Random metal thoughts

Dead1

7 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

...well Deathhammer and Napalm Death, which is why I picked up on the death thing. NDT sounds decent. I was not aware of this "stenchcore" of which you speak. Isn't Max Cavalera's a pioneer of that genre? 

Goatpenis has comedy/shock value, sure, but I can't see myself being inspired to get into it. Or get it into me.

I always hated Judas Priest*. I never knew what it was or what it meant. I just knew Judas was the bad guy in a fairytale and my parents might not like it. It just seemed an unnecessary conflict that could be avoided if they had just called themselves something more benign like Drainpipe.

*please do not quote me out of context on that one.

"Judas Priest!" was the exclamation a lot of people my parents' age used when they wanted to say "Jesus Christ!" but they were worried about taking the Lord's name in vain and possibly even risking going to hell. Just like some older folks said shoot or sugar instead of shit or fudge instead of fuck or heck instead of hell. They must've really thought god was up there taking notes on how many times they cursed. Don't want to be taunting god now.

Stenchcore is the name given to the heavier more metallic crust that has more death metal influence. There's that diluted word death again. There are several other micro-genres of crust like D-beat and neocrust that lean a bit more towards the hardcore anarcho punk side of things where crust was originally derived from. Here's a link if you're interested in learning about crust, this guy typed up a really good overview. Crust is my 3rd favorite sub-genre of metal right behind black and death. A lot of it's heavier than death metal and I really enjoy the extreme left wing anarcho kill all the politicians and corporations themes. Some days it's all I want to listen to. I only really found out about all these 90's and 2000's crust bands about a 12 - 15 years ago from my buddy Marko who posts here sometimes. Amebix from Devon in the west were the pioneers of UK crust back in the mid 80's, but I'd consider them (arguably) to be proto-crust. Discharge and Crass are other main influences.

https://www.reddit.com/r/crustpunk/comments/bwrrbp/the_essential_crust_punk_albums_for_beginners/

41 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

"Judas Priest!" was the exclamation a lof of people my parents' age used when they wanted to say "Jesus Christ!" but they were worried about taking the Lord's name in vain and possibly even risking going to hell. Just like some older folks said shoot or sugar instead of shit or fudge instead of fuck or heck instead of hell. They must've really thought god was up there taking notes on how many times they cursed. Don't want to be taunting god now.

Stenchcore is the name given to the heavier more metallic crust that has more death metal influence. There's that diluted word death again. There are several other micro-genres of crust like D-beat and neocrust that lean a bit more towards the hardcore anarcho punk side of things where crust was originally derived from. Here's a link if you're interested in learning about crust, this guy typed up a really good overview. Crust is my 3rd favorite sub-genre of metal right behind black and death. A lot of it's heavier than death metal and I really enjoy the extreme left wing anarcho kill all the politicians and corporations themes. Some days it's all I want to listen to. I only really found out about all these 90's and 2000's crust bands about a 12 - 15 years ago from my buddy Marko who posts here sometimes. Amebix from Devon in the west were the pioneers of UK crust back in the mid 80's, but I'd consider them (arguably) to be proto-crust. Discharge and Crass are other main influences.

https://www.reddit.com/r/crustpunk/comments/bwrrbp/the_essential_crust_punk_albums_for_beginners/

Fascinating. I guess I did somehow know that "Judas Priest!" was a saying, but I didn't know it was necessarily a substitute for Jesus Christ. If we're giving bands names based on random sayings that don't mean anything, my next band is "Cor Blimey, me old China!"

Now, I do remember my mum having a go at me for saying "Cor Blimey" (I was going through a cockney phase, as you do) because it meant "god, blind me" which she apparently found offensive. 

The Crust thing is interesting too. I think stenchcore might be for me given the death metal parallels. I really like Misery Index which has that rabid anti-establishment vibe...but the drum sound is too plastic and now they've gone and signed with Century Media. Way to be independent and stick it to the man. Their freedom to release music on bandcamp has been taken away. Fucking sell-outs.

A stenchcore band sounds like it wouldn't sell out. 

I have always had a real prejudice against punk. It just seemed too image driven for my sensibilities. It goes back to that sub-culture discussion the other day. 

I always assumed punks were dipshits. I mean, metalheads are hardly intellectual giants most of the time, but punks occupy a special realm of moronity.

Yet, I had a punk flatmate once and he was the sweetest guy. He played classical guitar of all things.

Goddamn it, Bolt Thrower is on the stenchcore list....so now I've gone down a BT rabbit hole. The full dynamic range  editions are on bandcamp. 

6 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

"Judas Priest!" was the exclamation a lot of people my parents' age used when they wanted to say "Jesus Christ!" but they were worried about taking the Lord's name in vain and possibly even risking going to hell. Just like some older folks said shoot or sugar instead of shit or fudge instead of fuck or heck instead of hell. They must've really thought god was up there taking notes on how many times they cursed. Don't want to be taunting god now.

Before turning my computer off last night I was thinking about Jono's Priest comment and how the name never really bothered me or anyone I knew. But yeah it was an exclamation. I haven't thought about people using it for decades but your post reminded me instantly of multiple people.

