Random metal thoughts

Dead1

2 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Not with Marvel where they stay relatively true to the comic books which in turn means predictability and staleness. as most Marvel comic book characters were fully tapped out by 1990s in terms of progress.  Hence the idiotic plot lines to reset the comics and then restart telling the same stories they've been doing since 1960s.

No idea about Marvel, I don't think I have ever seen a Marvel movie.

2 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

That seems to be the general model of most television and movie studios these days...Buy rights to thing with preexisting/nostalgic fanbase. Gut it of everything resembling the original property that fans actually wanted to see, so head writer(s) (who will almost universally claim to be big fans of the original IP) can actually just film the failed vanity project they really wanted to make. Act shocked when project is rejected by fans of IP, but also fails to find a new audience....repeat.

This is the truth is a lot of pop culture not just movies but video games, role playing as well as music (eg our the mainstream aspects of our beloved metal is run mainly as a nostalgia show).

Western society's obsession with profit combined with a brutal IP protections and ageing populations are now acting against creativity.   

Why risk money into something new and unique when you can churn out some unoriginal big name franchise that will get people spending their money even if they hate it?

8 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

No idea about Marvel, I don't think I have ever seen a Marvel movie.

Stuff like Iron Man, Avengers, Thor, Captain America, Black Panther, Black Widow, Dr Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, Hulk etc etc?

Marvel is owned by Disney.

I've just never had the interest in super hero movies and every time they added another character it seemed like too much to effort to figure out who they were. I didn't even read Marvel comics as a kid/teen/adult, I read Archie, Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse and the like, although I might of had a few Ghost Rider's at one stage.

When we were kids we got a heap of comics from our grand parents neighbour. A lot of them were late 50's, early 60's and he bought them weekly and gave us the ones he got sick of so we didn't argue at freebies. Occasionally we got some Dennis The Menace and Little Eva type ones but for some reason he wasn't a huge fan of Archie or Disney, he'd read them but rarely keep them.

Over the years I have been know to pick up a Footrot Flats or Edna from NZ, or even an Asterix or Tin Tin, but I don't buy them

12 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

They basically have the rights to all of the Lord of the Rings, the Appendices, and the Hobbit...so they have about 75% of it. What they want to do is write about stuff that happened during the Silmarillion, which as you said, they don't have the rights for, because there's slightly more wiggle room to set stories during that time. The thing is, for all the shifting, pulling and pushing they do to make it fit, they'd have been better off just going with something original

My first thought when the show started is that the beginning was almost a rehash of LOTR itself. A long catch up sequence. I wondered why they didn't just go back to the actual origin story of Morgoth, before Sauron. I had read The Silmarillion years ago and that is where all that detail would have been...which they don't have the rights to.

So the whole thing is a waste of time. And the actress playing Galadriel just doesn't suit it at all. She's short and petulant, in no way portraying an ethereal calmness and strength that Cate Blanchett nailed.

The only character I liked was the elf ranger guy...and he wasn't even in the last episode. And the dwarves were fun.

No. The only way to do it was to use Middle Earth as a backdrop and just tell a new adventure story which may have loosely coincided with actual Tolkien-described events.

I played Middle Earth role-playing games as a teenager and we had a great time, but never once cared about wider intrigues. 

After a few seasons, with good writers on board, THEN maybe pull together some plot threads that hint at a bigger story and creation of the one ring. 

But they've blown it now.

Hurts to say this but fuck Iron Maiden.

In 2020 they delayed the Australian tour to 2022.  Yet no Aussie (or Asian) tour in 2022.

And they have just announced a massive European tour for June-August 2023.

But still no Australian tour.

I doubt they will do one in first half of 2023 - it already would have been announced by now (especially given all European dates released for June-August).

Already rumblings that if they do tour Australia or Asia Pacific it won't be until 2024 at the earliest.

Also anyone else find it ironic they used a Japanese theme for Senjutsu yet they aren't touring Japan?

4 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

For shits and giggles I thought I'd listen to the new Machine Head - halfway through the first song, I had to turn it off.  I love the first two album but there's something intrinsically cringeworthy about the band, even when they're trying to play metal.

They had exactly one decent song back in the day (Davidian) and I would argue only the live version of that is good. Then again I objectively hate that band as well as Vio-lence, so my opinion isn't worth much. They could play a live gig in my front yard and I wouldn't go.

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

They could play a live gig in my front yard and I wouldn't go.

I suspect I'd be out with a hose and threatening to call the police.

I liked the first two albums but I think they lost the plot after that.  Band (or Robb Flynn to be exact) are the ultimate trend hoppers.  Definition of sellout is pretty much whatever Machine Head does.

Shame as they started off well.

• 3 weeks later...

Celtic Frost get bad reviews for Cold Lake but to be honest I think Into The Pandemonium is just as big a "what the fuck moment."  I can actually sit through Cold Lake whereas Into The Pandemonium has quite a few really frustrating and irritating movements.

