Slipknot

freddurst'smainman

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I am shocked by how many people hate slipknot on here. Maybe im biased cause i grew up listening to them and ive seen them live, they are in my opinion AMAZING both live and on cd. I know their not everyones fav metal band and thats cool,. I just dont get why people hate on slipknot when theres far worse out there ..in 4 words.. every pop band EVER. Regardless what anyone says no one will be as bad as those little murderers of music.

I get your point but people put labels on everything in life, especially when it comes to music. more so music they are not familiar with. And because slipknot are mainstream its easy to blame them with stereotyping a genre. Not all slipknot songs are about endlessly screming lyrics, and even if they were, so what?? Theres nothing wrong with diversifiing lyrical expression. Everyone stereotypes one thing or another, thats life

Re: Slipknot

I am shocked by how many people hate slipknot on here. Maybe im biased cause i grew up listening to them and ive seen them live' date=' they are in my opinion AMAZING both live and on cd. I know their not everyones fav metal band and thats cool,. I just dont get why people hate on slipknot when theres far worse out there ..in 4 words.. every pop band EVER. Regardless what anyone says no one will be as bad as those little murderers of music.[/quote'] That's where I disagree, because Slipknot are every bit the pop music act as Britney Spears, pandering to the masses in the very same way, just to the opposite side. Disenfranchised angry teenagers flock to them the same way horny pre-teen girls flock to Justin Timberlake, and that is absolutely their intent, but the difference is that they're masquerading as a metal band. Most pop acts acknowledge that they are just that, Slipknot is worse because they pretend to be something else. They water down lowest common denominator "metal" riffs, speed them up and mix them with cheap imitation death metal techniques, and pose in their "scary" masks to sell their image to Hot Topic shoppers. Junk. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Ive never understood this disdain that people have for bands that are popular within the mainstream. Just because a band is well liked doesnt mean that they have sold out in any way. In my opinion if a band writes original material by themselves and play their own instruments on stage then they get a basic level of respect from me. They may not be innovaters in terms of their instumental style but theres more to them, like the depth and relevance of their lyrics, there energy of stage etc. Not liking a band is a matter of taste, i dont expect everyone to conform to mine but i think its unfair to compare them to someone like justin timberlake whose entire "artistic style" is a product of music boss executives, while slipknots lyrics for example are the product of personal experiance and pain. Its hard to criticise them when doing so, indirectly criticises the point of view and experiance of an individual. And as for them posing in these scary masks, i dont see what the big deal is, its just a stylistic choice not a attempt to sell out. Some people said that metallica sold out when they made their first music video and i think such claims are ridiculous. Slipknots style has not been tailored to the masses simply appropiated by them, as a means of expression. Something which all teenagers do one way or another.

Slipknot are not really better than these pop bands. It is every bit as annoying having some gauged-ear skinny-jean-wearing scene kid twit pretend he's in the same league as the lanky, miserable, quiet, and socially inept yet thoughtful nihilist who listens to Decapitated and Ulcerate as it is being musically badgered by any number of spike-heel-sporting high school alcoholics who listen to Ke$ha. It's a different flavor of evil, of the same intensity. Slipknot's style is definitely tailored. Aside from Jordison, who is perhaps the only member of the band to put any passion or technical adroitness into what he does, Slipknot is a pathetically inept attempt at death metal. Mainstream success is not an indicator of talent or lack thereof. However, with regards to Slipknot, the presence of poorly executed shout vocals, weak and boring riffs, coupled with bland song composition, should surely demonstrate that regardless of whatever acclaim they receive they do not deserve an ounce of it.

everything about Slipknot is tailored to commercial appeal from their comical appearance to their watered-down music to their inoffensive lyrics. as Iceni said the only member of the band who deserves even a miniscule amount of respect is Jordison who should leave the band and get involved with a proper metal band or project. Slipknot don't play original music for the record they are playing only the most basic elements of riffs and solos which have already been written by far better bands and this is why among the metal community at large Slipknot, bullet for my valentine, trivium, bring me the horizon, killswitch engage and the like are despised, even the most generic power or thrash metal bands warrant more respect then these bands who claim to be outsiders making outsider music whilst seeking nought save mass consumption of their inferior product.

Ive never understood this disdain that people have for bands that are popular within the mainstream. Just because a band is well liked doesnt mean that they have sold out in any way. In my opinion if a band writes original material by themselves and play their own instruments on stage then they get a basic level of respect from me. They may not be innovaters in terms of their instumental style but theres more to them' date=' like the depth and relevance of their lyrics, there energy of stage etc. Not liking a band is a matter of taste, i dont expect everyone to conform to mine but i think its unfair to compare them to someone like justin timberlake whose entire "artistic style" is a product of music boss executives, while slipknots lyrics for example are the product of personal experiance and pain. Its hard to criticise them when doing so, indirectly criticises the point of view and experiance of an individual. And as for them posing in these scary masks, i dont see what the big deal is, its just a stylistic choice not a attempt to sell out. Some people said that metallica sold out when they made their first music video and i think such claims are ridiculous. Slipknots style has not been tailored to the masses simply appropiated by them, as a means of expression. Something which all teenagers do one way or another.[/quote'] I'm with you, theinkedzombie, but there are a lot of strong feelings on this, especially in the against column. Btw, I really dig Slipknot's lyrics too, especially sulfur and snuff.

