Stoner Doom

Rexorcist

I don't know why this isn't talked about as an official subgenre when we have so many key bands in this specific vein of doom: Sleep, Electric Wizard, Ufomammut, YOB, Spirit Caravan, Catherdral, Dopelord, Monolord, Spirit Caravan, Ogre and Goatsnake.  And that doesn't even scratch the surface; these were tagged as stoner and doom on several websites.  Even later Trouble albums follow this vein from what I hear.  I mean, the two flow so well together, maybe even too well to ignore.  And I was able to run a study on Rateyourmusic: from studio albums and live releases alone, we have more than 700 albums in this vein.  I'd say we got a style worth talking about.

Stoner Doom is talked about as a variant of both Stoner and doom metal though. In The same way that funeral doom, doom/death, etc I discussed. The reason it isn’t talked about at a unique standalone Sean Rowe is, again just like doom/death, Because the genre occupies a space between two distinct styles of metal taking elements from both.

because the genre occupies a space between two distinct styles of metal taking elements from both.

While we are on the subject I actually infinitely prefer forest of equilibrium to any of the Stoner doom albums cathedral released.

4 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

There's a whole separate section for it:

https://www.metalforum.com/forum/183-stoner-metal/

Stoner and doom arents really the same thing, though.  I mean specifically that combination of the two, and that is absent in both the doom and the stoner subforums.  The purpose of this board is to address that absence, and the absence around the web.

17 minutes ago, Rexorcist said:

Stoner and doom arents really the same thing, though.  I mean specifically that combination of the two, and that is absent in both the doom and the stoner subforums.  The purpose of this board is to address that absence, and the absence around the web.

Dude it’s not a standalone genre. Stoner doom =stoner+doom. It has a thread already, respect the enthusiasm but we don’t need duplicate topics.

46 minutes ago, Rexorcist said:

I don't know why this isn't talked about as an official subgenre when we have so many key bands in this specific vein of doom: Sleep, Electric Wizard, Ufomammut, YOB, Spirit Caravan, Catherdral, Dopelord, Monolord, Spirit Caravan, Ogre and Goatsnake.  And that doesn't even scratch the surface; these were tagged as stoner and doom on several websites.  Even later Trouble albums follow this vein from what I hear.  I mean, the two flow so well together, maybe even too well to ignore.  And I was able to run a study on Rateyourmusic: from studio albums and live releases alone, we have more than 700 albums in this vein.  I'd say we got a style worth talking about.

I'll typically pick up what I'll decide are 2 or 3 really good stoner doom albums each year which makes it less than 1% of my purchases, but still it's definitely a style I can enjoy when it's done well. And it definitely gets talked about as if it were an official sub-genre the way 'groove metal' does. There have been several entire Youtube channels devoted to stoner rock who mostly all have the word doom in their names and they all post a seemingly endless stream of new stoner albums. Not all doom is stoner but I'd say most stoner rock is stoner doom. 700 albums is way too low of an estimate, there have been thousands more than that. It's hey-day was over 20 years ago though so it might not be easy to get a large group of general metalheads to get real excited over the prospect of talking about it unless you stumbled into an enclave of stoner enthusiasts somewhere. But like dad and Blivvie have said this forum has sections for more sub-genres than you could shake a stick at, including stoner. I guess having dedicated sections for this stuff makes it easier to find for new people like you.

28 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Dude it’s not a standalone genre. Stoner doom =stoner+doom. It has a thread already, respect the enthusiasm but we don’t need duplicate topics.

I was linked to the "stoner metal" subforum but no one linked me to a specific thread for the stoner and doom combination, and I checked all the threads there, and the way I see it this thread could be placed in either forum.  Honestly, I really don't wanna argue this.

