Tristania

Skadi

Tristania was one of the most solid and recognizable Gothic Metal bands from the late-90s/2000s, but just a couple months ago they announced their complete cease of activity. Tristania is no more.

The band was founded in 1996 by Morten Veland, Einar Moen and Kenneth Olsson. Soon after they were joined by Anders Høyvik Hidle, Rune Østerhus and Vibeke Stene. During this time they released Widow's Weeds and Beyond the Veil. I consider this the first era.

The second era started with the departure of Morten Veland. Østen Bergøy and Kjetil Ingebrethsen joined the band in 2001. In 2005 Svein Terje Solvang would join the band. Between 2001 and 2007 they released World of Glass, Ashes and Illumination.

The third era began with the departure of Vibeke Stene in 2007 followed by Svein Terje Solvang, Rune Østerhus, Kenneth Olson and Østen Bergøy in the following years up to 2010. During this time the band was reformed with Mariangela Demurtas, Ole Vistnes, Gyri Smørdal Losnegaard, Kjetil Nordhus and Tarald Lie. The first release with the new lineup was Rubicon in 2010. Then in 2013 they released Darkest White.

I love the first two albums, and I liked the direction they were taking in the early 2000s. I was concerned when Vibeke announced her retirement, and then when Solvang, Olson, Bergøy and Østerhus also left I started to feel disconnected from the band. I tried to be positive but I just couldn't get into the reformed Tristania. The recent announcement about the end of Tristania is sad, but I feel like the band that I loved ended many years ago.

I'll rank the albums and link one song from each of them in case you're interested in giving them a listen.

7. Rubicon (2010)

Hmm. I don't want to sound harsh but if there's one word I'd use to describe this album it'd be 'unpleasant'. It's like they were trying to sound like Lacuna Coil, I don't know.

This song --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4GTG9L0594  is the one I choose to post here, not because I think it's good but because it encapsulates the many problems I have with this album.

6. Darkest White (2013)

This one is better than Rubicon but still... I just can't get into it. I listened to it a handful of times and I just can't remember much of it. It's bland and forgettable but more tolerable than Rubicon.

I guess Himmelfall is the best song of Darkest White --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vfgU1M71CE

5. Ashes (2005)

From here on I think all of them are good.

To me Ashes sounds very melancholic, as if it's the aftermath to the anger in World of Glass. There's an elegance to the melodies here that I can't forget.

Shadowman has a perfect atmosphere, this is my recomendation --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r8EBuZs0E4

4. Illumination (2007)

I'm probably very biased here, but I love Illumination. Back then I listened to it a lot, almost everyday. I'm not sure why I connected so much with it, many fans considered it the weakest album to date. The production is cleaner, giving an interesting edge to the atmosphere of this album. Very enjoyable.

The Ravens has always been my favorite song from Illumination --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL1jLY9bPXE

3. Beyond the Veil (1999)

Absolutely fantastic, you can tell Morten Veland gave it all in this. It's probably the most refined version of the 'old' Tristania, after an amazing first album they went on to make a very solid follow-up.

Beyond its veil of darkness there's a soul, something very special. Powerful and unforgettable.

I'm probably being predictable here, but Angina is the standout to me --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lJzFsPiYSM

2. World of Glass (2001)

What can I say, I like the direction they took here and how 'modern' (well, for 2001 lol) it sounds. The atmosphere is fantastic, there's anger and melancholy in this album and I love it. It's probably one of my most played albums ever, the first time I listened to it I was fascinated.

Crushed Dreams is one of my favorite songs ever --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n34AMDBu0A

1. Widow's Weeds (1998)

A dark and beautiful masterpiece. It definitely stands the test of time, it still sounds amazing. I cannot emphasize enough how much I love this album. It marked a period of my life. 

My favorite song has always been My Lost Lenore --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVV7XZIcFiU

That'd be all for now. Any Tristania fans around here? I'd love to read your thoughts.

I came into extreme metal in the mid aughts and went through a goth beauty/beast/symphonic phase and still go back to those albums on occasion. I came in on Ashes. I dig everything up to Ashes pretty well. Beyond the Veil, of course is a classic of the genre and probably revisit that one the most. Widow Weeds is cool, too. I think they veered a little too far into the "pretty vocals" sound on World of Glass but I still enjoy individual tracks on that one as well. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies