Your favorite death metal bands?

DeliverUsToEvil

5 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I disagree, Massacra was more of a death/thrash band than a worshiper of the blasphemous and forward thinking death metal styling of Altars of Madness.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I actually agree with you, in the sense that considering "Altars" was released quite some time before Massacra's sophomore, Massacra were definitely a backward looking band. Whereas Morbid Angel showed an amazing progression even between A and B. Besides, none in Massacra was on par with Trey.

What I meant to say is that is that if "Enjoy the Violence" sounds like death/thrash to your ears (and mine), without "Altars" it would have sounded like thrash/thrash :D

5 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:  

I disagree, Massacra was more of a death/thrash band than a worshiper of the blasphemous and forward thinking death metal styling of Altars of Madness.

I actually agree with you, in the sense that considering "Altars" was released quite some time before Massacra's sophomore, Massacra were definitely a backward looking band. Whereas Morbid Angel showed an amazing progression even between A and B. Besides, none in Massacra was on par with Trey.

What I meant to say is that is that if "Enjoy the Violence" sounds like death/thrash to your ears (and mine), without "Altars" it would have sounded like thrash/thrash [emoji3]

Nah, not really. Morbid Angel's sound didn't really catch on with other bands until the debut albums from band's like Vader and Immolation, as while they were massively influential, nobody could compete with them at the time. Also, death metal was in full swing in the underground at that time, with other major death metal releases happening all over Europe in the same year that were more along the lines of what Massacra was up to, like Morgoth's The Eternal Fall, Pestilence's Consuming Impulse, Bolt Thrower's Realm of Chaos, etc... Most seem to think death metal started in the 90's, but the underground started kicking in the mid 80's more than many care to acknowledge.

8 hours ago, Parker said:

I've never been huge on DM, but I can easily say Morbid Angel is my favorite, especially Alters of Madness. I could listen to that album a million times. I tend to like real early old school stuff. I often like DM mixed with other genres, like death/doom. diSEMBOWELMENT are incredible. I hate Cannibal Corpse, they're redundant and boring as fuck. Some Nile is cool, love the song Chapter for Transforming into a Snake. I hate melodeath, as to me it sounds like mellow death, and if there's one thing DM should not be, it's mellow.

That's certainly true of some melodeath. Many assume all melodeath sounds like modern Arch Enemy or Children of Bodom (or is it Boredom?) astounding given the latter are more in keeping with power metal. There's so much incredible and heavy melodic death metal out there people almost don't know about or don't consider melodeath. Anata's 'The Conductor's Departure' for example, or Arch Enemy's 'Stigmata'.

18 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Nah, not really. Morbid Angel's sound didn't really catch on with other bands until the debut albums from band's like Vader and Immolation, as while they were massively influential, nobody could compete with them at the time. Also, death metal was in full swing in the underground at that time, with other major death metal releases happening all over Europe in the same year that were more along the lines of what Massacra was up to, like Morgoth's The Eternal Fall, Pestilence's Consuming Impulse, Bolt Thrower's Realm of Chaos, etc... Most seem to think death metal started in the 90's, but the underground started kicking in the mid 80's more than many care to acknowledge.

I listened to both "Altars" and "Enjoy" today on the way to work (hell) and back. 

I don't like too much to be "nah"-ed eheheh. Also I'm not "people". People = "s**t", someone said. I am and I'm me (to quote Twisted Sister). Just kidding, I see your point, but...

...I still agree with myself: Massacra have a load of Morbid Angel influence. I'd like to stress that with many death metal records the loudest instrument in the mix is... THE VOCALS! That's because death metal vocals are what makes Death Metal extreme compared to brutal thrash. I might be deaf, but I hear a lot of similarities in the song structures department (songs are SUNG). When it comes to riffs, well, I cannot deny that Trey's were far superior, more intricate and more innovative than Massacra's. Also, Sandoval is a beast (shall I say was? David Vincent says he's a born again Christian now).

