Harsh Vocals....

Motorthroat

Any tips on training my throat and voice for Harsh Vocals? I'd specifically like to train my voice to sound a bit like Brendon Small from Dethklok. So far I'm about halfway there. Also, anyone got any ideas on any other genres Harsh vocals can be used for apart from Death Metal?

Re: Harsh Vocals.... it's actually a really complicated thing at first, nobody really knows what they're being taught when they first start learning, but it's all about pushing air out from your diaphragm . . . but not the diaphragm that's just under your lungs, the diaphragm that's closer to your gut, not a lot of people know you have 2. you can do a little test to see if you're doing it right by putting your index finger and your middle finger over your throat, if it vibrates when you scream you're using too much lungs and not enough diaphragm, it's the same for clean vocals aswell

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Harsh Vocals.... Ive been training my voice for about 9 months, and Ill tell you, the dethklok voice is *NOT* a natural sound. there are a number of effects used on the voice, and it is layered. But, to get as close a sound as possible, try doing a regular scream while letting a bass note in with a sort of whisper sound in it. contract your throat, but not too much, as you dont want to hurt yourself! give it a few months before you get a good sound out of it, then you'll only improve.

Re: Harsh Vocals....

Ive been training my voice for about 9 months' date=' and Ill tell you, the dethklok voice is *NOT* a natural sound. there are a number of effects used on the voice, and it is layered. But, to get as close a sound as possible, try doing a regular scream while letting a bass note in with a sort of whisper sound in it. contract your throat, but not too much, as you dont want to hurt yourself! give it a few months before you get a good sound out of it, then you'll only improve.[/quote'] i wouldn't advise doing it with your throat, but if it works without killing you then go ahead :) i'm just going by what would happen to me if i tried it :L

Forgot to mention that I do inward vocals' date=' and that at the moment, my voice isn't strong enough to actually scream. I only do growls.[/quote'] Doing inwards vocals will probably shag your voice more in the long run, plus they sound really gimmicky after a while. Putting all that strain on your contracted throat isn't very good for you and you'll diminish the more you play. Your best bet is to just practice your outward vocals, screams and grunts and figure out first where your natural harsh register lies- some people are naturally high, some low, some mid and shouty, etc. From there it becomes easier to experiment because you have a base value to work from.

Re: Harsh Vocals.... My only advice is do what I did. Keep practicing, sing along with all of your bands, the way they are doing, for as long as they did it (in studio/iPod version of a song). Drink tea, omit soda and other vocal deteriants. The sound comes from your chest, not your throat, by the way. Your throat is like the amp, while your chest is the guitar. Practice makes perfect.

My only advice is do what I did. Keep practicing' date=' sing along with all of your bands, the way they are doing, for as long as they did it (in studio/iPod version of a song). Drink tea, omit soda and other vocal deteriants. The sound comes from your chest, not your throat, by the way. Your throat is like the amp, while your chest is the guitar. Practice makes perfect.[/quote'] that's really good advice but i would leave out the tea :P unless you leave it to cool for an hour or two :L that's just what would work for me :)

Re: Harsh Vocals.... Have you heard of Melissa Cross - Zen of Screaming? She has trained vocalists such as Lamb of God, Arch Enemy and the like, she has DVDs taking you from simple warm ups for before a gig to pushing your limits. Try a deep hum to start with, this will show you where you're producing the delivery from.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re: Harsh Vocals.... Whoops. Been away a long while. Thanks for all the advice guys. What I'm doing at the moment is using my inward growls, because I can actually do them, but still practicing outward to strengthen my voice. I can almost get a scream in, but I can't do deep growls when I do outward.

Re: Harsh Vocals.... How do you growl inward? The only things I can do inward are croaks and squeals. But I only use those for singing along with some bands at shows. Outward growls were the easiest for me to learn. Highs were and are still not where I'd like them.

How do you growl inward? The only things I can do inward are croaks and squeals. But I only use those for singing along with some bands at shows. Outward growls were the easiest for me to learn. Highs were and are still not where I'd like them.
inward vocals are NEVER a good idea, taking sharp intakes of breath in large amounts over a period of about 1 hour does HORRIFIC damage to your lungs :L if you can find a technique where you don't use your lungs then go ahead :) i know it's possible i just wouldn't try it unless i knew that i wasn't going to be using my lungs