I do wish Into The Pandemonium kicked arse because it has one of the greatest album covers in metaldom!

3023.jpg?3045

Into The Pandemonium is totally my favorite CF release. Weird and creative. They sound like three different bands at times. I get how that could be frustrating depending on what you're looking for. Always seemed like their high point to me, also sounded like it influenced other stuff I enjoyed when I first got into it.

I guess I'm just a basic bitch.  I don't really do avant garde or even a lot of progressive or technical metal.

For me Morbid Tales, To Mega Therion and Emperors Return are where it's at with Celtic Frost.  I don't mind Vanity/Nemesis despite some commercial Megadeth vibes.

i do need to revisit Monotheist.

I totally relate to both perspectives on Into the Pandemonium. I have worshiped Celtic Frost from the very beginning. For me they were undoubtedly the most important and influential and foundational band for the kinds of extreme metal I listen to, and for me nearly everything they've ever done is completely unfuckwithable. To Mega Therion one of the top 3 metal albums of the 80's, I could go on and on about it all day. Cold Lake is not nearly as bad as it's generally made out to be, even though Tom has disavowed himself of the record and I admit it's not one of the ones I usually reach for when I'm in the mood for some Frost. I love Vanity/Nemesis end to end, think it's brilliant, never got the hate for that one.

The other caveat is that after the first couple of spins for many many years I only ever listened to the one side of Pandemonium. You know which side, side A, the metal side. Mexican Radio, Mesmerized, Inner Sanctum, Sorrows of the Moon and Babylon Fell. One of the most amazing album sides in all of metal history imo, I love every second of it. But for a long time I never bothered flipping it over to side B to listen to "the weird side" because there were no heavy riffs over there on that side calling to me. That is not until earlier this year, 35 years after it was released, when I finally made my peace with side B. Not sure what happened to change my mind, but I can honestly say I appreciate side B now. Except for One in their Pride which I don't really consider a song anyway. I still think that one's a waste of time, but I tolerate it since it's under 3 minutes.

My takeaway from this experience has been that you never know when something's gonna click into place for you. I've had to work very hard at expanding my horizons over the years because of so many people telling me how closed minded I am. It's true that when I was in my teens, 20's, 30's and even into my 40's all I really wanted from my music was non-stop heavy riffage all the time and nothing else matttered to me at all. I guess it was the internet and joining a metral forum and being exposed to other people's viewpoints which opened my eyes to more stuff outside of my own little metal bubble. Now I still have people telling me I'm closed minded to this day because I'm still not as tolerant of all kinds of different things as I could be. I still like my black and death metal to sound a certain way. I still have an inherent distaste for anything that sounds weird or "prog" or experimental or avant-garde. But I have opened myself up a lot more in recent years to a wider variety of stuff than I ever would have believed 20 years ago. 

As far as Monotheist goes I would urge our Deadly one to spend some time with it. It's not like To Mega Therion obviously, so you'll have to set those expectations aside and just think of it as a new band. I personally think it's a masterpiece, but it is over an hour long and a lot of it is somewhat slower paced and doomy and some of the longer songs can get a bit repetitive at times. So I totally understand that some people just aren't really gonnna be into that, because I'm not always in the mood for that slow doomy thing either. But still, Monotheist is undeniably the heaviest album ever to bear the CF logo and Tom's 21st century guitar tone is fucking sublime. The songs are so fucking heavy and so packed with emotion that I can sometimes feel physically drained after lisitening to it. And what more could you ask from a metal album?

And if you get into Monotheist do yourself a favor and get the two Triptykon albums because they're just more of the same awesomeness. I love that Celtic Frost's early stuff defied genre categorization, you can't pin it down to just thrash or black or death it's none of those really, while being all of those at the same time. And his later post 2006 stuff also defies sub-genre categorization. You could call it doom metal I guess, but there's so much more to it than that. If nothing else, Tom always brings you more than you thought you needed. And I'm in awe of the guy for that.

Celtic Frost - Monotheist, 2006

14 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I totally relate to both perspectives on Into the Pandemonium. I have worshiped Celtic Frost from the very beginning. For me they were undoubtedly the most important and influential and foundational band for the kinds of extreme metal I listen to, and for me nearly everything they've ever done is completely unfuckwithable. To Mega Therion one of the top 3 metal albums of the 80's, I could go on and on about it all day. Cold Lake is not nearly as bad as it's generally made out to be, even though Tom has disavowed himself of the record and I admit it's not one of the ones I usually reach for when I'm in the mood for some Frost. I love Vanity/Nemesis end to end, think it's brilliant, never got the hate for that one.

