Christian Black Metal

Caedere

Re: Christian Black Metal

Well, you brought some intellect and balance to the debate and you persuaded Valfar to alter his position, so I owe you for upholding an unpopular cause. :D
Not sure were you saw me alter my decision, I basically just backed up what I said when I was mis quoted. As ive seen you refer to me in a few of the posts above I obviously have hit a nerve! with my opinion, and thats all it is, is an "opinon", if truth be told I dont even believe in satan, or any fairy tale beast, But i do love the dark side of Blackmetal music especailly the old school sound of the early 90's! As I said in an earlier post, it is a never ending debate.......that is all!

Thank you very much. I'm not much of a disciple if I can't cogently defend my own theology. In the meantime, what exactly are your problems? I realize this isn't related to the the thread - maybe I ought to make a theological thread in the 'Off Topic' section. I want to find out whether your opposition is to Scripture itself or just generations of crooked priests, myopic pastors and stupid parishioners in your life. I'll admit, if I had to judge by adherents alone, I'd probably be a very bitter agnostic. I've been lied to and treated like a pet rather than a person by many people and it annoyed me witless. But obviously you do judge. You've made your judgment already; if you hadn't judged you wouldn't have any opinion. As for avoiding any kind of Christian message, that's pretty darn hard. If you want to avoid speaking positively about any element of Christianity I think even John Dewey would admit you're on morally unstable ground, especially since other theologies commonly share principles with Christianity. Then again, you did also say that you objected to parts, not the whole. Perhaps there are only certain themes you don't like. IF, however, you don't like OVERT Christian themes, I can sympathize...a bit of subtlety is useful if you want to draw in an audience. That's why I've tried to roll with the punches and figure things out here instead of quoting Scripture and stating the Apostle's Creed over and over. Eh, you know what? I am going to make that Theology section. I want to make sure I can discuss this.
Well, I could really begin to get into this discussion, but I am fairly sure it would end in anger and flaming. You are correct in saying there are only certain themes about it I dislike (I don't dislike EVERYTHING about it), and when I said I didn't judge, I was mainly referring to the people who listen to Christian music or practice the religion. I didn't want to sound like I hated Christians or anything. As I said above, I won't get into why I dislike the religion since it would just turn into an argument, but I don't judge people based off what they believe. Some of the nicest people I know are Christians, as well as some of the worst people I know. But that is true for all religions, since all religions have a mix of followers. Hopefully that was able to clear some things up. Because this thread really needs to get back on-topic.

Re: Christian Black Metal Yeah...fair enough. :) I've heard Vaakevandring: svPdUqbbwxE Then there's Far Beyond: kbzkEs357Co But Slechtvalk is by far the best. :twisted: (OK, maybe a demon head is a bit ironic) B_WMhcBF2QM Hopefully this will add to the discussion since people can evaluate these bands now...

Re: Christian Black Metal If you want me to be completely honest I thought that kinda sucked, musically. They used the same riff, I think, up until 1:38, at which point they switched to hitting the same chord over and over at a slow tempo. After that they went back to the same riff again. :| The drumming wasn't really that bad, but I thought the guitar was terrible, and trust me, I'm no. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not prejudiced against this music: I heard a Christian death metal group Antidemon and they were also monotonous after a while. I definitely prefer more varied black metal stuff like Dimmu Borgir and Melechesh. Melechesh owns. :twisted:

Re: Christian Black Metal OK, seriously, I just went downstairs just now to learn that opening riff. I'm back up now. I was done in about thirty seconds or less. It's tremolo on open E string, 1st fret, 5th fret, 4th fret. Then you start again.

If you want me to be completely honest I thought that kinda sucked, musically. They used the same riff, I think, up until 1:38, at which point they switched to hitting the same chord over and over at a slow tempo. After that they went back to the same riff again. :| The drumming wasn't really that bad, but I thought the guitar was terrible, and trust me, I'm no. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not prejudiced against this music: I heard a Christian death metal group Antidemon and they were also monotonous after a while. I definitely prefer more varied black metal stuff like Dimmu Borgir and Melechesh. Melechesh owns. :twisted:
hahaha well actually I do love dimmu and Melechesh, but sometimes the simple riffs can be sweet also even though they are repeated, early dark throne and Burzum!! even dimmu have their moments of quality simple structures that are amazing!! -gt7YWwOmRo

Re: Christian Black Metal I've already seen this, apocalypse922 showed it to me :P But yeah, I always liked Evoken's Antithesis of Light even though it was simple...because it was downright scary. Speaking of which, ever hear Mirrorthrone? That's probably the most frightening music I've ever heard.

There is no such thing as christian Black Metal. Christians and sheep of other faiths should stay clear of Extreme Metal if they feel it's an affront to them. I certainly find the existance of these bands offensive.
If you want to discuss this subject, I recommend you use well-thought valid arguments rather than just claiming Christian black metal doesn't exist and that Christians and followers of other faiths are "sheep". Also, please explain why you are offended by Christian content in black-metal lyrics.

