Hail to the King's songs inspirations

Sickman6661

Question

It is already known that Avenged Sevenfold's songs in their fifth studio album are made to show directly how they have been influenced by other older bands. I some when heard a song very similar to some song in this album, but I lost it. I want to know which old songs are sound-alike to every Hail to the King's song (If there is one for every single one)

Thank you.

23 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Sickman6661 said:

Hmmm, I see. About which bands do you guys talk here?

Good ones! Mostly metal bands, but not neccessarily. Typically not a lot of talk around here about metalcore or nu-metal or melodeath or anything too lightweight, fluffy, or obnoxiously mainstream or commercial.

But let's see...we have an orca who basically only likes thrash metal, and is partial to bands from down under. We have an aging former doctor now pensioner who with few exceptions only likes avant-garde, dissonant, ambient and esoteric stuff. We have a Tasmanian Slav who hates just about everything since the turn of the century and instead worships Pantera, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, 80's thrash and early 90's death metal. We have a legally blind Adelaidian cricket player who digs funeral doom and black metal. We have an ex-pat Kiwi vegan Londoner who loves Judas Priest, Queen, TON, Sabbath/Ozzy, scooby doom and dabbles in a little death metal. We have a cool dude from the Yukon Territories who's perpetually snowed in at 40° below so he stays in and jams a lot of mostly black and death metal in his igloo when his truck won't start. And of course he loves anything Canadian. We have a snake-boy who's really into obscure 90's black metal and punk, but he doesn't say too much, mostly just posts the cover art and lets it speak for itself. We have the Macabre one with fairly wide ranging tastes from somewhere just north of the midlands who likes to fuck around on Fridays.  We have our father, a graphic artist with eclectic and sophisticated tastes who loves all things prog and prog metal/prog death. We have a kayaker/educator/snappy dresser from the mid-Atlantic who seems to listen to a little bit of almost everything, but seems especially fond of noise/sludge/post-hardcore/shoegaze and witchy doom with female vocals. We have an ex-Navy nurse from the Florida panhandle who bundles up when it drops below 65° and also seems to like a little bit of everything, can't really pin him down to a favorite sub-genre. Then there's my buddy Marko who is an encyclopedia of knowledge about all kinds of music, but who seems to specialize in hardcore punk, post-punk and black metal. We have the inimitable Surge who's really into raw fuzzy atmospheric black metal. Guess I'll have to include our new French guy who posts a lot of French stuff but I haven't quite figured out where his musical tastes are focused just yet. Guess that covers most of us, who am I leaving out? There's Hungarino who travels the globe as an active member of the US military and pops up every month or two from hotels and naval bases in random countries around the world to post Bandcamp links to sick thrashy death metal. Then there's me I guess, I just like evil primitive goat metal, anything with black and white cover art I can bang my head to, and I do my best to consume copious amounts of nasty vicious raw filth.

Hope this answers your question. Bienvenidos.

Damn, GG you really pay attention. I'd be hard-pressed to identify everybody's tastes as succinctly as you did. I'd probably say doom and it's various offshoots is my favorite genre, but tend to meander into various caverns depending on my mood.   

6 hours ago, Sickman6661 said:

Hmmm, I see. About which bands do you guys talk here?

Hey man, don't be offended but bands like Avenged Sevenfold are generally seen as entry level more commercial metal and there's nothing wrong with that. Most of us needed gateways. I got into modern extreme metal through my own gateways-for me it was stoner metal, old school doom, classic power metal, Isis styled post metal and symphonic chick shit and I still rock that stuff from time to time. 

Dialed this Hail to the King album upon Youtube out of curiosity and holy fucking shit these guys are even worse than I remembered. This really can't even be considered metal, it's catchy commercial rock that's been artificially heavied up with guitars. Commercial swill along the lines of 90's Metallica. In fact it sounds like they were listening to The Black Album and Load/Reload on repeat on their way to the recording studio in hopes that some of Metallica's fans would hear the similarities and end up buying their record.

44 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

I honestly don't know how you get it so wrong so often but keep it up I'm amused.

C'mon Orca, you've been carrying the torch for thrash metal since before you found us on the forum here. You've come right out and stated many times that thrash is your favorite metal sub-genre, you love thrash, you laugh at those who'd suggest thrash is dead, and you listen to thrash more than anything else. You certainly post more thrash than you do anything else. I realize you listen to other stuff too, you have to stop taking me so literally when I'm just trying to be funny. And you must be aware that you do post a disproportionate number of Aussie bands, not that there's anything whatsoever wrong with that.

On 2/19/2023 at 5:51 AM, RelentlessOblivion said:

Ah the Goat Old One (@GoatmasterGeneral) did a decent job, summarising, me, though it seems he’s forgotten my penchant for 90’s death metal… old age catching up mate?

And me. Although, I would have thought utilising death metal vocals in about five different bands was a bit more than dabbling....but there you go.

7 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

And me. Although, I would have thought utilising death metal vocals in about five different bands was a bit more than dabbling....but there you go.

You may like to growl in your own music Jon-boy, (I'll have to take your word for it because I haven't heard any of it) but you don't talk about death metal with us on the board. Like not ever. And the dude had asked what bands do we talk about here. Not that it even matters because the teenage Sevenfold guy got butt hurt when we told him we don't like that shit here and will never come post here again or even come read these responses.

So do you listen to a lot of death metal then Jon? What are some of your favorite death metal albums? Because I can go back and edit my post to say how much you love death metal if you'd like.

Did some YT research...Jon you know this isn't death metal, right? Sounds like you'd been listening to a bit of Painkiller before you recorded this. Vocals remind me of some band but I can't put my finger on which one. Was this video made back when you were still relatively young and eating meat so you could still hit those high notes? I will say you were quite the sexy bastard back then whenever this was. 

Monsterworks - Who Am I ? 

Monsterworks - Blokk, this one was shot waaay back in your youth in New Zealand at the turn of the century when you were young and still had your long hair and the crazy eyes. I kinda like this one actually, but it's not death metal.

Monsterworks - Weight of Emptiness, 2018, you're getting older here, in your 40's, slowing down a bit, mellowing out, can't hit the high notes like you used to anymore. Inter Arma influence is evident. I'll call your 2018 sound Sci-fi doom metal.