Metallica - 72 Seasons

Dead1

Just heard Metallica's new album 72 Seasons at the cinema.

And it is essentially another Hardwired - couple of good tracks and a ton of filler qnd a couple of shot ones (inclidong one that sounded like an illformed demo).

Good tracks sound like Diamond Head, filler and shit ones like Load/Reload era with some third rate Black Sabbath riffs.

On the upside they let Kirk and Rob go off a bit more.

I stopped listening to Metallica when the Black Album came out. Load and Reload, I don't know them at all. The same goes for St Anger.

I started to be interested in the band when Death Magnetic came out but I was still not satisfied. I found a band that didn't really know how to put together a good song without patching together riffs without me really knowing why.

With Hardwired, I felt the same thing again.

With the 3 tracks I listened to from 72 Seasons, same thing. A riff starts the song and the band stretches it step by step to give another riff and we start again.

I used to be a crazy fan of this band. But that's behind me.

I wish fun to all the fans of the band! I sincerely hope you will enjoy 72 Seasons.

Enjoy ! 🤘🏻

As usual Metallica separates a lot of people. I don't hate any of the songs I've heard but to me they also aren't songs that I'll be rushing to hear again.

I forgot about the cinema release, which even us boon doggies in the country could have seen at the local cinema (which is about 30 mins away) and it was reasonably priced. (reasonable in that it was the same cost as a normal movie)

I'm not sure how I'd go sitting in a cinema listening to a song, then listening to one of the Metalli-dudes talk, then another song, then more talk. No doubt the sound would be pretty good on a cinema sound system but all that talk from people I don't particularly like does seem a bit like torture.

On 4/14/2023 at 11:53 AM, JorKid said:

I heard the title track a few times on Sirius's Liquid Metal channel while visiting my family in Washington.  It is a huge meh.  I don't think I'll bother listening to more.

What the fuck did you expect? Have the last 32 years of shit albums marketed under the Metallica brand not clued you into the fact that they are creatively bankrupt? These dudes couldn't song write their way out of a wet paper bag. They make albums periodically every decade or so now as investments which I'm sure given their massive mainstream fanbase provides them with a fantastic and very enviable ROI, but they certainly don't add anything to their lacklustre musical legacy.

I haven't bothered checking out more than 30 seconds of a new Metallica album since the egregiously inexcusable hairy magnetic vagina album that sucked syphilitic puss-filled cock but yet somehow their legions of clueless fanbois still ardently defended it as some kind of a half-assed return to form. Simps.

2 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Apart from the length I don't see anything terribly bad with it for a Metallica album.

Is the fact that you had to qualify that statement with "for a Metallica album" completely lost on you? That's like saying "I don't think he runs that terribly slow for an 86 year old one-legged man."

And yes it's true that I have not heard one single note of their new 72 ways to die album. But given their abysmal track record and the early reports that I've seen I really don't need to hear it to know that it sucks.

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

Must be lost on me because for a Metallica album I don't think it's too bad. As an ABBA album it's fucking terrible and as a Darkthrone album it would probably be terrible too, but for a Metallica album it's okay.

So are you saying that you put them in their own special category where they'll only ever have to be compared to themselves or maybe just to some other washed up old has-beens so that way whatever they do won't seem quite as terrible? And you do this because you know that if they had to face up to comparisons with any other possibly younger heavy metal bands or any active heavy metal bands that are actually good, their supposed peers in other words, then they'd come up severely lacking? That's one way to deny reality I guess. 

Not that I care what you or anyone else wants to listen to, that's your/their business. I just find it really sad and a bit pathetic to continually hear/read people making excuses for not just Metallica, and not just Anthrax, Slayer and Megadick, but any of these older legacy bands from decades past that were once great and then weren't anymore, haven't been for a long time, and never will be again.

Blind unconditional band loyalty that I see so many metal fans exhibit has just never made any sense to me. So many bands will continue to get praised for shit they did 20 or 30 or even 40 years ago while their fans blithely ignore all the garbage albums they've released since. Or worse, they'll convince themselves the albums are really not all that bad just because the band's brand name is on the cover. In my mind a band is only as good as their last album or two, and once they've shit the bed I put then on probation. If they soil the sheets a second time then I get out of town as fast as I can, lose their number and almost never look back. 

22 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Apart from the length I don't see anything terribly bad with it for a Metallica album.

There was a bit of filler IMO.

If you took the good songs from Hardwired and 72 Seasons you'd have an excellent album instead of 2 crappy/mediocre ones.