26 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

700 albums is way too low of an estimate, there have been thousands more than that. It's hey-day was over 20 years ago though so it might not be easy to get a large group of general metalheads to get real excited over the prospect of talking about it unless you stumbled into an enclave of stoner enthusiasts somewhere. But like dad and Blivvie have said this forum has sections for more sub-genres than you could shake a stick at, including stoner. I guess having dedicated sections for this stuff makes it easier to find for new people like you.

Maybe.  It was only the one website.  But to be fair I specifically looked for albums on that site that were tagged with both "stoner metal" as opposed to rock and "doom metal" as primaries.  I also left out extended plays, demos and comps.  But if what you say is true about the combo being way above 700, then I think this is the perfect place for discussion and recommendations of that specific vein.

3 minutes ago, Rexorcist said:

You linked me to the "stoner metal" subforum but you didn't link me to a specific thread for the stoner and doom combination, and I checked all the threads there, and the way I see it this thread could be placed in either forum.  

You'll find specific band threads for some of those groups in the OP scattered around both the doom and stoner subforums. Just like with some other genre combos, people love putting stuff in the right places but have different ideas about where they belong. Don't get too hung up on the semantics... the admin still hasn't gotten around to making a separate pirate metal subforum, and that's been in the queue for years.

If you absolutely must have a thread called Stoner Doom in order to feel comfortable posting about, I dunno, Sleep or Om or whoever, have at it. Just try to avoid duplicate topics, because we may wind up merging or deleting them, and don't be sad if the discussion isn't popping off in the way you had hoped. 

I'm not a mod and would never have any desire to be a forum cop. But I think they're saying the thread for this stoner doom hybrid sub-genre should be placed in the stoner metal forum, not in the general chat section. But like I said most stoner rock (more than half) is already stoner doom, so stoner metal, stoner rock, stoner doom, it's all semantics.

Maybe dad could just move this thread over to the stoner section for you.

But this isn't the general chat section.  Help me out here because the coffee hasn't kicked in.

3 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

You'll find specific band threads for some of those groups in the OP scattered around both the doom and stoner subforums. Just like with some other genre combos, people love putting stuff in the right places but have different ideas about where they belong. Don't get too hung up on the semantics... the admin still hasn't gotten around to making a separate pirate metal subforum, and that's been in the queue for years.

If you absolutely must have a thread called Stoner Doom in order to feel comfortable posting about, I dunno, Sleep or Om or whoever, have at it. Just try to avoid duplicate topics, because we may wind up merging or deleting them, and don't be sad if the discussion isn't popping off in the way you had hoped. 

But I still haven't been linked to this so called original thread, just a stoner subforum who's only reference to doom was Candlemass's Door to Doom.  Help me out again, what's the original THREAD as opposed to a subforum?  Because I checked for a stoner doom specific thread.

35 minutes ago, Rexorcist said:

But this isn't the general chat section.  Help me out here because the coffee hasn't kicked in.

But I still haven't been linked to this so called original thread, just a stoner subforum who's only reference to doom was Candlemass's Door to Doom.  Help me out again, what's the original THREAD as opposed to a subforum?  Because I checked for a stoner doom specific thread.

Hey man...don't get bogged down on semantics. What FA and Relentless are saying is that there's both a Stoner metal thread and a Doom metal thread. You are welcome to use either one to talk about stoner doom bands, but we don't need a totally separate thread for "stoner doom" since it falls between either of those categories.

4 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Hey man...don't get bogged down on semantics. What FA and Relentless are saying is that there's both a Stoner metal thread and a Doom metal thread. You are welcome to use either one to talk about stoner doom bands, but we don't need a totally separate thread for "stoner doom" since it falls between either of those categories.

So the mods are just weary against combination genres?

30 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I'm not a mod and would never have any desire to be a forum cop. But I think they're saying the thread for this stoner doom hybrid sub-genre should be placed in the stoner metal forum, not in the general chat section. But like I said most stoner rock (more than half) is already stoner doom, so stoner metal, stoner rock, stoner doom, it's all semantics.

