Black Metal

Caedere

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: your opinions on black metal music/scene

But what is it about Mercyful Fate that makes them black metal? To me they really do sound like a heavy metal band more then anything else so I would like to know.
The riffs, atmosphere, vocals, all of it really. It sounds fucking evil, and there are plenty of black metal bands like Root, Mortuary Drape, and even Master's Hammer that have taken a great deal of inspiration from Mercyful Fate. You have to get yourself out of the modern black metal mindset, as it took me a while to feel their black metal, in addition to hearing more and more bands that have carried on their same evil atmosphere. Try out the first EP if you haven't yet, that's their darkest. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Re: your opinions on black metal music/scene

does anyone agree emperor is one of best black metal bands out there dyring their time
In the Nightside Eclipse is classic, and I dig their proggy later stuff too. I wouldn't say that they were ever the best, but I can certainly understand why many do place them in that category, as they were quite talented. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Emperor' date=' well on my other forum I heard a couple of tracks from Nightside Eclipse and they were good but the other Emperor tracks I've heard were garbage[/quote'] No way dude, Emperor is great. Some people don't like their last album because it's really proggy and out there, but I still dig it. Here are some of their later tracks that I really enjoy: Warriors of Modern Death: P9NzySg56-8 In the Wordless Chamber: 4X6ZFm948XQ

seems I struck a nerve there
Hm. Maybe I should check out that Emperor album... I've been researching the 'unblack' scene for a little while now ever since stumbling across Metal Helm, and I like it. Some of the bands really seem to be a mixed bag. I downloaded a lot of stuff from Blood Covenant, so I've been enjoying that recently, but it seems like they could do more. The group has a lot of potential, some realized and some not.

It is quite rare to find someone who doesn't like Emperor but listens to metal. I've been a huge fan of all their albums since the IX Equilibrium days..they need to fuckin reunite again. Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk has got some of the best tracks imo, but every album is prime! First album is my most favorite cult black metal album ever.

It is quite rare to find someone who doesn't like Emperor but listens to metal. I've been a huge fan of all their albums since the IX Equilibrium days..they need to fuckin reunite again. Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk has got some of the best tracks imo' date=' but every album is prime! First album is my most favorite cult black metal album ever.[/quote'] I still like what Ihsahn has been doing since his split from the band, it's definitely of a higher caliber than stuff like Zyklon. Don't get my wrong, what I've heard from Zyklon is okay, but I vastly prefer the more progressive direction Ihsahn has taken. I haven't heard the newest album from him yet, but After really took me by surprise with the fucking masterful use of saxophone. It was really clever and unique, and actually added to the song, and fit in a not gimmick ridden way.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There some good BM and some terrible BM, not to be one of those people, but with Black metal, most of the good stuff is the early BM stuff, like Mayhem Bathory and Burzum. someone already said it, but theyre right, its not about the imagery but about the music, its honestly better to listen to as much as you can though and find what you like. there are so many mixed opinions on BM that its hard to take someones word for it.

• 4 weeks later...

I just listen to whatever I like. The black metal community is full of all sorts and the so-called elitists are among the most ridiculous. 

I once knew a guy who fancied himself an elitist, had hard drives full of only black metal because he hated every other genre, and also hated Norwegian black metal specifically. I found this amusing and ironic since a lot of the bands he enjoyed were discount-bin knockoffs of Norwegian bands. He was too kvlt to listen to anything too popular. 

2 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

I just listen to whatever I like. The black metal community is full of all sorts and the so-called elitists are among the most ridiculous. 

I once knew a guy who fancied himself an elitist, had hard drives full of only black metal because he hated every other genre, and also hated Norwegian black metal specifically. I found this amusing and ironic since a lot of the bands he enjoyed were discount-bin knockoffs of Norwegian bands. He was too kvlt to listen to anything too popular. 

I've known a few people like that too. It's more about status than the music itself in their minds, since demo quality production and limited pressings don't make these band's third rate recycled Darkthrone riffs sound any better. 

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, Kingofdarkness said:

I love Black Metal. Behemoth is my favorite band. I also listen to Mayhem, Bathory, Gorgoroth, and Nile just to name a few. There are so many bands today it's difficult to keep up with. 

If you're including Nile and modern day Behemoth in the black metal genre, then yes there would be too many bands to keep track of, because they and bands like them aren't really black metal bands - more death metal. Old Behemoth is excellent black metal though. I wish I had more of it actually.