What gear do you have ?

Apoc

6 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I'm fairly sure that's actually the tuning Vektor use. I'll be very interested to see how/if the higher tuning influences your music at all FA.

Right now that guitar is more of a secondary instrument, for melodies and textures, but it's cool to have the extra range, and I did find myself writing a couple of very "80s rock" riffs while I was jamming on it. 

49 minutes ago, jfk36 said:

I've been thinking about adding a middle pickup to my telecaster, now do I do the sensible thing and get a vintage voiced single coil, or do I go a little crazy and add one of Seymour Duncan's high output passive humbuckers (maybe the sentient).

Is there something in particular that a middle pickup would give you, rather than just swapping out what you  already have? And do you have a slot for it, or are you going to do a surface mount? It  might be a fun experiment, but one really great tone is better than a bunch of different options. 

I've only had a handful of guitars with three pickups, and truth be told, I never had much use for the "tonal flexibility". I've lobotomized most of my guitars by wiring the bridge pickup straight to the jack, for clearer tone and higher output. I do occasionally miss the neck pickup on my main Explorer, but not enough to bother with the deadening effect that all the knobs and switches had on my tone. 

Ah cool, if it's routed out then you've got nothing to lose. Try something different! That humbucker sounds fun, though it might do better in the bridge. One of my friends recently got a Tele with an Evertune bridge and some nice Bareknuckle pickups, can't recall the name off the top of my head. Not quite my flavor, but a sweet guitar by any standard. 

Unfortunately I would have to route it out for the bridge (which I can't be arsed doing, I'd have to take it to school and use their router), at the moment it has got the original tele pickup. This guitar is almost like a test bench for my other guitars. The last thing I tried was an on board fuzz effect, which now lives in my strat, gives it a warmer, almost creamier feel, excellent for Keith Richards kinda stuff.

19 minutes ago, jfk36 said:

Unfortunately I would have to route it out for the bridge (which I can't be arsed doing, I'd have to take it to school and use their router), at the moment it has got the original tele pickup. This guitar is almost like a test bench for my other guitars. The last thing I tried was an on board fuzz effect, which now lives in my strat, gives it a warmer, almost creamier feel, excellent for Keith Richards kinda stuff.

Mmm, how I love Keith Richards' warm cream...

I'm fairly sure that's actually the tuning Vektor use. I'll be very interested to see how/if the higher tuning influences your music at all FA.

You're close, they tune to F, which is just a half step up, not the full step that FA has done here to F#. Their new album should be out in May, I can't wait!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

GUITARS
* DBZ Venom Thoracic.
* DBZ Venom Watchers.
- Both are loaded with EMG 81/85, Floyd Rose Original, all Mahogany with set necks, grover tuners and 24 frets as standard
- Both have 18v mod installed
- Both have a Tremol-no installed in the Floyd which allows me to hardtail or free the trem by turning two thumb screws.
- Got schaller strap lock ports on both and a single strap from Metal Devastation that has the locks on it that i move between guitars as needed. 

AMP
8U Thon rack containing (from top)
* Furman PL8-CE power conditioner
* A Line 6 Relay G90 wireless system
* Kemper PowerRack with remote (no external pedals), mostly using SinMix profiles, specifically right now an Engl Fireball profile as that was what we used for the EP and what our other guitarist currently uses.  
* 3U lockable Rack drawer for all the accessories and spare stuff. 

ACCESSORIES
* Ebow Plus 
* Lemmy Killmister signature guitar picks, 1.14 gauge carbon fibre picks with raised gripped edges
* Dunlop 5010 pick holder for live 
* Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky's for strings plus a couple spare packs in the drawer.
* All cables for signal are by Monster 
* All cables for power are Sssnake. 
* Stairville rack lamps and tour labels
* ACS Pro 17 ear plugs

That's about it I think.

