Metallica- Lux AEterna

helvete

Listening Ride the Lightning because of the new single. I really can't see me liking the new album at all. RtL is a huge album for me, also because it was the first Metallica album that I bought when it came out. Me being 14 at the time. My adoration went up and until the black album, the latter because I was in love with my first ex at the time. After that I was screwed by blindly buying the Load album and that was me done and dusted with James cs.

There is quite a few nods to the past in the song, not sure if that's enough to make it great though. It will be interesting to see what the rest of the album sounds like and if it's more of this or more of their more recent stuff.

I wonder how Lars is going to go into the future. He not long ago said he could see himself playing live up into his seventies (twenty years into the future at the time), but this sort of song does crack a bit of pace for the guy. Will he be able to cope or will they slow this song down live like they have over the years with so many of their classics.

16 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I wonder how Lars is going to go into the future. He not long ago said he could see himself playing live up into his seventies (twenty years into the future at the time), but this sort of song does crack a bit of pace for the guy. Will he be able to cope or will they slow this song down live like they have over the years with so many of their classics.

Nothing a few lines of blow can't fix!  😁

I'm getting a little Motorhead in there too. Meh, it's ok. Death Magnetic and the last one had enjoyable moments, but nothing to rekindle the past. This won't either, but at least it's passable and better than what any of the other legacy thrash bands have put out in recent memory. I'm sure they'll sell a billion copies.

24 minutes ago, navybsn said:

but at least it's passable and better than what any of the other legacy thrash bands have put out in recent memory. 

Dunno, Sodom, Destruction and Testament have all done some great stuff in recent times.  In fact Testament just kicked arse on their last one.  Megadeth have their moments too though I wish their production was better - too sterile.    

Also we haven't heard the other songs.  Hardwired was like 2 cracking thrash tunes, a couple of ok slower ones and a butt ton of crappy Load rejects.  Death Magnetic was better but that production fucked it right up.

11 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Merged and moved to General Chat.

I looked again and again in Albums. I thought you guys erased it.

Andddd thhe new album name is ‘72 Seasons’ And I heard this album is the last album of metallica. I think this song is a little bit dimond head, motorhed and the riffs are looking like slayer or a thrash song little bit. I liked it. I hope this album will be terrific.

Last album? Where did you hear that?

Despite it taking 153 years for Metallica to record something, just slightly shy of Anthrax's 196 years, I haven't heard or read anything about this being the last album. Lars himself says he'd like to keep the band going into his 70's.

72 Seasons = 18 years, supposedly the time we are influenced by our parents and formed in their shadow (as per the gospel similar according to James).

4 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Last album? Where did you hear that?

Despite it taking 153 years for Metallica to record something, just slightly shy of Anthrax's 196 years, I haven't heard or read anything about this being the last album. Lars himself says he'd like to keep the band going into his 70's.

72 Seasons = 18 years, supposedly the time we are influenced by our parents and formed in their shadow (as per the gospel similar according to James).

I dont know i heard from forums in turkey. Maybe thats wrong. But anyways maybe thats wrong but I heard it.

On 11/29/2022 at 12:28 AM, helvete said:

I looked again and again in Albums. I thought you guys erased it.

Andddd thhe new album name is ‘72 Seasons’ And I heard this album is the last album of metallica. I think this song is a little bit dimond head, motorhed and the riffs are looking like slayer or a thrash song little bit. I liked it. I hope this album will be terrific.

if this really is the last album then hopefully, they go out on a high note

I think talk about it being their last album is just like the talk that Megadeth wont record another, or Iron Maiden wont. Of course they'll do it if they can but if they have another 6 year break between albums all members are going to be in their mid 60's by the release of the next album. Lars might be dreaming of playing on stage in his 70's but after another huge world tour even he might be re-thinking those retirement plans.

Lars is currently worth aprox $350 million USD so I'd think that could be incentive enough to put down the sticks and junk the touring bus before he hits 70 even moreso than the typical aches and pains and daily fistful of pills that can often accompany old age. Unlike Lemmy, I've never gotten the impression that Lars was some kind of a rock til you drop, I'll quit when they pry these sticks from my cold dead hands, carry me off the stage in my coffin kind of dude.