Am I the only soul (ghoul) who hears reeks of Morbidity in a song like this??? If so, please help me! I need to be tutored in my death metal listening experiences!

18 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:  

I listened to both "Altars" and "Enjoy" today on the way to work (hell) and back. 

I don't like too much to be "nah"-ed eheheh. Also I'm not "people". People = "s**t", someone said. I am and I'm me (to quote Twisted Sister). Just kidding, I see your point, but...

...I still agree with myself: Massacra have a load of Morbid Angel influence. I'd like to stress that with many death metal records the loudest instrument in the mix is... THE VOCALS! That's because death metal vocals are what makes Death Metal extreme compared to brutal thrash. I might be deaf, but I hear a lot of similarities in the song structures department (songs are SUNG). When it comes to riffs, well, I cannot deny that Trey's were far superior, more intricate and more innovative than Massacra's. Also, Sandoval is a beast (shall I say was? David Vincent says he's a born again Christian now).

Am I the only soul (ghoul) who hears reeks of Morbidity in a song like this??? If so, please help me! I need to be tutored in my death metal listening experiences!

Not really. Death metal is in the instrumentation, not the vocal technique. Sure, harsher vocals tend to fit the harsher music, but it's all about the music. I don't personally have Enjoy the Violence, but I didn't hear much Morbid Angel happening in Final Holocaust. Maybe Enjoy the Violence is significantly different, but Final Holocaust was more of a Kreator meets Death/Morgoth/Possessed kind of sound. Morbid Angel had a pretty unique guitar style that's tough to imitate, and they may have been doing their best at keeping up, but it's missing that certain something to prompt the comparison to my ears.

So you are telling me that there are death metal bands with clean vocals? No growling nor screaming and you still call it death metal?

I am not saying that if you growl/scream over an harp ensemble, you are making a death metal record. What I am saying is that Possessed was the first band out of the Bay Area to be called "death metal". Why? Because they had a song with that name at the end of their debut, because they had inverted crosses... AND because that Jeff Becerra dude had a harsher bark than the rest of the lot!

And you are also telling me that you don't see any Morbid Angel influence in the album "Enjoy the Violence", yet you have never actually listened to it?

Of course the first Massacra record is more of a "Pleasure to Kill" type of record, but, seriously, try out the second record!

I've never said it was a better record than "Altars". "Altars" is a masterpiece that stands above everything else. But if you do play "Enjoy the Violence" next to it, you would catch the influence. I am pretty sure. As a matter of fact, it's not one of my crazy theories. :D

Yeah they were called death metal for coining the phrase just like the only reason Venom were called black metal was an album title...

The vocal delivery isn't all there is to DM. The genre takes cues from thrash - speed and technicality being just some of them - and pushes them further. DM, at least in its early days, stripped back much of the melodic sensibilities thrash has (and yes thrash has a lot of melody even amongst the more savage examples of the genre). It has a more sinister tone and the way songs are written is very different. The vocals do play into this but are far from genre defining tropes. Heard of Cynic? 'Cause they use mostly clean vocals at least in what I've heard.

I'm not going to engage in the Massacra discussion having only heard Final Holocaust which fucking slays.

9 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Yeah they were called death metal for coining the phrase just like the only reason Venom were called black metal was an album title...

The vocal delivery isn't all there is to DM. The genre takes cues from thrash - speed and technicality being just some of them - and pushes them further. DM, at least in its early days, stripped back much of the melodic sensibilities thrash has (and yes thrash has a lot of melody even amongst the more savage examples of the genre). It has a more sinister tone and the way songs are written is very different. The vocals do play into this but are far from genre defining tropes. Heard of Cynic? 'Cause they use mostly clean vocals at least in what I've heard.

I'm not going to engage in the Massacra discussion having only heard Final Holocaust which fucking slays.

Cynic? I've never heard of Cyinic... Or maybe I have... :D

Here is a picture of all the albums I mentioned here except for Massacra's first, which I don't own (yet).

