Your favorite death metal bands?

DeliverUsToEvil

• 4 weeks later...
I like Hate Eternal quite a lot.

Pretty standard Death/Grindcore stuff, doesn't push the boundaries of the subgenre whatsoever, but they do what they do well.

Fell in love with their first album Conquering the Throne.

There's no grindcore in their sound that I can hear, just Morbid Angel styled death metal taken to one of its logical extremes. Their debut is my favorite too, but King of All Kings and I, Monarch are still enjoyable to listen to from time to time.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've got mixed feelings about death metal. It's always been around the periphery of my metal experience but I've never been dedicated to it. 

My favourite 'traditional' death metal bands are definitely Dismember, Morbid Angel, Carcass and Nile. 

But.. and this is where the purists turn in their graves, I am obsessed - obsessed - with the new wave of orchestral death metal like Septic Flesh and Fleshgod Apocalypse. I simply cannot believe how grand, epic and moving their last three or four albums are. I won't go on about them here though because for some reason they seem to really irk the denim and leather set who say death metal died after the first Obituary album. 

I'm not a fan of that style but taste is a funny thing isn't it? Typically I prefer the old school sound of bands like Death, Obituary, Morgoth, and Autopsy. The sound of bands like Incantation, Cryptopsy, Nile etc also appeals. Then there's melodeath like early Arch Enemy and Anata. Bottom line I think DM is hugely versatile and there's something for everyone. Even today there's phenomenal material out there like Grave Miasma and Ulcerate.

10 hours ago, Requiem said:

I've got mixed feelings about death metal. It's always been around the periphery of my metal experience but I've never been dedicated to it. 

My favourite 'traditional' death metal bands are definitely Dismember, Morbid Angel, Carcass and Nile. 

But.. and this is where the purists turn in their graves, I am obsessed - obsessed - with the new wave of orchestral death metal like Septic Flesh and Fleshgod Apocalypse. I simply cannot believe how grand, epic and moving their last three or four albums are. I won't go on about them here though because for some reason they seem to really irk the denim and leather set who say death metal died after the first Obituary album. 

...not to indulge in any broad stereotypes about people who wear denim and leather. :D FWIW, anecdotally, I see that kind of purism more with black metal and thrash than I do with DM, even the guys I know that play the hyper-specific in-the-box stuff seem very open minded. I will say, though, your "traditional" DM picks are very different from mine.

I actually love newer Septic Flesh, as well as their first couple of albums. "The Ophidian Wheel" was my introduction to them as a teenager, but I don't dig it as much as several other albums of theirs these days. They've definitely embraced the modern side of DM in recent years, but I think they're still working with the same ideas they had in the early 90s. 

7 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

...not to indulge in any broad stereotypes about people who wear denim and leather. :D FWIW, anecdotally, I see that kind of purism more with black metal and thrash than I do with DM, even the guys I know that play the hyper-specific in-the-box stuff seem very open minded. I will say, though, your "traditional" DM picks are very different from mine.

I actually love newer Septic Flesh, as well as their first couple of albums. "The Ophidian Wheel" was my introduction to them as a teenager, but I don't dig it as much as several other albums of theirs these days. They've definitely embraced the modern side of DM in recent years, but I think they're still working with the same ideas they had in the early 90s. 

If only the metal brethren were as tolerant and inclusive as you PapaWhite. Sorry... FatherAlabaster. Maybe I'm just conflating the few negative experiences I've had online and elsewhere with really hard line death metallers. You're a good egg FA.  

Awww, shucks. You seem ok too. :)

My username comes from a song I wrote roughly thirteen years ago about my grandfather, who was hospitalized with Parkinson's. I'm typically not one to plug my own stuff, but judging by your taste, you might enjoy it - I think there's a youtube link floating around the forum somewhere.