I just thought the kid might like to see the Stoner section since it seemed like he was specifically looking for that, and maybe see that the bands he was looking for hadn't been completely, inexplicably neglected by the hive mind.

Some years ago, when we migrated the forum over to IPB, we had a few brainstorming sessions about how to streamline the forum, and we had a plan to get rid of the subgenre forums in favor of larger catch-all sections for more and less extreme stuff, as well as a bunch of other reorganization that made sense at the time. The admin got really busy with other things and it never happened (note the careful use of passive voice). We, the staff, are pretty quick to jump on stuff that looks like excess thread proliferation because we had so fucking many duplicates scattered throughout the admittedly labyrinthine and naive structure of this wonderful place when we first got promoted to librarians, and there was a lot of confusing and annoying work trying to make things ready for a big change that (passive voice) has not materialized. In that sense, we may be fighting last year's war. But yeah maybe this goes in the Stoner Metal section, since we still have one.

31 minutes ago, Rexorcist said:

Dude, it's cool. Don't worry about it. Post some stoner doom stuff here. We might move the thread. The old stoner doom thread may have been merged or deleted years ago, I don't see it either. You aren't missing anything. Everything is fine. I expect nothing less than a resurrection of the genre, right here in this thread. Something something heyday.

1 hour ago, Rexorcist said:

I still haven't been linked to this so called original thread, just a stoner subforum who's only reference to doom was Candlemass's Door to Doom.  Help me out again, what's the original THREAD as opposed to a subforum?  Because I checked for a stoner doom specific thread.

There is no thread, I looked and you're right. There are sub forums for both stoner metal and doom metal, but no dedicated stoner doom thread. Not sure why Blivvie was talking about duplicate threads. If they won't move this one to stoner then just start a thread under stoner metal for stoner doom bands and talk about your hybrid sub-genre there. Or just use this one because it's already here now with 13 posts on it. Or just start a thread in stoner section about whichever band(s) you wanna talk about. But like dad said just don't be disappointed if you don't get much enthusiastic participation.

Sleep I like...High on Fire does nothing for me

20 minutes ago, Rexorcist said:

So the mods are just weary against combination genres?

Nothing like that...As I'm sure you've seen by now, it's just to keep down of forum clutter and minimize thread doubling. Honestly, it's pretty lax around here. I think most of us tend to forget these genre specific threads even exist since we tend to wander off subject quite a bit in the general metal thread

I'm another one that never got on board with Sleep, although I don't mind High On Fire. Electric Wizard and Spirit Caravan (which were important enough to name twice in the OP) I can get on board with. I don't really know or care about the difference between stoner, doom and stoner doom but I do listen to a number of bands that M-A suggest fit into at least one of those categories.

Stoner, doom, stoner doom, stoner sludge, etc etc etc, this is why I hate genres and sub genres. I remember in the 90's when no one wanted to sound like someone else, or they didn't want their bands 'classified' as something despite being exactly that kind of band. I gave in and stopped keeping up back then and I doubt I'll ever understand it now that I'm a grumpy old bastard.

Bands still don't like being classified and pigeonholed for the most part and that's fine for them, but it's totally irrelevant. Sub-genres are for the listeners and consumers of music so we can understand what the other guys are talking about and they can certainly help us find what we're looking for. I see no problem with ignoring them if you really don't care, to each his own. And I see no real utility in splitting hairs between stoner rock and stoner metal and stoner doom or what have you. But when you run across someone who's completely anti sub-genre it does kinda make it difficult to talk music with them if they don't even want to learn or understand the basic fundamental differences between some of the larger main branches on the metal tree like: thrash, black, death, heavy and doom.

I don't know about  others, but genre classifications always help me find exactly what I'm in the mood for.  Judging by album covers would be the ideal method of guessing without them, and you don't want to be in the mood for something totally monstrous and Sabbathy and then end up with a pop album.  Hence the late and great Meat Loaf.  True, people still judge whether or not they want to buy an album by the cover sometimes, but still.