Did the appearance and media breakthrough of Master of Puppets in Stranger Things upset you?

AdamGavriely

Did the appearance and media breakthrough of Master of Puppets in Stranger Things upset you?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. How were you feeling when watching the Master of Puppets scene for the first time?

• I was super excited
    • I was glad
    • It was okay, I guess...
    • Ehhh, didn't like it
    • It was horrible
  2. 2. How do you feel about its breakthrough into the media and mainstream?

• I'm happy more people discover metal because of it
    • I'm happy it finally gets the appreciation it deserves
    • I don't care / don't have an opinion about it
    • I'm angry at people who don't really like the song for what it is but only for appearing in some popular TV show
    • I'm upset that it became a lot more mainstream that it used to be. Thrash metal should stay in the underground and only for people who can really appreciate it.
  3. 3. If someone will hear Master of Puppets and will say "Ooh, It's that song from Stranger Things!" how will you react?

• I'll say "Yeah! It's really good, right?"
    • I'll say "It's actually a Metallica song"
    • I'll yell at them with my jet-black eyes "NO!!! YOU'RE NOT A REAL METALHEAD!!! IT'S OURS!!!!!!! YOU SHOULD HAVE NO RIGHT TO LISTEN TO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    • I'll pretend like I didn't hear them and will walk away as fast as I can

Am I the only one who gets really upset because of Master of Puppets' new success since the last episode in season 4 of Stranger Things came out? It's just that I tell it to people they always react "Oh, but aren't you happy more people get into metal now because of it?"

So on the one hand: yes, I am. But on the other hand, I feel like a lot of people now like this song only because it appeared in some popular TV show, and if they would have listened to it otherwise they wouldn't have liked it. It just feels like those people say "OMG, what an amazing song!", and I'm like "Yes it is! So why in all of those times you heard a bit of metal you immediately said 'What the fuck is that noise?!'" And I know not all people are like that but still, it just annoys the crap out of me.

I thought it was cool the actor really learned the song for that scene. I also liked the bc rich guitar he used. I thought it was appropriate to summon those flying demon things with an old school metal tune. It didn’t bother me that it gave that song or band more exposure. Had he played a Death song or something I might feel different. 

Apparently the t-shirt or jacket also came direct from Wendy Dio.

Still not sure that makes it a good or bad thing but advertising is advertising.

10 minutes ago, DeathMetalBangers said:

Had he played a Death song or something I might feel different. 

What difference does the song choice make?

12 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

What difference does the song choice make?

It probably wouldn’t make a difference. As long as it was relevant to the timeframe of the show, which was in the 1980s. It might be weird to hear a lot of people talking about a Death or an Obituary song had they used that instead of Metallica. But probably not a big deal. 

6 hours ago, AdamGavriely said:

Am I the only one who gets really upset because of Master of Puppets' new success since the last episode in season 4 of Stranger Things came out? It's just that I tell it to people they always react "Oh, but aren't you happy more people get into metal now because of it?"

So on the one hand: yes, I am. But on the other hand, I feel like a lot of people now like this song only because it appeared in some popular TV show, and if they would have listened to it otherwise they wouldn't have liked it. It just feels like those people say "OMG, what an amazing song!", and I'm like "Yes it is! So why in all of those times you heard a bit of metal you immediately said 'What the fuck is that noise?!'" And I know not all people are like that but still, it just annoys the crap out of me.

KEEP CALM AND KILL ALL POSERS Poster | Kill all posers | Keep Calm-o-Matic

Is this the kind of shit that keeps you up at night? And a poll no less. How old are you?? You're really gonna get all bent out of shape because some kids watching a kids show on Netfix might have discovered a 37 year old mainstream commercial radio friendy metal song that was popular 20 years before they were even born?

If not from a TV show, then where else would you have them discover it, underground tape trading? In a video game like Guitar Hero? From their parents' or grandparents' or older siblings' record collections? Their friends' band covered it at their high school talent show? How did you discover metal?

What's really the problem here Adam, you don't feel special anymore for knowing about Metallica if the secret's out and now a bunch of randos off the street who are less metal than you like them too? Do you think they should be required to somehow prove their metal worthiness before they can be allowed to take a seat at the cool kids' table and rock out to Metallica?