Now MegaDave is reportedly worth somewhere between $14 and $30 million. Certainly more than enough for us regular folk to retire comfortably on and build an attached heated outhouse with a golden throne if we so desire, but it doesn't have the same psycological weight as $350 mill. So Dave might be more motivated than little Lars to carry on a few years past the point where everyone around him is telling him it's time to hang it up.

Just listened to it again. It's fine. James sounds like he has a cold and drums sound too perfect (maybe they just program them now) but otherwise decent for five minutes.

My heart always sinks when the press release says "77 minutes" like it is a badge of honour. 

The other day I was reading an old guy from Exodus say "back in the day we all went to see Metallica for Dave Mustaine 'cos he was funny as shit." Got me thinking, when the AI gets up to it you'll be able to go to a virtual gig with the energy and hunger of the original line-up....and then get new music from that line up.

Was in a record store at the weekend and last last two Megadeth CDs (neither of which I have heard) were less than £7 each and I still wasn't motivated enough to buy them. 

But Mustaine in Metallica in '82. I'd buy that for a dollar.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

When the AI gets up to it, soulless electronic dance music and teenie-bopper pop are the only kinds of music it's going to make.

You're thinking about it like there is only one AI computer and only a select few will have access to it. No doubt a lot of pop music will be generated, but it's not like there is a processing limit.

You'll be able to ask your own AI bot for whatever you want, bespoke to your specifications. It is even possible that you, being the one that asked for it (i.e. "programmed it") will own the copyright. 

4 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

You're thinking about it like there is only one AI computer and only a select few will have access to it. No doubt a lot of pop music will be generated, but it's not like there is a processing limit.

You'll be able to ask your own AI bot for whatever you want, bespoke to your specifications. It is even possible that you, being the one that asked for it (i.e. "programmed it") will own the copyright. 

First of all, I will most likely be dead before we see any of this become reality. Maybe my kid will get into music in a few years here and possibly he will live to see something like this. He likes when I play my music, but he hasn't latched onto any specific extreme metal bands or anything yet.  But he did spend the entire summer annoying me by singing some "Fly Me to the Moon" song from the 1950's that he heard on TV in his high pitched 8 year old vocie. And once he knew it annoyed me, he did it even more. That's my boy. But so far he hasn't shown any interest in diving deep into genres or bands nor has he asked for any audio playback equipment or anything. But he has asked me in the car "Dad, is this rock & roll?"

But my take on this AI music generation business is very simple. It seems clear to me that certain kinds of music lend themselves to artificial replication better than others. Metal will not be one of those genres. Think of a drum machine. Many people such as yourself seem to have a real problem with programmed drum machines infiltrating your music because even if the drums are 90% there, not having that missing intangible human 10% ruins everything for you - once you've found out it's a drum machine. Now me, I couldn't care less about drum machines because the drums aren't my focal point. I'd be totally fine with every band I listen to using drum machines if they wanted. But to have every instrument and every voice and every single sound you hear in the whole song as well as all the songwriting be artificial?

I don't care what anyone says my friend, there is no way AI will ever be able to successfully replicate most genres of music because I believe the problem of successfully accounting for and adjusting for those intangible human imperfection and emotion factors will just prove too insurmountable. I think it could learn to handle some EDM and basic pop melodies fairly well though. I even think it could eventually be taught to half-ass it on some other genres, and some portion of music fans would surely be satisfied with that. Look at some of the heinous crap that sells tens of millions even now.

But the discerning music fan such as you or I or most of our other metal comrades here would not be fooled and would not be in any way satisfied with or accepting of a facsimile. I would rather listen to my kid sing Fly Me to the Moon over and over again in the next room or just learn how to finger an acoustic guitar, strum it on my knee and sing to myself than listen to mainstream AI generated metal. Which you know damn well would end up sounding like a poor amalgamation of the 20 worst mainstream nu-metal, metalcore, deathcore and butt rock bands you've ever heard. Lamb of god meets Balloon-knot meets 5FDP meets Bring Me the Horizon meets Limp Bizkunt meets Kid Rock meets Linkin Park...to the 100th power. I'm sure if I had to I could just look up some filthy Irish limericks, set them to some rudimentary music and amuse myself for days on end by making them as downright filthy and humorous as possible.