Random metal thoughts

Dead1

5 hours ago, markm said:

I should do a CF deep dive. The only album I have is Into the Pandemonium. I feel I've got Warrior's sound covered with the two Triptykon albums altho I never listened to Monotheist. 

Morbid Tales, Emperor's Return and To Mega Therion are musts- totally phenonemal stuff.  Proto death/black/thrash with riffs to die for!

On 11/24/2022 at 7:35 AM, navybsn said:

Triumph of Death at MDF this year (and have them on the agenda for Hell's Heroes next year) and they played a few of the classics. Just fucking crushing live. Course, it didn't hurt that Jamie Lee Cussigh (aka Slaughterwytch) is one of the hottest bass players I've been lucky enough to see live. She's smoking and of course was playing a Rick which of course is consistent with Navy Commandment #1 & 2. 1) Chick bass players rule. 2) Any band with a bass player on a Rick is going to slap.

Saw them - and her  - at Hymns To The Dead in Hobart in June. And I agree with all this.

17 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

My vote goes to Vanja. She's more 'exotic' looking facially and I was never into bleached blondes. On the other hand Jamie Lee clearly has the better more voluptuous figure. Looks like they might both be in the lineup of Tom's new band Niryth so hopefully we can see them onstage together and make up our minds. I'll have to assume one of them won't be playing bass, unless he's going with two bass players which seems unlikely, but who knows.

Tom G. Warrior reveals new TRIPTYKON is near completion, and his new band  NIRYTH is almost done recording as well. : r/Metal

Wow, I had no idea Tom had a new band. Hope it's not a derivative of Triptykon/CF, or worse, the death of Triptykon.

As for looks, I think the photo above was pretty fuckng unflattering for all parties, excluding the handrail. But generally, I'd go with Vanja too.

On 11/26/2022 at 10:58 AM, Thatguy said:

Saw them - and her  - at Hymns To The Dead in Hobart in June. And I agree with all this.

I was thinking of going but cost of petrol and accommodation put me off!   Road to Hobart is currently a mess with semi-permanent road works so it's a 3 hour journey and even longer at night due to fog and road obstacles (ie roadworks).   Makes traveling just for gig hard.

Missed Blood Incantation and Dead Congregation for same reason.

------

Is Anthrax kind of dead?  Just noticed Charlie Benante is committing a bit more long term to playing with Pantera ie up to 2024!  Anthrax keep talking about a new album but it seems just hollow talk as nothing is known.  And Charlies isn't just the drummer but also the main song writer!

On 11/25/2022 at 11:20 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Tom G. Warrior Fires Back At Mia Wallace For Recent Comments Regarding  Niryth | Metal Anarchy

Jamie Lee

Vanja

Delineation II: Souls

My vote goes to Vanja. She's more 'exotic' looking facially and I was never into bleached blondes. On the other hand Jamie Lee clearly has the better more voluptuous figure. Looks like they might both be in the lineup of Tom's new band Niryth so hopefully we can see them onstage together and make up our minds. I'll have to assume one of them won't be playing bass, unless he's going with two bass players which seems unlikely, but who knows.

Tom G. Warrior reveals new TRIPTYKON is near completion, and his new band  NIRYTH is almost done recording as well. : r/Metal

That's Mia Wallace (the blond)...she plays with Abbath now.

This is Jamie Lee Cussigh, who looks a lot like Vanja Šlajh from a distance. My buddy (Bob) and I thought it was the same bass player in Triptykon and Triumph of Death until we saw Vanja standing off to the side while they were on stage.

750895_artist.jpg?1107

50 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

That's Mia Wallace (the blond)...she plays with Abbath now.

This is Jamie Lee Cussigh. who looks a lot like Vanja Šlajh from a distance. My buddy (Bob) and I thought it was the same bass player in Triptykon and Triumph of Death until we saw Vanja standing off to the side while they were on stage.

750895_artist.jpg?1107

Yeah different chick than the picture GG posted. I thought it looked weird, but hair color aside angles in photos can make it difficult to tell sometimes. And Jamie Lee is hot, but that Rick is the real eye candy in that shot.