Also James wanted it called Lux Aeterna too which is a far better name than 72 Seasons which sounds like some ensemble romantic comedy or hotel chain.

EDIT Also I hate James' modern vocals.

All I said was that it was okay for a Metallica album

oops I thought I was a broken record.

If 72 seasons had to be so long and 72 seasons actually meant enough to name the album after it they should have made the album 72 mins long, it's not like they couldn't have found 5 minutes of filler to take out.

I was kind of surprised to hear James say he wanted to name it Lux. The whole first 18 years of life. I wasn't my own person for 18 years. I blame my parents for everything I became except the successful bits. Woe the fuck is me! Has been James' whole mantra for the last decade, 72 Seasons fits with that better than Lux does, as do most of the songs on the album.

4 hours ago, Dead1 said:

If you took the good songs from Hardwired and 72 Seasons you'd have an excellent album instead of 2 crappy/mediocre ones.

Also I hate James' modern vocals.

Somehow I have trouble believing this. Admittedly I have not heard either album,  although I think I did check out maybe just a minute or two's worth of 2 or 3 tracks when Hardwired first came out. Can't say I remember exactly what they sounded like 'cause it was 7 years ago now, all I can really remember taking away from that experience was that I thought as expected the songs were not very good and apparently James really can't sing worth a shit anymore. 

Just my opinion obviously, but I don't think you could make an excellent album even if you could pull songs from everything they've done going all the way back 32 years ago to the black album. But then I suppose it really all depends on your definition of "excellent." To my way of thinking nothing I've heard from them has truly excelled since a handful of tracks on AJFA (Blackened, Frayed Ends, Harvester).

Well there was Wherever I May Roam too I guess, I always really liked that one song off their S/T for some reason (as well as Sandman which I've since grown weary of). Nothing at all redeemable about Load but there were a few tunes off Reload that I thought were alright (Better Than You, Slither, Devil's Dance) but still nothing to write home about, nothing I could truly call excellent, and the majority of the rest of that album was insufferable. St. Anger was a total shit show so I've done my best to block it out of my mind. After that came 2006's Death Magnetic, their supposed "return to form" which was no such thing, it was another total piece of crap and then I just gave up and washed my hands of them at that point. Nothing of the several minutes of Hardwired I heard did anything to change my mind, so unless 72 Screamers is chocka full of bangers I don't see where you'd be able to get enough tracks to make an "excellent" album from. 

Oh wait I'm forgetting about that 4 Leaf Clover song from their symphony album. I really liked that one at the time too, think that might be the last excellent thing I heard from them and that was 24 years ago now.

Fair enough.

For me:

1. Load - has some truly excellent songs (Outlaw Torn is one of my favourite tracks) but a fair whack of filler

2. Reload - total filler.  

3. St Anger - yeah fuck this album.  Catastrophic pile of shit.

4. Death Magnetic - decent album marred by poor production and lack of editing

5. Hardwired - first half was decent to good, second half Load/Reload era filler bar one song.  

6. 72 Seasons - an improvement over Hardwired but still full of filler.

I'll also go far as to say Black album was overall better than AJFA.  AJFA had shit production and a complete lack of editing (eg there was no reason the title track needed to be nearly 10 minutes long).

Metallica's first 3 are where it's at for me - KEA, RTL, MOP. And those 3 are just phenomenal.  

Oh and as much as I love Megadeth over Metallica, the new Metallica album has a far better sound.  Megadeth last two are too mechanical and sterile.

Agree that AJFA was not by any means a great album, even setting aside the production issues which I didn't think were quite as bad as everyone made them out to be, the songs were way too long and half of them weren't very good anyway, even if they would have edited them down to be a bit shorter. Could've skipped the title track altogether afaic. Actually out of disc one I would have only kept Blackened and shit canned all the rest. And then that Dear Mother Dear Father song at the very end, wtf were they thinking? I fucking hate that song. Harvester was the one redeeming song on Justice that I'd consider top notch, but the album was still listenable if you skipped a few tracks. Without Harvester I'd consider it not worth buying.

But on the other hand the Black album was fucking terrible. An absoute abomination. I don't care what sub-genre it is, I don't give a fuck about Bob Rock, I don't care that they cut their hair, my problem was all the songs (save the two I previously mentioned) just flat out fucking sucked. It's like they woke up one day and couldn't write good songs anymore. Mystifies me that so many people claim they like Sad But True, I fucking hate that song with a passion along with all the rest of them on that album. And believe me in '91 I tried pretty damn hard to get into that album, but I just couldn't. When Horrorscope dropped a few weeks later in September we literally forgot all albout the stupid black album after that.