The other caveat is that after the first couple of spins for many many years I only ever listened to the one side of Pandemonium. You know which side, side A, the metal side. Mexican Radio, Mesmerized, Inner Sanctum, Sorrows of the Moon and Babylon Fell. One of the most amazing album sides in all of metal history imo, I love every second of it. But for a long time I never bothered flipping it over to side B to listen to "the weird side" because there were no heavy riffs over there on that side calling to me. That is not until earlier this year, 35 years after it was released, when I finally made my peace with side B. Not sure what happened to change my mind, but I can honestly say I appreciate side B now. Except for One in their Pride which I don't really consider a song anyway. I still think that one's a waste of time, but I tolerate it since it's under 3 minutes.

My takeaway from this experience has been that you never know when something's gonna click into place for you. I've had to work very hard at expanding my horizons over the years because of so many people telling me how closed minded I am. It's true that when I was in my teens, 20's, 30's and even into my 40's all I really wanted from my music was non-stop heavy riffage all the time and nothing else matttered to me at all. I guess it was the internet and joining a metral forum and being exposed to other people's viewpoints which opened my eyes to more stuff outside of my own little metal bubble. Now I still have people telling me I'm closed minded to this day because I'm still not as tolerant of all kinds of different things as I could be. I still like my black and death metal to sound a certain way. I still have an inherent distaste for anything that sounds weird or "prog" or experimental or avant-garde. But I have opened myself up a lot more in recent years to a wider variety of stuff than I ever would have believed 20 years ago. 

As far as Monotheist goes I would urge our Deadly one to spend some time with it. It's not like To Mega Therion obviously, so you'll have to set those expectations aside and just think of it as a new band. I personally think it's a masterpiece, but it is over an hour long and a lot of it is somewhat slower paced and doomy and some of the longer songs can get a bit repetitive at times. So I totally understand that some people just aren't really gonnna be into that, because I'm not always in the mood for that slow doomy thing either. But still, Monotheist is undeniably the heaviest album ever to bear the CF logo and Tom's 21st century guitar tone is fucking sublime. The songs are so fucking heavy and so packed with emotion that I can sometimes feel physically drained after lisitening to it. And what more could you ask from a metal album?

And if you get into Monotheist do yourself a favor and get the two Triptykon albums because they're just more of the same awesomeness. I love that Celtic Frost's early stuff defied genre categorization, you can't pin it down to just thrash or black or death it's none of those really, while being all of those at the same time. And his later post 2006 stuff also defies sub-genre categorization. You could call it doom metal I guess, but there's so much more to it than that. If nothing else, Tom always brings you more than you thought you needed. And I'm in awe of the guy for that.

Celtic Frost - Monotheist, 2006

Another band I'd throw into that DT category that I mentioned in another thread. Tom G can do no wrong. I like Cold Lake too. Wish he hadn't disavowed it but just been like "fuck yeah we did that, so what". Probably wasn't his idea in the first place though so it was easier to discard. I did see scuttlebutt somewhere that there's the possibility of another Triptykon album in the next few years. Don't remember where I saw that, but I'm completely down for it.

Never got to see CF, but I did catch Triumph of Death at MDF this year (and have them on the agenda for Hell's Heroes next year) and they played a few of the classics. Just fucking crushing live. Course, it didn't hurt that Jamie Lee Cussigh (aka Slaughterwytch) is one of the hottest bass players I've been lucky enough to see live. She's smoking and of course was playing a Rick which of course is consistent with Navy Commandment #1 & 2. 1) Chick bass players rule. 2) Any band with a bass player on a Rick is going to slap.

On 11/23/2022 at 6:33 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Yeah, I think Monotheist is my favourite CF album just because it was the first one I heard. It's absolutely massive!

On 11/23/2022 at 9:35 PM, navybsn said:

Course, it didn't hurt that Jamie Lee Cussigh (aka Slaughterwytch) is one of the hottest bass players I've been lucky enough to see live. She's smoking and of course was playing a Rick which of course is consistent with Navy Commandment #1 & 2. 1) Chick bass players rule. 2) Any band with a bass player on a Rick is going to slap.

Question is, is she hotter than Vanja Slajh who play in Triptykon?

7 hours ago, Sheol said:

Yeah, I think Monotheist is my favourite CF album just because it was the first one I heard. It's absolutely massive!

Question is, is she hotter than Vanja Slajh who play in Triptykon?

Tom G. Warrior Fires Back At Mia Wallace For Recent Comments Regarding  Niryth | Metal Anarchy

Jamie Lee

Vanja

Delineation II: Souls

My vote goes to Vanja. She's more 'exotic' looking facially and I was never into bleached blondes. On the other hand Jamie Lee clearly has the better more voluptuous figure. Looks like they might both be in the lineup of Tom's new band Niryth so hopefully we can see them onstage together and make up our minds. I'll have to assume one of them won't be playing bass, unless he's going with two bass players which seems unlikely, but who knows.

Tom G. Warrior reveals new TRIPTYKON is near completion, and his new band  NIRYTH is almost done recording as well. : r/Metal