Movie Thread/Now Watching

AlSymerz

There is a horror movie thread but unless my searching failed me, which it could have, I can't see a general movie thread.

(If such a thread exists feel free to move this post)

I've spent the last week or so returning to the View Askewniverse, starting at the original Clerks and watching all the films in order up to Clerks III.

I honestly hope I never grow up too much to not enjoy the immature, drug fucked, humour of the View Askew team. I don't know how many times I've seen these movies, other than Dogma which I've only seen three times and of course Clerks III which only came out recently, but I still get a laugh out of them more than 20 years on.

What are others watching?

The old Movies thread was inactive for a long time and we eventually locked it along with a bunch of other threads that we were planning to archive. The archive thing probably isn't going to happen anymore. It's all good. Nice to have a thread that maybe isn't just about horror films. I think the only one of those Kevin Smith films I've seen more than once is Mallrats. 

We just watched both of those Enola Holmes movies on Netflix. Fun, fluffy, forgettable. My wife and I generally have pretty different taste in movies but we can agree on the need to turn our brains off and unwind. Planning to watch the new Macbeth with Denzel Washington soon and compare it to the live adaptation we saw last weekend, but that's less of a cotton-candy experience.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New Netflix movie worth checking out: Emily the Criminal starring Aubrey Plaza whom my wife and I are watching in an HBO series. I've got my eyes on you, girl. She's compelling as an actor-had one of those, hey that's the actress in.....moments.

Somewhat slow to start, but engaging thriller that takes a twist on the revenge flick-a disillusioned millennial who, like uh, so many of us, realize that that the system is fixed and stacked against working people.

So, Emily has a criminal record from her youth and is  saddled with college debt realizes the Capitalist system is rigged against her....just a girl trying to make it on the streets as it were-she's born to lose and gets into credit card Freud as a desperate means to get out of her situation-a woman who decides to break the law-you know-dirty deeds done dirt cheap-and in the process turns into that badass chick you root for.

One of those stories, where the toughs underestimate a woman who punches back when the going gets tough and will go to great lengths to survive in a dog eat dog world. So, when the shit gets real, maybe she's over her head or maybe she's smarter than the dirty boys and low lifes that think they can roll her....check it out. 

On 12/11/2022 at 5:57 AM, markm said:

New Netflix movie worth checking out: Emily the Criminal starring Aubrey Plaza whom my wife and I are watching in an HBO series. I've got my eyes on you, girl. She's compelling as an actor-had one of those, hey that's the actress in.....moments.

Somewhat slow to start, but engaging thriller that takes a twist on the revenge flick-a disillusioned millennial who, like uh, so many of us, realize that that the system is fixed and stacked against working people.

So, Emily has a criminal record from her youth and is  saddled with college debt realizes the Capitalist system is rigged against her....just a girl trying to make it on the streets as it were-she's born to lose and gets into credit card Freud as a desperate means to get out of her situation-a woman who decides to break the law-you know-dirty deeds done dirt cheap-and in the process turns into that badass chick you root for.

One of those stories, where the toughs underestimate a woman who punches back when the going gets tough and will go to great lengths to survive in a dog eat dog world. So, when the shit gets real, maybe she's over her head or maybe she's smarter than the dirty boys and low lifes that think they can roll her....check it out. 

Why does this post read like it was written by a AI, or Mark had a stroke?

• 2 weeks later...

I’m burnt out on superhero movies these days, probably thanks to the decade spent on Marvel’s Infinity saga. Actually even before the pandemic, I wasn’t seeing movies in the cinema because it’s too dark for my eyes to adjust, and even if that wasn’t the case I can’t think of the last movie which interested me enough to bother going to see.

As a longtime comic fan, superhero movies peaked with Infinity War and were finished with Endgame. The novelty of a shared universe has worn off, the movies follow virtually the same formula every time, now and they've done nothing to really generate any new interest in the world they've built. They're still making gobs of money, but the excitement isn't there anymore...and that's the Disney/Marvel movies, which were more good than bad.

The DC/Warner Brothers films have almost universally been garbage with the exceptions of the first Wonder Woman and Shazam (and maybe the second Suicide Squad). It's going to be interesting to see if James Gunn can actually build them a franchise now that he's running the creative department, or did the WB fuck around for too long and miss their window...personally I think it's the latter.

...all that is just a long winded way of saying Black Adam wasn't worth the money used to purchase camera film. The only thing it did well was bring back Henry Cavill as Superman just long enough to kick him to the curb again

I sat through Black Adam also this past week.  I have seen worse but the storyline was nothing short of crap and it felt like lots of money got spent in the visual effects department as opposed to investing anything in a half decent script.

Also caught Halloween Ends the other night.  Notwithstanding that the movie is about ten years+ too late (they should have ended this fucking ages ago) it was actually one of the better movies in the franchise, focusing more on the less than pretty aspects of Haddonfield in general other than just how big a murderous twat Michael Myers is.  Yes he still managed to overcome horrendous injuries and stand/sit up due to the "evil" that flowed through his veins but they did at least tone down the senseless rampage that normally accompanies his introduction to the movie every time.

On 12/31/2022 at 12:54 AM, SurgicalBrute said:

The DC/Warner Brothers films have almost universally been garbage with the exceptions of the first Wonder Woman and Shazam (and maybe the second Suicide Squad).

I think The Batman by Matt Reeves was really good. Felt like a solid detective story, going back to Batmans origins before he became a gadget/monster show.

But why are studios demanding it?

Is it the want of the people? I'm not a blockbuster movie type person and don't really mix with people that are, but when the topic comes up most I know seem to be sick of fake and over done CGI. Many even think CGI, big bangs etc are often used as substance because of lack of story line.

Is it the studios? CGI costs big bucks in a lot of movies, but big name stars cost a lot more, marrying the two means movies have to make a shit load of money just to break even. Hollywood doesn't seem to be making many efforts to cut costs and the studios seem happy to push the larger costs included with CGI into nearly everything.

Is it the producers/movie makers wanting to out do each other? I think that statement probably only stands up with a few of the really big names and there is many who just can't compete.

For me I'm sick of remakes, redo, rehashes and origins stories. I would prefer original content (although lets face it nothing is truly original) even if it's not great to yet another movie sequel or remake. Obviously many people disagree with that because they flock to the latest remake, or they drool over a new chapter in a story they've watched before, and that's fine I can live with that because I don't rush out to the movies. I probably still wouldn't rush to the movies if they made them more to my liking, but I'd be more interested in them on my own screen.

As long as what they're doing is making them boatloads of money they will keep doing it. If it ain't broke don't fix it. For every person (or orca) like you or me out there who doesn't watch any of these mainstream big budget movies or care about what's coming out next or pay any attention at all to any of this Hollywood blockbuster bullshit, there are 1,000 others who love it. They can't get enough of it and they cannot wait for the day when they can happily go back the next time to fork over their hard earned money to sit in the dark and lap some more of this shit up. And even when they come away complaining that the movie sucked, the plot sucked and the CGI sucked...they will likely still be only to happy to go see the next one and the next one and the next one after that, irrationally hoping maybe this time it'll be good. They can't fucking help themselves. If everyone stopped going to see this crap and their big budget bullshit started losing money, then they'd have no choice but to go back to the drawing board and come up with a new business model and give us better content. Until that happens expect to see loads more of the same shit. The cinematic equivalent of Eskimo Callboy or Ice Nine Kills.