Here's a list of my gear:

GUITAR STUFF:

• Encore Stratocaster (my 1st guitar)
  • BC Rich Warlock (reversed head)
  • Epiphone G400 special
  • Godin 
  • Squier Stratocaster (japanese), relic'ed by myself
  • Vigier Excalibur 
  • Vigier Kaos
  • Ibanez electro acoustic
  • Zoom G5
  • Yamaha TXH10X
  • Marshall VS100R

BASS STUFF:

• Aria IGB50
  • Aria fretless
  • Ibanez EDA900
  • Fender Jazz bass Aerodyne
  • Fender Precision bass 60th anniversary, relic'ed by myself
  • Zoom B3
  • Behringer BOD100 & BOD400 overdrive
  • Boss Bass chorus
  • Zoom MS60B
  • Digitech Synth Wah
  • TC electronic Polytune
  • Digitech Whammy (guitar version)

That's more or less it...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2016 at 2:13 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

One of my friends has an Evertune on his Tele. He says they're pretty finicky to set up exactly right - he wanted his set to allow a bit of bending. It wasn't for me, I bend way too frequently to want to fight the bridge every time. But I imagine it's a great choice for tight rhythm playing.

It's not too hard to adjust for bending to be honest, just gotta tighten the heads a bit. Wasn't too hard for me to put into D standard with thicker strings so perhaps the tele version is different to the one in the Washburn, i dunno. 

1 hour ago, Dan Tregenna said:

It's not too hard to adjust for bending to be honest, just gotta tighten the heads a bit. Wasn't too hard for me to put into D standard with thicker strings so perhaps the tele version is different to the one in the Washburn, i dunno. 

That's cool. I didn't mess around with the bridge adjustments, only played the thing for a few minutes. He may have also found it tricky because he's fairly new to playing and setting up his own instruments. Do you like playing on it so far?

18 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

That's cool. I didn't mess around with the bridge adjustments, only played the thing for a few minutes. He may have also found it tricky because he's fairly new to playing and setting up his own instruments. Do you like playing on it so far?

Ah fair, it's not too bad though, I mean in my current band I'm playing most of the lead guitar lines so i've got it set up to bend on all the strings that aren't E and A so the rhythm lines are tighter when i am playing them and that took me all of 20 seconds to do. 

Ah fair, yeah I guess it could be slightly daunting to a new player, buying a guitar with an evertune as a new player seems a massive risk financially though, how did he come to the choice to buy it? 

I'm liking it well enough for the most part, i'm used to playing V shaped guitars though so it's a bit awkward to sit with or having to remember to find a stand for it, the neck is comfortable, the bridge stays in tune and the sound is pretty good for what we do. Got a gig in Plymouth coming up next weekend, gonna see how it holds up as a live  guitar but in general I can't fault it really. 

11 minutes ago, Dan Tregenna said:

Ah fair, it's not too bad though, I mean in my current band I'm playing most of the lead guitar lines so i've got it set up to bend on all the strings that aren't E and A so the rhythm lines are tighter when i am playing them and that took me all of 20 seconds to do. 

Ah fair, yeah I guess it could be slightly daunting to a new player, buying a guitar with an evertune as a new player seems a massive risk financially though, how did he come to the choice to buy it? 

I'm liking it well enough for the most part, i'm used to playing V shaped guitars though so it's a bit awkward to sit with or having to remember to find a stand for it, the neck is comfortable, the bridge stays in tune and the sound is pretty good for what we do. Got a gig in Plymouth coming up next weekend, gonna see how it holds up as a live  guitar but in general I can't fault it really. 

Good to know, I hope it works out for you. I would like a chance to adjust an Evertune at some point, just to get the experience - I like setting up guitars and do all of my own work unless I'm completely at sea. My friend is in his mid 30s, been in bands for years as a vocalist, but aspired to be his own songwriter. The last couple of years have seen him invest his spare time and cash into guitar, bass, and recording equipment. He's come a long way in a short time. The Tele was a lucky find on EBay.