I've got news for ya kid, verdict's in, you're a poseur. 

A few years ago, while watching season 1 of the Dark series, I was surprised to hear Pleasure to Kill by Kreator as background music.

I thought it was fun.

That's it.

It wasn't the first time I heard Metal in a movie or a series. In The Last Action Hero, we're good too.

Stranger Things, I didn't get further than season 2 and I certainly won't watch the "famous" episode mentioned here.

When I listen to metal music, I don't feel like I'm part of any elite. I know I'm listening to music that is considered noise by the uninitiated.

A few months ago, on a train, I was watching a video on my smartphone of a track played live by The Gathering, from the album Mandylion. The traveler sitting next to me was transfixed by what he saw over my shoulder. So much so that he ended up asking me if I minded giving him the link to the video. He immediately watched the video and was very pleased.

I'm sure he wasn't a metal fan and I never said to myself: No way I'm giving you the link to this video! You're an ignoramus! Get out of my sight, you weakling!

On the contrary, it was a pleasure for me to "COMMUNICATE" a piece of the music I love since 39 years.

So here's the thing, I'm aware of my problem with this. In my brain, I keep telling myself "Adam, shut up. It's obviously okay for someone who is not a metalhead to like this kind of music. Everyone is allowed to listen to it, and you're acting like a big baby." Basically what most of you said. But at the same time, there's something inside of me that just wanna explode every time I see someone who doesn't know who Iron Maiden is and is wearing an Iron Maiden t-shirt. And again, I know it's wrong! I just can't control it.

It's my brain against my emotions. 

9 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Is this the kind of shit that keeps you up at night? And a poll no less. How old are you?? You're really gonna get all bent out of shape because some kids watching a kids show on Netfix might have discovered a 37 year old mainstream commercial radio friendy metal song that was popular 20 years before they were even born?

If not from a TV show, then where else would you have them discover it, underground tape trading? In a video game like Guitar Hero? From their parents' or grandparents' or older siblings' record collections? Their friends' band covered it at their high school talent show? How did you discover metal?

What's really the problem here Adam, you don't feel special anymore for knowing about Metallica if the secret's out and now a bunch of randos off the street who are less metal than you like them too? Do you think they should be required to somehow prove their metal worthiness before they can be allowed to take a seat at the cool kids' table and rock out to Metallica?

I've got news for ya kid, verdict's in, you're a poseur. 

I can't disagree with everything that is being said here. I don't think I really care if I or someone else is a poser. Maybe my ego does, but I don't.

About the first paragraph: I posted this topic not because I am some annoying spoiled kid who thinks he owns the metal industry - because I'm not. I just wanted to let it out and see if anyone else is feeling the same way. I just feel welcome and comfortable here, so I felt safe to post how I feel without being judged.

I probably didn't make it enough clear in the post, therefore I'm not claiming you're being rude or anything.

Even though then I realized it was kinda wrong to be upset by it, now I truly understand how childish and egotistical it is. What can I say, I learned the hard way.

P.S. I'm 15 years old.

8 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Aww the poor widdle baby threw his toys away because another kid liked them too? That’s cute, dude if you are seriously this upset by people who will probably never listen to another Metallica song in their lives you need to get out more, go touch grass.

Okay, not cool, man. You could write how wrong and annoying how I feel is, you could explain your own opinion about this subject, but instead you just chose to insult me and tell me "Go do drugs". Thank you for this useless offensive comment.

Applause to Arioch for the sensible answer. 

Chances are Adam you will not find many other teenagers here so your perspective is likely to be in the minority (which is fine it is still perfectly valid for you to share your thoughts).  I would also encourage you please to leave the poll option off on any future posts (or at least pair it back) as we can get quite a good debate going without it, as you have seen of course.

Less block capital letters also please - if you can't express yourself sensibly than that is a problem for you here.  Otherwise feel free to dip into conversations as you have been.

28 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

I would also encourage you please to leave the poll option off on any future posts (or at least pair it back) as we can get quite a good debate going without it, as you have seen of course.

Less block capital letters also please - if you can't express yourself sensibly than that is a problem for you here.  Otherwise feel free to dip into conversations as you have been.

