Battle Metal, just another ridiculous "genre"?

Caedere

Re: Battle Metal, just another ridiculous "genre"?

Meh' date=' I never saw much point in Battle Metal as a genre, nor Viking metal, as far as I can see they can be variously distributed between Folk, Gothic and Power Metal. I think genres are important, for much the same reasons as Apoc gave, but they should be few and simply defined, and it should just be accepted that a lot of bands won't fit perfectly into one style.[/quote'] With you on battle metal, but Viking metal is still different enough to be its own thing. It uses many tools of the black metal repertoire, but is written completely differently, and emphasizes different things. It also pulls from more epic heavy metal bands like Manowar, and more frequently incorporates native instrumentation, as well as being almost universally more melodic than black metal.

Re: Battle Metal, just another ridiculous "genre"?

or my ex is a bitch metal
:lol: EVERY SINGLE Dokken song is on this subject... But still, where do we put Battlelore? Seriously, they're not quite power metal, certainly not melodeath or folk, and not gothic...

• 6 months later...

Re: Battle Metal, just another ridiculous "genre"? IF you think about it, all genres started that way, by soem band who incorporated the words into a song, album or in the band's actual name, such as Death, who is credited (whether its true or not) as a grandfather of the deathmetal genre. I agree completely that all this new genre is bs and people only further hurt the music industry with this lack of artistic integrity. Be your own genre, but you don't have assert that genre, and you definitely shouldn't go around with promoting a new genre if you don't have something to back it up. The words 'Battle Metal' sounds cool together, for many reasons. But it also sounds corny and lame, and if you were a true artist you'd involve the notion of 'battle' in your lyrics instead of saying you are a 'battle metal' band. And, I guess I should pay attention to when posts are made. This sparked my interest though. I should go before I get too into this.

Re: Battle Metal, just another ridiculous "genre"? No, by all means, continue. You definitely have a point about the origins of a sound, I just feel that in this case, we're really just talking about symphonic folk metal stuff, and even though the lyrics are about battle, I don't feel that it's enough to merit a genre distinction.

Re: Battle Metal, just another ridiculous "genre"? absolutely agree, genres arise from a distinct SOUND not lyrical content, black metal sounds different to death metal, power metal dounds different to traditional metal and so on butin this genre there is no clear sound the distinction seems entirely based on lyrical content and that is pointless

Re: Battle Metal, just another ridiculous "genre"? I agree. Maybe in this part of the information age, since there were some key distinctions made years back (death metal, power metal, etc) people are either bored with the old generalizations (as one might see them) or genre names, or they want to get more specific for chronicling and searching purposes, as they build their pirated music collection. I'm kinda half kidding but not really.

Re: Battle Metal, just another ridiculous "genre"? Yeah, metal has enough subgenres already to seperate key tihngs about those genres. I think it's usually enough, maybe there is room for a couple more. Djent? I don't really like the term but I hear it used a lot, And I understand the concept. I wonder how Meshugah look at Djent, because that genre is largely credited towards them in that case. It would be interesting to hear a lot of artists' perCPECTIVES on this matter.

Re: Battle Metal, just another ridiculous "genre"? but in metal we accept the clearly defined genres as they are and allow for crossever genres like death/thrash, doom/death, prog/doom etc so really it was probably started by some crap band trying to make themselve seem important by saying "hey check us out we are the creatos of battle metal" lol djent does sort of have a distinct sound so perhaps is a legitimate genre much like viking metal, that being said I don't particularly enjoy the djent sound

Re: Battle Metal, just another ridiculous "genre"? haha you are probably right. I do enjoy the cross overs, but the elite band of these genres don't necessarily consider themselves separate from the more generalized genres. I don't know, some probably do. Yeah, I guess the best way to look at it is to allow it all grow wildly, because no one can stop it anyway, whether for good or bad. and I guess people/fans can do their part by being aware of these dynamics, and support the bands who are true to their music.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
In my opinion "Battle Metal" is not even near to a real genre. As many of us probably know it all started when Turisas released theis album "Battle Metal" and people started calling their music that. To me it only seems like another unnecassary term for folk metal. The music is great, I think. But do we really need to call it battle metal, we already have 'viking' and folk metal. What do you think, do you consider it a real genre?
Intresting. I have never heard of battle metal. Where did this come from?

It's based on Turisas' album Battle Metal. It's really just symphonic folk metal' date=' no need to have another label for it.[/quote'] Yeah, it's fair to say that Equilibrium play that style as well. It does indeed sound cool but I agree that it's not necessarily a useful term. Equilibrium actually have a shirt that bills them as 'German Epic Metal'...which I think it is fair to say sounds much more silly by comparison. Sometimes battle metal just sounds like black metal with keyboards too, as in the case of Kivimetsan Druidi.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wouldn't really consider it a genre. I write a bunch of songs about battle but sometimes I write songs about other things. So it's kind of retarded to have a genre about nothing but songs about battle. If that was the case my stuff would fit into like 4 genres.

• 2 weeks later...
The thing is probably like nsbm' date=' christian black metal or for example red and anarchist black metal. It's not a musical genre, though it might be useful for the people who look for specific themes in music.[/quote'] Haha Shit. Just heard about RABM on NWN for the first time. That is some pure bullshit xD

• 1 month later...