting in Mudvayne's case). It was hot and trendy, and they capitalized on that, as is evidenced by their progression from their groove/death/thrash roots as Modifidious to what they became when they decided to adopt the masks and outfits. It's the gimmick that sells the music, not the other way around, which is why the music has continued to pander to that crowd throughout their existence. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Really, each element is where you expect it to be? : D if i didnt read the thread, id say you did a lot of Slipknot listening. :D And you counted some classic bands, out of millions of bands, this is still a very small number.. :))

I would gladly list each and every band in my collection, none sound like any other band, but I am far too lazy to type out 400+ different band names. I have done quite a bit of slipknot listening through my early teens. Part of exploring genres without a guide I suppose. Also listened to quite a bit of melodic metalcore for a time. That is why I made the remark that slipknot do everything to a very organised formula. It's not something unique to them - many progressive and technical bands follow formulas as well but the results tend to be much more interesting.

• 1 month later...

I would gladly list each and every band in my collection, none sound like any other band, but I am far too lazy to type out 400+ different band names. I have done quite a bit of slipknot listening through my early teens. Part of exploring genres without a guide I suppose. Also listened to quite a bit of melodic metalcore for a time. That is why I made the remark that slipknot do everything to a very organised formula. It's not something unique to them - many progressive and technical bands follow formulas as well but the results tend to be much more interesting.

In an interview with Corey Taylor which I have watched on YouTube Corey states that they just do whatever they feel like doing .... as a person from the audience asked him about recording such a huge band (in terms of members). He starts to give the example of Clown and the other Dude with the long-nosed-mask going nuts and add whatever they just feel like at the time when they start recording. It sort of sounds like maybe a part of Slipknot does seem to not exactly follow an organized formula. Which I can totally see being the case with Slipknot... these guys are pretty seriously involved into their roles as individuals. I wouldn't be surprised if they in fact don't even have a real formula.

In my band for example when we start recording... we just come up with guitar parts, then the drums, then the bass and the vocals. Like some form of order in which it gets executed... but structure wise.... it is a total "surprise me"-situation. Just go for what we grow... sort of.

Of course he's going to say that though. Why is a member of slipknot going to admit their every note is tailored towards appealing to a largely transient audience? Much like killswitch engage or the black dahlia murder they have to look and act a certain way to sustain perception of them and their appeal. There's a reason most of their fans are teenagers and the band is despised by so many metal fans. Not just disliked and that's an end of it but there is actual hatred for bands like slipknot and korn.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...