Did the appearance and media breakthrough of Master of Puppets in Stranger Things upset you?

AdamGavriely

Did the appearance and media breakthrough of Master of Puppets in Stranger Things upset you?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. How were you feeling when watching the Master of Puppets scene for the first time?

• I was super excited
    • I was glad
    • It was okay, I guess...
    • Ehhh, didn't like it
    • It was horrible
  2. 2. How do you feel about its breakthrough into the media and mainstream?

• I'm happy more people discover metal because of it
    • I'm happy it finally gets the appreciation it deserves
    • I don't care / don't have an opinion about it
    • I'm angry at people who don't really like the song for what it is but only for appearing in some popular TV show
    • I'm upset that it became a lot more mainstream that it used to be. Thrash metal should stay in the underground and only for people who can really appreciate it.
  3. 3. If someone will hear Master of Puppets and will say "Ooh, It's that song from Stranger Things!" how will you react?

• I'll say "Yeah! It's really good, right?"
    • I'll say "It's actually a Metallica song"
    • I'll yell at them with my jet-black eyes "NO!!! YOU'RE NOT A REAL METALHEAD!!! IT'S OURS!!!!!!! YOU SHOULD HAVE NO RIGHT TO LISTEN TO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    • I'll pretend like I didn't hear them and will walk away as fast as I can

Maybe it's because dates are disgusting?

Freckle is common, although I don't remember too many people using an animal prefix, usually it's just freckle.

Clacker was common in some areas, ring piece as opposed to O ring, shitter was also used but it could also mean the toilet. There is probably also local terms that does escape state borders but that's all I can think off at the moment.

The date is a term that Roy and HG (Rampaging Roy Slaven and HG Nelson) popularised or maybe even invented. As an afficionado of the strange (to outsiders)in Aussie culture you need to check out Roy and HG. Extremely dry humour. Jokes that last for hours.

When too much sport is just barely enough.

10 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

...and that comment about "touching grass" has nothing to do with drugs. It means you need calm down and get some perspective

I probably need to learn some more English 😅 (My first language is Hebrew)

8 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Like Surj said I wasn’t telling you to go take drugs, this just isn’t that serious. Admittedly, I did not realise you were only 15, so in future, I will try to not be as much of a condescending arsehole… Emphasis on try I make no guarantees.

And I am sorry for misinterpreting your comment and for getting all defensive and stuff

8 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Timing is right (for the next 4 weeks before we change for DST) but day is wrong MCR was last night, we got home at about 4am this morning. I was listening to Electric Wizard on the way home but I was the only one awake to enjoy it, those other three pikers fell asleep before we left the city.

Oh right! I remember seeing something you posted about Orange Goblin and the ride down to Melbourne yesterday morning around this time but of course that would have been a post you made Friday afternoon or evening your time while I was sleeping overnight Thursday. So then I woke up and saw it Friday (yesterday) morning 9am my time (midnight your time) but then it wasn't until Friday late at night 2am here that I calculated the time as 5pm in Melbie thinking the Chemical Bros show might be starting soon, but of course by then it was already the next day for you time travelers. I'm usually pretty good at figuring this time zone stuff but I totally botched that one.

Okay so now with DST I'll just count 3 hours ahead and then swap am for pm - but tomorrow - for you and Doc and Deadovic as well as Carlissimo and my mother in law in Sydney, (half hour behind for Blivvie) and then another 2 hours ahead for my father in law in Auckland (Whangaparaoa). In another 4 weeks when youse go off DST I'll only be counting 2 hours ahead to start the calculation. Pretty sure OZ & NZ shift their daylight savings times in unison.

Europe is a bit easier, I know Jon-O and Macabre and Sweets in the UK are always 5 hours ahead of me, and then Johan, Arioch, Johnny-5 and the other Europeans are 6 hours ahead. Now we have that new kid Adam in Tel Aviv who's 7 hours ahead of me. I guess that Turkish girl with the Finnish name would have been 7 hours ahead too, but I haven't seen her post in awhile so she might have given up on us.

The only outlier is Hungarino, because he logs in from all corners of the globe, on any given day there's no telling where he is or what time it might be there.

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Oh right! I remember seeing something you posted about Orange Goblin and the ride down to Melbourne yesterday morning around this time but of course that would have been a post you made Friday afternoon or evening your time while I was sleeping overnight Thursday. So then I woke up and saw it Friday (yesterday) morning 9am my time (midnight your time) but then it wasn't until Friday late at night 2am here that I calculated the time as 5pm in Melbie thinking the Chemical Bros show might be starting soon, but of course by then it was already the next day for you time travelers. I'm usually pretty good at figuring this time zone stuff but I totally botched that one.

