Did the appearance and media breakthrough of Master of Puppets in Stranger Things upset you?

AdamGavriely

Did the appearance and media breakthrough of Master of Puppets in Stranger Things upset you?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. How were you feeling when watching the Master of Puppets scene for the first time?

• I was super excited
    • I was glad
    • It was okay, I guess...
    • Ehhh, didn't like it
    • It was horrible
  2. 2. How do you feel about its breakthrough into the media and mainstream?

• I'm happy more people discover metal because of it
    • I'm happy it finally gets the appreciation it deserves
    • I don't care / don't have an opinion about it
    • I'm angry at people who don't really like the song for what it is but only for appearing in some popular TV show
    • I'm upset that it became a lot more mainstream that it used to be. Thrash metal should stay in the underground and only for people who can really appreciate it.
  3. 3. If someone will hear Master of Puppets and will say "Ooh, It's that song from Stranger Things!" how will you react?

• I'll say "Yeah! It's really good, right?"
    • I'll say "It's actually a Metallica song"
    • I'll yell at them with my jet-black eyes "NO!!! YOU'RE NOT A REAL METALHEAD!!! IT'S OURS!!!!!!! YOU SHOULD HAVE NO RIGHT TO LISTEN TO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    • I'll pretend like I didn't hear them and will walk away as fast as I can

4 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

ST pre-dates nu-metal by about a decade. I don't know what ghetto is other than a location I've heard mentioned in American movies. ST have always called themselves hardcore, although no doubt plenty have sub categorised them with different releases.

You don't know what ghetto is? You don't get out much do you. Ghetto, inner-city, urban. 

Yes, they started out as a Venice Beach street hooligan hardcore band in the very beginning when all Mike wanted was a fucking Pepsi. I owned and really liked their first album from 1983 once upon a time. But then as the 80's unfolded I think they tried to go from hardcore to crossover to thrash, but what actually happened was they transitioned into some kind of a cringe-worthy half-assed, nu-metally, groovy crossover skate punk band with a pronounced west coast funky/ghetto/urban flavor, or whatever you want to call it. To each his own but to me they sound like a ghetto kid who's never heard a metal album before's idea of what metal is supposed to sound like just from shit he's heard people say and from watching tv. And I have to add while Mike might be a charismatic front man he is not a good singer at all, not by any stretch, I really think he's the one who was holding them back. And why does he walk around blindfolded? He really looks like he's trying to be a Crip. But maybe the mainstreamers like that shit and think it's cool, who knows.

By the 90's (or the Trujillo years) they'd gone all the way over the edge into "alternative" metal, and when that adjective is applied to metal bands it's basically another  way of saying "nu-metal." The terms are essentially synonymous afaic. There's guitars, it kinda looks and feels a little bit like metal but yet it's really not. By '88 ST was not anything even remotely resembling a thrash band and it was only downhill from there. All that really separated ST from Limp Bizkunt by the time Rocky left in the mid 90's imo was LB had catchier songs. And that's fine for whomever might be into that kind of baggy-pantsed funky urban nu-metal thing, but count me out.

I do understand Rocky George was a very talented guitarist, and I suppose there's a big market for that kind of thing. No doubt the band still has a lot of loyal fans out there til this day. And if you're a fan Orca (I'm pretty sure our Tassie mainstream metal maven Deadovic is at least a casual ST fan too) by all means go for it dude, please continue to enjoy your ST records as much as you want, don't let me stop you. Or as much as you can stand to anyway. But as I've said thousands of times, just because something is 'heavy' and might have some good guitar work doesn't mean it's any good. These guys couldn't song-write their way out of a wet paper bag. ST fans can do whatever they want, doesn't matter to me in the slightest. But for my part, I don't have any interest or any tolerance whatsoever for that commercial alternative urban funk metal shit.

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I don't recognise any of these faces but the dude on the far left at least has the grace to look a little embarrassed. I am so glad I missed all this. 

Dude 2nd from the left in the black t-shirt and sunglasses is Dave Lombardo of Slayer fame. He played drums. Not sure, but I suspect even you might have heard of Slayer even if you weren't a rabid thrashing headbanger in the mid 80's like me and the Orca were.

Wow, that's a perfect case of 'never judge a book by it's cover'. Upon first look at the still image I thought that was going to be some crap I didn't like. After listening to it I know it's some crap I don't like.

It appears the closest I've come to nu-metal is Sepultura's Roots but apparently that's only called nu-metal by 'some people'. Apparently MegaDave said he'd rather have his eye brows pulled out than listen to nu-metal. I don't listen to everything Megadave says but I think that's enough of a warning for me to stay away.

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

Wow, that's a perfect case of 'never judge a book by it's cover'. Upon first look at the still image I thought that was going to be some crap I didn't like. After listening to it I know it's some crap I don't like.

It appears the closest I've come to nu-metal is Sepultura's Roots but apparently that's only called nu-metal by 'some people'. Apparently MegaDave said he'd rather have his eye brows pulled out than listen to nu-metal. I don't listen to everything Megadave says but I think that's enough of a warning for me to stay away.

C'mon man, I know you live in East Bum Fuck Victoria with the dingos, roos, deadly venomous snakes and a herd of cows, but you've really never heard Limp Bizkunt before?? Not even once? This is nu-metal, which is what many of us elitist types like to pejoratively compare anything that we don't like to, and what makes Megastaine pull his eyebrows out.