But I agree Metallica's peak was RtL and then Master was still very good but a noticeable step down (imo) with a couple of skippers on there (Damage Inc, TTTSNB) and then they just went to shit after that. 

Megadick has sucked for so long that I honestly have trouble remembering back to a time when I liked them. Peace Sells is the ony one of theirs I would have ever considered to be a great album. SFSGSW, RIP and Countdown all had their moments, but all were chocka with filler tracks. After Countdown all you got from Dave was a song here and a song there. I always thought people liked Megadick for all the shredding, they certainly play a lot of fucking notes. But I'm not one for shredding, I want thick chunky headbangable riffs. If you can work a memorable guitar solo in somewhere then great, but I need those chunky riffs. Personally I preferred Kirk's style of soloing back in the 80's better than MegaDave and all his hired gunslingers. I still think Kirk's solo on the title track of RtL is one of the best metal guitar solos I've ever heard. I'd choose all the RtL and MoP solos over all the solos on RIP or anything Megadick's crew ever spit out. I don't give bonus points for playing more notes.

44 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

On my second listening, it's Ok.  I don't hate this album. 

EDIT: Actually it's quite decent.  I am gonna do something I never do and say this is their best album in 30 years.

No it's not MOP or RTL or even Black.  But it's good.

You're gonna end up making me go listen to this fucking thing aren't you? And then I'm gonna be pissed at you when I hate it as if it was your fault haha.

Goatmaster, you will fucking hate it with a passion! 

As for Black album I have it cause it's a sellout album but actually enjoy it as a decent commercial heavy metal album (though there is filler on it).

I think if any other band did Black album, most of us would not have been so offended by it.

The Black album is alright. I might listen to it once or twice a year as it goes around in the car and maybe once or twice a year when I reach for the CD. I don't think I'd want to listen to it any more but a few times a year is enough

33 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

I think if any other band did Black album, most of us would not have been so offended by it.

I think if any other band did any of the Metallica albums since 2000 there would be less people offended by them.

7 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Goatmaster, you will fucking hate it with a passion! 

As for Black album I have it cause it's a sellout album but actually enjoy it as a decent commercial heavy metal album (though there is filler on it).

I disagree. I do know lots of people who say they hated it because it wasn't the thrash album they had been expecting at that point, we were all hoping for a rebound and return to form after the bloated and chuggy AJFA. But I don't care about that. I listened to lots of stuff besides just thrash in 1991. Shit, I was head over heels in love with Alice in Chains' Facelift in 1990/91 and that's far from thrash. I could have absolutely accepted a more commercial heavy metal album from them in 1991 if the songs had been good - but the songs weren't good! Go look down the track list, Sandman is catchy and commercial but horribly overplayed at this point. Still it has a good catchy chorus, it's objectivelly a good song even if I'm tired of hearing it now. I've always loved Wherever I May Roam as I said, but that's it, the rest of that record blows. Can you tell me one other good catchy memorable song from that album? (Sad But True is memorable but I hate it) I think every single riff in every single song on that record sucks except for those two. The whole fucking thing is essentially filler. I would seriously rank Reload ahead of the Black Album, that's how much I hate it. I don't consider it a sellout album as much as just a fluke. How and why it took off the way it did sales-wise I'll never understand. I suspect it's from years of nonstop touring that built them into the juggernaut they became in the 90's. Moreso than the actual quality of any of their material after 1986. They had enough live staples taken from the first three albums that they could afford to fit in some of their weaker, lamer material from the later albums to please their new fans who only knew the shitty radio songs and still have a good enough set to send their older headbanger fans home happy. That's my theory anyway.

21 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Exit light

Enter Night

Take my hand

We're off to never neverland

What a classic!! Just brilliant!

Yeah the lyrics are stupid (but who pays any attention to heavy metal lyrics?) but the melody was an earworm, that was a catchy song. I remember coming home from work many evenings back then and one of my roommates Tony would be sitting in the living room with my guitar on his knee, playing that song over and over on my stereo, trying to work out the riff.

2 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Outlaw Torn is one of my favourite tracks

I honestly don't even remember this song. I've probably only played Load 3 times ever, all of them in 1996.

Metallica: The Outlaw Torn (Mannheim, Germany - August 25, 2019)