That sounds all about right but it also sounds confusing so it must be right.

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Okay so now with DST I'll just count 3 hours ahead and then swap am for pm - but tomorrow - for you and Doc and Deadovic as well as Carlissimo and my mother in law in Sydney, (half hour behind for Blivvie) and then another 2 hours ahead for my father in law in Auckland (Whangaparaoa). In another 4 weeks when youse go off DST I'll only be counting 2 hours ahead to start the calculation. Pretty sure OZ & NZ shift their daylight savings times in unison.

Not sure about NZ but we shift around Easter this year. It coincides with the school holidays usually and this year I think the school holidays are around Easter. All I know is that it's getting darker and darker as I get home at 6am, which means it's nearly time to shift the clocks. The other side of DST is the killer when we spend about 2 weeks with the sun rising at 4:30 and daylight breaking by about 5:15.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Just use your phone. 

I don't even know where my phone is half the time. But once I know to count 3 hours it's just much quicker to do it in my head. Like right now 9:45pm in NY means it's 12:45pm tomorrow in Canberra, took me all of 2 seconds. 

I also do most math in my head because it's quicker than using a calcuator, and I don't trust the calcuator's answer anyway because I worry I might've entered a wrong number at some point making the answer wrong.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I don't even know where my phone is half the time

After I gave myself a comminuted fracture dislocation of my right ankle in the middle of winter - god, it was almost 18 years ago now I think about it - while home alone and had to lie on my driveway until the wife and daughter came home. I now know where my phone is at all times. It is always in my pocket if I am outside the house and usually there when I am inside.

Call me paranoid, but the experience made me quite sad and I don't need hypothermia to add insult to injury if I break myself again.

But that's just me, and I don't expect this anecdote will change your behaviour. What should have been a salutary experience failed to change the behaviour of my oldest friend - a friend who I can call an idiot for keeping his wallet in his back pocket and he takes no offence. He just ignores me. He was in a train in Japan, Tokyo to Kyoto with his then 14 years old daughter and the wallet came out of his pocket and was left on the seat of the train. Which he discovered only after he and the daughter had eaten lunch and he couldn't pay. Many adventures ensued. Being Japan he eventually got the wallet back with contents intact and has a great story of what he did until the wallet turned up. But he still keeps his wallet in his back pocket.

I know where my phone is pretty much all the time but I rarely use it and I pretty much never use it for anything on the net. I use it to check what aisle something is in at stores like Bunnings where their website kind of works. I use it to check the weather, and I use it check my solar panels. But using it for forums and email isn't something I'm likely to do often. In fact Friday afternoon in Melbourne was the first time I'd used the forum on my mobile.

9 hours ago, Thatguy said:

After I gave myself a comminuted fracture dislocation of my right ankle in the middle of winter - god, it was almost 18 years ago now I think about it - while home alone and had to lie on my driveway until the wife and daughter came home. I now know where my phone is at all times. It is always in my pocket if I am outside the house and usually there when I am inside.

Call me paranoid, but the experience made me quite sad and I don't need hypothermia to add insult to injury if I break myself again.

But that's just me, and I don't expect this anecdote will change your behaviour. What should have been a salutary experience failed to change the behaviour of my oldest friend - a friend who I can call an idiot for keeping his wallet in his back pocket and he takes no offence. He just ignores me. He was in a train in Japan, Tokyo to Kyoto with his then 14 years old daughter and the wallet came out of his pocket and was left on the seat of the train. Which he discovered only after he and the daughter had eaten lunch and he couldn't pay. Many adventures ensued. Being Japan he eventually got the wallet back with contents intact and has a great story of what he did until the wallet turned up. But he still keeps his wallet in his back pocket.

I left my wallet on an airplane in Vancouver once, it had slipped out of my back pocket when I'd slouched down and was just lying on the seat. Realized I didn't have it just as we walked through the doors into the main part of the interrnational terminal at the point where they won't let you reenter. So I was unable to simply run back and try to get it. Lots of phone calls and panicking and an irrationaly annoyed wife, but I did get it back in one piece. Some airline empyee brought it al the way out to me after about 45 stressful minutes and made a big show of counting all my money out to me to make sure it was all there (as if I he thought I even had any idea exactly how much had been in there to begin with) Fortunately I had my passport on me to prove it was mine. And that's good because we were taking a connecting flight to Sydney Australia and it would have been a real problem not having my debit card or any cash while traveling overseas. Needess to say, I no longer carry my wallet in my back pocket, now it goes in the front left. Back right jeans pocket is reserved for my cell phone. In summer the phone goes in the front right pocket of me cargo shorts for three months because they only give you those wee tiny little useless back pockets.