Limp Bizkit - Rollin'

It's Lower East Bum Fuck, and if I have heard any nu-metal it's never been by choice and I've never taken any notice of it. The only radio I listen to is the land reports and weather on the national broadcaster, but even if I had a choice there is only about 5 radio stations I can receive here. Maybe there has been times that I have heard these bands on TV but I wouldn't have known who they were and I was probably channel surfing and spending only a few seconds on each channel. I've heard that rolling rolling bit on tv adverts, but not cared enough to find out who it is or what genre it might be. So yeah maybe I have heard a hundred of these nu-metal bands before but that doesn't mean I know who they are or what they play

Yeah believe me I don't go too deep with it either because it's insufferable. I only know the names of some of the higher profile bands in this sub-genre but I've never actually heard any of these nu-metal bands' albums or knew anyone that had any of them or anything, (except for my buddy Jon-O it seems) I've only heard whatever crap the media put in front of my face 20-25 years ago when this shit was having its hey-day. You just sounded like you really didn't even know what it was, so now you know and we can both go back to ignoring it.

I'm regularly being told by my kids that I've heard a particular song because it's used some commercial, half the time I wont even remember the commercial they are talking about. Then one night I'll be sitting watching the TV and the ad will come on and remind me that I really have heard whatever crap is was they were talking about weeks before.

On 3/25/2023 at 1:06 AM, AlSymerz said:

Roots probably could have been ok if it was ruthlessly edited. It clocks over 70 minutes, which is twice as long as that kind of album should be. 

I recall the first Soulfly album being even wronger. A couple of decent tracks and massive amounts of self-indulgent filler. When that album came out I won a rigged competition at the local record store for a Soulfly branded t-shirt and soccer ball. 

I think its wise not to listen to anything Megadave said after 1992. Or before 1992.

10 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

Roots probably could have been ok if it was ruthlessly edited. It clocks over 70 minutes, which is twice as long as that kind of album should be. 

I recall the first Soulfly album being even wronger. A couple of decent tracks and massive amounts of self-indulgent filler. When that album came out I won a rigged competition at the local record store for a Soulfly branded t-shirt and soccer ball. 

I think its wise not to listen to anything MegaDave said after 1992. Or before 1992.

But during 1992 Dave knew what the fuck he was talking about dammit.

I've never heard Roots or Soulfly. Or played with their balls.

39 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

I think its wise not to listen to anything Megadave said after 1992. Or before 1992.

I think I own the first Soulfly album, I picked it up for only a few bucks but I don't remember it at all.

Roots is a long album but it's been a long time since I listened to it so I don't really remember it that well.

Dave dictates my bed time stories!

Roots was the first Sepultura album I had/heard.  At that time, I was only casually into metal, more into heavier side of alternative and industrial (early college days).  I think I heard the title track somewhere and picked it up out of curiosity.  It has a couple of good tracks but I couldn't get into it on the whole.     It wouldn't be to more than a decade later I got the itch to listen to Beneath the Remains and Chaos A.D., the prior being by far my favorite.    BtR is the only Sepultura album I need.

I didn't totally hate Roots but it was the last Seps album I ever bothered with. Up until Roots I'd bought each album not long after release. But then they had all those issues and the music changed and I didn't listen to them again until Quadra when people started raving about them again. I couldn't get into Quadra and never bothered with the stuff before it much either.

6 hours ago, JorKid said:

Roots was the first Sepultura album I had/heard. At that time, I was only casually into metal, more into heavier side of alternative and industrial (early college days). I think I heard the title track somewhere and picked it up out of curiosity.  It has a couple of good tracks but I couldn't get into it on the whole. It wouldn't be to more than a decade later I got the itch to listen to Beneath the Remains and Chaos A.D., the prior being by far my favorite. BtR is the only Sepultura album I need.

I don't know if it's the only one I'd ever need, but imo it certainly stands head and shoulders above all the rest of them. Funny though how I've known a lot of people who would choose Arise over BtR and that's just nuts. BtR was my first Sep album, there was a lot of buzz about this new heavy band from Brazil back in '89. Coming to Florida to have Scott Burns produce it was a good move on their part. Not because the production itself was so wonderful (it's not) but because it got the media wheels turning and gave them a higher international profile. It was like suddenly one day these kids from Brazil were thrust into the mainstream metal world's consciousness. They paved the way for a lot of other killer South American bands. Before the late 80's for us American metalheads almost all of what we listened to was either domestic or from the UK or maybe Germany. Even Scandinavia seemed like a far off exotic place for a metal band to come from back then.

One of my greatest metal regrets is never getting to see Sepultura play live back in the day. I had tickets to see them supporting Testament and Slayer in early 1991 at the Coliseum, but Igor had broken his hand and they'd dropped off the tour before the Long Island date. I've never gone to many arena shows with seats, I've always preferred to see metal bands play in clubs where it's general admission and you're up close to the stage. But I bought my ticket because I just couldn't resist that lineup. Too bad it never came to fruition.

I bought Chaos AD in '93 and I liked about half of it pretty well, I think those first two tracks at least are fantastic. Refuse/Resist really gets the old blood pumping. But on balance it's not on the same level with the albums that came before it. Guess I just lost interest after that, being a single dad and all I just had other shit on my mind. I do remember seeing Roots in the stores (tons of copies in the used bin) I'm really not sure why I never bought a copy or gave it a listen. I had done that with Venom, heard all kinds of shit about them and then bought a used copy to see what the fuss was about, and then I traded that shit right back in next trip back to the store haha.

By the time the internet rolled around it was pretty well accepted by most metalheads that Roots blew and everything after Max left was worthless. So I've never heard anything the band did after that point. Sepultura for me is basically Scizo, Beneath, Arise and Chaos, with Beneath getting probably 5 times as many spins as the other 3 combined. I'm like that with most bands. Once they've released a dud and it appears the quality has fallen off I'll generally leave a band behind and never look back. I tend to think of these old school bands as if they'd broken up right after the last album they did that I liked. I figure if any of them ever manage to make a respectable comeback attempt I'll hear about if from somebody.