No problem, I'll pay attention to that 👍

And thank you, Arioch, I appreciate your understanding.

5 hours ago, AdamGavriely said:

So here's the thing, I'm aware of my problem with this. In my brain, I keep telling myself "Adam, shut up. It's obviously okay for someone who is not a metalhead to like this kind of music. Everyone is allowed to listen to it, and you're acting like a big baby." Basically what most of you said. But at the same time, there's something inside of me that just wanna explode every time I see someone who doesn't know who Iron Maiden is and is wearing an Iron Maiden t-shirt. And again, I know it's wrong! I just can't control it.

It's my brain against my emotions. 

I can't disagree with everything that is being said here. I don't think I really care if I or someone else is a poser. Maybe my ego does, but I don't.

About the first paragraph: I posted this topic not because I am some annoying spoiled kid who thinks he owns the metal industry - because I'm not. I just wanted to let it out and see if anyone else is feeling the same way. I just feel welcome and comfortable here, so I felt safe to post how I feel without being judged.

I probably didn't make it enough clear in the post, therefore I'm not claiming you're being rude or anything.

Even though then I realized it was kinda wrong to be upset by it, now I truly understand how childish and egotistical it is. What can I say, I learned the hard way.

P.S. I'm 15 years old.

Okay, not cool, man. You could write how wrong and annoying how I feel is, you could explain your own opinion about this subject, but instead you just chose to insult me and tell me "Go do drugs". Thank you for this useless offensive comment.

I didn't realize that you were only 15 years old when I made that post. If I had known that I might have responded differently or maybe even not at all. I guess being an old man who's active in a forum full of not quite as old men I tend to assume everyone here is at least an adult and forget there could be kids here which is an erroneous assumption. When I asked " How old are you??" I figured you were probably a young man in his early 20's, but I never thought you would actually turn out to be an adolescent. So I'd like to apologize if I came on a little harsh, I do have a pretty savage and sarcastic sense of humor that for some reason not everybody appreciates. Being completely honest I can't 100% guarantee that I will never be sarcastic or condescending in your direction again, but I can promise that I mean no harm.

I'm glad you said you feel comfortable here and I do hope you'll stick around and continue to post with us. Always good for us to have some new young blood to liven things up around here. Even given our massive 46 year age gap I'm sure there's probably a lot we could both learn from each other. As a lifelong metalhead and also the father of a 9 year old boy I personally find it very exciting to learn that there are still some young people who are getting into metal for the first time here in the 2020's. This gives me hope that in a few years heavy metal could be something my son and I might be able to bond over. With any luck. Although I'm sure like most metalheads we'll probably be into completely different bands anyway.

Metallica didn't exist yet when I was 15, their first album dropped in the fall of '83 when I was 22. For a time there in '84-'85 I would have called them my favorite band, but that was before I became obsessed with Overkill and Celtic Frost. I was quite enamored with Ride the Lightning though in '84 -'85 and I was fortunate to see them play live back in their prime, when they were still playing clubs in Jan '85. I was much less enamored with Master in '86 which I liked, but even then I thought they were starting to sound just a bit too commercial for my tastes. I have long since moved on from my mainstream metal roots and gotten into myriad other bands and other sub-genres of metal, much of it quite extreme. Literally just noise to most people, even to many so-called metalheads. But I can tell you I would be thrilled beyond measure if I caught my kid listening to Master of Puppets and he told me he got it from watching a TV show like Stranger Things. I would probably send them an email thanking them.

Unfortunately I couldn't get him to watch more than a couple of episodes of Stranger Things with me when I finally binge watched the whole series a few months ago. Overall I thought it was pretty good (except for that one dude's hair) but my kid lost interest. Too much talking and character development, not enough horror and action and killing to keep him interested. He's more into jump scare horror and blood and zombies and he loves stuff like the Scream movies and that Korean show All of Us Are Dead. I don't even know where he gets this interest in horror from since I don't watch any horror myself, not ever. I really don't care for the genre at all. But even at 9 I believe I've gotta let him be himself and he needs to be free to explore different things on his own and find his own way. I'm just glad he stopped watching that stupid Squid Games show over and over again. Having to hear him talk about that red light green light crap on a daily basis was insufferable.