Have a buddy lives in Chicago who has tickets to see that tour tomorrow night in Joliet. Or tonight I should probably say because it's 4am. He's worried they might cancel the show in light of what's happened with the roof falling in at the Rockford show last night. Weird to me that they're playing 3 days in a row all around the Chicagoland area.

Yeah they're saying there were 260 people inside. Show hadn't even started yet, this was just before 8pm so they were all still waiting for the first band to take the stage. Basically the ceiling collapsed right over the pit landing on anyone who was standing in front of the stage. The gig hadn't been cancelled, it was still on, the band just went on social media and told people not to come right after this shit happened for obvious reasons, knowing that a lot of people don't even plan to arrive at a 4 band show like this until after some of the openers have finished playing.

And it wasn't a hurricane, it was a tornado that spun up. There are nearly half a million people without power tonight across 10 states and 4 dead after severe weather tore through vast portions of the central USA.

Tin tacks eh? I love discovering these little differences, up here we say brass tacks.

So are you saying you guys don't ever get tornados down under there, or you just call them something different than we do?

And you're not wrong, the band did go on FB and announce the gig was cancelled. But only because the roof had just fallen in. I was just clarifying for anyone else who might be interested as more facts become available.

We get cyclones and mostly tropical cyclones up north. Depending on where the information comes from as to what the exact difference is. Some say tropical cyclones are bigger and last longer but others suggest Tornadoes are bigger. However the main thing is they are both big fucking circular wind storms that are best avoided if possible. I believe it's a geographical thing. Cyclones here, Tornadoes in most if not all parts of the US, Typhoons in Asia etc.

And I was just riding you for the shit stir but didn't hang around for the response.

4 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

We get cyclones and mostly tropical cyclones up north. Depending on where the information comes from as to what the exact difference is. Some say tropical cyclones are bigger and last longer but others suggest Tornadoes are bigger. However the main thing is they are both big fucking circular wind storms that are best avoided if possible. I believe it's a geographical thing. Cyclones here, Tornadoes in most if not all parts of the US, Typhoons in Asia etc.

And I was just riding you for the shit stir but didn't hang around for the response.

No no no Orca, you've got it all wrong. Cyclones are big tropical storms like our hurricanes, (or typhoons, 3 names for the same thing.) these storms are hundreds of miles across. Tornados are small funnel clouds in a localized area, maybe 300 to 500 meters across. They seem to pop up out of severe thunderstorms, there's no telling where one might touch down and destroy a house or all the houses in a street or a trailer park or a small town. There is a strip of the midwestern USA right up the middle they call tornado alley because for whatever reason they have a exponentiually  higher propensity for the formation of tornados than we do in the rest of the country.

I wasn't shit stirring last night, I was genuinely just trying to correct your apparent misunderstanding of what had happened in Illinois since you had gotten several details of the story wrong. Maybe because your back hurt and you couldn't be fucked to investigate further. Don't worry my friend, that was just a one-off, I'll go back to poking you and shit stirring you again after this, I promise OK?

Top 10 Close Tornadoes, this is some really cool close up footage of tornados from storm chasers.

A tornado can come down the street ripping roofs off or smashing some houses into tiny little pieces and leaving others untouched.

Tornado aftermath in New Orleans metro: Follow live coverage of damage  reports, outages | Weather | nola.com

EF-3 Arabi tornado carved 11.5 mile path of destruction, NWS says |  wwltv.com

Assessing tornado damage from weekend could take days, officials say : NPR

Absolute devastation in Mississippi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Telling it like it is:

CRADLE OF FILTH's DANI FILTH: 'SPOTIFY Are The Biggest Criminals In The World' - BLABBERMOUTH.NET

I wish more bands and artists would call out Spotify. Time for Lars to put on his big boy trousers again.

There is a pretty mainstream acceptance that Spotify is shit, but yet the cattle continue to use it. I read this just today:

The curse of the Harry and Meghan media empire: so much content, but we only care about the Windsors | Marina Hyde | The Guardian

".For Spotify’s monetisation guy to suggest the company has been short-changed or rinsed by the Sussexes really feels like posting the firm’s Ls online. I mean, what did they expect? I’m sure we’re all devastated that the obviously doomed Meghan-and-Harry deal didn’t work out for a platform that pays music artists as little as a third of a cent per stream, and whose biggest podcast has become a cynically counterproductive haven for anti-vax bullshit and other misinformation. But somehow I find the tears struggling to come. "

My metal thoughts of the day :

1. Will Dark Angel enter the studio in 2023 to create a successor to Time Does Not Heal, despite the tragic loss of Jim Durkin?

2. Will the reformation of Forbidden continue and result in a new album in 2024?

3. And I'll add a 3rd thought! ^_^ Still on the subject of Dark Angel, I'd heard that in the 90s the band had been working on new material for an album to be called The Atrocity Exhibition (yes, I know, like the two Exodus albums). When the band split up, Gene Hoglan is said to have jealously guarded these tracks. I've always wondered if these tracks ever leaked out? After a lot of research on the internet, I'd found a few leads that suggested they had, but of course it never led to anything concrete.