Feeling like an outsider

1 hour ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Perhaps I’m just unlucky, upon reflection I’d say that I know maybe 6 people who are into metal, but only one I could drag along to a gig.

Also to put where I live into perspective: South Australia is roughly a third larger then Texas, but has a population roughly a third smaller then Iowa.

South Australia which covers an area of nearly a million square km has roughly the same population (1.77 million) as West Virgina, (1.79 million) which is the 40th largest of our 50 states by population, and 41st in land area at just 63k sq km. Of those 1.77 million South Australians, 1.35 million are your fellow Adelaidians. Australia has 3 times as many sheep as people (78.85 million).

Yes I’m aware, there’s also an obscene number of churches considering our population. Anyway I can’t complain too much, at least I’ve been to some shows.

3 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Makes you wonder why the fuck lamb is so expensive in this country...we can't be keeping them all as girl friends

I don't know if it's true but someone (an aussie so obviously it's gotta be true) that American's don't eat much lamb because they consider it gamey and tough.

I think the yanks just aren’t cooking it right… now I want lamb dammit

9 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I think the yanks just aren’t cooking it right… now I want lamb dammit

They might not, but to consider it 'gamey' seems a bit weird to me. Roo, Croc, Water buffalo, maybe even to some degree goat, are gamey but Lamb is far from gamey.

At $45 a kilo for lamb cutlets lambs are nearly worth their weight in gold in this country.

10 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

They might not, but to consider it 'gamey' seems a bit weird to me. Roo, Croc, Water buffalo, maybe even to some degree goat, are gamey but Lamb is far from gamey.

At $45 a kilo for lamb cutlets lambs are nearly worth their weight in gold in this country.

Yeah, venison too for that matter, also, yes, Lamb is stupidly expensive which sucks because it’s probably my favourite meat after dark.

Lamb would undoubtedly be my personal favorite of all the different proteins, certainly out of all the 4-legged creatures I've ever eaten. It's no contest reallly, I wouldn't even have to think about it. But I am aware that most Americans don't eat it, probably haven't tried it, and have no desire to eat it or try it. As a nation we also don't eat goat which is the most eaten of all the red meats on a worldwide basis. I've also known many many people who'll refuse to eat most any type of fish or seafood. (except possibly shrimp) Many don't even seem to have any particular reason for this and lots of people will even make up phantom allergies to excuse why they don't eat various types of seafood or shellfish.

Most Americans seem only too happy to eat the shittiest food imaginable. I know this because I've been to many many restaurants of all different sizes and types over the years of which the overwhelming majority have served me shit food. Varying degrees of shit, some will be more or less edible than others, but it can still mostly all be described as shit. I've gone to many restaurants where I've told the person sitting across from me "If I ever forget how much this place sucks and then suggest coming back here in a few years please smack me upside the head to remind me." And yet most of them are still busy as fuck and will make you wait ages for a table on a Friday or Saturday night, it's insane. It's like Americans are so seduced by the convenience of quick and easy food they won't have to cook or clean up themselves, that they're willing to sacrifice all standards of taste and texture to get it.

1 hour ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

there’s also an obscene number of churches considering our population.

Adelaide has 43 Christian churches per 100,000 residents. The American south has 150 churches per 100k.

On 5/27/2023 at 10:33 AM, AlSymerz said:

It's been a huge deal in the news and in papers for weeks here, one doesn't have to pay for view to hear when local news happens.

I haven't heard about it either but my news focus is on international affairs, defence and economics.

I don't actually watch any news - nearly everything I learn about news is online (Guardian, Politico, ABC, BBC, CNN).

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2023 at 9:36 PM, CreepyDarkPrincess said:

Such a bad feeling when you're the only metalhead in your town and have noone to listen some bands with... And even your parents don't fully accept your personality

Really a gross feeling...

i think that never really bothered me if my parents accepted me or not. the feeling that even people at your age don't get you. that's what hurts. i've literally haven't had an actual conversation with anyone my age for almost a year (except my younger sis). even alt kids at my town think i'm a weirdo

10 hours ago, z3r0 said:

i think that never really bothered me if my parents accepted me or not. the feeling that even people at your age don't get you. that's what hurts. i've literally haven't had an actual conversation with anyone my age for almost a year (except my younger sis). even alt kids at my town think i'm a weirdo

Welcome to the club then.

