DragonForce

Robert8092

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: DragonForce's new singer

Meh' date=' I'm not a huge Dragonforce fan, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they are terrible. Obviously they are very talented musicians, but what they have in skill they seriously lack in the songwriting department. Hopefully the new singer will help them to evolve their sound a bit.[/quote']
This is why they are terrible. This is why they Should just... stop.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Re: DragonForce's new singer I've got absolutely zero respect for dragonforce, they've never been able to structure a song, their lyrics have never been any good and the only decent member of the band has now left, I don't give a shit about his replacement either, honestly Iced Earth's Dystopia is a horrible album is a horrible album and even it is better musically then anything dragonforce has done

• 3 months later...

Re: DragonForce's new singer I must confess I haven't heard the new singer but I think DragonForce are terrific! Their music is like liquid sunshine, happy, cheesy and it just make me feel good about life and myself. I mean, I can completely understand a lot of metalheads hating them, they are not very "heavy" sounding and their solos do go on for ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever............. But I just thought somebody ought to stick up for them.

Re: DragonForce's new singer Dragonland is plenty cheesy but I think they exceed Dragonforce in basically every area, including lyrics. Actually, I think I'll go listen to them right now...haven't heard them in quite a while.

Re: DragonForce's new singer I've got nothing against cheesy power metal (it's part of the fun of power metal) but I do have an issue with bands who could make better music then they do, I could see myself liking dragonforce if they actually had a structure to their songs, if they would slow things down a little and write something that actually had a riff or two in it I think they'd recieve much less hate from the metal community, it's a bit like Yngwie Malmsteen, he has no structure to his songs either, the only reason he recieves any respect from metalheads is for his live performances and from what I've seen dragonforce butcher their songs live which hurts them even more

Re: DragonForce's new singer I actually don't mind Dragonforce, especially their first two albums, but hated seeing them live. They pretty much just showboat and act like idiots, while a large industrial fan blows their singer's hair back. I remember liking Valley of the Damned before they got signed to Roadrunner and thinking they just sounded like Helloween playing a bit faster, but after their appearance on Guitar Hero, people focused merely on their solos. As a result, Dragonforce focused more on their solos, and are now pretty much playing up the gimmick as far as I can tell. Their first few albums do have some good speed/power metal riffs, and I would hardly call it structureless. Their lyrics have always been horrible though, I think he says some variation of "far away" in every single song they have, but I guess I don't focus much on lyrics or solos, so they're probably not as big of an issue for me as for you guys.

Re: DragonForce's new singer if they could play live it probably wouldn't be as much of an issue for me, I actually liked their first singer I thought he had a decent enough voice, but when they write a ten minute long song with about eight minutes of solos it's really off putting, actually that's part of the reason why I really dislike Megadeth's Hangar 18, too many solos

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Dragonforce...the most popular power metal band at Hot t Boo Murph (and I never wanted too say that :cry: !). These bands are not posers. If you don't like their punk influence or commercial sound, that's cool. So too if you hate slipknot's stage antics. But lots of people love their music and they are talented musicians who have worked too hard for them to be lumped in with all the other lazy pop acts out there. And anyway, modern metal is punk derived, as the NWOBHM bands took inspiration from punk when the first metal bands had run themselves into a self-indulgent rutt.

Re: Dragonforce...the most popular power metal band at Hot t it's not the punk influence that I dislike, in fact I quite like punk music (blasphemy I know) what I dislike in bands like slipknot, bullet for my valentine, trivium and killswitch engage (there are many, many others as well of course) is the popish nature of their songwriting, it is an obvious attempt to take outsider music and make it appeal to the masses, it took metal a little while longer then punk to get there but it seems we're now at that stage where bands calling themselves metal are more concerned with image and commercial appeal then with their music ps slipknot has ONE talented member, their drummer

Re: Dragonforce...the most popular power metal band at Hot t Murph, surely all bands aim to be successful. Admittedly, there is one BFMV song of the Fever album that I do find lyrically childish in the extreme, and maybe they are trying to appeal to the masses, but with the argueable exception of Slipknot, I don't think the bands you have mention are particularly image concious, certainly no more than bands like Dimmu Borgin (sounds like a stock :lol: - add two teaspoons of Dimmu Borgin to any stew for a delightful savoury kick!) and other extreme metal acts, who to me often seem to be competing to be the more outlandishly dressed and religiously offensive. So that, in its own way, is just as much pandering to a pressure from the audience as aiming at the masses - just one probably pays better ;) . But in the end, no matter how you dress it up, metal will always be alien to the masses, it's just too agressive in a way Punk isn't always, and so I enjoy hearing a form of metal, among many others I enjoy, which has a bit of polish/predictability to it, depending on your viewpoint. Personnally, I love riffs, and I also like to hear my riffs loud and clear, which is why I like BFMV, Slipknot and Trivium. Bought a Killswitch album once but I wasn't over impressed, too fuzzy. As for DragonForce, which is, I guess, what this whole thread was meant to be about, they are too cheesey by far to appeal to the masses. Still, I love my cheese, and DragonForce make me cheerful and optimistic in a way no other metal does. Yes, every song does sound a bit the same, but they are the only ones out their writing at that insane speed, so that's O.K. by me :D ! Long live the unashamed kings of Sunshine Metal!

Re: Dragonforce...the most popular power metal band at Hot t Before The Dawn should be the most popular, they're plenty accessible and they don't suck. After that, move on to Insomnium and Amon Amarth, then Arch Enemy and Dark Tranquillity. That way we can get their patrons to listen to real metal eventually.

Re: Dragonforce...the most popular power metal band at Hot t @Strategos it's self driven in black metal, the bands want to distinguish themselves from their influences by dressing in more outlandish fashion and by sounding more evil, some bands do these things whilst others look the part but make rubbish music, bands such as slipknot primarily appeal to the scene kids who'll stop listening to them once they get over the rebellious teen phase of their life, a small number will bridge out into heavier bands with a smaller number still shunning their gateway bands as too commercial, the first and possibly also second dragonforce albums where ok but focusing on speed at the expense of complexity and structure ruined them from there on, as is often the case when a band focuses on just one aspect of songwriting

Re: Dragonforce...the most popular power metal band at Hot t I don't mind dragonforce at all. They are one of hundreds(thousands?)of power metal bands, but the only one that the general public (In America, anyway)seems to be aware of. If some kid knows Dragonforce from Guitar Hero/Rockband or whatever, and he gets into better bands as a result, I think that's great.

Re: Dragonforce...the most popular power metal band at Hot t

I don't mind dragonforce at all. They are one of hundreds(thousands?)of power metal bands' date=' but the only one that the general public (In America, anyway)seems to be aware of. If some kid knows Dragonforce from Guitar Hero/Rockband or whatever, and he gets into better bands as a result, I think that's great.[/quote'] I like Valley of the Damned and Sonic Firestorm, but it seems like they lapsed into self parody after gaining all of that Guitar Hero/Youtube recognition and shifted the focus from writing songs to writing something to keep your attention occupied until they got to the solos. I don't have a problem with bands getting recognition either, but often times that recognition can cause your focus to shift and the results are usually worse than what the band started out doing.