Edit - sorry to respond quickly, in between cooking and dealing with the kiddo at the moment. My son is four, and as I've seen elsewhere, you have two daughters around the same age, so I know you understand. I've definitely run into genre puritans, but I've mostly found a lot more tolerance than negativity. Even people who start off pretty closed can come around to different sounds with enough exposure - my friends and I IRL have influenced each other a lot, coming sometimes from pretty different backgrounds. And I do try to enjoy whatever I can find, even if it's a quick dip in the pond rather than a deep dive. But, if you want to see me be close-minded, just start talking about Dark Tranquillity after "The Mind's I"! :D

• 1 month later...

GUYS I'M HAVING A CRISIS!

There was a song I listen to sometimes. But it wasn't on my apple music account so I was listening it on youtube. it was similar to cannibal corpse. i mean genre/ style. i remember the lyrics a little but could not be able to find the song and it got stuck on my head:/ i have to find it so there is the lyrics i remember:

if I don't kill a f*cker now, I'll carve myself till I passed out. 

And it goes with something like

An axe...

A knife..

in a nutshell please help me !

if there is anyone who knows this song or have an opinion on what it might be pretty pretty please help me!!

thanks anyway and sorry for my bad language i am not native.

Death metal is a pretty broad genre, much more so than most give it credit for, even devout fans. I like something from nearly all sides of it, but my tastes tend to gravitate toward the more original and weird bands that the genre has produced.

Based on your other listening preferences, I'm not surprised by you favoring modern Septic Flesh and Fleshgod Apocalypse. Some of it tends to come off as a bit pompous to me, and most of it is mixed and mastered like shit, brickwalling everything into a squeaky clean plastic package with no dynamic range. It gives me a headache. Well, some of it anyway, I do like some of Septic Flesh's new stuff. Not as much as Mystic Places of Dawn or Ophidian Wheel, but they're doing a good job of making their new sound work all the same.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

My fave are the classic bands, the initiators. Death (the first four) and Morbid Angel (the first two) above all.

When it comes to "lesser" bands, I am fan of Cancer's "Death Shall Rise" with mr Murphy on lead guitar and Massacra's "Enjoy the Violence".

I cannot consider myself an expert of death metal, but these are records which I proudly spent my money on.

34 minutes ago, Skull_Kollektor said:

My fave are the classic bands, the initiators. Death (the first four) and Morbid Angel (the first two) above all.

When it comes to "lesser" bands, I am fan of Cancer's "Death Shall Rise" with mr Murphy on lead guitar and Massacra's "Enjoy the Violence".

I cannot consider myself an expert of death metal, but these are records which I proudly spent my money on.

All excellent choices.

I prefer "To The Gory End" where Cancer are concerned but "Death Shall Rise" is great too.

I recall picking up Massacra "Enjoy The Violence" for the first time in a while last year and found it had not aged well in my ears.  Shame because at the time of its release it was very well received.

14 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

All excellent choices.

I prefer "To The Gory End" where Cancer are concerned but "Death Shall Rise" is great too.

I recall picking up Massacra "Enjoy The Violence" for the first time in a while last year and found it had not aged well in my ears.  Shame because at the time of its release it was very well received.

Thank you! I am also very fond of "To the Gory End". I prefer their sophomore because I love Murphy's proficiency!

As for Massacra, I agree with you and I consider it to be an "Altars" wannaabe... which is fine for me, because they pull it off pretty well!

14 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said: All excellent choices.

Thank you! I am also very fond of "To the Gory End". I prefer their sophomore because I love Murphy's proficiency!

As for Massacra, I agree with you and I consider it to be an "Altars" wannaabe... which is fine for me, because they pull it off pretty well!

I disagree, Massacra was more of a death/thrash band than a worshiper of the blasphemous and forward thinking death metal styling of Altars of Madness.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I've never been huge on DM, but I can easily say Morbid Angel is my favorite, especially Alters of Madness. I could listen to that album a million times. I tend to like real early old school stuff. I often like DM mixed with other genres, like death/doom. diSEMBOWELMENT are incredible. I hate Cannibal Corpse, they're redundant and boring as fuck. Some Nile is cool, love the song Chapter for Transforming into a Snake. I hate melodeath, as to me it sounds like mellow death, and if there's one thing DM should not be, it's mellow.