There is no such thing as christian Black Metal. Christians and sheep of other faiths should stay clear of Extreme Metal if they feel it's an affront to them. I certainly find the existance of these bands offensive.
:| Did you even read the past couple posts between Valfar and I? If you did, then how can you possibly say there's no such thing as Christian black metal, especially considering that even those who don't like it agree it exists? If you find the existence of these bands offensive, why don't you take your own advice and 'stay clear' of them?

Call it Unblack Metal' date=' so that we can avoid it and you can have you own thing, if you insist on listening to it, but I stand by my statement that there is no such thing as christian Black Metal. It's a contradiction in terms.[/quote'] It IS usually called Unblack Metal. Also, no. It's not a contradiction. Black metal is mainly a musical style, not lyrical style. Yes, paganism, satanism and atheism are often associated with the genre, but it is no a requirement for music to be considered black metal. Therefore, it can be both black and Christian. "Have your own thing"? Why? It's EXACTLY the same thing except for lyrical differences. It's the same musical style.

Call it Unblack Metal' date=' so that we can avoid it and you can have you own thing, if you insist on listening to it, but I stand by my statement that there is no such thing as christian Black Metal. It's a contradiction in terms.[/quote'] Ia m an atheist. I think christian black metal is silly, but it's black metal. And if you find it offensive, you're the one with a problem, not The genre.

Re: Christian Black Metal the idea sounds foolish to me, from what i know black metal was originality nothing like Christianity or totally against it and still is for the most part i also wonder how the bands would make it when theres clearly black metal fans/musicians that do not support Christianity to say the least just my thoughts, no offence meant

the idea sounds foolish to me, from what i know black metal was originality nothing like Christianity or totally against it and still is for the most part i also wonder how the bands would make it when theres clearly black metal fans/musicians that do not support Christianity to say the least just my thoughts, no offence meant
Fair enough. I think you've echoed the general sentiment of most people commenting here, but your idea has been comprehensively addressed by Aksel. As for the bands being successful, that's simple supply and demand. Clearly, some of them have made it, although they certainly aren't as prosperous as the conventional black metal bands.

Re: Christian Black Metal Just thought about it. I am NOT referring to anyone special here, But i have seen a bit of Religion bashing in this thread, From the start. I just want to make it clear that this thread is NOT created for the purpouse of Discussing religion. Therefor, keep it out of this thread. Again, i am not saying this to one person, this is more of a pointer for the future of this thread. Or warning, if you like. Bottom line, Keep it on-topic and civil here.

Re: Christian Black Metal I grew up a Christian, I must say I have heard some decent Christian Rock and Metal songs, and the lyrics scanned nicely, if it did seem a bit weird considering Christians tend to be the first to vilify Metal. Christian Black Metal just sounds both hypocritical and contradictory. Also, without a Judeo-Christian God there would be no Satan - A proper Christian believes that Satan exists, and a proper Satanist should believe God exists - they are mutually dependent upon each other for their existence to have any meaning. So, in a way, without Religion, a lot of the music listened to by members of this forum could not exist. This is not to say that this genre just sounds wrong :lol:

Re: Christian Black Metal Well, to add to the music I'm going to contribute this band. Just found them today... Hopefully they will garner some respect for unblack metal. vpSALxKihjM uGY24xemf70 And to top it all off, they are SAXONS. :twisted:

• 3 months later...

Re: Christian Black Metal Wow I would of never known wintersoul was unblack/black whatever metal by just listening to it alone.It's definitely not the style I like, but I can see why people could like it. It also has some fairly glowing reviews on MA, I've only glanced at them but they were in the low 80% Edit: Sorry didn't realize this was a old thread.

• 4 months later...

Re: Christian Black Metal Christian death metal makes sense to me, because you can pretty much do anything with it. You can go either way politically, talk about cartoonish gore or brutal reality... Christian thrash or power metal, same thing. But black metal in general is designed to cultivate an image of evil. Many of these Christian BM bands wear corpsepaint, which is really odd to me.

Re: Christian Black Metal christian black metal is a confusing conept, it's very difficult to convey the christian message whilst at the same time sounding evil and menacing, or at least I would think that would be difficult, still I suppose there are stranger things in metal so it could work although I doubt it would gather much of a following

Re: Christian Black Metal Wow, you lot are writing far nicer stuff than the vitriolic drivel that got posted earlier. I'll agree with rapidfire on the corpsepaint thing, although it can easily be used to portray the temporal nature of the flesh and thus serve as a symbol of humility before God. As for the concept of conveying Christianity, they tend to dwell on judgement and doom. Slechtvalk comes across as an example, and you should check them out. Also check out Holy Blood, both of thgem are good for black metal. Holy Blood is the band whose members Oskord is made of. I'm sure I suggested them earlier but I may as well reiterate.

Re: Christian Black Metal I've found that Christian-based bands fare much better with genres like power, doom and death. The thing about black metal is that in order for it to be black metal, some people would say it has to embrace an "evil" ideology. Christian death metal works because there's a whole lot of horrible stuff in the bible. We've got a really good local Christian DM band here called Broken Flesh. vSn7ysipO6w