I've always been most comfortable with my Explorer, which I suppose I've had for 18 years now. I replaced the stock nut with graphite, and the bridge with a Graphtech Resomax (which I think is an aluminum alloy), and been very happy with tuning stability, tone, and intonation ever since. My Steinberger baritone is far and away the most stable guitar I have, though. I wish the bridge had individual saddles, but otherwise it's perfect for my needs.

• 7 months later...

I´ve been doing music since i was a teen, but real life has had its challenges and theres been some breaks on it. Last song i finished was in 2014 and i´ve been getting some equipment now to get back on the saddle. I´ve had all kinds of gear during the years, but at the moment it´s down to 2 (not very good guitars). Yamaha Se 700 He which i´ve had since i was 15, and a Squier strat with Emg HZ (don´t ask). Got a small midi keyboard couple weeks ago, and today i should receive Focusrite scarlett solo studio pack, a popkiller and table arm for the mic. I hope to do something i´ve never done and actually record some vocals too. Also got a Yamaha steel string acoustic because i´ve always hated the sound of my nylon acoustic. Missing a bass guitar at the moment but depending on my budget it´s going to be my next purchase, if i have more to spend (not likely) i am looking for a new guitar. The goal for 2017 is to make more finished songs for sure, i have few i´ve done over the years but i have hundreds and hundreds of unfinished songs and riffs i have recorded. Music was always my true passion it´s such a shame i have let the life come in between me and my true love. My stuff certainly ain´t nothing fancy, but it´s enough to get me started again. I´ve done some music collaboration on the internet in the past, and i have a friend who can record me drums (well anything basically), and someone to do some female vocals.. so might go beyond just doing shit alone too.

Hell yeah, good luck with it. I really feel where you're coming from about life getting in the way. There's plenty I have to be grateful for right now, but being married and having a kid takes a ton of time and energy away from creative pursuits, even if it's a happy marriage and the kid is a lot of fun. Ever since our latest move, I've been scraping together odd bits of time when I can steal them from other things. It's not enough and I'm going nuts. I'm getting work done, but I can't shake the feeling that I could be a lot farther along.

I think I've finally replaced the last piece of gear that I bought when I first got "serious" about recording fifteen years ago. I put that in quotes because all of my gear (except for guitars and amps) is very much budget stuff. Unfortunately my Focusrite Saffire interface has a couple of jacks that are starting to go, and the ART preamp I got on eBay has a bad pot that makes one channel nearly impossible to use, but it works well enough for now. Dealing with cheap gear has definitely taught me a lot about using microphones, and the value of a good performance. I also really enjoy mixing. I've had plenty of stumbles, but I wouldn't trade the control I have over my own sound, or the freedom of being able to record without renting a studio and hiring a mix engineer.

Definitely important to get other people involved in some capacity, it can help inspire you and keep things from getting sterile, especially in your own head. I hope you can find new life in your old ideas. I'd be interested to hear what you come up with.

Well the stuff arrived and got it set up pretty easily. Not my first Focusrite interface. Damn you are really lucky enjoying mixing.. theres basically couple things i hate, thats tweaking guitar tones, mixing in general, and working on drums. At times i get so annoyed doing that. I have learned some of the theory over the years and of course can´t ignore that part of the job. It´s certainly a great skill to have even more to enjoy. Heres hoping everyone who needs the time to be creative will have a chance to do it in 2017! :D 

15747525_1732266443767550_2054134436120896425_n.jpg

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, Abomb said:

Hi I am looking for some info/feedback on gear selection if anyone could please help with some basics.

You have to narrow this down further. Guitars? Amps? Recording gear? Your playing experience, price range, goals, the kind of music you play, etc etc... Also, as much as I enjoy talking about gear, I'd suggest you read through some of our older threads and perhaps dig into a gear-specific site like sevenstring.org or ultimate guitar forum, there's a ton of info out there.