Who is the best out of the big 4 ???

Radio ollerhead

Re: Who is the best out of the big 4 ??? Watain is pretty good, their early stuff is sort of a cross between Dissection and Marduk, but they've been getting a bit slower and more deliberate sounding with each release, with a bit of thrash/heavy metal influence coming through. I like them, but they're not the "black metal saviors" many make them out to be. As far as Murph's comment, Darkthrone haven't played live since the early 90's, with the exception of a couple of festival gigs where Nocturno Culto joined Satyricon on stage for a Darkthrone set, and even when Quorthon of Bathory was living, he didn't play live. Just saw Mayhem earlier this year though and they were sick, would definitely love to see them again.

Re: Who is the best out of the big 4 ??? I'd shift anthrax out of the big 4 and shove Testament instead - they've been far more consistent and interesting. But to be fair I'd let a randy hog in a ginger wig shag dave mustaine to make him angry again or even shoot him full of smack (dave and the hog) - so I'm perhaps not the best person to be taking advice from.

Re: Who is the best out of the big 4 ??? Love Testament but like them or not Anthrax has had more commercial success. We can argue semantics (or Band X is better than Band Y) but at the end of the day, the no. of albums sold is the main criteria determining who makes it into the Big 4.

Re: Who is the best out of the big 4 ??? I wasn't sure how commercially successful Anthrax had been in recent years - they seemed to jump record labels all the time and then went back to Belladona, cos they weren't cutting it moneywise, but perhaps that was relative to their previous success and still better than testament.

Re: Who is the best out of the big 4 ??? Anthrax just can't decide whether they like Belladonna or not but they are quite successful commercially as are Slayer and Megadeth though none compare to the commercial entitiy that is Metallica, that being said 'tallica are easily my least favourite of the big four

Re: Who is the best out of the big 4 ??? I swear a soap opera couldn't write a better drama than the "Who's the Anthrax vocalist this week?" debacle. Glad they FINALLY settled on Belladonna but thought Bush was great as well. Nelson was just an Anselmo impersonator- lucky for us he took a dump on Bello's back (or so we're told)! :P

Re: Who is the best out of the big 4 ??? Bush's voice doesn't really fit with Anthrax though, and while he was a shitty vocalist overall, I have to say that even Neil Turbin was a better fit. Plus, when Bush joined they went through that awful groove/grunge phase, at least the music on Fistful of Metal was good enough to overlook Turbin's shortcomings.

• 6 months later...

Slayer is my favorite of the big 4, without question. I don't even see the allure with Megadeath, they had some okay stuff early on. These days, it's radio metal, they supposed to be thrash? Metallica, Im not as big a fan, as I once was, kinda dropped off after Master of Puppets. But you can't argue the success. Anthrax is always fun, but they had an identity crisus for awhile. Id replace Megadeath with Testament in a heartbeat.

well this is going to be fun... firstly when referring to bands spelling their name correctly is pretty important, fortunately for you Megadeth are a big enough band that it doesn't matter as much, if you were referring to a lesser known band, Myrddraal for example, incorrect spelling would make it more difficult for people to know what you were talking about. now that we've dispensed with that of the "big four" Megadeth are probably the band producing the highest quality both in terms of live performances and studio albums in recent times, Slayer have been worthless since Divine Intervention and their live performances have sucked in general since well since always, Metallica haven't qualified as thrash since Justice and with one exception in Death Magnetic haven't been metal since the black album and so far as Anthrax are concerned other then Worship Music I can't remember the last time they released anything worth hearing, maybe very early nineties? and describing Megadeth as radio metal? perhaps to some extent between Countdown To Extinction and The System Has Failed this would be accurate, it may also be true of Th1rt3eN to some degree (though I find it more boring then "radio friendly") however it is an unfair tag to associate with either United Abominations or Endgame, more to the point Overkill or Exodus would be much more well suited to a place in the big four both being larger names and producing better music more consistently then Testament who, outside of three albums (The Legacy, The New Order and Souls Of Black), are totally worthless

Metallica for me then slayer then megadeath then anthrax. i agree with the poster above in some of his statemnets. megadeath are still producing quality music i haven't seen them live yet so i cant say about there live performance. but i have seen Metallica and there live show are fantastic and in the 4 times i have since them i have never been disappointed . i have only just got back into slayer and never since them live but i still love early slayer. OK i no people will say that Metallica haven't produced a good album in years and haven't been metal for years. but i say buy there first few records they released, the set a ground i personally don't think many if not none have come close to touching. has there been a greater thrash metal album than master of puppets? and that why i say Metallica.

better thrash album then Master Of Puppets? I can think of a few off the top of my head Coroner - Punishment For Decadence Exhorder - Slaughter In The Vatican Kreator - Pleasure To Kill Sepultura - Schizophrenia Destruction - Release From Agony for consistency I rate Megadeth best of the big four, followed by Slayer then Metallica and lastly Anthrax however I find myself losing a lot of respect for all four bands when compared to the less commercially successful thrash bands

better thrash album then Master Of Puppets? I can think of a few off the top of my head Coroner - Punishment For Decadence Exhorder - Slaughter In The Vatican Kreator - Pleasure To Kill Sepultura - Schizophrenia Destruction - Release From Agony for consistency I rate Megadeth best of the big four, followed by Slayer then Metallica and lastly Anthrax however I find myself losing a lot of respect for all four bands when compared to the less commercially successful thrash bands
This is true for me as well, except with Slayer. Even getting deeper into thrash and finder great lesser known bands, Slayer still stands out as incredible for their early work. As for better than Master of Puppets, here are a bunch that are all from other Bay Area bands that weren't a part of the Big 4: Exodus - Bonded By Blood Sadus - Chemical Exposure Dark Angel - Darkness Descends Heathen - Breaking the Silence Forbidden - Twisted Into Form Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare Death Angel - The Ultra-Violence

You rate schizophrenia higher than Beneath the Remains and Arise...wow Arise is a masterpiece, beauty to my ears, Beneath catches you from the start, never lets go.

Re: Who is the best out of the big 4 ???

You rate schizophrenia higher than Beneath the Remains and Arise...wow Arise is a masterpiece, beauty to my ears, Beneath catches you from the start, never lets go.
Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2 I prefer Schizophrenia to Beneath the Remains as well, but only slightly, both are monumentally punishing thrash albums. Arise is good too, but nowhere near the level of those two, it's not as spontaneous, vicious, or riff packed.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
@Relentless I've never been a big Megadeth fan, so it's not common knowledge to me how they spell it. I've always respected their abilities, just never cared for the finished product. I like my thrash, a little more thrashy.
I've always been a fan of Megadeth's Rust in Peace very "thrashy" also,they did a live version of this album. And its great Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 4