38 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I didn't realize that you were only 15 years old when I made that post. If I had known that I might have responded differently or maybe even not at all. I guess being an old man who's active in a forum full of not quite as old men I tend to assume everyone here is at least an adult and forget there could be kids here which is an erroneous assumption. When I asked " How old are you??" I figured you were probably a young man in his early 20's, but I never thought you would actually turn out to be an adolescent. So I'd like to apologize if I came on a little harsh, I do have a pretty savage and sarcastic sense of humor that for some reason not everybody appreciates. Being completely honest I can't 100% guarantee that I will never be sarcastic or condescending in your direction again, but I can promise that I mean no harm.

Thank you so much! It's admirable you wrote this long "apology note". I think most people would have just avoided responding. And don't worry about the way you responded. I was aware of the "risks" of posting this kind of opinion without holding a sign saying "I am 15 years old, please respond nicely". But thanks anyway.

46 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Metallica didn't exist yet when I was 15, their first album dropped in the fall of '83 when I was 22. For a time there in '84-'85 I would have called them my favorite band, but that was before I became obsessed with Overkill and Celtic Frost. I was quite enamored with Ride the Lightning though in '84 -'85 and I was fortunate to see them play live back in their prime, when they were still playing clubs in Jan '85. I was much less enamored with Master in '86 which I liked, but even then I thought they were starting to sound just a bit too commercial for my tastes.

It sounds really fun. I wish I had lived in that time, I really like underground metal shows, and I would give anything to see Cliff Burton performing live...

51 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

But I can tell you I would be thrilled beyond measure if I caught my kid listening to Master of Puppets and he told me he got it from watching a TV show like Stranger Things. I would probably send them an email thanking them.

Absolutely understandable, though I don't have any children 😆

54 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Too much talking and character development, not enough horror and action and killing to keep him interested. He's more into jump scare horror and blood and zombies and he loves stuff like the Scream movies and that Korean show All of Us Are Dead. I don't even know where he gets this interest in horror from since I don't watch any horror myself, not ever. I really don't care for the genre at all. But even at 9 I believe I've gotta let him be himself and he needs to be free to explore different things on his own and find his own way. I'm just glad he stopped watching that stupid Squid Games show over and over again. Having to hear him talk about that red light green light crap on a daily basis was insufferable.

lol, I never watch horror too. The goriest thing I've ever watched on my own will was Stranger Things 4. So I understand I'm lucky to never have watched Squid Games, whatever it should be...

You sound like a good father, it is nice meeting you 🤘

Okay..I'm late to this on account of having been away for a couple of days, but let me go ahead and throw my own 2-cents into this conversation.

Adam here was not the only one who took exception to this situation. Apparently a whole lot of people online got bent out of shape about it, and tried to gatekeep Metallica, to the point that they basically released a brief statement telling people to knock it off.

...to that I'll only add that while I support at least some small degree of gatekeeping in any hobby, because fuck social parasites, at the end of the day Metallica isn't the hill to die on. That war was over a long time ago, with the release of the black album. At this point you'd have to be fresh off the spaceship to not know who they were, so I'm honestly confused what people were trying to keep secret. 

Honestly though, it's not worth getting upset every time some brain dead Kardashian is seen wandering around with a Slayer shirt on. The vast majority of these people aren't going to get any further than the most well known names that they know from the radio. They're not metal fans, and most likely never will be. More importantly though, is that they're not really trying to be either, and because of that they affect nothing.

...and that comment about "touching grass" has nothing to do with drugs. It means you need calm down and get some perspective

17 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Okay..I'm late to this on account of having been away for a couple of days, but let me go ahead and throw my own 2-cents into this conversation.

Adam here was not the only one who took exception to this situation. Apparently a whole lot of people online got bent out of shape about it, and tried to gatekeep Metallica, to the point that they basically released a brief statement telling people to knock it off.

...to that I'll only add that while I support at least some small degree of gatekeeping in any hobby, because fuck social parasites, at the end of the day Metallica isn't the hill to die on. That war was over a long time ago, with the release of the black album. At this point you'd have to be fresh off the spaceship to not know who they were, so I'm honestly confused what people were trying to keep secret. 