Fellas, I know my shit! When I don't, that's when I shut up. Cynic features prominently harsh vocals, but the fact that the first song on their first LP ("Veil of Maya") starts with clean vocals might give the impression that their use of scream/growl is more moderate than others. 

BTW, Cynic is a FUSION band who happens to include Death Metal among the many styles it drains from to create a blend of a plethora of musical genres. There is a reason why these dudes here were featured in a Death album ("Human").

Jesus F Christ, I'm Italian, I'm supposed to be learning here! Just kidding, forgive me for bragging a bit.

Death_Metal.jpg

So you are telling me that there are death metal bands with clean vocals? No growling nor screaming and you still call it death metal?

I am not saying that if you growl/scream over an harp ensemble, you are making a death metal record. What I am saying is that Possessed was the first band out of the Bay Area to be called "death metal". Why? Because they had a song with that name at the end of their debut, because they had inverted crosses... AND because that Jeff Becerra dude had a harsher bark than the rest of the lot!

And you are also telling me that you don't see any Morbid Angel influence in the album "Enjoy the Violence", yet you have never actually listened to it?

Of course the first Massacra record is more of a "Pleasure to Kill" type of record, but, seriously, try out the second record!

I've never said it was a better record than "Altars". "Altars" is a masterpiece that stands above everything else. But if you do play "Enjoy the Violence" next to it, you would catch the influence. I am pretty sure. As a matter of fact, it's not one of my crazy theories. [emoji3]

No, I'm not saying that at all. What I'm saying is that death metal is defined by the music, not the vocals, and it's the musical differences in Seven Churches that separate it from thrash metal as the first death metal album more than the vocals. That's not to say that death metal vocals aren't part and parcel to the music on display, but they're nowhere near as defining as the riffs, melodic/chord progressions, and the songwriting. You're right about me shooting from the hip with Massacra, it was my assumption that much wouldn't have changed in the year between Final Holocaust and Enjoy the Violence. I know that you weren't trying to assert that it was a better album, just one influenced by it, and I'm sure it probably was just like any other death metal album of the time. I tend to see this type of statement accompanied by a more myopic view of the progression of death metal, so that's why I responded that way.

Good discussion either way, glad to have you here for it. We have needed a good new user to jump-start some posting again.

21 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said: Wow reading my last post back it was a bit confrontational wasn't it? 

Your post was alright, I was just waiting for an excuse to put some badass cd's on my bed. One of my favorite leisure activities [emoji3]

I usually take photos of them on my amp head in my band room if I have something to showcase. It can be more fun than it sounds, TBH. It was a nice set of CDs, I still need that To the Gory End and Enjoy the Violence (obviously).

In the interests of saving space my cds are all in a cd folder and the cases in a box laying in our shed. I'd pull them out for a photo but there are some fucking monstrous spiders and being a massive arachnophobe it's a massive nope the fuck outta there moment.

Fuckin' Australia.

We have a resident spider (not a redback mercifully) that nightly sets up a huge web nearly across our front path. It's a beast of a spider. Every time I go out at night I put my phone's light on to make sure the spider hasn't shifted its position to go straight across the path. It's done that in the past. If you approach Castle Requiem proceed with extreme caution. 

All this talk of CD photos has given me an idea. I'm going to photograph my entire collection and post it somewhere here. That'd be pretty cool. Let's all do that. 

We have a resident spider (not a redback mercifully) that nightly sets up a huge web nearly across our front path. It's a beast of a spider. Every time I go out at night I put my phone's light on to make sure the spider hasn't shifted its position to go straight across the path. It's done that in the past. If you approach Castle Requiem proceed with extreme caution. 

All this talk of CD photos has given me an idea. I'm going to photograph my entire collection and post it somewhere here. That'd be pretty cool. Let's all do that. 

I did that once. Not with detail of the whole thing, that would be quite the chore.

IMAG0715.jpg