Welcome to Metal Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to stalk this  
Stalkers 0
dilatedmind

Good folk metal bands?

89 posts in this topic

Recently discovered bands like Tengger Cavalry, They play according themselves Nomadic Folk Metal, Mongolian/Chinese theme, as far as i understood.

"Black Magic Fools" is a different Medieval Metal Band! They recently released a new Video for "A Jester's Confession".

I don't like many folk metal bands, as I hate this modern style of jolly singing and lyrics about beer and trolls. But from the newer stuff I like polish Radogost (especially debut, the second album is not as good and is written in english). Well, and classics like Otyg, Temnozor, Tyr, Waylander, some Korpiklaani and Shaman stuff (mainly debut album, when their music wasn't just about drinking). Hmm, and for me Arkona and Falkenbach are not folk-metal - more like pagan or epic metal. But anyway - I worship Falkenbach and like Arkona.

Oh, and Skyforger! I love their music. I think they fit this folk metal style, even if their previous stuff is closer to pagan metal, or even black metal.

Re: Good folk metal bands?

Oh' date=' and Skyforger! I love their music. I think they fit this folk metal style, even if their previous stuff is closer to pagan metal, or even black metal.[/quote'] I've been meaning to check them out for a while, could you recommend a good starting point? Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm really enjoying Skalmold's Born Loka record at the mo. It is pretty much Viking folk metal, there are some very obvious nods to bands like Slayer, Opeth, Finntroll (who I only know 1 song by but I hear echoes of it here) , Amon Amarth, but they make it all their own, very distinct atmosphere. The vocalist sounds like some mad Norse holy man shouting incantations over a battle which pretty much makes the album. Definately more dark and disturbing than jolly.

@BlutAusNerd I started to listen to them when I've heard "Thunderforge" for the first time. So maybe you should start with that? But every Skyforger's album is a bit different, so if you won't like the one just try another one :) The older releases are more black metal, more raw and the last one Kurbads is highly influenced by traditional heavy metal and hard rock, mixed with some black elements and big dose of folk. Thunderforge is something between.

Shit, someone beat me to recommending Tengger Cavalry.

Well, if you haven't listened yet, do it. Folk metal complete with throat singing and Mongolian themes, where can you go wrong?