Honestly though, it's not worth getting upset every time some brain dead Kardashian is seen wandering around with a Slayer shirt on. The vast majority of these people aren't going to get any further than the most well known names that they know from the radio. They're not metal fans, and most likely never will be. More importantly though, is that they're not really trying to be either, and because of that they affect nothing.

...and that comment about "touching grass" has nothing to do with drugs. It means you need calm down and get some perspective

Yes "touch grass" literally means take a break, get up out of your chair, walk outside, bend down and touch some green grass, smell the flowers and get some fresh air.

Whomever got all bent out of shape on social media or wherever about normies and casuals discovering Metallica through Stranger Things also need to go outside and touch grass, every last one of them. They're already the biggest rock/metal band in the land, James and Lars are worth hundreds of millions each. Clearly they have spent decades gathering lots of normies and casuals in their net and turning them into fans. As stupid and pathetic as "gatekeeping" is to begin with, it's even stupider and more pathetic to decide you need to close that gate and lock it to keep the casuals out after it has been left wide open and unattended for 30+ years. Especially in Metallica's case where I'd bet a lot of the ones doing the gatekeeping these days are probably a lot of the same ones that older fans of the band had wished they could have kept out 20 or 30 years ago. Everything comes full circle.

I guess I've never really understood this urge some peope have to gatekeep. At least not when it comes to music. Participation in certain other hobbies might be a different story where the influx of casuals could potentially fuck things up for everyone involved. But I mean whatever some dude down the street or across town might be listening to in his room or in his car is completey irrelevant to me and my life. It has no effect on me whatsoever. And whatever I might choose to listen to is none of anyone's fucking business. I'm supposed to let someone come and tell me I need to stay in the goat metal lane and I shoudn't dare explore outside of that? The idea that certain groups of fans have come to view themseves as superior and wish to deny others access to bands or a scene they now see as "theirs" so they can keep it all as some secret little club just for themselves and their friends just seems so fucking petty and juvenile to me. The modern world just doesn't work that way. It's all out there avaiable to be had by everyone and anyone who wants to try some on the internet. And as metalheads we should all be keenly aware that we all had to get started somewhere. It's not like anyone's pumping black and death metal into our earholes as infants lying in our cribs. We each had to go and seek this shit out.

Exactly, we don’t start out as card-carrying members of the metal brotherhood, some people just lose perspective of that fact. I should know, in my early 20s I was that guy who got upset when people talked about their favourite metal bands being Avenged Sevenfold, or slipknot, or whoever.

13 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Exactly, we don’t start out as card-carrying members of the metal brotherhood, some people just lose perspective of that fact. I should know, in my early 20s I was that guy who got upset when people talked about their favourite metal bands being Avenged Sevenfold, or Slipknot, or whoever.

Ex-Exodus Guitarist Says Firing Paul Baloff Was the 'Worst Mistake' They  Ever Made | Music News @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Shit I was nearly 40 when Balloon-knot dropped their first abum. So fortunately I missed out on a lot of that nu-metal crap that was aimed at kids in the late 90's. Thankfully I don't think I've ever had to endure more than 30 seconds of 'Knot's music when I finally checked them out a few years ago out of curiosity after hearing their name mentioned for so many years.

In my 20's I was the guy who constanty heard "So what kind of music was it you said you liked, trash metal?"

16 hours ago, Arioch said:

The Gathering, from the album Mandylion.

Thatguy approved.

15 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

From a dude on a forum I used to post on 15 years ago. That was his special nickname for Sipknot.  A slang word that I'll assume means the same thing to youse down there as it means to us up here? Starfish, brown-eye, O-ring, freckle?

Never heard it either. You mean date.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Never heard it either. You mean date.

Shouldn't it be raisin then? I think they're a tad more wrinkley than dates. I remember when my father in law was over visiting he kept talking about the cat's "freckle" and I honestly had no idea what the fuck he even meant until I asked and he told me because we don't use that to mean asshole up here. Or date for that matter. But keep 'em coming because I must admit I do enjoy learning all the neato Aussie and Kiwi slang words. Guess you could call me a slang nerd.