Megadeth & Metallica

MegaBread

I'm a die hard Metallica fan so of course I'll be going with Metallica on that one. Metallica have been a big of my life, I grew up hearing them, they were that band that got me into metal and opened doors to other bands who I now listen to, I love the atmosphere when they play live, their whole following of loyal fans that they have, being a part of of their crowd and everything else that comes with them. I like Megadeth too, I've seen them both play live. It's a personal opinion but on top of that personal talk I do prefer Metallica's back catalougue and overall sound to Megadeth. I think that Metallica are the better band.

it was just a bit too extreme for me, especially the singing, but then back in 1991 Rust In Peace made me reassess my views, the energy rush I got from that album I have never experience before. But back then I still considered Anthrax and Slayer a bit too extreme, but than again I have to give them another shot, especially considering that the older I get the more extreme music I need.

Anthrax are probably the least extreme of the so-called "big four" and their sound was heavily influential on Testament who took the more melodic elements of that soud and ran with it. Slayer aren't that extreme either compared with the likes of Kreator, Dark Angel, Morbid Saint, and bands of their ilk.

• 2 months later...

In terms of album quality, I would say that Megadeth are superior. Haven't seen these bands in perform live in person, but Metallica do seem to perform well live on video - Seattle seemed like something worth selling your soul to see. Metallica don't really fit in well with the the thrash genre as well as people seem to think, early stuff that mustaine wrote maybe but other than that - i'm not so sure. Metallica - 4 thrash(y) albums, but a bit slow for my liking. Performed live could be a different story.

In terms of album quality, I would say that Megadeth are superior. Haven't seen these bands in perform live in person, but Metallica do seem to perform well live on video - Seattle seemed like something worth selling your soul to see. Metallica don't really fit in well with the the thrash genre as well as people seem to think, early stuff that mustaine wrote maybe but other than that - i'm not so sure. Metallica - 4 thrash(y) albums, but a bit slow for my liking. Performed live could be a different story.
The songs were varied in pacing, but people seem to forget about tracks like Damage Inc., Disposable Heroes, Trapped Under Ice, etc... where they really picked up the pace. They were definitely thrash, pioneering the bay area sound that so many followed.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Guys, like I said in some other thread, I recently bought the first album by Great White, which came out in 1982, and I was shocked to hear that they had a song whose intro sounds ridiculously close to the intro of "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)"!

Check it out:

I knew beforehand that the rest of "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" had been lifted from this other tune, but I used to think that at least the opening arrangement was Metallica's... man, was I wrong!

• 2 months later...

As Metallica are my favorite band - i will always say Metallica in this argument. I do like Megadeth however - especially their newer material. I always found Dave Mustaine to be too whiny in his vocal delivery and Het has a much stronger voice in my opinion. However i take nothing away from Dave Mustaine's guitar playing which is phenomenal!

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

They are quite different bands actually in their musical style actually I think. I can understand the comparisons since Dave Mustaine kicked out from Metallica and their feud was an attractive one. Yet, although they are all thrash bands in the beginning, they had different roads in the end and Megadeth is kind of a solo project of Dave Mustaine while in Metallica, except bass guitarists, the members are the same. I listened Megadeth more than Metallica since I prefer their musical style over Metallica, I think Mustaine is a genius but that doesn't mean I hate Metallica, I started to listen metal music with Metallica. Turn the Page still has a different place in my heart since it was the first song I listened in metal music. I think both bands have great stuff and we are lucky to have those such great bands. I think metal gods are happy to have both!

• 1 year later...

I prefer Metallica over Megadeth. I think Metallica has more legendary hits in their best albums. But I do have a question about the decline of both bands in the 90's. It is my perception that Megadeth fans are not as bothered by Megadeth's change in style in the 90's (starting with Countdown and all the way to Risk) as Metallica fans (and haters) are about Metallica's decline. Does anybody have any explanation? Is it something different in the audience for each band?

In my opinion, Megadeth's decline was slower but it was much worse, they went in a pop metal/pop rock direction, whereas Metallica went in a more blues rock direction, which I don't think is as bad. Even St Anger is heavy, the criticism there is due to snare sound, lack of solos, excessive repetition. Maybe the fact that Metallica reached a higher peak than Megadeth and people see a deeper decline? Why the extra hate for Metallica?

On 7/21/2020 at 1:28 PM, Primal_Enigma said:

I prefer Metallica over Megadeth. I think Metallica has more legendary hits in their best albums. But I do have a question about the decline of both bands in the 90's. It is my perception that Megadeth fans are not as bothered by Megadeth's change in style in the 90's (starting with Countdown and all the way to Risk) as Metallica fans (and haters) are about Metallica's decline. Does anybody have any explanation? Is it something different in the audience for each band?

In my opinion, Megadeth's decline was slower but it was much worse, they went in a pop metal/pop rock direction, whereas Metallica went in a more blues rock direction, which I don't think is as bad. Even St Anger is heavy, the criticism there is due to snare sound, lack of solos, excessive repetition. Maybe the fact that Metallica reached a higher peak than Megadeth and people see a deeper decline? Why the extra hate for Metallica?

Great question.

I think it's largely to do with the fact that Metallica became a household name and became the pin-up band of what selling out looks like. They went from thrash band to stadium band. Remember when 'Load' came out and they had all cut their hair, put on eyeliner, topical shirts and were smoking cigars? It was just ridiculous, and so far away from the long haired dorks who pumped out some early thrash classics. Megadeth never went in that visual direction. 

Megadeth, on the other hand, were a little different. 'Countdown to Extinction' and 'Youthanasia' were metal albums, and really good ones. They kept the ball rolling a little longer. While a lot of people do seem to enjoy 'Cryptic Writings' if they grit their teeth (like me), there is a heap of shit shovelled on 'Risk'. And they struggled to recover, as even now the albums are met with the same degree of hot/cold responses.

So I think they both travelled a similar trajectory, although Megadeth's smaller fanbase seems to have come around to albums like 'Dystopia'. I haven't, and while I was a fan of both bands in the early 90s I now don't buy any of their albums. Megadeth's songwriting today, though, is so much better than Metallica's. It's strange that the apprentice has now become the master. 

Metallica suck so much these days. Damn, it's just incredible. No one can understand why a band who created 'Ride', 'Master', 'Justice', and 'Black' ended up doing what they're doing for the next 30 years. It's ridiculous. 

Thanks for ruining my weekend....