Unlike Orca I use my cell phone a lot. Most days anyway. Not for calls, I don't make or receive very many calls at all, but I'm a texter and a serial Googler. And I'll browse this forum on there too. And my Amazon app gets a regular workout, I don't particularly enjoy going out shopping, especially if I have to drag the kid along with me, so except for shit like groceries, beer and water I order most shit or at least whatever I can online, stuff's usually here on my doorstep within a day or two. Which is precisely why I don't always know where my phone is because since I use it so much I tend to leave it all over the house. I always know that it's here somewhere, just not necessarily exactly where. Especially when we're working I'll leave it sitting on top of something or on a windowsill and forget where. I do that with my water too, I spend probably an hour or two a day walking around the house looking for my water or my phone or both. Obviously I exaggerate when I say half the time. I do know where it is most of the time because my friends text constanty round the clock, only a matter of time til I'll hear my text notification go off (which is the sound of a beer bottle top being popped and the top clinking onto the floor). Occasionally, maybe twice or thrice a year I will leave the house without it and then feel naked once I realize I don't have it. Then I'll start wracking my brain trying to think if I could have taken it out and left it anywhere. Always a relief to get home and find it's been sitting there the whole time.

1 hour ago, Dead1 said:

Fuck the mainstream.  I'd rather your average mainstream muppet never heard of metal.

Average muppet hasn't heard about metal, and most of them probaby never will. They've only heard about mainstream metal. Average muppet would find most metal outside of the mainstream abhorrent, and the rest of it merely horrid, unpleasant and distasteful. They don't know because they wouldn't want to know. So don't you worry my friend, everything's gonna be alright, we'll still get to keep all the good shit just for ourselves. Oh, but wait a sec, that's right, I almost forgot, you're a mainstreamer! 

How do you reconcile your fuck the mainstream attitude with the fact that at your core you yourself are an admitted mainstreamer? Not that there's anything wrong with being a mainstreamer mind you, I suppose in a way we need to have a mainstream for the rest of us elitist types to have something to look down on and feel superior to. But in your case, as someone who sings the praises of primarily mainstream metal bands, the vitriol being expressed toward "the mainstream" feels a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. Kinda feels like you're saying that people can only like the same mainstream metal bands that you like, otherwise they're 'muppets' (or poseurs, or subhumans, or untouchables) that shoud be scorned and ridiculed and dismissed. 

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Average muppet hasn't heard about metal, and most of them probaby never will. They've only heard about mainstream metal. Average muppet would find most metal outside of the mainstream abhorrent, and the rest of it merely horrid, unpleasant and distasteful. They don't know because they wouldn't want to know. So don't you worry my friend, everything's gonna be alright, we'll still get to keep all the good shit just for ourselves. Oh, but wait a sec, that's right, I almost forgot, you're a mainstreamer! 

How do you reconcile your fuck the mainstream attitude with the fact that at your core you yourself are an admitted mainstreamer? Not that there's anything wrong with being a mainstreamer mind you, I suppose in a way we need to have a mainstream for the rest of us elitist types to have something to look down on and feel superior to. But in your case, as someone who sings the praises of primarily mainstream metal bands, the vitriol being expressed toward "the mainstream" feels a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. Kinda feels like you're saying that people can only like the same mainstream metal bands that you like, otherwise they're 'muppets' (or poseurs, or subhumans, or untouchables) that shoud be scorned and ridiculed and dismissed. 

Mainstream metal as in I like the more popular metal bands eg Megadeth or Slayer or whatever.  Note these are still deep underground for the mainstream of society.  Metallica circa 1986 is still underground extreme metal to your average Madonna/Justin Bieber/Bille Eileesh/Eminem fan.

And even my mainstream bands aren't exactly watered down pop like Nightwish or Papa Roach or whatever.  

Also the periods I like of bands is generally their underground period - I mean In Flames circa 1996 was underground (I started listening to them around 1997-98)  unlike In Flames circa 2023.

And shit I see you cranking Overkill or Paradise Lost too if we're going to talk mainstream metal.

46 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Damn right muthafucka. If you weren't born with a metal rod sticking out your arse, a Slayer tattoo across your chest and little horns in your head you don't deserve to listen to metal!

Damn fucking right.  I was born in a Communist industrial town which makes me super stronk steel from birth by default.