Welcome to Metal Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to stalk this  
Stalkers 0
dilatedmind

Good folk metal bands?

89 posts in this topic

I'm looking to expand my knowledge of the Folk Metal scene and get to know some new bands. Can you guys suggest any?

Re: Good folk metal bands? yes of course.Korpiklaani and Eluveitie are the best folk metal bands i had ever listen to ! :D:D:D

Re: Good folk metal bands? Thats the one i listened to and hated however it was funny to see a metal band with an acordium:L

Re: Good folk metal bands? Eluveite and Korpiklaani are really good, also Ensiferum and Lumsk (some of it, they can get a bit too folky I think).

Re: Good folk metal bands?

owhh' date='why ??? i like one of their song :VODKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o[/quote'] That song is fucking funny man xD

Re: Good folk metal bands? Equilibrium, Ensiferum, Finntroll, Korpiklaani, Wintersun, Týr, Crimfall.. And the list goes on!

ahahahhahaha,yehahhhh. xD think that song's MV is my most favorite among all of Korpiklaani MV! :)

ahahahhahaha' date='yehahhhh. xD think that song's MV is my most favorite among all of Korpiklaani MV! :)[/quote'] I really like the video for Metsamies. It's just so cheerful and folky. Other than Finntroll and Korpiklaani, Eluveitie is one of my favorite folk metal bands. The vocals are a bit more heavy than others, but it sounds good. Elvenking is okay as well.

Re: Good folk metal bands? Does Turisas not count as folk metal? it's a bit more epic and theatrical than say, Tyr, but the elements are all there.

Re: Good folk metal bands? Depends on the region. There are folk metal bands for almost any ancient culture you want to pick. I'd say people have got the Finnish folk scene and Celtic folk metal pretty well covered, although I didn't see Cruachan pop up. South America: there isn't much here, but Peruvian bands seem the most authentic. Chaska is my favorite. They're a folk/death combo. Celtic areas: Folkstone is an Italian band, but their bagpipes are pretty authentic. They sound like they're directly from the Highland games. Other than that, fairly typical folk metal fare. Leaves' Eyes new album Meredead has a lot of Celtic and apparently Old English influences. Viking/Norse Pagan: Svartsot is great: they have penny-whistles and immensely folky, powerful guitars mated to brutal death growling. Heljareyga is a side project of Heri Joensen from Tyr, ostensibly with a viking flavor. Heidevolk, while Dutch and Saxon, still qualifies as Norse pagan since they mention Wodan and Donar, which seem to be variants of Oden and Thor. Plus they bring clean vocals into folk metal, WHICH NO ONE SEEMS TO DO. Eastern Europe: Oddly enough, my favorite one from here is a very little-known group called Oskord; they use flutes as their prime folk instrument. Middle East: Narjahanam, Arsames, Orphaned Land, Melechesh, Myrath (a bit more progressive). Refer to the 'arab metal' thread for more about these. East Asia: Shangren is a Chinese group which does actually sound Chinese. I can't name the instruments but check them out anyway. Rudra is a powerful black metal assault from Singapore who sings about some history in the area. Alchemist, from Australia, uses dijeridoos in one song, Austral Spectrum. Dijeridoo is an Australian aborigine instrument. Africa: Sorry...nothing south of the Sahara. :(

Re: Good folk metal bands? fejd,arkona,in extremo,manegarm,corvus corax,korpiklaani,folkearth,waylander....these are my fav. enjoy guys \m/ (-/-) \m/

Re: Good folk metal bands? I'm from the same city as Folkstone and I can ensure you that the bagpipes are local instruments with different technique from scottish and nordic ones

Re: Good folk metal bands? So do you play bagpipes? I've been to several Highland games and the bagpipes sounded very similar to Folkstone's to me, especially on Briganti Di Montagna.

I don't like Korpiklani...
i agree, im a huge Folk fan and have been since Skyclad gave birth to the genre. but Korpiklani just dont do it for me at all!

Re: Good folk metal bands? the functional principle of the instrument is obviously the same, but exploring Bergamo's old-men-music panorama you could find many long bearded groups that play the baghet, wich is the name of the local bagpipe, with traditional repertory and sound, different from more "northern" cousins. Folkstone also draw from this kind of repertory: never forget, though, that our ancestors date back to celts, so there are many similarities. EDIT: You're free to call me a fool, i just assumed Folkstone to have more patriotic pride :) and also I didn't see the termination of the main bass of their bagpipes, as NOW i can call them bagpipes, wich is much wider than Baghèt's one. Sorry!

Re: Good folk metal bands? Not to worry, you've got a lot more analytical knowledge of the physics behind these instruments than I do...I did suspect a Celtic link to be the explanation for the bagpipes.

Re: Good folk metal bands? Ensiferum is the best folk metal band out there, IMO. I mean, Can you even THINK about anything cooler than a Banjo/Guitar solo ? cO4QqaoFuso Epic solo at 6:00.