everything about Slipknot is tailored to commercial appeal from their comical appearance to their watered-down music to their inoffensive lyrics. as Iceni said the only member of the band who deserves even a miniscule amount of respect is Jordison who should leave the band and get involved with a proper metal band or project. Slipknot don't play original music for the record they are playing only the most basic elements of riffs and solos which have already been written by far better bands and this is why among the metal community at large Slipknot' date=' bullet for my valentine, trivium, bring me the horizon, killswitch engage and the like are despised, even the most generic power or thrash metal bands warrant more respect then these bands who claim to be outsiders making outsider music whilst seeking nought save mass consumption of their inferior product.[/quote'] I dont think that bands such as slipknot and others that youve mentioned claim to be anything. They claim no labels for themselves, yet there are many that are thrust upon them. In my opinion its a losing battle, if a band achieves success, especially in the metal community, they are ridiculed as sell outs and generic trash, yet those same people who voice their distaste for their commercial appeal, are the same people who drone on and on about how their favourite underground bands have little opportunity to achieve greater success in the music industry. Its a simple case of jelousy masquerading as a poorly claimed superior taste in music And in all honesty i have no idea where you get this idea that bands such as slipknot are despised by the metal community, i have yet to meet one metalhead who doesnt enjoy having a good headbang to a slipknot song, and where i live, there is a huge metal subculture, so i think i have a pretty good idea about the general consensus on slipknots music and brand.

I'm with you' date=' theinkedzombie, but there are a lot of strong feelings on this, especially in the against column. Btw, I really dig Slipknot's lyrics too, especially sulfur and snuff.[/quote'] Yes, thank you, Finally i find some semblance of sanity in this metal forum. In my opinion you do indeed have awesome taste in music, especially in slipknot songs. Been listening to Snuff all day long.

Slipknot are not really better than these pop bands. It is every bit as annoying having some gauged-ear skinny-jean-wearing scene kid twit pretend he's in the same league as the lanky, miserable, quiet, and socially inept yet thoughtful nihilist who listens to Decapitated and Ulcerate as it is being musically badgered by any number of spike-heel-sporting high school alcoholics who listen to Ke$ha. It's a different flavor of evil, of the same intensity. Slipknot's style is definitely tailored. Aside from Jordison, who is perhaps the only member of the band to put any passion or technical adroitness into what he does, Slipknot is a pathetically inept attempt at death metal. Mainstream success is not an indicator of talent or lack thereof. However, with regards to Slipknot, the presence of poorly executed shout vocals, weak and boring riffs, coupled with bland song composition, should surely demonstrate that regardless of whatever acclaim they receive they do not deserve an ounce of it.
To be honest, i think its inaccurate to label slipknot as a "inept attempt at death metal", since so many bands including slipknot dont fall in to just one subgenre of metal, they are more of a product of many subgenres and they do not like to be exclusivley seen as only one, like many metal bands today. I think that back in the 80s and 90s, the lines that divided the varying styles of metal were much more soild and easiliy defined. But with the inevitable evolution of music, those lines have become blured and formed new and hard to label sounds, some people just dont like the change, Different isnt always bad. But i suppose that with the unfamilar there is the inevitable presence of fear that some bands may surpass their favourites in terms of success and ingenuity.

Inkedzombie I suggest if you can't handle the majority expressing their opinion on one of your favourite bands you find another forum' date=' if you stick around though we can do something about improving your collection, we won't even charge you for it lol[/quote'] Dont worry, i can handle it. I am simply expressing my opinion thats all. I dont expect everyone to conform to my taste, that would just be way to close minded of me, which is a label that does not fit me. And if you want to suggest some bands or what not, i am all ears to hear what you think you can teach me lol

Re: Slipknot I certainly have nothing against people listening to Slipknot, anybody can listen to whatever they want, regardless of how I feel about it. However, it does upset me a bit that bands like Slipknot rip off basic techniques from legitimate metal bands, but combine them with pop music and songwriting to create something banal and vapid. It is sold to the masses as the same as what they are a pale imitation of, when bands that make it for the sake of making music (and not making money) are passed over. Of course there will always be an underground, and popularity seldom has anything to do with how talented a band is (as others have already pointed out), but it is annoying that they're smearing the reputation of the bands that they are bastardizing by making it so shallow. Slipknot and their ilk are not metal, but that doesn't mean that I'm saying something so ridiculous as "you can't listen to them", I just believe in calling a spade a spade. As far as expanding on your metal spectrum, what, besides Slipknot and Korn, do you listen to? It's much easier to make recommendations when I know what you already like, and I would sincerely like to make some recommendations to you and have you stick around. My problem with Slipknot does not extend to their fans, so try not to take my ravings personally. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Sure is' date=' great lyrics and powering riffs![/quote'] I just had a listen for argument's sake, and yes, that was crap. It sounded like every mallcore song I've ever heard, crap vocals and riffs, pop verse/chorus/verse structure, and a few lame excuses for death/thrash riffs (backed by turntable scratching no less). It's the lowest common denominator of just a few metal elements mixed with everything that's wrong with pop music, and I can't stand to listen to it.