The only truth about us metalheads is we're all pretty weird.  Metal is the music of the outsider.  Not many normies head the call of the riff!  

12 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Welcome to the club then.

The only truth about us metalheads is we're all pretty weird.  Metal is the music of the outsider.  Not many normies head the call of the riff!  

i used to think of it this way too. but the truth is that even if metal music attracts many outsiders it's still mostly listened by people who don't feel like an outsiders in any way and just like the sound or fashion attached to it. it's never about the lifestyle or mindset nowadays.

3 hours ago, z3r0 said:

i used to think of it this way too. but the truth is that even if metal music attracts many outsiders it's still mostly listened by people who don't feel like an outsiders in any way and just like the sound or fashion attached to it. it's never about the lifestyle or mindset nowadays.

Sounds like you need to get involved in the noise/industrial scenes.

10 hours ago, z3r0 said:

In Australia it is still mainly outsider music.

To be honest that is how it should be.  Metal for the mainstream masses is the worst thing I could think of.

11 hours ago, z3r0 said:

I wonder what experiences you’ve had which lead you to that conclusion. I very much feel like an outsider, living for the days I get to talk metal. I’m sure anyone here, particularly those of us who prefer the most extreme sub genres, feel the same.

Of course if you primarily encounter either fans of the more radio friendly bands then sure that makes more sense.

2 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I wonder what experiences you’ve had which lead you to that conclusion? I very much feel like an outsider, living for the days I get to talk metal. I’m sure anyone here, particularly those of us who prefer the most extreme sub genres, feel the same.

Of course if you primarily encounter either fans of the more radio friendly bands then sure that makes more sense.

Metal isn't as well guarded a secret as it used to be. At this point there's 25 years worth of metal related content on the internet and you can find articles, blogs, forums and lists to help you find anything you could possibly imagine. I think there are some young people now who listen to metal alongside several other unrelated genres. They might not all just be listening to metal all the time to the exclusion of everything else like a lot of us older metalheads tend to do. So it makes sense they're not all gonna be like your typical metal outsiders, freaks and malcontents. Maybe they're more like normies/casuals who just happen to like some metal.

At the end of the day it is just music, there aren't any rules, you are allowed to mix it up. Maybe we can sometimes forget that metal doesn't neccessarily have to be a lifestyle and quasi-religion for everybody just because it is for some of us. 

I don't feel like metal is truly outsider music unless you're talking about some of the genres designed to be off-putting to most. The only real ostracization I ever feel acutely is when work becomes very busy and takes up nearly all of my free time. There are points at work where I'm with coworkers and we'll generally take turns making a playlist on somebody's music-site account that specializes in that type of thing. I'm more than okay with this even when some people load up on things I personally dislike; Disney tunes or hipster specialties like Ween or what have you. These people are probably experiencing the same drain on their music listening time as I am so getting to put on something that specifically fits their personal taste helps alleviate that. Extreme metal, though, for some reason is always considered unfair to inflict on others. Even with shorter songs, no profanity, and no anti-Christian or violent imagery. Hell somebody put on the most consciously ugly MSI tracks he could once and was talking in front of customers about how the band would engage in sexual acts on stage, and still no complaints. But if I came in with Arsis or Wintersun (two bands I would consider to be on the milder end of extreme metal) I got a talking to from the boss. I wasn't about to throw my coworkers under the bus, though, so I remember just kind of accepting that at certain times I'm just going to have to suck it up and not listen to what I wanted.

That’s more my point metal isn’t exclusively an outsider genre, however there is still a difference between the more accessible stuff you could play at work and no one bats an eye, Metallica, Judas Priest, etc compared with, for example, playing some Archgoat, Napalm Death, or Cemetary Urn.

Moreover we do get weird looks for, correctly I might add, insisting linkin park aren’t metal. So I would actually say metal has simultaneously never been more mainstream or more an outsider genre.