14 minutes ago, navybsn said:

Yeah different chick than the picture GG posted. I thought it looked weird, but hair color aside angles in photos can make it difficult to tell sometimes. And Jamie Lee is hot, but that Rick is the real eye candy in that shot.

Yeah...I just happen to be familiar with Mia Wallace because she used to play in some black metal band called The True Endless. The music was mediocre, but her stage name was Soulfucker, which cracked me up because it was so fucking metal

I like the confidence Tom shows in the recording industry. Apparently he told BMG he didn't want Cold Lake appearing in the reissues because it added nothing to the CF catalogue and they agreed. But he's got no doubt after he dies some record company is going to ignore such a request and there will be Cold Lake reissues available in short time to milk a few pennies from it.

19 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I like the confidence Tom shows in the recording industry. Apparently he told BMG he didn't want Cold Lake appearing in the reissues because it added nothing to the CF catalogue and they agreed. But he's got no doubt after he dies some record company is going to ignore such a request and there will be Cold Lake reissues available in short time to milk a few pennies from it.

I would certainly buy Cold Lake. 

I am actually always surprised some record company hasn't reissued the first several Pantera albums.  I would actually buy them!

7 hours ago, Dead1 said:

I was thinking of going but cost of petrol and accommodation put me off!   Road to Hobart is currently a mess with semi-permanent road works so it's a 3 hour journey and even longer at night due to fog and road obstacles (ie roadworks).   Makes traveling just for gig hard.

My elderly in-laws and a brother-in-law and his family live in Hobart so I'm going to be visiting off and on anyway so I time the visits to coincide with Dark Mofo when I can. Now my son has left Sydney I will get to fewer gigs in Sydney.

10 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

This is Jamie Lee Cussigh, who looks a lot like Vanja Šlajh from a distance. My buddy (Bob) and I thought it was the same bass player in Triptykon and Triumph of Death until we saw Vanja standing off to the side while they were on stage.

750895_artist.jpg?1107

Ok, then it's a hotness-tie, with Jamie and Vanja on a shared #3 with the Rickenbacker as #2 and #1

11 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Is Anthrax kind of dead?  Just noticed Charlie Benante is committing a bit more long term to playing with Pantera ie up to 2024!  Anthrax keep talking about a new album but it seems just hollow talk as nothing is known.  And Charlies isn't just the drummer but also the main song writer!

Maybe he fell out with Scott and this is his way of getting out of talking to him.

I am pretty sure Charlie will end up dropping off Pantera stuff. He's had problems with his hands in the past (although that may be from intense touring night-in-night-out - Pantera may be a little less intense)

5 hours ago, Sheol said:

Ok, then it's a hotness-tie, with Jamie and Vanja on a shared #3 with the Rickenbacker as #2 and #1

Well I wouldn't call it a tie exactly. Now that (thanks to Surge) we know who's who, clearly one of them is more 'curvy' than the other, and Vanja (who for the record is only 38) almost looks like she could be Jamie's mom. Unless you happen to be into the whole mother/daughter fantasy, which is your business, I'm not judging Johan.

20 hours ago, Dead1 said:

If I were a betting man I'd put my money on the idea that Scott and Charlie are scraping the barrel and struggling to live up to the hype they gave the new songs. So projects like Pantera, like all the shitty bands Scott has, Joey's Journey band, Jon's Shadow Fall and Living Wreckage projects and Frank's solo stuff have just become convenient excuses to push the new album out and hope that fans actually get desperate enough for a new album that they'll be thankful for anything. But one look at most forums, fan sites etc shows that that isn't working fans are turning against them in droves, and they didn't have that many in the first place.

I'd say Body Count is metal-adjacent, at least from what I've heard, but M-A does have a seriously wonky system of who gets to belong. Mortiis is on because of the association with Emperor and dungeon synth is a "loosely" related genre. If we say BC is crossover, which I could see an argument for, then they should be included too. I think the problem is "where do you draw the line?" and that's where M-A (and most metalheads) fail to come up with a clear answer.