Stoner Doom

Rexorcist

8 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

So it's difficult to say to someone, "here you might like this", or "so you liked X, maybe you'll like this"? Some how saying "if you like prog-alt-sludgedoomstoner you'll prefer this?"

My ears tell me what I like and don't like not some weird words.

No Kuke. I didn't say anything like that. No one is trying to tell you what you should like. You should absolutely go with your ears. And I'd even agree with you that sub-genre pedantry is generally a waste of time. I just said it's tough to discuss music with someone who for whatever reason is being willfully ignorant and says "I've been a metalhead for 40 years. I don't know the difference between death metal and black metal and I don't care to know." Someone who has posted many many times on a metal forum about how unbelievably shit and completely worthless he thinks black metal is, and then later we find out he doesn't even know what black metal is. I find that a little comical, but also a little sad after 40 years. Now I do realize you were mostly joking with the vast majority those comments, but still the message that you're not really head over heels in love with black metal came through. And that's fine, you're of course free to like or not like whatever you want. No one cares what music you or I listen to. Funny though you have seemed to have figured out what thrash metal is. Just not any of the others.

I think you've over analysed things once again. Obviously the piss taking with black metal is done purely for the fun of it, you got that, but not telling the difference between genres is not as cut and dried as you seem to want to make it. Sure there I can hear a difference between some forms of metal just like I can hear a difference between metal and pop music. But that doesn't mean I know what genre each is. I also don't know what the different between death and tech death are, or black and black thrash, or black metal and blackened death. Now the differences could be in the way it's produced, it could be the growl, it could be the ambience, to me it doesn't matter what those differences are, if I like it I'll listen to it. But what I wont do is look down a list of black/ambient/prog/doom/sludge bands and pick what I want to listen to. Just like I wont go down a list of thrash bands and pick what I listen to. I'll listen to what is presented to me and judge if I want more of that.

And for the record I haven't 'figured out' what thrash is, other than a portion of my albums seem to lay in that genre, but I still have never cared enough to understand the differences between technical thrash and thrash.

1 hour ago, KillaKukumba said:

So it's difficult to say to someone, "here you might like this", or "so you liked X, maybe you'll like this"? Some how saying "if you like prog-alt-sludgedoomstoner you'll prefer this?"

My ears tell me what I like and don't like not some weird words.

To be fair, most people would only use a two genre maximum in that sentence.

39 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Oh so there is a two genre max limit now? See all these rules and regulations, it's too much for an old fart to understand.

That was an estimated way of putting it.  Most people are likely to only list one or two genres since they're just having a conversation.  Let's leave it at that.

6 minutes ago, Rexorcist said:

That was an estimated way of putting it.  Most people are likely to only list one or two genres since they're just having a conversation.  Let's leave it at that.

Oh you've gone and done it now Furrier. You've gone and pissed off the Aussie Orca. Better run for your life. You know what they always say: Hell hath no fury like an Orca scorned.

Genres are helpful to categorise bands based on sonic similarity. It’s like a probability modifier, person X is looking for recommendations on new bands to check out, they say, for example, they really enjoy old At the Gates and Dark Tranquillity. Chances are they will like other melodic death metal like Centinex or A Canorous Quintet. They probably won’t like something avant-garde like Portal. That being said I think genre labels have become a little ridiculous with things like pirate metal, what next dungeons and dragons core?

8 minutes ago, Rexorcist said:

That was an estimated way of putting it.  Most people are likely to only list one or two genres since they're just having a conversation.

Now I have to estimate a max limit. Holy crap I just can't keep up with all these rule changes.

8 minutes ago, Rexorcist said:

Let's leave it at that.

But I can twist so much more for the sake of my own entertainment.

3 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Oh you've gone and done it now Furrier. You've gone and pissed off the Aussie Orca. Better run for your life. You know what they always say: Hell hath no fury like an Orca scorned.

See, now GG gets it. He's got no idea about the differences between a shark and an orca, but he plays along. He even suggests that one should run away from sub-genres that live in the water. His gift of giving knows no boundaries.

21 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

See, now GG gets it. He's got no idea about the differences between a shark and an orca, but he plays along. He even suggests that one should run away from sub-genres that live in the water. His gift of giving knows no boundaries.

You should have worked on that joke a few minutes longer til it was somewhat funny. 

23 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

what next dungeons and dragons core?

Isn't it obvious? Orca-core!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 11:17 PM, Rexorcist said:

I don't know about  others, but genre classifications always help me find exactly what I'm in the mood for.  Judging by album covers would be the ideal method of guessing without them, and you don't want to be in the mood for something totally monstrous and Sabbathy and then end up with a pop album.  Hence the late and great Meat Loaf.  True, people still judge whether or not they want to buy an album by the cover sometimes, but still.

I'm with you on this rexorcist. Most times I know the genres of music I like so I buy more from that specific genre and after some listening  to a few albums I  get one.Occasionally I want something a bit different  so quite often I look up some interesting sub genre I like the sound of and I play some tracks till I get something I like.  Subgenres just make it easier to find what music I like. It can be a bit complicated as there are always bands that are not exactly just one genre of Subgenre but overall it's a positive. 

On 8/11/2022 at 3:02 PM, Rexorcist said:

I don't know why this isn't talked about as an official subgenre when we have so many key bands in this specific vein of doom: Sleep, Electric Wizard, Ufomammut, YOB, Spirit Caravan, Catherdral, Dopelord, Monolord, Spirit Caravan, Ogre and Goatsnake.  And that doesn't even scratch the surface; these were tagged as stoner and doom on several websites.  Even later Trouble albums follow this vein from what I hear.  I mean, the two flow so well together, maybe even too well to ignore.  And I was able to run a study on Rateyourmusic: from studio albums and live releases alone, we have more than 700 albums in this vein.  I'd say we got a style worth talking about.

Pleased we see eye to eye  on this and thanks for the thumbs up. Re stoner doom who are your favourite bands?